Thread: Dragons and Fluff(Winter Friendly Team)

Default Dragons and Fluff(Winter Friendly Team)

I'm using this team in the upcoming wi-fi tournament, so Dark Void, Soul Dew, and Sky Drop are all banned. Don't suggest them. Also, no Chatots. Way too OP; using them would go against my code of honor.

Sadly, since this is wi-fi, my options are very limited. Please, try only to suggest moveset changes, but if you must recommend an entirely new pokemon, please make it Genesect, Mewtwo, Keldeo, or something I can breed. Otherwise, they'd be too difficult to get my hands on. Also, I can't really test this team, so everything I say is hypothetically speaking, based on what I've read on smogon and what I've seen playing in rotation battles in the past.

Despite all appearances, I'm only slightly obsessed with dragons. It turned out like this by coincidence. Oh, and now that Whimsicott is gone, I guess this thread's name doesn't make much sense anymore...let's just call Genesect Fluffy to make up for that.

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Speed
    Nature: Jolly
    - TailWind
    - Sunny Day
    - Rain Dance
    - Perish Song

Now, Murkrow may seem like an odd choice, but I have it in my team for two reasons. The first, and the most important reason, is because it is the number one best Chatot counter in the game. Afterall, it's been quoting people and revealing Team Rocket's secret passwords since generation 2! So, obviously, it's legacy of snotty remarks and insults has outlived that of Chatot's by a longshot. The other reason is because of Rain Dance. Sunny day is great Reshiram support and messes up rain teams, but Rain Dance helps me mess up opposing fire types. Granted, my team doesn't look like it should be worrying about opposing Fire Types. However, this discourages White Kyurem's Fusion Flares, which makes my Genesect a much more reliable check. Perish Song will prove Murkrow's superior musical ability compared to Chatot, and will cause an opposing pokemon to faint within three turns of it battling. Since swap outs are so rare in rotation battles, this should help secure a pokemon's defeat. And Murkrow isn't going to last three rounds of fighting regardless, so why not?

It's also hilarious to see Mewtwo fail to damage such a tiny bird with such a power STAB psychic attack.

Genesect @ Light Clay
    Ability: Download
    EVs: 24 HP/252 Sp.att/232 Speed
    Nature: Naive
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Ice Beam
    - Bug Buzz

So, my team lacked a good dragon resist, but I wasn't sure who to replace. Then, upon further thought, I realized how useless 80 base HP wish passes would be to Uber dragons that are running 252 HP. Realizing that wish wasn't a priority, I swapped Latias for little Fluffy here.

Light Screen and Reflect greatly hinder my opponents damage. Ice beam is great with all the Dragons running around, and will also hit Groudon pretty hard, and Bug Buzz is there for STAB. Fluffy is also great support for Giratina, since the ghost lacks recovery to help it safely set up.

Sadly, it's IVs and Nature are not ideal. However, they should still be able to get the job done. The EVs allow it to outspeed positive nature base 95 speed pokemon with it's speed IVs, even without tailwind. It's nature may lower special defense, but behind a light screen, it can still take a White Kyurem's Modest Choice Specs Draco Meteor and live to tell the tale, just as long as it moves first and gets Light Screen up.

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Draco Meteor vs 24HP/0SpDef Genesect (-SpDef) behind a Light Screen: 49% - 57% (135 - 159 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 23% chance to 2HKO.

Reshiram @ White Herb
    Ability: Turboblaze
    EVs: 252 Sp.att/252 Speed
    Nature: Timid
    - Blue Flame
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Tailwind(I really like this move)
    - Draco Meteor

Impatient and tired of soft resetting, I decided to use a pokemon I had already soft resetted for in the past; Reshiram. Originally, it was going to be a flame charge user, but I think Tailwind will be more fitting for this team. Blue Flame becomes insanely powerful after Murkrow's sunny day, though it is resisted by the common dragons of Uber. Dragon Pulse serves as coverage, hitting the the dragons that do resist the attack. Solar beam is added to teach those Kyogres a lesson. The timid nature is less ideal, considering the team's dependence on Tailwind, but it can actually serve as a good back up for if I can't get a Tailwind up, since most Ubers in Reshiram's speed tier don't even bother running speed boosting natures(at least, according to smogon). Yeah, White Herb + Draco Meteor may look like a gimmick, but I can't swap out after the special attack drop, so it's the best I can do. Besides, the white dragon, the white herb...it's fitting, right?

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
    Ability: Terravolt
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack
    Nature: Naughty
    - Dragon Claw
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Roost

For ages, the armored Scizor and Ferrothorn had laughed at the fusion of the black and grey dragons. Their armor was just enough to withstand the a mighty blow of the dragon's rage, even with a choice band, and stopped the creature with Bullet Punch, Gyro Ball, or Thunder Wave. However, with the help of the fire-breathing white dragon, Reshiram, these pokemon no longer pose a threat, and the monster can now rampage as it pleases, demolishing anything in it's path.

In rotation battles, you have three opponents at once, all of which don't need a turn to swap in, so using Outrage as your primary STAB can be risky. Therefore, I intend to use Dragon Claw in most situations. With a life orb and that attack stat, it should do massive damage to anything that comes in on it anyway. Outrage, however, will still be extremely useful if there is no checks for Kyurem that can rotate in, giving me a clean sweep if tailwind is up. Fusion Bolt makes this dragon an ideal partner for Reshiram, throwing Ho-oh and Kyogre aside as if they were nothing. Roost helps compliment it's high HP, and also helps heal of life orb recoil.

Dialga @ Dragon Gem
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Att
    Nature: Modest
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Aura Sphere
    - Trick Room

So, what happens if I face an opposing tailwind team? Do I hope to outspeed it? What about trick room? Or Extreme Speed Arceus, Rayquaza, or Deoxys-A? What if Raquaza gets a couple dragon dances and can outspeed my entire team, even with Tailwind? Look no farther, as Dialga can solve all these problems at once! A single trick room is enough to stop anything that may outspeed the team, and it's steel typing grants it a resistance to Extreme Speed, which it can cover in place of Giratina if it ever needs to. Also, trick room can also be used to cancel the effect, so I can use it to put an end to an enemy's trick room early. Besides all that, Dragon Pulse, Fire Blast, and Aura Sphere all provide perfect coverage, which works well with Dialga's base 150 special attack. Aura Sphere also makes a good backup for Fire Blast if it happens to be raining.

Giratina-Origin @ Take a random guess. I only wrote that because I can't spell the item's name.
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.att
    Nature: Modest
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute/Dragon Pulse
    - Dragon Pulse/Shadow Ball
    - Aura Sphere

What's an offensive rotation battle team without a setup sweeper? I mean, honestly, you expect someone to go into a battle where you don't have to swap out when a check appears, and you expect me not to take advantage of that? Naturally, with all the dragons running around, and this guy's lack of ability to cause a swap out in rotation battles, it would usually be rather difficult for Giratina to set up. However, with the help of Genesect's dual screens, setting up becomes much safer. Substitute help block Draco Meteors to minimize damage and such, and will block status. Both Dragon Pulse and Shadow Ball are reliable STABs that have amazing coverage with Aura Sphere, but I'm undecided on which one to use. I'm leaning towards shadow ball, though, since my team already has a ton of dragon attacks, but Dragon Pulse would take less prediction, as less pokemon resist it. Though, I could potentially drop Substitute and run both
    Last edited by Zachmac; 10th February 2013 at 5:57 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 50 Points
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

Although I think the theme you are hitting is pretty cool, and I really love all the Pokemon on it, I am very iffy on using 5 dragons + Whimsicott. I expect almost every team to carry at least 1 dragon type due to the sheer nature of every ubers out there, so I suggest running a Steel type somewhere that can take a Dragon hit. I'd really hate to be the dragon to take Kyurem-W's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, which none of your Pokemon can take. I really feel that something over Whimsicott could be a good idea.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

i would drop trick room on dialgia, and go for a tailwind team, if you do that give dialga speces or a LO, and aura sphere over trick room, or draco meteor

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    i would drop trick room on dialgia, and go for a tailwind team, if you do that give dialga speces or a LO, and aura sphere over trick room, or draco meteor
    It is a tailwind team. Trick Room is because trick room is actually a fully viable strategy in rotations, and I need someway around it.

No draco meteor or choice specs. I want to keep swapping out to a minimum. And, if it's 4vs4 like everyone thinks it is, if one pokemon faints I can't swap out anymore.

Also, item clause is active, and I want Kyurem to be the one with the life orb. Dragon Gem, maybe? That should allow it to one-shot Kyurem-W. But that is a threat that I need a reliable plan for....Giratina should be able to sub and laugh at it while it loses half it's special attack over a substitute. I guess I'll go for that move. I'm also starting to lean towards Latias running Light Screen.
    Although I think the theme you are hitting is pretty cool, and I really love all the Pokemon on it, I am very iffy on using 5 dragons + Whimsicott. I expect almost every team to carry at least 1 dragon type due to the sheer nature of every ubers out there, so I suggest running a Steel type somewhere that can take a Dragon hit. I'd really hate to be the dragon to take Kyurem-W's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, which none of your Pokemon can take. I really feel that something over Whimsicott could be a good idea.
    Whimsicott is the pokemon who can set up tailwind most reliably. With all those powerful attacks ubers carry, I can't really depend on setting up tailwind without a focus sash or prankster.

And I really don't want to lose my only sunny day user. My team isn't rain weak, but Kyogre is a dominating force in Ubers, sunny day can be crippling to rain team.

Edit: Ugh, turns out my Kyurem was actually naughty. Stupid me...I'm not going mixed at all on this one. Oh well, I'll have to live.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 8th February 2013 at 4:05 AM.
    Check out Mega Sableye's shield. It's a giant rupee! It's true, money does solve all your problems!

Normally, I would criticize you for having four dragon weaknesses and no dragon resists (I have a similar problem) but it seems that if you manage to get the tailwind or trick room up, that should not be a problem. However, im usually a person who would personally go for contingency plans, but otherwise, this is a decent (not great, though,) team. One thing you REALLY need to watch out for is white kyurem, who will stop at nothing to sweep your whole team raw(you have no dragon or ice resists)
    [CENTER]My Autumn Friendly 2012 and Winter Battle 2012 Team

My International Challenge (January 2013) Team

My Winter Friendly (2013) Team

Hm...I know this is a crazy idea, but what about Dual Screens Genesect over Latias?

I'm thinking something along the lines of this.
    Genesect @ Light Clay
    Timid Nature
    252 (sp.)att/252spe
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Ice Beam
    -Bug Buzz

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Draco Meteor vs 4HP/0SpDef Genesect (Neutral) behind a Light Screen: 42% - 50% (120 - 142 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Still, crushed by Fusion Flare, but Earth Power still does low damage.

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Earth Power vs 4HP/0SpDef Genesect (Neutral) behind a Light Screen: 36% - 42% (103 - 122 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

Not a bad idea, considering now you can deal with most dragons bar Reshiram and White Kyurem. Using rotation tactics, you can bait Kyurem into Fusion Flaring your Genesect, and when that happens, rotate into Giratina in case it uses Fusion Flare, Earth Power, or Focus Blast and attack accordingly.
    [CENTER]My Autumn Friendly 2012 and Winter Battle 2012 Team

My International Challenge (January 2013) Team

My Winter Friendly (2013) Team

Quote Originally Posted by ReshiramBlue View Post
    Not a bad idea, considering now you can deal with most dragons bar Reshiram and White Kyurem. Using rotation tactics, you can bait Kyurem into Fusion Flaring your Genesect, and when that happens, rotate into Giratina in case it uses Fusion Flare, Earth Power, or Focus Blast and attack accordingly.
    I thought on it a bit, and I just realized that in most cases, I'll be starting with Whimsicott/Genesect/Giratina. My enemy may be more tempted to use Fusion Flare. I could discourage this by giving something rain dance, but Whimsicott can't learn it, and the Kami duo can't learn sunny day.

...But Murkrow can. Crazy idea #2.

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
    252 HP/252 Speed
    Prankster
    A speed boosting one of some sort.
    -Tailwind
    -Rain Dance
    -Sunny Day
    -Thunderwave/Perish Song

Yeah, this guy won't last a second. But, honestly, neither or nor Whimsicott were meant to last anyway. Sunny day will help buff Reshiram, and Rain Dance will mess over Ho-oh, Reshiram, and most importantly, Kyurem-W's Fusion Flare. Behind light screen during rain...

252SpAtk Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem White (+SAtk) Fusion Flare in Rain vs 4HP/0SpDef Genesect (Neutral) behind a Light Screen: 81% - 97% (232 - 276 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

And Genesect is faster. Well, I guess I'll be searching for DW Murkrows. Weather it gets Perish Song or Thunderwave will depend on the gender of the one I get from the dream world.

And it's a match for Chatot! How did I not realize this? If I can't beat a bird, fight it with a bird!
    Last edited by Zachmac; 9th February 2013 at 3:38 AM.

Might I suggest maybe one of the Prankster Kamis as your Prankster user? Especially if you go with a bulky Thundurus set that has seen a lot of use in Doubles. That way, you're still offensive while still able to utilize Prankster? You do lose Tailwind though. Maybe Tornadus?

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Quote Originally Posted by jstinftw! View Post
    Might I suggest maybe one of the Prankster Kamis as your Prankster user? Especially if you go with a bulky Thundurus set that has seen a lot of use in Doubles. That way, you're still offensive while still able to utilize Prankster? You do lose Tailwind though. Maybe Tornadus?
    No, I want to keep sunny day support for my Reshiram.

Besides that, it'll be a pain to get one of those guys with good IVs and nature.

But it is a OHKO with SR and Spikes, if you can fit one Spikes user in to your team.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    But it is a OHKO with SR and Spikes, if you can fit one Spikes user in to your team.
    No need in Rotations. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    No, I want to keep sunny day support for my Reshiram.

Besides that, it'll be a pain to get one of those guys with good IVs and nature.
    Whoops. I thought Tornadus, at least, could use Sunny Day. xP My bad!

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

I'd just like to point out that Liepard is a good candidate in Murkrow's place. It can still run Sunny Day (and Rain Dance, I believe). Plus, gets access to Encore and Thunder Wave. Getting a Mewtwo stuck on Psystrike against a Liepard can really be a nice place to be in. Or maybe use Encore on another move to help you out with predictions. But, I'm still very iffy on how the Encore mechanics are in rotation battles...

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Murkrow = win.

If you still need a Prankster Murkrow, I do have a few spares from last year already bred with Perish Song. The only downside is they have a Careful nature instead of Jolly.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    Murkrow = win.

If you still need a Prankster Murkrow, I do have a few spares from last year already bred with Perish Song. The only downside is they have a Careful nature instead of Jolly.
    Thanks for the offer, but I just got a female one directly from the dream world last night.
    I'd just like to point out that Liepard is a good candidate in Murkrow's place. It can still run Sunny Day (and Rain Dance, I believe). Plus, gets access to Encore and Thunder Wave. Getting a Mewtwo stuck on Psystrike against a Liepard can really be a nice place to be in. Or maybe use Encore on another move to help you out with predictions. But, I'm still very iffy on how the Encore mechanics are in rotation battles...
    That would be nice, but this team is focused on outspeeding opponents with tail wind, since the only pokemon I have with perfect speed IVs are Reshiram and soon, Murkrow.