Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemania memories.

Default Pokemania memories.

What do you remember of the Pokemon craze of the late 90s-early 00s?

Early 00s? Barely anything, just vague memories about Pokemon guide books from 2002-2003. I was born in 1993, so I thought I'd know more at the time about it since I've been playing video games since at least 1998
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    Most recent shiny: (X Friend Safari)

What I remember????

Not much actually!!!! I remember the anime, I used to watch it every Saturday and Sunday!!! And for games the pokecards and some tiny balls that were pokeballs and inside they had pokemon!!!! Mine was Evee, I love that pokemon!!!! After that I got old and stop watching pokemon till a year ago and I leave the dream again!!!!

I don't remember much, either, except the guidebooks. (I think I still have a couple of those, actually.) And, of course, collecting Pokemon cards, despite the fact that none of us actually knew how to play with them. I generally bought them because I liked the pictures, to be honest.

I also have a vague memory of plastic spoons featuring the Johto Starters (and possibly Pikachu) that my mother once ordered off the back of a cereal box for us. Whenever you put the spoon in your mouth it would give off the cry of whichever starter was featured on the handle. (Needless to say my mother probably regretted ordering them within a week; it was probably one of the happiest days in her life when the sound chips finally wore out.)

MegaButterfree is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

I definitely have fond memories of all the Pokémon-themed food from around that time! The mac & cheese, Pop Tarts, canned pasta, & even the gum.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    What do you remember of the Pokemon craze of the late 90s-early 00s?
    The fake cheats, the rumours, the speculation.

This was a time cracking a rom wasn't something any Joe Schmoe could do which meant a lot of players had to rely on online sources like Supercheats and stuff like this lead to a lot of hilarious cheats between RBY - GSC.

Some favourites of mine include
    The infamous finding Mew behind the SS Anne (even the Prima guide for the game mentioned this one saying it was completely untrue).

Professor Oak dying.

Making out with Misty.

Surfing on Lava.

Usually most of these codes would have you do really repetitive stunts in order to make things happen which were of course BS. However with the existence of the likes of Missingno it was never something you discounted the possibility of.

However it's this kind of our lack of knowledge about the world of Pokemon that also gave birth to the CreepyPasta genre. Ironically this feeling also returned during the first few weeks of XY's release because once again the games weren't cracked right away and fans really went into overdrive speculating about small details like the Lumiose City Ghost Girl and The Kalos Power Plant.
    Shiny's Obtained

Pokemon Silver
    Pokemon Leaf Green:
    Pokemon Platinum
    Pokemon Heartgold

Escaped Shiny's
    Pokemon Black
    Pokemon Y

Watching the anime on SM:TV Live with Ant and Dec and Cat Deeley doing their little skit before hand. Pokemon cards being banned from my primary school because the older kids scammed the younger ones out of rare cards. Pokemon being every where you turned, sweets, magazines, stationary, that breakfast cereal where the marshmallow Pokemon all looked like Ditto even though only the pink ones were supposed to. Plushies galore. Uggh I loved it.

And my this pretty specific to me but I do remember an awkward confrontation in the playground because my brother borrowed Silver from his friend and I started a new game because I wanted to use Cyndaquil.

I mostly remember the Gameboy SP (i think it was what it was called) and only finally being able to get one when I was 12 instead of a Gameboy color to play Pokemon on. I felt so relieved and addicted.

I remember purchasing hundreds of cards when the franchise began and then losing them at school.

I have many memories from when the Pokemon craze first began, like going to Burger King everyday when they were giving out toys to promote the first film hee hee. I also had a huge card collection back in 2000 and many of my best cards were ones that I had stolen. I'm not proud of it, but Pokemon was like crack back then. ^^;

Kutie Pie is offline 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

From what I remember as a seven/eight-year-old, the anime was all the rage, of course. Some kids played their games on the playground, others brought cards before it got banned. Rumors were made well into the second generation, and some of us role-played as the characters and pretended the school yard was the Pokémon region. Pokémon books at the book fair usually sold out, which was where I had gotten that one deluxe edition handbook that teased Gold and Silver in the back--if I had known it was going to be a rare book, I'd have taken better care of it LOL. I remember the theater being packed for the first two movies (believe it was opening week both times, so yeah) and the toys sold well at Burger King--that was like the only time we regularly went to Burger King (and we got the Poliwhirl 13K gold card), and yes, I got excited over collecting Pokémon cards and then being happy to get a Charizard card (lol). When I got Yellow version for my birthday and well into Silver, I regularly got help from the neighbors, and even traded with them on occasion.

I think my happiest memory of the Pokémon craze was Christmas of '99 when Dad got the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack on cassette. It was apparently Mom's present, but they knew it was inevitable that we'd get our hands on it and listen to it so much that it would get a little warbled by the end of Side A. But I listened to it the most on my Walkman and memorized the entire soundtrack. It was neat. My favorite part of it was listening to the soundtrack as the battery was dying because it changed the voices, and I remember hearing about the Pokémon Live stage play was going on (with the various songs sung by the characters), so I would pretend that's what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaButterfree View Post
    I definitely have fond memories of all the Pokémon-themed food from around that time! The mac & cheese, Pop Tarts, canned pasta, & even the gum.
    I remember the gum :O, came in those round containers and had the wrappers with a Pokémon on them. Sadly, I don't remember the gum being anything special lol. Now the Pez dispensers were cute, in which a small Pokémon would hand you Poké Ball-shaped Pez. Mom's disappointed we ate the candy as kids, she's pretty certain those could sell for a pretty penny with the candy.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2016 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Pokémon books at the book fair usually sold out, which was where I had gotten that one deluxe edition handbook that teased Gold and Silver in the back--if I had known it was going to be a rare book, I'd have taken better care of it LOL.
    I had that book when I was eight or nine. I purchased it at a book fair and I remember being confused about certain things in it like the E4 section cuz it listed their R/B/Y teams, yet at the time I wasn't familiar with the games. ^^;

Watching the anime.
    What do we want? Sinnoh remakes.
    When do we want them? Soon.

Pokemon being every where you turned

I was 15 when Red & Blue came out. Young enough to like it, old enough to sympathize with adults who couldn't understand it.

For a while I was on the outside of the fandom looking in. I couldn't watch the show because the local WB station would only come in at night (rarely). My younger brother got a Game Boy Pocket and Blue for his birthday. Our older sister bought herself a GBP and Red. I was stuck borrowing theirs whenever they were fine with resetting the save file. Eventually I got a Game Boy Color and Yellow, which began my love of third versions.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I remember getting triggered by the Mad Magazine cover showing "How should we kill these Pokemon?"

It showed various ways to kill Pikachu. I found it sort of disturbing as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

In my local Burger King they had installed a kiosk where you could play Pokemon Stadium. I convinced my mum to let me play and I was battling against this kid who was a few years younger than me. I had never played a Pokemon game before. I used a Raichu and kept spamming Thunder Wave and didn't realise it wasn't doing any damage. The battle showed no signs of stopping so my mum cut it short and I had to leave. My dad got me a copy of Pokemon Blue and a second-hand original Game Boy shortly after. This was the year 2000.
    Currently Playing

Yellow VC

Pokémon CDs being officially translated to Brazilian Portuguese.
    Pokémon was everywhere, it was even wall fanart material!
    Many sticker albums, Pokémon Master Trainer (a board game).
    Even nowadyas Pokémon is still very popular in Brazil, and have a very dedicated fanbase, but from 1999 to 2004 or 2005 was when the Pokémania really existed. It came back with Pokémon Go, but lasted for like 1 month...
    Still need to buy/play Pokémon Moon (or Sun)....

I remember it being everywhere, and all the kids were into it! I remember my mom getting into the games, and gave me a copy to play. I didn't know what I was doing so the game that really makes me nostalgic is Silver when I actually knew what I was doing, haha. Pokemon became a special interest of mine and still is (sadly this became awkward in middle school and gen 3 as kids suddenly went "pokemon is for babies" and started picking on me for still liking it.)

I remember those little bouncy balls with the figures in them, the Christmas music CD I would listen to all year round on a walkman, and having to use the VHS to watch the first two movies over and over again when it got too hot to play outside during the summer. Oh and the toy pokeballs with the pokemon in them! I still have a Pikachu toy from back then and he's the only pikachu toy I have that has the OG chubby pikachu design.

OT: Vlinny (M), Voltaire (S), FC: 2552-3278-3638

I'm born in 1992 and I remember I loved them. I played to Pokemon gold/silver with my friends (at school we were divided in two teams... I remember my Snorlax was unbeatable. Thinking at it now, it was terrible, but not as terrible as my friend's pokemon). I had a lot of pokemon cards too, but I never understood how to play, so we only collected them. Pokemon was a kind of drug for a couple of years...

I was born in 1996 I remember watching the anime and loving but was too young to play it but the time I was in kindgardon in 2001. Yugioh was the major craze

Quote Originally Posted by windwakemeup View Post
    I remember those little bouncy balls with the figures in them
    O me too in fact I had several of those balls including one with a Pikachu figure inside, but when I heard that a kid suffocated due to one, I stopped using mine. Back then several accidents happened involving kids dying cuz of Pokemon toys or getting beaten up and robbed for their cards. :[

Pokemon cards were everywhere, but no one actually knew how to play.

The anime was very popular up until about the start of the Orange Islands then everyone I knew began to stop watching. Those who held on into Johto (including me) all gave up when Ash left his Charizard in the Charicific Valley because we were all thoroughly p***ed off with that kind of thing by that point, having already suffered through Butterfree, Pidgeot and Lapras.

Strangely there were only a few people who actually played the gameboy games. Its the cards that I remember being the real driving force of the pokemon craze.

I've many fond memories from the franchise's heyday, such as the day when I first discovered the anime back in 1998. I also remember buying the trading cards a few months later and even importing Gold version from Japan in 2000. Back then I had to use a Japanese dictionary to translate some of the text, but at least I was one of the few players in my town who got to play the Jouto games months before their U.S. release.

I have many many early memories, as I was 18 years old when it hit the states. I'll just share one thing for now... I remember when Red and Blue finally hit the stores,.. my friend, James and I headed to toys r us. he was going to buy Red.. I did not have a gameby at the time... but man did I want one..I was supposed to get Blue. I remember they had these big pokemon banners on the wall,.. James asked if we could have them when they were done with it... the guy we purchased the games from told us they had to send them back to nintendo.. I've always wondered if that were true or not as I knew alot of stores either tossed their promo materials or employees got to claim them.

why not I'll share more.... I remember when we went back to same toys R us and bought some of the pokemon tomy figurine toys, for those that do not know.. they came in two or three packs and pokeball.... my first was the geodude/Golem set, my first three pack was the squirtle line.

I also got to get pokemon cards from my EB games store before they were supposed to go on sale by a few weeks or so.. all they had were the starter decks... nothing else.No booster packs or theme decks yet... they sold me a deck... then james got one as well lol. I rememebr learning how to play the game and we played our starter deck against each other,.. was fun at the time but sometimes got boring since we had the same cards lol. I even made badges out of cardboard for if we won a round we would take a badge lol
    Last edited by halloweenghost; 20th September 2017 at 6:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast