Thread: team of winners?

Default team of winners?

XHi just recently beat the main game and became champion. I understand there are more battles so I want to get a nice team ready. Any advice from experienced trainers would be much appreciated, as I am fairly new to recent pokemon games

Cresselia:
    Psychic
    Moonlight
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    <Levitate>
    (Careful)
    -Leftovers

Slacking:
    Bulk Up
    Facade
    Thunderbolt
    Toxic
    <Truant>
    (Hardy)
    -Silk Scarf

Ivysaur:
    Giga Drain
    Leaf Storm
    Sleep Powder
    Sludge Bomb
    <Overgrow>
    (Careful)
    -Big Root

Charzard:
    Fly
    Flare Blitz
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    <Solar Power>
    (Lax)
    -Kings Rock

I have a couple Dratini...one is Japanese with Extreme Speed but has bashful nature. The other has adament nature but no Extreme Speed. Which should I make my Dragonite? Furthermore, should I judge pokemon based on their nature? As for the last space, I was thinking about Vaporeon but she just seems too vulerable. Maybe Mudkips final evolution?
    Last edited by .38; 6th February 2013 at 6:52 AM.
    Black 2 trader
    1679-2590-2393

Quote Originally Posted by .38 View Post
    XHi just recently beat the main game and became champion. I understand there are more battles so I want to get a nice team ready. Any advice from experienced trainers would be much appreciated, as I am fairly new to recent pokemon games

Cresselia:
    Psychic
    Moonlight
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    <Levitate>
    (Bold)
    -Light Clay

Light Clay allows the screens to be set up for a longer period of time. Also, Bold nature as Careful reduces your SpA whereas Bold reduces your Attack, which isn't important for Cresselia.

A Calm Mind set can also be used, if you want, for greater offensive power.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
    Bold nature
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Psychic / Psyshock
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Substitute

Substitute helps you set up more Calm Minds, with your HP being replenished by Leftovers. Psychic or Psyshock for STAB, and Ice Beam to ensure you're not walled by Dark-types.

Slacking:
    Return
    Earthquake
    Night Slash
    Giga Impact

<Truant>
    (Jolly)
    -Muscle Band

Slaking has a monstrous Attack stat so you really should be focusing on using it rather than Special moves. Return is a powerful and reliable STAB, with Earthquake hitting Steel- and Rock-types and Night Slash hitting Ghost-types. Giga Impact isinsanely powerful; the only drawback to Giga Impact on Slaking is you won't be able to switch after using it, which means you'll have to stay in for another turn while Slaking loafs around, whereas if you use Return, Earthquake or Night Slash, you can switch out after you attack so you won't remain vulnerable for a turn.

Ivysaur:
    Giga Drain
    Leech Seed
    Sleep Powder
    Sludge Bomb
    <Overgrow>
    (Bold)
    -Big Root

Leech Seed for more healing. Careful nature reduces your Special attack which isn't a good move on a Pokemon using Special moves, so go with Bold instead imo. Why Ivysaur and not Venusaur, btw?

Charzard:
    Fly
    Flare Blitz
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    <Solar Power>
    (Lax)
    -Kings Rock

You have two options for Charizard. You can either run a Sunny Day set (which pairs well with Charizard's ability, Solar Power) or a special Sweeper set which doesn't rely on the Sun. Sun doesn't really hurt any of your team that much (and if you can get a Chlorophyll Venusaur I'd say definitely go with Sun) but in the end it's your choice.

Charizard @ Heat Rock
    Modest
    ~ Sunny Day
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Solarbeam
    ~ Roost

Heat Rock to ensure the Sun is up for as long as possible. Solar Power increases your SpA by 50% and decreases your HP by 12.5% each turn when the Sunlight is harsh. Modest nature ensures you get the most out of this SpA boost. Flamethrower for a powerful and reliable STAB move, and Solarbeam for a powerful coverage move. Roost to heal off the 'recoil' damage from Solar Power.

Alternatively, as I mentioned previously, you can run a set which doesn't rely on Sunny Day.

Charizard @ Life Orb
    Modest / Timid nature
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Air Slash
    ~ Roost

Flamethrower is, once again, a reliable STAB move, but you're free to go with Fire Blast if you wish. Air Slash for secondary STAB, and Focus Blast to hit Rock-types who would otherwise wall you. Roost to heal off Life Orb damage.

I have a couple Dratini...one is Japanese with Extreme Speed but has bashful nature. The other has adament nature but no Extreme Speed. Which should I make my Dragonite?

Is Extremespeed an egg move? As in, can you breed you Japanese Dratini to get more Extremespeed Dratini? If so, I'd say breed some until you get an Adamant or Jolly Dragonite. If not, stick with the Adamant one without Extremespeed that you have.

Dragonite @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    Adamant / Jolly
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Roost / Earthquake / Extremespeed

Dragon Dance for boosting, Dragon Claw for STAB, Fire Punch for coverage. If you run Life Orb, Roost would be helpful for healing damage. If not, Earthquake can be used for (admittedly rather redundant) coverage. That said, if your Adamant Dragonite has the Multiscale ability, definitely use it and run the set above, with Leftovers or Lum Berry and Roost as your fourth move, allowing you to reach full HP and boost your defences due to Multiscale.

Furthermore, should I judge pokemon based on their nature?

It depends on what you're using them for. For in-game playthroughs, it's not that important to get Pokemon with good natures (although it definitely helps if your, say, Chandelure doesn't have a -SpA nature). If you're playing competitively, on wi-fi, in the Battle Subway or in PWT, it's best to get Pokemon of optimum natures.

As for the last space, I was thinking about Vaporeon but she just seems too vulerable. Maybe Mudkips final evolution?

Both are very solid Pokemon and ultimately it's up to you. Vaporeon can provide support in the form of Wish to Charizard and Dragonite should it be needed, whereas Swampert can tank hits and hit back hard.
    Comments in bold. Hope this helps; if you need anything else, feel free to let me (or anyone else) know!

Than

To my understanding, ExtremeSpeed is an egg move that can only be learned in a previous generation. I got it from a random GTS trade. Only got Ivysaur right now because he hasn't evolved yet. Also, the Cresselia was gotten through the GTS as well. I should be able to get a different nature when I encounter mine ingame.
    Last edited by .38; 6th February 2013 at 4:19 PM.
    Black 2 trader
    1679-2590-2393

Don't use slaking. It's ability kills it. Use another powerhouse attacker like haxorus or conkeldurr or something fast like whimsicott or Accelgor.
    I claim Salamence and Castform(Rain)!!!;

Fear their power!!!