Thread: Lunar new year

Default Lunar new year

I'm not sure if I could start this thread, but I saw a thread on 2013 Gregorian calendar's new year, so I thought why the heck not made one for lunar new year ? After all it is a major celebration in lots of countries, lunar new year or Chinese new year or whatever you call it. It is not like the Chinese are the only one celebrating it anyway.

It is the last day of the year as of today (or at least, in my time). If you do celebrate lunar new year, What preparation have you and your family make ? What tradition do you have in your country to celebrate it ?

As for me, I'm with my family in our hometown in Kaohsiung Taiwan. We have everything prepared, all the food and kumquat tree and little fire crackers. We bought like tons of fire crackers so this year is going to end with quite a loud bang for us ! The previous year hasn't been quite good for me, but I heard people predicting next year is going to be better since the snake is symbol of rebirth, so I hope they are correct about that

★ goldensteambun

looking for TRU or Movie11 Shaymin on Gen 5 game, please PM me for offer

I'll having alot of family gathering. Of course there will be parade/fair in the chinese community. Friend told me I celebrate it because of the money -.-

Normally, my family will get Chinese food. It's good stuff to, so I always look forward to a day that I can eat it.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

It's going to be a few quiet days at home for me, since we're discouraged from going visiting this year by tradition, as we had lost a family member around this time last year and we're supposed to still be in mourning, if I'm correct. No fire crackers since they're banned where I live, and no fancy red deco this year either. The new year goodies are still present though, thankfully.

ah , what an unsightly existence ! / illustration : cyawa

I always celebrate by eating with my family.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Well I wake up and go get my red envelopes (yay, $$$ ) and then sit and do nothing the entire time while my mom cooks for pretty much the entire day. As of now, I still haven't gotten my envelopes, and mom has the flu. So.... :P

I also get some of that coconut thing that comes in 3/4 colors...the thing that's cut into strips...and I go nom on it.

Also I was born in the year of the snake and it's the year of the snake so I guess you could say that it's special for me, though I don't feel so. :P

I personally don't celebrate the Lunar New Year. But, I am a little curious as of what the customs entail. So what exactly is the "norm" for this holiday? What exactly do you do? I'm extremely curious and not trolling.

I don't really do anything to celebrate but I am aware because I was born in the year of the snake (irony is that I hate snakes =/) so I soppose it makes this year somewhat special
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

As usual, I got money, which is pretty much the only reason I celebrate the Chinese New Year anymore. I wish I still lived in S. Korea, since all my relatives on my mother's side live there, and we always used to have huge family gatherings and presents.

Nothing for me.

It is just a normal holiday for me personally, where I still do the same thing I do every single day, disregarding is it holiday, normal working day, or Judgement day (please don't get angry about my joke).
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Quote Originally Posted by goldensteambun View Post
    I'm not sure if I could start this thread, but I saw a thread on 2013 Gregorian calendar's new year,
    Just so you know, I was the one who started that thread. XD

On my case, I went to Chinatown yesterday to celebrate this. While I'm not Chinese or part-Chinese, it's pretty interesting and quite fun really to be part of it and celebrate it with and do some of their customs. I have to admit, I really like their traditions. haha. I hope I can do this again next year. Happy Lunar New Year!
    Last edited by nathandg0924; 10th February 2013 at 2:26 PM.

I don't do anything to celebrate it IRL, but for the rest of the month I've turned off my rotating banner and updated it for a 2013 Lunar New Year banner.

EDIT: I've also noticed there is nothing on the forum Calendar for it, so I'll update it. If someone wants to send me a little bit of info for it, I'll put that in there too. Rather than just copying from Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowth City View Post
    It's a pretty big deal in my household, as there is A LOT of preparation that goes into it. For a start, there is the house cleaning to do, buying the food for the feast, throwing out the old stuff and replacing it, etc. My parents are very traditional Chinese, so we are not allowed to consume any meat on the first day of the new year (although, this might be more of a Buddhist custom). Then, there's the red envelopes. I got one from each of my parents. If I was in Hong Kong, where the rest of my family are, there would certainly be more, but it's still great even with just my immediate family.

I like going to the parades in Chinatown, especially for the year mascot figures that are sold there. I remember getting the dog and rooster ones - both of which were made out of real feathers, which my cats made very quick work out of. I guess this year is quite special for me because I was born in the Year of the Snake.
    lol i remember that, no meat on Lunar New Year. If it hits 12 noon its ok to eat meat.

We have a family gathering :P and we also count down to midnght and such, then we have whatever food we're supposed to have XD but yeah, no meat until noon >.>

Oh and this year is the year of the snake (my birth year) so things are special for me. Got more money than usual in my red envelopes...it's almost my 12th year of life ^_^