Thread: Plasma Storm: Is the Power Creeping Up Again?

Default Plasma Storm: Is the Power Creeping Up Again?

Heya, it's been a while since I played competitively(I went to nationals in 2011 and was kinda dismayed at the power creep due to the large range of sets available for deck building). Looking over Black & White: Plasma Storm, I've noticed cards like Plasma's Lugia EX, which collects two prize cards per knockout(and you could easily rack up a knockout per turn if your opponent is having trouble with setup), and Plasma's Klinklang, which prevents all damage to your Metal Pokemon from Pokemon EX. Not to mention Victory Piece, which basically says that you can ignore energy costs on Victini EX(which of course seems like it's intended to be balanced since only one can be in a deck).

Has anyone else felt that these most recent cards have been indicative of another wave of power creep?
    Last edited by Cursed; 10th February 2013 at 9:02 AM.

Toybox Monolith

A comics, gaming, and stories site by people waiting for their next caffeine fix.

No.

This is nothing compared to the difference between HGSS cards and BW cards, especially considering EX Pokémon.

Consider several things:

First, Lugia EX's only attack takes four Energy. And one of them has to be a Plasma Energy because you have to discard one from it or the attack does nothing. And remember that you are only allowed four Plasma Energy in a deck. Don't get me wrong. Lugia EX may provide something of a counter to decks that rely on Pokémon EX, and the possibility of a three-prize come-from-behind victory is pretty cool. But it doesn't look like that will make it overpowered to the point where older decks/strategies can't keep up.

Klinklang will only help if you can build a deck of Metal types. For that purpose, it might be better than Sigilyph. Only might. Klinklang is stage two and therefore harder to get in play.

And while I certainly respect the combination of Victini EX and Victory Piece, Victini will have trouble dealing heavy enough damage. Its second attack does 100 damage, but only if it's attacking a Pokémon EX.

I might have thought the same thing about Articuno EX, since a Plasma Energy attached to it will allow it to Paralyze opponents automatically, no coin flip. But then, think about all the decks using Keldeo EX, with its Rush In Ability. I think these new cards can compete, maybe even exceed some cards from recent series, but I don't think these are an example of power creep.

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Plasma storm is a great set for the TCG and the format, lots of great ace spec and T/S/S cards such as Hypnotoxic Laser, virbank, ether, colress, etc, but compaired to the EXs we have from past sets are not nearly as good or decent.

Our past format with hgss-b/w is nowhere near as polished as as where we are at now.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I think there will always be a slow but steady power creep. It's the perfect way to ensure we keep buying new cards. If the power level remained the same, we could build competative decks without needing to buy new cards but if old decks become uncompetative due to being low powered, people HAVE to buy new cards. It keeps nintendo in business, which in turn ensures we keep getting more cards/games etc. So, in a way, we should be thankful for it.... i guess.
    Diamond FC: 2278 7854 4784
    Black FC: 0948 4516 0029
    3DS FC: 2062 9352 1117

I think there will always be a slow but steady power creep. It's the perfect way to ensure we keep buying new cards. If the power level remained the same, we could build competative decks without needing to buy new cards but if old decks become uncompetitive due to being low powered, people HAVE to buy new cards. It keeps nintendo in business, which in turn ensures we keep getting more cards/games etc. So, in a way, we should be thankful for it.... i guess.
    Now since I was always an unlimited player first, format player second, and playing throughout most of the mid-west of the states and the west and east coast of Canada, and what you're saying is a load of bull. Some of what you say makes sense but pokemon doesn't just want to give us op cards, if you compare the decks from hoenn and the DP format, hoenn would win hands down, it's not just about power, it's about taking the game to the next level with the players in mind, making it more about skill, technique and sometimes a little bit of luck, which is why they made the EXs in the plasma set and shinny set fairly crepy because they're not only thinking about the power these cards have but about the actual gameplay and if they didn't I probably wouldn't be playing pokemon.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).