Thread: EV's and IV's. Clarify?

Default EV's and IV's. Clarify?

Sorry but I'm slightly confused about EV's, and especially IV's and wondered if someone could clarify about them. I read up on them recently, but the IV's one didn't seem to make much sense. EV's seem different than what I originally thought, so let me spell it out.

EV's

What I thought: You fight a bunch of the same Pokemon to increase a certain stat, can't max out every stat for that Pokemon. If you breed such a Pokemon, the baby will have higher than average stats, and if you EV train that and breed it, same with the baby and so on. Long enough it's possible to have max stats on every stat of that Pokemon.

What I think now: Pretty much the same, minus everything with the breeding aspect of it. So if you want a strong Charizard, and raise it's stats and use all of the EV's, is that it? Nothing more can be done to make that Charizard stronger, or have another, stronger one?

IV's

WHat I thought: No clue

What I think now: Doing calculations on a stat to find out what number it is (0-31), and the higher that number, the more that stat will be able to be raised...I think? Is it really worth it though, since it's recommended not to do the calculations until level 50? Would suck only to find out the IV sucks after getting the Pokemon to 50.

Am I at all on the right track here? And is it at all possible to have a Pokemon be stronger than one EV training on it?

If this is for post adv then Pokemon can receive a total of 512 evs and a total of 255 evs for each stat. Everytime you beat a Pokemon you will receive from 1 to 3 EVs in one or two stats. The number of EVs you get and the stat(s) the EV(s) apply to are determined by the specie of the Pokemon. At level 100, for each 4 EVs, the stat will be 1 point higher. (at level 50 for each 8 etc)

IV's are easy. They are a value from 0 to 31, different for each Pokemon and stat, and inherent to the Pokemon. If say, a level 100 Charizard (assuming neutral nature) with 0 Attack IV has 198 attack, had the same charizard had an attack IV of 31, it's stat would've been 229. The variation of the stat due to the IV is proportional to the level of the pokemon (like with the evs)
    Mount Silver, the new community of competitive GSC.
    Monthly tournaments, tier discussion (including NU and LC!), links to useful GSC guides and analyses, and much more!
    The best place if you are new to competitive GSC or if you are looking for GSC tournaments!
    Check it here: http://mount-silver.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_ View Post
    If this is for post adv then Pokemon can receive a total of 512 evs and a total of 255 evs for each stat. Everytime you beat a Pokemon you will receive from 1 to 3 EVs in one or two stats. The number of EVs you get and the stat(s) the EV(s) apply to are determined by the specie of the Pokemon. At level 100, for each 4 EVs, the stat will be 1 point higher. (at level 50 for each 8 etc)

IV's are easy. They are a value from 0 to 31, different for each Pokemon and stat, and inherent to the Pokemon. If say, a level 100 Charizard (assuming neutral nature) with 0 Attack IV has 198 attack, had the same charizard had an attack IV of 31, it's stat would've been 229. The variation of the stat due to the IV is proportional to the level of the pokemon (like with the evs)
    Actually the total is 510.

yeah lol my bad
    Mount Silver, the new community of competitive GSC.
    Monthly tournaments, tier discussion (including NU and LC!), links to useful GSC guides and analyses, and much more!
    The best place if you are new to competitive GSC or if you are looking for GSC tournaments!
    Check it here: http://mount-silver.proboards.com/