Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Competitive Forum Suggestions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    As things have slowed down here, I am going to be bringing up new stuff for the competitive section.

First thing I want to bring up is how many of you are interested in the VGC meta-game? If I receive enough feedback I can possibly look at supporting that meta-game a bit more (which could result in a new sub-forum for it, more tournaments and challenges etc).
    Not quite sure why the VGCs community on this site didn't respond to this sooner.

Anywho, I personally am very interested in the VGC metagame. I pretty much don't play OU anymore because of it. If you are still thinking about this, I can try to get this out to others who play VGCs to get their input as well.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

As things have slowed down here, I am going to be bringing up new stuff for the competitive section.

First thing I want to bring up is how many of you are interested in the VGC meta-game? If I receive enough feedback I can possibly look at supporting that meta-game a bit more (which could result in a new sub-forum for it, more tournaments and challenges etc).
    THIS!!!!!!!

I am so down for this! We have a decent flow of VGC/Double Battlers here on Serebii, and giving VGC its own forum would be really great, both for us already playing in VGC as well as for those who don't really know what it is and might want to learn more about it. It would serve as a way to both give us our own outlet, as well as serve as advertisement for the metagame as a whole!

I honestly don't even competitively battle in a metagame other than VGC. I've been wanting a VGC Subforum since 2011; this is great news! I hope it pulls through!

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

I am 100% up for a VGC forum. Its really the only style of battling that I take part in.

Im for it. It'll bring out some unknown VGCers (hopefully) and add some spice to the forums.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

I'd love to see a VGC forum added here! Generally when I battle, it's in the VGC format. That's how I learned to battle and it's been the style I'm most comfortable with ever since. It'd be great to have a forum dedicated to it on Serebii!

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I'm a little surprised that a VGC subforum wasn't already on this site yet, but I support one! I almost only battle VGC in the metagame so I'm glad they're considering the idea!

Spoiler:- Credits:

VGC fan myself here... Would love a sub-forum specifically for VGC, since many people don't know what it is. Got back into Ubers, but VGC is way more fun than singles. The strategies, the team work, the unexpected. So much can be great in doubles, since unloved pokes can have a new lease of life (Vanilluxe is great in VGC!).

So yeah, a VGC sub forum would be great =]

So this is getting some more support then? Well count me in. I'm not too competitive now, but I'd say that the vast differences from standard singles and VGC rules are enough to warrant a new sub-forum. Especially when VGC rules are an official set of rules used in tournaments, Wi-Fi and VGC itself.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Get on it! Maybe if we get more people informed on the VGC meta, we can actually get some decent rates on VGC RMT's instead of having them ignored or, worse, commented on by clueless people saying the team sucks and asking why there's no Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin support.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

I'd love to see a VGC subforum. It could even bring some new interest to the metagame.

Spoiler:- Credits:

Black Ice Xat
    Black Ice Youtube Channel

My Youtube Channel
    Battle videos and card pack openings

Soul Bound Studios Channel
    Destinies Divided (Star Wars fan fic) and Duster Brothers (original)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    Get on it! Maybe if we get more people informed on the VGC meta, we can actually get some decent rates on VGC RMT's instead of having them ignored or, worse, commented on by clueless people saying the team sucks and asking why there's no Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin support.
    This is very important hahah. If VGC got its own subforum, the quality of rates would probably go up, since the Single Battlers would finally realize that it's actually for a metagame other than Singles. xD I had like 4 Single Battlers rate my VGC team and they called me a horrible team builder and that I should go back to the drawing board. But they didn't even have anything to say about the Doubles metagame, just that it wasn't Singles worthy and that I didn't know what i was doing. :P

Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!

VGC forum huh... I've been slowly beginning to enjoy this type of style, still learning an effective method though. Not gonna get any easier now that to the 6th gen XD
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Totally for the VGC subforum idea. sounds interesting, and im curious to see how it'll carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    To be fair the RMT problem is actually universal, not only VGCs. I've not really seen too many quality rates for a while now (even for singles). It would be nice to have a little bit more activity in the RMT section in general. But, I feel the problem comes with the team themselves. Personally, I tend to avoid even reading the thread if the descriptions are lacking or if it's purely text. Pictures tend to make it easier to understand and read, as well as rate.

I <3 this idea~! I've been a VGC battler since my first VGC in 2011 I've been waiting for this moment and i've been really excited for 6th gen VGC and how things spice up~* I am in favor of this idea fully~*

my xat avvie (c) me
    {~Friend Safari : GHOST : Pumpkaboo | Golurk | Lampent~}
    {~Total self-caught shinies: 92~} {~Most recent shiny : shiny Heatran(OR SR)~}
    {~3DS FC : 4012-3813-9306 IGN Emii(Y version/OR version)~}

Join TEF in the Guild section! Click here!

Not quite sure why the VGCs community on this site didn't respond to this sooner.
    I was wondering the same thing lol.

Alright, will get this sorted out. The forum will be titled Nintendo Formats so it covers the GBU and VGC metagames. Thanks for responding.

I would love to see a VGC forum! It's a splendid idea!

This would be a great idea as Serebii.net had not reported on when Regional's were this Summer and alas I missed out on it. Speaking of which this would be a great way to announce when the next Regional Tournament is.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbi Z View Post
    This would be a great idea as Serebii.net had not reported on when Regional's were this Summer and alas I missed out on it. Speaking of which this would be a great way to announce when the next Regional Tournament is.
    You could always check Pokemon.com for these kinds of things. Don't blame serebii for missing something when the answer is just a click away on another sight. Don't mean to be rude, but don't say it's serebii's fault :/

As for the VGC forums, my only problem with it is the risk of it turning into one of those things that is active for 1-2 weeks, maybe a month, but then just dies up. Do I think it would be a god addition when Gen 6 is released? Yes. Right now? Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrail View Post
    You could always check Pokemon.com for these kinds of things. Don't blame serebii for missing something when the answer is just a click away on another sight. Don't mean to be rude, but don't say it's serebii's fault :/

As for the VGC forums, my only problem with it is the risk of it turning into one of those things that is active for 1-2 weeks, maybe a month, but then just dies up. Do I think it would be a god addition when Gen 6 is released? Yes. Right now? Eh.
    You may be misunderstanding Marbi's intention of what he said. He wasn't necessarily blaming serebii. He was just saying it would have been nice to have serebii reporting and keeping up with the VGCs is all.

The thing is, when the forum is new, there will be ALOT to discuss from the beginning, but the things to discuss pretty much becomes repetitive and hard to maintain with new things, which will explain the inactivity on other forums. The thing is, I can almost guarantee (just don't use this against me later lol) that during the World Championships and other ICs, the forum would be active.

And, VGCs has actually become an ongoing thing, so the earlier the forum is up, the better. It wouldn't really make much of a difference when it comes up~

On another note, can't wait till the forum goes up!

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    You may be misunderstanding Marbi's intention of what he said. He wasn't necessarily blaming serebii. He was just saying it would have been nice to have serebii reporting and keeping up with the VGCs is all.

The thing is, when the forum is new, there will be ALOT to discuss from the beginning, but the things to discuss pretty much becomes repetitive and hard to maintain with new things, which will explain the inactivity on other forums. The thing is, I can almost guarantee (just don't use this against me later lol) that during the World Championships and other ICs, the forum would be active.

And, VGCs has actually become an ongoing thing, so the earlier the forum is up, the better. It wouldn't really make much of a difference when it comes up~

On another note, can't wait till the forum goes up!
    Yeah. I mean, VGC is actually picking up a lot of speed. We have a pretty good going in the Double Trouble Club, and by having a VGC Forum, we'll be able to do much more with it. RMTs are a really big thing, since having people that create Grade-A Quality RMTs will be able to finally show their VGC teams and help some of the less talented trainers see into our minds and help them get into the mindset. It also creates a more organized way for us VGC players to organize our thoughts, ask our questions, and get some good discussions going.

What most players don't realize is that VGC is actually a really big thing, especially lately with TPCi putting a lot of work and effort into their Play! Pokemon tournaments and events. I'm a little surprised that it's taking so long for Serebii's competitive forums to pick up on this. But it's fine, because it's starting to pick up the traction it deserves. Hopefully, Serebii's website will start at least announcing these things, instead of having little notes every now and then. VGC is something that the Pokemon Company puts effort in, and should be advertised to a greater extent on Pokemon websites than it is at current. But that's neither here nor there. A VGC forum will thrive, although it probably won't be as lively as the normal Competitive Forum. But at the rate of things, the Competitive Forums are kind of slow anyways. With the advent of a new Generation, there will be a lot of new Pokemon to play with, leading to lots of discussions and stuff.

Also, a lot of people are ignorant to VGC, including competitive players who never looked at VGC past the 2009 format, which was awfully organized. There's a lot more to this metagame than most people know, and having a VGC forum could help educate some of the less informed players on the metagame.

I wholeheartedly pledge my support. I've played vgc every since 2012 and I love the format (despite some balance problems). It would be great for serebii to create a place for VGC players to interact.

None shall oppose our reign!

Check out my fanfic, Pokelypse chronicles. You won't regret it.

http://pokelypse.blogspot.com/

Input is appreciated.

@Justin

1) I have seen maybe 1-2 high quality VGC RMT's in the last few months (Hell I've only seen 5-10 quality ones total if that much)
    2) I agree that the comp section is in a major decline, and one reason I feel this is that people repeatedly post like they know something (When they haven't even studied things to know something), are ignorant, or are (In the RMT section) are posting teams that have no synergy whatsoever and they just want to use against their friends or something (Hence the name Competitive RMT's).
    3) You said it yourself, Gen 6 will cause us to pick up steam, which is why it should wait until then.
    4) I've tried VGC, and its a relatively fun tier, but I'm not going to deny that there are some balancing issues.
    5) Being able to help less talented players develop is more than likely not going to happen. Name any players that became relatively skilled players by posting in Serebii's comp section (Competitive Discussion) and reading. Nearly every new decent to good players has become good by [B]participating in guilds[B]. If you can't name any, then you're right! Serebii's competitive section is extremely lack luster compared to those of Smogon and PO, and most discussions turn into "Well I really like this Pokemon and there's this gimmick that works about 5% of the time to I think it's a really Underrated Pokemon." Or there's people posting that have no knowledge whatsoever and think that Overrated is the same thing as Overpowered (Go check the thread if you don't believe me.) So basically, unless you VGC players really step up your game on in thread discussion (Because as Sena has said time and time again, no official tutoring programs) and new players stop being ignorant, it is very unlikely you will be successful in allowing newer players to learn to play in the VGC format on a competitive level (Even though in VGC all you really have to do is gain a knowledge of the tier and use a standard TR team, or at least that's how easy it was when I played it.)

And just so no one jumps on me and says I'm just a guy that hates VGC, or something stupid like that, I said I was fine with getting one, but I think it should wait until Gen 6.

@Justin

1) I have seen maybe 1-2 high quality VGC RMT's in the last few months (Hell I've only seen 5-10 quality ones total if that much)
    2) I agree that the comp section is in a major decline, and one reason I feel this is that people repeatedly post like they know something (When they haven't even studied things to know something), are ignorant, or are (In the RMT section) are posting teams that have no synergy whatsoever and they just want to use against their friends or something (Hence the name Competitive RMT's).
    3) You said it yourself, Gen 6 will cause us to pick up steam, which is why it should wait until then.
    4) I've tried VGC, and its a relatively fun tier, but I'm not going to deny that there are some balancing issues.
    5) Being able to help less talented players develop is more than likely not going to happen. Name any players that became relatively skilled players by posting in Serebii's comp section (Competitive Discussion) and reading. Nearly every new decent to good players has become good by [B]participating in guilds[B]. If you can't name any, then you're right! Serebii's competitive section is extremely lack luster compared to those of Smogon and PO, and most discussions turn into "Well I really like this Pokemon and there's this gimmick that works about 5% of the time to I think it's a really Underrated Pokemon." Or there's people posting that have no knowledge whatsoever and think that Overrated is the same thing as Overpowered (Go check the thread if you don't believe me.) So basically, unless you VGC players really step up your game on in thread discussion (Because as Sena has said time and time again, no official tutoring programs) and new players stop being ignorant, it is very unlikely you will be successful in allowing newer players to learn to play in the VGC format on a competitive level (Even though in VGC all you really have to do is gain a knowledge of the tier and use a standard TR team, or at least that's how easy it was when I played it.)

And just so no one jumps on me and says I'm just a guy that hates VGC, or something stupid like that, I said I was fine with getting one, but I think it should wait until Gen 6.

I have two things to say; one is a joke and one is not :3

1. The metagame is going to stay the same through late october anyway because they won't make the first VGC regional on x and y because people would not have enough time to get ready. they did this for the last switch from bw to bw2 in the beginning of this season, even though the metagame shift was very puny.

2. you probably are a VGC hater just because you like having sleep clause on x3

Quote Originally Posted by joej m View Post
    2. you probably are a VGC hater just because you like having sleep clause on x3
    Don't diss the sexiness that is the sleep clause :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast