Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Derailed vs Already Bad Characters: Which is worse?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default Derailed vs Already Bad Characters: Which is worse?

    What types of characters do you think are worse?

    Those who were at least decent, but then got lame in some way, whether it be the exaggeration of one trait, or just fading into the background?

    Or characters who were never good to begin with?

    (No examples.)

    For me, derailed characters are worse, because with characters that were already bad, I had no prior attachment to them, and they weren't disgraced.

    What do you think?

    To quote Bluelatios*:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Now, c'mon guys lets not bash Brock. In fact, I propose that nobody hints or mentions any specific names so that nobody gets upset and starts a flamewar. You should consider adding that to the first post marioluigi . So non-specifically in general I'd say that characters that are bad from the start are worse. At least derailed characters by definition had a solid foundation to begin with, so that the writers always have the option to return to that foundation if they find themselves stagnating the character. On the other hand, a character that has a bad start already has a greater uphill battle to redeem themselves and gain a positive fanbase. In short, both can improve or worsen, but existing characters usually already have a wealth of things for them to work with.
    ~mlfan05
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 11th February 2013 at 2:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    306

    Default

    I agree that derailed characters are worse. They started off one way, and lost things about them or changed in a bad way.

    Brock was an interesting character in his debut episode, but later became a clown. It got worse when he kept getting attacked by his Croagunk.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,506

    Default

    What exactly is a derailed character anyways? Brock was never derailed as they never really gave him a rail besides the very broad definition of wanting to breed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hogwarts, naturally.
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Talk about derailed characters, Butch and Cassidy say hello.

    They started as kick-butt characters with sinister intentions to being worse than TRio.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.



    ^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

    Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

    Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Derailed characters. It's painful to see characters you love being milked for all its worth.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 10th February 2013 at 4:27 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,590

    Default

    Derailed characters are the worst due to the attachment and potential over the course of the series. You can't always expect characters to start out great at first, they have to be plain and rather decent so they can grow into their character (after all, we're just starting to know them). Characters who are bad to begin with are usually the ones they expect us to not like, or they were thrown together at the last minute and it shows. They tend to be one-shot characters for the most part, but even then they go and make them basically the spotlight of the episode. Thankfully, you rarely see them again after that.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Derailed characters, no question about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Brock was never derailed as they never really gave him a rail besides the very broad definition of wanting to breed.
    Typical fandom misunderstanding of character......that's thinking in terms of what he is, not who he is.

    And as for who he is, Brock was very different in Kanto than he was in Sinnoh.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post

    And as for who he is, Brock was very different in Kanto than he was in Sinnoh.
    Definitely. Not even close.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Definitely. Not even close.
    Yeah he was way more mature and competent when not being stabbed by croagunk.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Yeah he was way more mature and competent when not being stabbed by croagunk.
    Also in the background most of the time.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Yeah he was way more mature and competent when not being stabbed by croagunk.
    Mature and competent? You're joking, right? What "competence" did he show; he barely battled.

    And maturity? His perversion was WAY more overblown and exaggerated than how it was in Kanto.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Mature and competent? You're joking, right? What "competence" did he show; he barely battled. And maturity? His perversion was WAY more overblown and exaggerated than how it was in Kanto.
    Brock was a pansy, yet his dub voice sounded like a trucker in his 40s. His Pokemon team was downright pathetic. Three Pokemon that are all found in the wild in Sinnoh. His character was milked.

    I could go on and on about why I don't like Brock's character in that arc.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 10th February 2013 at 6:55 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Now, c'mon guys lets not bash Brock. In fact, I propose that nobody hints or mentions any specific names so that nobody gets upset and starts a flamewar. You should consider adding that to the first post marioluigi . So non-specifically in general I'd say that characters that are bad from the start are worse. At least derailed characters by definition had a solid foundation to begin with, so that the writers always have the option to return to that foundation if they find themselves stagnating the character. On the other hand, a character that has a bad start already has a greater uphill battle to redeem themselves and gain a positive fanbase. In short, both can improve or worsen, but existing characters usually already have a wealth of things for them to work with.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 11th February 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I think Brock with effort from the writers could of been great in DP. Not everyone needs a goal that is a tournament. Brock should of got more Pokemon in DP and his goal as a breeder should of been focused on more. There was no reason for Brock to have been pushed aside in DP to the point people forgot he was in the series at all. I mean people can say Iris is a bad character and to some degree her writing is bad. However it is better compared to Misty who got less focus in her 250+ eps than Iris has in less then 150. The issue with the writers is they toss in so many people in the series and seem to focus only on the people in actual tournaments.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Now, c'mon guys lets not bash Brock. In fact, I propose that nobody hints or mentions any specific names so that nobody gets upset and starts a flamewar. You should consider adding that to the first post marioluigi . So non-specifically in general I'd say that characters that are bad from the start are worse. At least derailed characters by definition had a solid foundation to begin with, so that the writers always have the option to return to that foundation if they find themselves stagnating the character. On the other hand, a character that has a bad start already has a greater uphill battle to redeem themselves and gain a positive fanbase. In short, both can improve or worsen, but existing characters usually already have a wealth of things for them to work with.
    I feel the writers (and the dubbers) did not do Brock any justice in the DP arc. That's really the nicest way I can put it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post
    There was no reason for Brock to have been pushed aside in DP to the point people forgot he was in the series at all. The issue with the writers is they toss in so many people in the series and seem to focus only on the people in actual tournaments.
    That's how I feel as well.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pokemon world, I wish ._...XD
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I feel the writers (and the dubbers) did not do Brock any justice in the DP arc. That's really the nicest way I can put it.
    Lol brock, he didn't change almost at all until the end of DP. I found DP brock to be the funniest since kanto, but that's just me.

    I really have a hard time arguing about repetitiveness in Pokemon, lets try to treat things more equally okay? .-...

    Aside from that, Derailed characters are worse.

    ...asuming they're atcually you know, De-railed and not just disliked.

    Bad characters are by far worse, its just that, its alot easier to spot a bad character then a...truly derailed one, especially when you're talking about pokemon.

    Emotions/character attachment tend to also make derailed characters worse, which is good, it proves you care about them. But still...remember the bigger picture .-.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    Lol brock, he didn't change almost at all until the end of DP. I found DP brock to be the funniest since kanto, but that's just me.

    I really have a hard time arguing about repetitiveness in Pokemon, lets try to treat things more equally okay? .-...

    Aside from that, Derailed characters are worse.

    ...asuming they're atcually you know, De-railed and not just disliked.

    Bad characters are by far worse, its just that, its alot easier to spot a bad character then a...truly derailed one, especially when you're talking about pokemon.

    Emotions/character attachment tend to also make derailed characters worse, which is good, it proves you care about them. But still...remember the bigger picture .-.
    He was funny, but in the "This is so bad, this is downright hilarious!" sense for me. I think they totally decimated his character. He's supposed to be a mature, wise, mentor-esque figure. A likeable figure. DP just pushed him to the sidelines and made him too much of a joke...
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pokemon world, I wish ._...XD
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    He was funny, but in the "This is so bad, this is downright hilarious!" sense for me. I think they totally decimated his character. He's supposed to be a mature, wise, mentor-esque figure. A likeable figure. DP just pushed him to the sidelines and made him too much of a joke...
    Maybe you have trouble seeing this wacky characters as wise .-...

    when you see a wacky character, their wise moments become ten times as wise. When ever there were pokemon problems around, he'd get serious. hell, as long as there were no pretty girls around...he was always serious.
    The maid cafe episode I think represents his character best out of everything recent. Wacky yet wise. When there was nothing for him to wacky or wise about, he got pushed to the sidelines.

    He wasn't bad in my mind, its just that there was really nothing for him to do. which is why he finally went at the end of DP.
    Yet I never saw how he was any worse or any better then much of the other saga's besides kanto and possibly because of the voices.

    But I liked both of his voices, one of the few I stayed liking. (I've only conditioned myself to like ash's. XD)
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    #DP Bash thread in disguise

    Eh, both are pretty bad depending on what degrees. IMO Cilan was pretty derailed, and he has random stuff popping up. Train Connesieur, Movie Connesieur and some other stuff. Already bad characters like Cameron/Kotetsu are pretty bad too, like acting like an idiot and somehow     Spoiler:- open spoiler style:
    ... yeah.

    IMO I don't mind it if it goes slightly derailed, but too much is bad. It also is terrible if an already bad character be lame and stay lame. I love improvements, but on some bad characters I can't see any.

    There are some bad characters that started bad but improved on their way. Dawn and May come into mind, not sure about Misty, but Iris was ok, not the best. Bianca also developed. I mean, she managed to get 8 badges and enter the league, something which many can't do.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    Maybe you have trouble seeing this wacky characters as wise .-...

    when you see a wacky character, their wise moments become ten times as wise. When ever there were pokemon problems around, he'd get serious. hell, as long as there were no pretty girls around...he was always serious.
    The maid cafe episode I think represents his character best out of everything recent. Wacky yet wise. When there was nothing for him to wacky or wise about, he got pushed to the sidelines.

    He wasn't bad in my mind, its just that there was really nothing for him to do. which is why he finally went at the end of DP.
    Yet I never saw how he was any worse or any better then much of the other saga's besides kanto and possibly because of the voices.

    But I liked both of his voices, one of the few I stayed liking. (I've only conditioned myself to like ash's. XD)
    TBH, I hated both Ash and Brock's dub voices during DP. I've only gotten used to Ash's voice since BW. XD.

    Brock's PUSA voice actually started out my favorite of all of them in the BF (tied with Jessie's), and then in DP became my worst...I don't know what the voice director did, but it was tough to get used for me, because Brock's voice got so much deeper. Ash's started out my worst in BF, he only got worse in the first 2 seasons of DP, then improved in the latter two, and now he's tolerable in BW.

    I feel poor Brock was pushed to the sidelines TOO much in the DP arc, I guess. You're right, he wasn't as WACKY before. That may be it. I feel he didn't have enough depth to his character there (I sound like Cilan now...XD). That's my main gripe with DP's characterization of him. It's what's been happening with TRio right now in BW (the whole lack of screen-time issue). I wish the JPN writers would really try to avoid doing that.

    The maid episode was one of the BEST episodes for DP Brock. I really, really liked him there. They should've done more eps like that...

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    #DP Bash thread in disguise

    DP Brock bash thread in disguise.

    It's sad because I do like DP Brock occasionally, but the whole Croagunk jabbing thing (that wasn't funny to me for some reason), the Pokemon they gave him, the spotlight taken from him to an extreme degree...it's a bit depressing. They could've done so much better with his character.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 1:54 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    TBH, I hated both Ash and Brock's dub voices during DP. I've only gotten used to Ash's voice since BW. XD.

    Brock's PUSA voice actually started out my favorite of all of them in the BF (tied with Jessie's), and then in DP became my worst...I don't know what the voice director did, but it was tough to get used for me, because Brock's voice got so much deeper. Ash's started out my worst in BF, he only got worse in the first 2 seasons of DP, then improved in the latter two, and now he's tolerable in BW.

    I feel poor Brock was pushed to the sidelines TOO much in the DP arc, I guess. You're right, he wasn't as WACKY before. That may be it. I feel he didn't have enough depth to his character there (I sound like Cilan now...XD). That's my main gripe with DP's characterization of him. It's what's been happening with TRio right now in BW (the whole lack of screen-time issue). I wish the JPN writers would really try to avoid doing that.

    The maid episode was one of the BEST episodes for DP Brock. I really, really liked him there. They should've done more eps like that...


    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Now, c'mon guys lets not bash Brock. In fact, I propose that nobody hints or mentions any specific names so that nobody gets upset and starts a flamewar. You should consider adding that to the first post marioluigi . So non-specifically in general I'd say that characters that are bad from the start are worse. At least derailed characters by definition had a solid foundation to begin with, so that the writers always have the option to return to that foundation if they find themselves stagnating the character. On the other hand, a character that has a bad start already has a greater uphill battle to redeem themselves and gain a positive fanbase. In short, both can improve or worsen, but existing characters usually already have a wealth of things for them to work with.
    Done.


    DP Brock bash thread in disguise.

    It's sad because I do like DP Brock occasionally, but the whole Croagunk jabbing thing (that wasn't funny to me for some reason), the Pokemon they gave him, the spotlight taken from him to an extreme degree...it's a bit depressing. They could've done so much better with his character.
    DP Trio bash thread in disguise

    I agree 100%. Perhaps if DP had much fewer episodes, he wouldn't have seemed AS bad.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    DP Trio bash thread in disguise

    I agree 100%. Perhaps if DP had much fewer episodes, he wouldn't have seemed AS bad.
    In retrospect, I think that would've helped. Less attention on Dawn and Ash would be a plus, too.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    In retrospect, I think that would've helped. Less attention on Dawn and Ash would be a plus, too.
    On Bulbapedia's DP thread, it was said that DP was more plot driven and less episodes were dedicated to Ash and Dawn when compared to past sagas.

    Eh AG Brock stood out less than DP since Brock had to compete for a tiny little screentime with Mays annoying little brother. Brock's DP team also had great personality, despite being a bit static. Crogaunk, who looks tough outside, but inside is caring. A good example is when he smiled when Pachirisu recovered in the episode where Pachirisu got sick due to electricity buildup. The Crogaunk vs Toxicroak rivalry was also a refreshing touch. Happily was the happy-go-lucky baby Pokemon with incredible strength. Sudowoodo is Brock's second-in-command, and babies Happiny too.

    Overall I think Brock's DP team had more screentime than Brock.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    On Bulbapedia's DP thread, it was said that DP was more plot driven and less episodes were dedicated to Ash and Dawn when compared to past sagas.

    Eh AG Brock stood out less than DP since Brock had to compete for a tiny little screentime with Mays annoying little brother. Brock's DP team also had great personality, despite being a bit static. Crogaunk, who looks tough outside, but inside is caring. A good example is when he smiled when Pachirisu recovered in the episode where Pachirisu got sick due to electricity buildup. The Crogaunk vs Toxicroak rivalry was also a refreshing touch. Happily was the happy-go-lucky baby Pokemon with incredible strength. Sudowoodo is Brock's second-in-command, and babies Happiny too.

    Overall I think Brock's DP team had more screentime than Brock.
    It's all subjective. I thought AG Brock had a fairly strong Pokemon team in comparison to DP Brock, and he was still pretty well-balanced. The compare between him and Max, though, that was a bit jarring.

    DP was plot driven, but character chemistry was severely lacking during the arc to me. His Pokemon team DID have personality, but the team itself was pretty...weak, to say the least.

    Bulbapedia has a lot of opinions I disagree with. XD.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    It's all subjective. I thought AG Brock had a fairly strong Pokemon team in comparison to DP Brock, and he was still pretty well-balanced. The compare between him and Max, though, that was a bit jarring.

    DP was plot driven, but character chemistry was severely lacking during the arc to me. His Pokemon team DID have personality, but the team itself was pretty...weak, to say the least.

    Bulbapedia has a lot of opinions I disagree with. XD.
    Haha, feel free to disagree.

    Though Max and Brock kind of did have to compete for screentime. They're both supporting characters in the cast. I'm not comparing those two, but in an *insert number* of episodes, those two will have to compete for their centric episodes. In this case Ash/May took up many. The problem is that the writers don't know how to juggle episode distribution well. It all comes down to who gets the better end of the stick between the two who got the bad end of the deal, which would be Max.

    I'm gonna disagree about his team being weak though. Call this DEM, but Crogaunk OHKO Toxicroak who ran through Gary's team. Happiny also stopped a Magnezone or Metagross dead in its tracks, and could've thrown it if Brock wasn't so distracted with flirting with Officer Jenny.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •