Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your opinion on Pokemon Designs?

Well, Gen 5 is certainly a step up from Gen 4, but I'm still not entirely sold. The only cool legendaries are Zekrom and Kyurem, the trios are really uninteresting, and once again there are just too many legendaries. None of the starters looks interesting or cool, and some of them look like they're supposed to be evolutions of previous Pokémon but aren't, like Bouffalant and Tauros, Alomomola and Luvdisc, and Sigilyph looking like some ulti-Unown. Then we have Gothitelle, which is based off of a human culture, and I really don't like Pokémon that are based on human cultures (this isn't the first time though, happened with Mr. Mime and Jynx too). Many of the Pokémon have what I call the "Snout-syndrome", where they all have the same snout, or atleast their head ends as a snout, goes for Snivy, Zoroark, Reshiram, Cobalion, and way more in this generation, and it always looks kind of stupid. Of course there are also the occassionally ugly ones like Garbodor, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan and such.

Now that was the nasty stuff, Gen 5 also has a lot of cool Pokémon too, Carracosta, Zekrom, Hydreigon and Gigalith are all among my favorite Pokémon ever made. Then there are Pokémon like Volcarona which has awesome origins to it's design, speaking of which, there are also a lot of awesome typings in this generation. We also have our occassional cool Pokémon like Chandelure, Galvantula, Scolipede and Golurk.

Design-wise where would I rank this generation? Over Gen IV and under Gen II, so that'll be: Gen IV<Gen V<Gen II<Gen III=Gen I. At least for me. Sadly for me it does have more downs than ups, sure it has awesome and fun typing to some of the Pokémon, but the majority just look very bad to me, random designs like Cryogonal just look odd, and as I mentioned earlier, the snout-syndrome is there too often, and looking at the legendaries for X and Y it shows no sign of dissappearing again (although it isn't so bad on Yveltal as on the X one). This is of course a subject that is 100% up to each individual's opinion, so nothing I say here is a fact, just my personal experience.

Worth pointing out is that the gameplay is heaps better than ever.

Also, just a minor pet peeve of mine, but the names are pretty odd for many of these Pokémon, and I still have a hard time remembering them, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Masterofknees; 7th February 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Pokemon designs only get better in every generation. Sure there may be some odd ones but there is always some cool Pokemon in each Generation. When people bash the new designs, they always seem to forget there is other Pokemon.
    Ex-Pokemon fan: ''Oh Garbodor, Vanilluxe, and Stunfisk look ugly therefore all the new Pokemon designs look hideous.''
    Me: '' Like the Kanto didn't have bad designs. And you can't say the same for all Unova Pokemon. Especially Braviary, Haxorus , and Hydreigon.''
    It is true that Ken's art style has changed.
    Generations 1-2: Simple, lovable designs.
    Generation 3-6: More complex designs and original ideas. (Not everyone's made a creature based of an Ice Cream cone before, have they?)

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
    - Robert Pirsig
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    I post here occasionally despite the fact I no longer play Pokemon.

I am fine with all pokemon designs.There are some I like more than another. I do like complex design more than simple ones.
    Shinies-
    Post game status- Filling dex up, Shiny hunting

Safari type- Normal Safari with Audino, Teddiursa and Chansey
    FC-4012-3885-7486

I don't like how much people bash the Trubbish line when it actually makes a lot of sense. New York is full of litter due to the large population, and don't even get me started on the damn subway stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I don't like how much people bash the Trubbish line when it actually makes a lot of sense. New York is full of litter due to the large population, and don't even get me started on the damn subway stations.
    New York is dirty ? I thought it was quite clean. Never been to US so don't know.
    Anyway, Koffing,Grimer and Trubbish each represent a different type of polltion ( sky,water and land ). I think that's quite clever on GF's part, and I don't get why people bash this.

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    New York is dirty ? I thought it was quite clean. Never been to US so don't know.
    Anyway, Koffing,Grimer and Trubbish each represent a different type of polltion ( sky,water and land ). I think that's quite clever on GF's part, and I don't get why people bash this.
    Well it's not extremely dirty but some areas have some litter problems.

In my opinion the designs will only get less and less original since they've already made so many...
    I am Crimson

PO Usernames:
    - Crim
    Crimson101

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson101 View Post
    In my opinion the designs will only get less and less original since they've already made so many...
    Naw, never doubt what the mind can create.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson101 View Post
    649 isn't that many when compared to the many different species of Animals out there, as well as Plants, plus all the other stuff they clearly have no objections on using that they have been using since the start.

The designs will start getting less original when they run out of stuff to use, such a thing isn't going to happen any time soon.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    The designs will start getting less original when they run out of stuff to use, such a thing isn't going to happen any time soon.
    Plus, they can always use the same animal twice, but with a different concept to make them new. I'm still waiting for another tapir Pokémon.

I think they look pretty cool. Not going to lie though, it does take me a little to warm up to new designs sometimes. (I still don't like Emboar though)

3DS FC: 4313-0937-1327
    Friend Safari: Ghost; Lampent, Gourgheist, and IDk yet
    Nintendo Network: Raiin3

Gen 1 and Gen 2 designs I loved mostly. Gen 3 had some cool ones, but also some bleh ones. Gen 4 had more bleh ones, but not horrible. Gen 5 I liked a few, but most were not appealing to me. So far seeing gen 6 I'm in love with them. (No I'm not a genwunner or whatever you call it. I think the games have all gotten better over time, that's just my opinion on the designs.)
    My Y Team:

Most of the designs are ok, what really bothers me is that every time a new generation comes out people say "That doesn't look like a pokemon.". If you're so smart, please define a pokemon, compared to the first gen, some of the pokemon in the later gens look better than them. Compare Voltorb and Electrode to Rotom design wise or Eggecute to Vanillite.
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaikenki View Post
    Most of the designs are ok, what really bothers me is that every time a new generation comes out people say "That doesn't look like a pokemon.". If you're so smart, please define a pokemon, compared to the first gen, some of the pokemon in the later gens look better than them. Compare Voltorb and Electrode to Rotom design wise or Eggecute to Vanillite.
    I can't stand that silly argument either. Looking at Gen. 1 alone, it's obvious Pokemon can be just about anything.

Another argument that I don't think makes sense is saying Pokemon should have stopped after a certain generation, mainly because there's "too many". Yeah, good idea. Let's see how long Pokemon would have lasted if Game Freak decided not to add something new from time to time. And it's also an unfair thing to say considering there are a lot of fans of the newer Pokemon.
    Last edited by SKyLineR32; 8th February 2013 at 9:20 PM.

70/30 thing. Some designs are beyond amazing & other are beyond horrendous!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Objectively speaking, I'd say the best Pokemon design might be something like Nidoking or Nidoqueen. Part of what makes them awesome is that they're not a dog, not a snake, not even a mammal or a reptile but just Nidoking and Nidoqueen, plain and simple, and yet the mammalian and reptilian traits blend so smoothly and naturally that they don't come off as being at all awkward or creepy. The evolutionary transitions are neither ridiculous nor insubstantial, with a larger jump upon undergoing the stone evolution into their final form,the level of complexity in the design is just about right the male/female difference is reasonably believable, the typing of the final forms remains unique and interesting, and the whole thing just feels right.

On the other hand, Generation I had some pretty stupid designs as well (most of the problem stems from the fact that several Pokemon are almost - if not entirely - identical to real-world animals. Granted, this has hardly stopped being the case, but just look at Krabby, for example. That thing's worse than Basculin!), and a lot of my favorites, including Torterra, Flygon, Reuniclus, and the grand-mother-of-all-things-awesome, Golurk, come from more recent games. Honestly, I think Generation 2 is something of an oddball, as it has (in my opinion) the fewest absolutely despicable AND the fewest mind-blowingly amazing designs. There are still a fair few that are pretty cool, though, like Dunsparce, Tyranitar, Scizor, and Steelix, and Meganium wins the non-existent award for cutest fully-evolved starter.
    Last edited by Chewiana Jones; 10th February 2013 at 7:46 AM. Reason: split up text wall, fixed incomplete sentence
    3DS Friend Code: 1864 - 8413 - 3256

In overall, I like Ken Sugimori's pokemon designs, but I don't like some of them like Trubbish, Jynx, Vanillite.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!

FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

I hope you know that this series target a demographic audience. Which means there has to be a pokemon fitting certain appeal and criteria. Whether its their concept, looks, moveset, you name them.

Most of the third and fifth Generation designs appeal to me the most. Kanto and Johto tie with the least amount of appealing pokemon for me (mostly butterfree). With sinnoh being the middleground. I know that I grew with the Main Series ...

But I grew up the most with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewiana Jones View Post
    Objectively speaking, I'd say the best Pokemon design might be something like Nidoking or Nidoqueen. Part of what makes them awesome is that they're not a dog, not a snake, not even a mammal or a reptile but just Nidoking and Nidoqueen, plain and simple, and yet the mammalian and reptilian traits blend so smoothly and naturally that they don't come off as being at all awkward or creepy.
    Yeah, that's why Nidoking is one of my all-time favorites, it's such a classic design.

But yeah, you're right, many Gen I Pokémon lacked creativity, like Seel, just read it's name, they're not even trying to hide it, other than giving it a horn of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12