Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe people make happiness, or stumble upon it?

Question Do you believe people make happiness, or stumble upon it?

I know there are many strong views on this, so I was wondering what you guys think.

It would be interesting to hear both sides, because I know there can be great arguments made for both perspectives.

Some believe happiness is something that you just happen to stumble upon, such as chance encounters with certain people, unlikely situations, or just plain luck. Whereas others take a more active approach, believing that it is something to be grasped with your own two hands, something that you don't wait for, but rather pursue intently.

Whats your two cents?

happiness is something that can only be defined by someone natively. it's not something that can be completely empirically agreed upon.

"We shouldn't strive to live better lives, but instead strive to be better people"
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Happiness... is there really such a thing?
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    happiness is something that can only be defined by someone natively. it's not something that can be completely empirically agreed upon.
    Happiness, as in the general feeling characterized by emotions such as joy /satisfaction/contentment. Not exactly the circumstances that cause it, but the general feeling itself, regardless of the native cause. Regardless of whether it's "this makes me happy" or "that makes me happy", there is a "happy" which is universally perceived by everyone nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    "We shouldn't strive to live better lives, but instead strive to be better people"
    Nice one (:
    Last edited by SolidWolverine; 16th October 2012 at 7:29 PM.

I hate when people say money can't buy happiness. It damn sure can.
    Last edited by Jb; 16th October 2012 at 8:12 PM.

There is no such thing as happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    There is no such thing as happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidWolverine View Post
    Happiness, as in the general feeling characterized by emotions such as joy /satisfaction/contentment. Not exactly the circumstances that cause it, but the general feeling itself, regardless of the native cause. Regardless of whether it's "this makes me happy" or "that makes me happy", there is a "happy" which is universally perceived by everyone nonetheless
    This is funny, because all of these right here, literally point out the truth about the construct of the idea of "happiness" in itself thru various multi-angular viewpoints, all of which thru various degrees are true.

Excellent show fellow peeps.

For either, some people do and some people don't. There's no universal form that "happiness" takes, so how can you specify for everyone that they make happiness or they stumble upon it? Who's to say those are even different all the time, anyway?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

^an excellently observed question my socratic friend.

well id depends on how you define happiness.
    if it is simply a good time then yeah money can buy that...for a while at least.
    but if u consider it something deeper then you really have to strive to attain it.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I believe both. I lean more towards making it, though. One is not happy simply because the stumble upon good fortune; ie. the lottery or being born rich. One is happy because they strive for something(s) that give them joy and personal confidence.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Happiness is an emotion. You can't make or stumble upon it. Emotions are generally side effect of a particular outcome. So you don't want to strive for happiness itself, you want to strive for an outcome that makes you happy. And in any case, emotions are ephemeral, so while you may be happy at one moment, it is never permanent. It will eventually fade and may even be replaced by more negative emotions.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Happiness, like most emotions, isn't something you can simply and objectively examine and measure because each person experiences it differently.

That said, I do believe happiness is strongest and easiest to obtain and retain if it comes intrinsically. The same thing applies to motivation - it's easiest to become motivated and stay motivated if it comes from the individual rather than having an external source.

But whatever makes you happy. :>

~Psychic

Happiness is a combination of whatever brings you pleasure. It's all based upon whatever your body and mind find enjoyable. Some things also make you happy like jokes that make you laugh and the fulfillment of chemical desires such as eating, sleeping, and breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I hate when people say money can't buy happiness. It damn sure can.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a 72 inch Plasma screen TV with 3D. Those make me happy .

Quote Originally Posted by /b/ board
    What does Cheese Pizza mean?

I believe it varies with everyone, for example, I can't make happiness for myself only a few people I know can make me happy secondly I usually RARELY stumble upon it every now and then, not that often

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Happiness, like most emotions, isn't something you can simply and objectively examine and measure because each person experiences it differently.

That said, I do believe happiness is strongest and easiest to obtain and retain if it comes intrinsically. The same thing applies to motivation - it's easiest to become motivated and stay motivated if it comes from the individual rather than having an external source.

But whatever makes you happy. :>

~Psychic
    ^^Thanks Psychic, your right on the money.

This is what I mean guys. Happiness is experienced differently by everyone and is a combination of the things you find bring you pleasure in life, the things that you enjoy.

Paraphrased, the true question is, "Do you think people intrinsically attain happiness, or rather seek it from an external source?"

I actually believe it's a combination. some things we come across and are caused happiness... other things we must pursue ourselves in order to be happy.
    I am who I am. There's nothing more than that. I am a geek and a nerd and a musician, a future music educator. I play pokemon and watch movies with a passion. I am who I am.
    Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity
    To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
    Would you capture it or just let it slip? - Eminem
    “Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” - Beethoven

I think you can stumble upon happiness by luck as well as pursue it.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    "Some people cause happiness wherever they go, others cause happiness whenever they go"~Author unknown
    i like this quote

I think both are true. Life is what you make it, but you can also stop and appreciate what you have now, but don't settle.

Technically money can't buy you happiness. It's the act of buying things you want that makes you happy. :P

Happiness is a worthless emotion.....

We create our own happiness which can be stumbled upon. However, the same can be said about many other emotions, especially madness...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Happiness is a worthless emotion.....
    Being a sociopath is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Oh shut up. I swear when I read things this stupid I want to bang my head on my computer over and over.

Oh, right. Your username is "Poetry" It figures.

In other news, money buys happiness.
    Last edited by Dryzera; 19th October 2012 at 1:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast