Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

Hybrid View

Default Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

What do you view on Pokemon designs right now?(6th Gen, we're not entirely sure, also the starters since evolutions and other info on them isn't made.)

I kept seeing arguments of people complaining over how the gens get worse each gen, especially Unova. I have no problem with them.(Trubbish family... I'll not talk about it.)

But I have to say that they vary somewhat, especially Sinnoh if you think of the climate and how similar the Pokemon look. And it's what Ken and the rest want to do.

But what do you think?

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

I think the pokémon design is fantastic and Game Freak does a great job taking a concept or animal and turning it into a pokémon. Which is why I like all 654 pokémon.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

I think some are better than others.

That is all.

For the most part I think all the regions had really good Pokemon designs. Unova is not an exception. Of course some Pokemon designs appeal to me personally more than others. I really like the designs of Umbreon, Luxray and Cubchoo, but hate the designs of the Grimer line, and the Trubbish line.

All Pokemon are unique, but some are better than others. Genwunners should know by now not to talk **** about new Pokemon when they have piles of sludge and magnets.
    I'll make you wet.

6th Gen Starter of Choice- Chespin

Hoenn's my favorite. So many memories...

They get better and better. Sure I have a dislike for a few designs that other people find appealing, but for the most [art I like a lot of them. They don't get worse they just don't get my interest or appeal.
    Technology makes even more complex designs for them possible which is awesome :3
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

I think every generation has had some great designs, some good ones, some poor ones and some terrible ones. Overall, I'd say the designers have done a pretty good job.

I think that the criticism that's hurled at any one generation is mostly rooted in confirmation bias. Those who wish to believe that one generation was particularly bad or particularly good need only focus on the portion of the pokemon in that generation who were particularly bad or particularly good (since every generation has some) and ignore all the rest.

The whining at the start of every new generation is the height of whining where mostly former fans and bitter ex-fans who haven't touched a Pokemon game in years jump to be the first to say "it sucks!"

But as I said, these people most vocal about how supposedly horrible the new Pokemon are are largely ex-fans who were never going to buy or play the game and were never going to like them no matter what.

Most people are fine with the Pokemon designs, new and old. Doesn't mean they like every single one of them, but the people complaining the most are just a very loud, very vocal, but very small minority.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

There are always some Pokemon designs that I like more than others, some of with only recently began to appeal to me.

Though, I will say this, Silver (your rival in Gold & Silver/Heart Gold & Soul Silver) and N look a hell of a lot like Zoroark. When the Pokemon was first shown (before N was shown to the public), I immediately thought of Silver.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Each Pokemon has a good design, some better than others. A lot of complaining comes from unilateral and other shallow thinking. For example, Trubbish. I love it; it's a fish/garbage bag hybrid, so it can fit a real-world niche. But most people look at it and say, "It's a garbage Pokemon." They take it to be garbage, meaning they think its a bad design. They don't realize that it's a fish that has certain properties of and the appearance of a used trash bag, which is pretty frikkin, awesome!

Each generation, it seems, had their own design patterns:
    1: Simple is good, lets throw in a type here or there or combine 2 things (Bulbasaur=plant+dinosaur)
    2: let's have animals, and make them frikkin' BEAUTIFUL!
    3: okay, we're doing fine, lets continue what we're doing. But let's challenge our fans. We're gonna make the designs deeper and multi-dimensional
    4: Twist! Twist! Lets change it up. Scrap the formula and reverse it! It works!
    5: The fans want a big change? Lets give 'em one. We're going to explore drastic variations in Pokemon design and use unused type combinations.

And they're all great.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

There are all good ! nuff said

Almost all pokemon designs are awesome (I'm looking at Garbodor and Muk)
    Current LeafGreen Team:

Gem Lv 40
    Beautifly Lv 41
    Charzin Lv 41
    Falconion Lv 41
    Wiz Lv 42
    Picasso Lv 43

Emerald Team:

Nimbus Lv 26
    Eragon Lv 28
    Geico Lv 28
    Vision Lv 28
    Metallik Lv 31
    Azullerell Lv 33

Quote Originally Posted by Shyy_Guii View Post
    Almost all pokemon designs are awesome (I'm looking at Garbodor and Muk)
    Are you kidding me? Every medium has an acid slime creature (it's pretty much a trope), and it just happens that Pokemon's is Muk. We are the only random whose acid slime is powerful, perverted, horrifying, repulsive, loving, sweet, tender, dispicable, and caring.

And Garbodor seems to be the perfect step-up from Trubbish (Trashbag=>Dump? Yup, tis how it works. Maybe the next ego will be a Poison/Ground landfill?)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

The new designs may look strange to you when you first see them, but it's something you get used to. There's not a single Pokemon I can think of that doesn't look like it belongs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    The new designs may look strange to you when you first see them, but it's something you get used to. There's not a single Pokemon I can think of that doesn't look like it belongs.
    Agreed. I mean you can get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    Each Pokemon has a good design, some better than others. A lot of complaining comes from unilateral and other shallow thinking. For example, Trubbish. I love it; it's a fish/garbage bag hybrid, so it can fit a real-world niche. But most people look at it and say, "It's a garbage Pokemon." They take it to be garbage, meaning they think its a bad design. They don't realize that it's a fish that has certain properties of and the appearance of a used trash bag, which is pretty frikkin, awesome!

Each generation, it seems, had their own design patterns:
    1: Simple is good, lets throw in a type here or there or combine 2 things (Bulbasaur=plant+dinosaur)
    2: let's have animals, and make them frikkin' BEAUTIFUL!
    3: okay, we're doing fine, lets continue what we're doing. But let's challenge our fans. We're gonna make the designs deeper and multi-dimensional
    4: Twist! Twist! Lets change it up. Scrap the formula and reverse it! It works!
    5: The fans want a big change? Lets give 'em one. We're going to explore drastic variations in Pokemon design and use unused type combinations.

And they're all great.

I used to have a problem with Gen V since the designs were different but still they are Pokemon. The Garbodor line I kind have no problem with but the exception of it made by an American. Still they look cool. No one told you that you have to like them though. Everyone has an opinion I know but still it's nothing to hate on something Ken worked on. He drew the inspiration if Oshawott's evolutions by samurai and a sea lion showcase and that's what creativity is.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 7th February 2013 at 5:12 AM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    I used to have a problem with Gen V since the designs were different but still they are Pokemon. The Garbodor line I kind have no problem with but the exception of it made by an American.
    The only westerner in GF is from UK and he made the vanilluxe and Gollurk line.

I dont know bout simple designed pokemon, although some look pretty.
    But I love those cool pokemon from myths.
    Basically I still like the designs.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

The Pokemon designs are something I've always liked, some are more favored then others. With each new generation you have to get use to the new designs. At first they'll seem weird and with me after getting use to them I consider them regular pokemon. I've also noticed with each new generation GF is adding more detail to the pokemon designs. Just simply take a look and compare Gen 1 to Gen 5's designs and just see how Gen 1 mostly consists of simple designs mainly resembling animals/plants or common mythical creatures. While most of Gen 5 pokemon have gone for more detailed designs that most would say is fantasy, having inanimate objects come to life like litwick, an vanillite but still having most that still resemble animals that look more exotic.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

They're good. Now Trubbish is actually pretty original. Yeah, it's a trash bag, but who in their right mind would make a trash bag into a fantasy creature with powers? Gamefreak. New Pokemon may not look appealing at first. When I first saw Victini, I thought GF was getting lazy. Now I love Victini.

Oh and with Gen 6 coming out, we now have a Wyvern and a Rainbow Stag.

Can i be sincere? Yes? Okay then.

I didn't liked the Designs of the new starters. In fact, none of them was appealing to me. Except by the Legendaries...they're awesome and very well made.
    I don't have a problem with any of the newer Pokemon Games, i liked'em more than people think.

The design changed a little? Yes! People cannot deny it, that's a fact, what's so hard to see? Or is my eyes enlightened by Arceus so, i can see other things? Haha!!
    Yes, it changed a bit...maybe "a bit" may seem "a LOT" and, it was a lot! But...was this "change" so bad? To a point where, all games after 2nd gen "Sucks"? I mean, i didn't liked most of 5th Gen pokés at first, but time has passed and now i love'em! It's not my favorite gen, but i like Unova pretty much, eh!
    I really don't consider the "Change of Design" so horrible to a point of...everything is bad.

A Man cannot make an Omelette without breaking the eggs!
    Pokemon (games) cannot be good if it doesn't change...be this change by Design or Gameplay, it doesn't matter; not only pokemons need to evolve.

That's it!
    Last edited by Ana_Julía; 7th February 2013 at 5:54 AM.
    The Black Mages!

Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    No. i don't nickname them. looks idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

Well, Gen 5 is certainly a step up from Gen 4, but I'm still not entirely sold. The only cool legendaries are Zekrom and Kyurem, the trios are really uninteresting, and once again there are just too many legendaries. None of the starters looks interesting or cool, and some of them look like they're supposed to be evolutions of previous Pokémon but aren't, like Bouffalant and Tauros, Alomomola and Luvdisc, and Sigilyph looking like some ulti-Unown. Then we have Gothitelle, which is based off of a human culture, and I really don't like Pokémon that are based on human cultures (this isn't the first time though, happened with Mr. Mime and Jynx too). Many of the Pokémon have what I call the "Snout-syndrome", where they all have the same snout, or atleast their head ends as a snout, goes for Snivy, Zoroark, Reshiram, Cobalion, and way more in this generation, and it always looks kind of stupid. Of course there are also the occassionally ugly ones like Garbodor, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan and such.

Now that was the nasty stuff, Gen 5 also has a lot of cool Pokémon too, Carracosta, Zekrom, Hydreigon and Gigalith are all among my favorite Pokémon ever made. Then there are Pokémon like Volcarona which has awesome origins to it's design, speaking of which, there are also a lot of awesome typings in this generation. We also have our occassional cool Pokémon like Chandelure, Galvantula, Scolipede and Golurk.

Design-wise where would I rank this generation? Over Gen IV and under Gen II, so that'll be: Gen IV<Gen V<Gen II<Gen III=Gen I. At least for me. Sadly for me it does have more downs than ups, sure it has awesome and fun typing to some of the Pokémon, but the majority just look very bad to me, random designs like Cryogonal just look odd, and as I mentioned earlier, the snout-syndrome is there too often, and looking at the legendaries for X and Y it shows no sign of dissappearing again (although it isn't so bad on Yveltal as on the X one). This is of course a subject that is 100% up to each individual's opinion, so nothing I say here is a fact, just my personal experience.

Worth pointing out is that the gameplay is heaps better than ever.

Also, just a minor pet peeve of mine, but the names are pretty odd for many of these Pokémon, and I still have a hard time remembering them, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Masterofknees; 7th February 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Holy crap, I just remembered these forums...haven't been on in ages...

Anyhow, the grass type looks like oshawott, who never looked good in my opinion. The fire type is my favorite, and the water type is unique.

Honestly, it just depends on the final evolutions to me.

My take on Pokemon designs is, they come up with at least 100 new designs every 3-4 so years. Of these designs there is a variety of different takes on the designs present in all generation, you have simple ones and you have complex ones, you have ones that are meant to look attractive in some way and others that are more focused on look cool or even weird. Besides Jynx with it's racial issue(Which I'm fairly certain was never intended to be as such), no Pokemon design has been proposed to be inappropriate or offensive(There is some issues such as Registeel with it's hand gesture in one of it's sprites). Overall, there is nothing wrong with any of the Pokemon designs, it's not a matter of what is "good" and what is "bad", it's a matter of what you like and what you dislike, and every Pokemon is liked and disliked.

For me personally, I have no issue with any of the designs, they are all great in their own way. I'm not interested in some handfuls of Pokemon, but on the other side I have plenty of handfuls that I am interested in, and handfuls of Pokemon that are favorites. Even the one Pokemon I kind of don't like(Audino. It's not really a matter of not liking it though, just looked creepy to me when I first saw it and just joked around with it to myself since then), I still think it's fine in it's own way. So far with the 6th generation, I already see the ones introduced already as favorites of mine.

Basically, I like all designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfyre View Post
    Holy crap, I just remembered these forums...haven't been on in ages...

Anyhow, the grass type looks like oshawott, who never looked good in my opinion. The fire type is my favorite, and the water type is unique.

Honestly, it just depends on the final evolutions to me.
    Chespin and Oshawott share a similar shaped head, that's all, they aren't even close to looking like each other once you actually look at them.
    Last edited by gliscor&yanmega; 7th February 2013 at 3:32 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Pokemon does not get worse every generation. The only new things they've really added to the games are new Pokemon, new battle features (a new 3D look), and an actual complex storyline. Doesn't sound very bad to me. In my opinion, I think the new Pokemon look great. They look true to their types and are very creative in terms of design. Same goes for Gen 5.
    There are no bad Pokemon. Trubbish and Garbodor are not bad Pokemon. It's okay to not like them (I'm not too fond of them myself), but that doesn't make them a bad Pokemon. They were very creative when making them. It takes some skill to make a little sack of trash look like a living thing.
    Last edited by OrcaCity; 7th February 2013 at 5:55 PM.
    Mortals will face the wrath of my RAYQUAZAR BEAM
    Proud to be a GreySkyShipper

Every generation has its good and bad Pokemon. Broadly speaking, I wasn't all that impressed with a large amount of Gen 4 Pokemon, but I thought in the main Gen 5 was excellent. Design is largely subjective though, so its very difficult, if not impossible, to categorically say whether the designs are getting better or worse.
    ALPHA SAHPHIRE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast