Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derailed vs Already Bad Characters: Which is worse?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Haha, feel free to disagree.

Though Max and Brock kind of did have to compete for screentime. They're both supporting characters in the cast. I'm not comparing those two, but in an *insert number* of episodes, those two will have to compete for their centric episodes. In this case Ash/May took up many. The problem is that the writers don't know how to juggle episode distribution well. It all comes down to who gets the better end of the stick between the two who got the bad end of the deal, which would be Max.

I'm gonna disagree about his team being weak though. Call this DEM, but Crogaunk OHKO Toxicroak who ran through Gary's team. Happiny also stopped a Magnezone or Metagross dead in its tracks, and could've thrown it if Brock wasn't so distracted with flirting with Officer Jenny.
    Honestly, I think the English dub really ruined my impression of the DP arc for some reason. XD.

I wish I could find eps subbed of the arc. I've found multiple BW subs, but I can't find anything pre-BW subbed anymore. XD.

Anyway, I'll admit, you're right about Brock's DP team. I think I was just stereotyping based on appearance of those Pokemon. I do remember his Happiny had super-strength and that was hilarious. I've never liked his Croagunk or the poison-jab thing, though. Maybe it'll grow on me if I rewatch the DP arc again.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    It's all subjective. I thought AG Brock had a fairly strong Pokemon team in comparison to DP Brock, and he was still pretty well-balanced. The compare between him and Max, though, that was a bit jarring.

DP was plot driven, but character chemistry was severely lacking during the arc to me. His Pokemon team DID have personality, but the team itself was pretty...weak, to say the least.

Bulbapedia has a lot of opinions I disagree with. XD.

Imagine if AG was plot driven as well as DP but had the chemistry it had. That would of been amazing. I think the reason shows like Digimon do so well with bunch of mains is they are interesting. Like in season 1 we got Izzy being adopted TK and Matt's divorce Sora's mom issue and Tai feeling protective over his sister. The writers need to give the characters more persona and let them focus on goals at an even amount. Brock has no tournament to enter but that is no reason he could not have a traveling breeding center where he takes Pokemon and trains them and gives them back. Brock is interesting but the lack of writing him into things during DP made me sad. It was pretty much the Ash and Dawn Variety Half Hour.

I'm really hoping with the next series we get good interesting characters who are all done in an even amount,plot focus,humor and no regression and maybe a more mature series. I mean it is a kids show but out of most kid shows in Japan it has lot less mature content compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post
    Imagine if AG was plot driven as well as DP but had the chemistry it had. That would of been amazing. I think the reason shows like Digimon do so well with bunch of mains is they are interesting. Like in season 1 we got Izzy being adopted TK and Matt's divorce Sora's mom issue and Tai feeling protective over his sister. The writers need to give the characters more persona and let them focus on goals at an even amount. Brock has no tournament to enter but that is no reason he could not have a traveling breeding center where he takes Pokemon and trains them and gives them back. Brock is interesting but the lack of writing him into things during DP made me sad. It was pretty much the Ash and Dawn Variety Half Hour.

I'm really hoping with the next series we get good interesting characters who are all done in an even amount,plot focus,humor and no regression and maybe a more mature series. I mean it is a kids show but out of most kid shows in Japan it has lot less mature content compared to others.
    Agree wholeheartedly on all points.

Also, LOL @ Variety Half Hour.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Inviting bashers, I see.

//CLOSED
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12