Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View Post
    Yeah, that's why I'm not joining at this moment. I don't know if you guys are familiar of the fandoms I write for. And yeah, Serebii is where all of us post our Pokemon fanfiction.
    Well, Meeker and Silent Memento were writing fics based on the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which i never heard of before them. I dont think the fandom really matters.

EDIT:

WoJ Writing Pairs for March 29, 2013
    Sid87/Shadow Lucario 50
    Azurus/Sidewinder
    Brutaka/Agent Tectonic
    Gothic-Gothorita/Wyrm
    Lost Requiem/Deadly.Braviary
    Pokenutter/Silentmemento
    Superdaikenki/ChaosCaptain
    Meeker/Knightfall
    Kukansis/Kutie Pie
    DarkScarecrow/DiamondPearl876
    Last edited by Brutaka; 23rd March 2013 at 8:14 PM.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 22% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

I don't remember the last time I posted a story, but I did actually have a question for you guys when I just did.

How do you prefer to start your chapter fiction? (I.E, Prologue first, Small Prologue and Chapter, Chapter, ETC.)

For me, when I first started to write fanfiction I just started off with chapter one, as I always felt eager and just would jump head first into a story, only to leave it behind shortly afterwards. I tried writing a small prologue with a chapter for some time, but I didn't like that style and never really posted any stories with it. I think my preferred method is the prologue. I feel like it just sucks a reader in and gives them a type of anticipation for how the story is going to go, and if executed well is a real clincher. Also, I'd give anyone points who uses a cliffhanger that becomes a MacGuffin later in the story.

My humanity will corrode away... Until I'm just a monster...

Credit to EG for Banner.

How do you prefer to start your chapter fiction? (I.E, Prologue first, Small Prologue and Chapter, Chapter, ETC.)
    I like starting with Prologues. But thats just me. I guess it's up to the writer's style, I suppose.

Usually with first chapters where things mainly begin, since there's no inner details or spoilers I need to reveal. But with prologues in some fics that involve with protagonists going to an adventure, I guess I do that to make things make more sense I guess?

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    Well, Meeker and Silent Memento were writing fics based on the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which i never heard of before them. I dont think the fandom really matters.
    I know, but I'm more comfortable having someone that knows the canon characters from the fandom so that they can tell me if I have written them OOC and such.

Depends on when the beginning takes place, though I mostly start with a chapter. I like to foreshadow for what is to come in the future and that is what I tend to do with prologues, but sometimes I want to just dive in the plot straight on.

FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

He wasn't writing one, in fact, he's never played the game. I actually semi-scrapped that story, to be honest.

I like to use prologues, as they can give insight as to what the hell will be going on and/or give at least one character a background.
    Last edited by Meeker; 24th March 2013 at 9:04 AM.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Depends on the story. I tend to like prologues, but only if they'll fit with the story, so in most of my recent stories, few of them have prologues especially now that I know what prologues are used for. I like the fact the first few chapters are the introductory chapters, so that's why I spend a lot of time on them. Have to hook in readers, after all.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    Well, yeah, on Fictionpress, it's called the Writing Contest Challenge, so basically the same thing. I don't know, thought I'd propose it. Doing it has been pretty helpful for me, and I wondered what other people here would think. The Review Game was received rather well.
    That reminds me of some writing contests I used to do several years ago at a comic book based website. We would basically draft a team of 4-5 characters from fiction (mostly comics, so my team could be, say, Savage Dragon, Hellboy, Son Goku, Spider-Man, and Train Heartnet), and then bracket the writers off. The goal was that each writer in a match had to create a story where the two teams interacted (usually in some kind of fight/battle). It was all judged by plot, plausibility. handling of your own team, handling of the opposing team, etc.

Those were a lot of fun back in the day.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Well, over the two projects I have going, I have started them off two different ways. I typically like to use a prologue that stand's by itself in a post, and then put the first chapter.
    Though on my collab project, we put in a small prologue along with the first chapter. In my opinion, both ways are good, but a large prologue is a sure-fire way to establish the conflict, setting, characters, ect...

Knightfall signing off...

In all my cases except for my short stories, I start with a standalone prologue because it serves as a good hook and I can establish certain things that I can't in the first chapter. In most of my short stories, I just start with the first chapter/part/act/section.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013

Why I like fanfiction/writing: Ok, Im Ralts and Im a relatively new writer but a long time reader. I do shipping fics and every other kind you can name. My real.....what shall I call it....soap box, is storyboard. All the plans the pre writes the backbones, the characters, the setting...everything you hate about writing. Thats about it. Im working on two fics currently...ok...now Im done.

Credit to ~BrightStarVictory~ for the greatest banner EVAR!

Since it's been kinda dull lately...
    New topic!
    What grammatical mistake do you find the easiest to make?
    Confusing "seen" and "saw".
    I'll be honest, I don't have the rule memorized yet. Thankfully, one of my betas know it.
    I really should get around committing that to memory.

I like to just start with a chapter. If there are any side stories or if a character's history is needed then I would use another chapter for that.

I find that some comma rules are easy to miss. The most common one I see (and the one I make the most) is placing a comma before addressing someone. Instead of, "Hey, Bill." I usually see, "Hey Bill." I tend to forget this myself but then I'll remember how Air Dragon has pounded it into my head that a comma is needed before the proper noun.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

May I please join this fabulous and Awesome Club?

How do you portay romance correctly in your stories?

Cupcakes.

A lot of words. One of the reasons why the Grammar Police tried to arrest me.

Why I like fanfiction/writing: Because I got the power!!! Nah, I'm kidding. I do it because it's fun! Also to mess with people's heads.

Am I doing this correctly? Because I am a noob from planet Noobster.

So Dormant signing off..

One Author, One Creator and Two boys. Set in Johto. Where everything is not what it seems. For they must flee from the group called the Grammar Police. And saved the World from an unknown threat.

Credits to ~BrightStarVictory~ of Subspace Generate Graphics!

So Bad It's Good and, So Bad It's Good 2: War of the Turkey

Oneshot(s)! It's-IT'S. It's.....Something. Caution: May shatter your sanity. Read, if you dare.....

My Author's Profile

Confusing "seen" and "saw".
    I'll be honest, I don't have the rule memorized yet. Thankfully, one of my betas know it.
    I really should get around committing that to memory.
    If there's a "have", "had", "is" or "was" (or a corresponding contraction, or occasionally an implicit have/had/is/was) before it that's linked to it, then you use seen, which is the past perfect (e.g. "I've seen him", "He hadn't seen her standing there", "She had not really seen it that way, but she reluctantly conceded the point", "It's seen as rude to not finish the food on your plate", "She was last seen in Paris", "[Have you] Seen anything unusual?"). Otherwise, you always use saw, which is the plain past tense ("I saw him", "She saw nothing wrong with it", "What he saw was dreadful"). It's the exact same rule as with every other verb whose past and past perfect tenses are different, e.g. took/taken, did/done, wrote/written, drew/drawn, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeker
    I know that most people are reading the title of my original story wrong, given that it's in Icelandic. If any of you are from Iceland, please explain this, as I don't want to screw anything up like a bad translator.
    I am from Iceland, but I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to by "please explain this" - explain what, to whom?

Have you ever written 2 or more stories at once and enjoyed doing it? If so, how did you go about doing it? Meaning, how did you divide up your time to write both stories?

I successfully juggled The Quest for the Legends and Morphic for several years. I didn't really do any kind of conscious time management, though - those are two monumentally different stories with completely different tones, so sometimes I was in the mood for one and sometimes the other.

Have you ever tried writing and posting non-Pokemon Fandom Fics? If yes, how was it received and what do you enjoy from it? If no, why?

*points to intro post* I've written stuff for other fandoms, but never posted any of it. I'm really perfectionistic with characterization (most fanfic involving canon characters in anything feels OOC to me), so trying to write somebody else's characters almost invariably leads to deciding what I just wrote is awful and nobody should see it ever.

I wrote a Community fic the other day that I managed to show to my friend, who apparently liked it, but yeah.

I wouldn't think that should be an author's preference thing; surely you should start stories however works best for that particular story. TQftL has a prologue, but my other chapterfics don't because they don't need one - I wouldn't say I have any preference in that regard.

I generally don't have any difficulties with grammar, but as a non-native English speaker who learned the language to a significant extent through reading forum posts, I've sometimes picked up the wrong form of an idiom or expression and only discovered it years later (at which time I could swear it was supposed to be the way I've always used it, damn it). Like, for about a decade I said "Let go off me", not because I'm in any way confused about when to use off and of in a general sense, but because I was quite confident that particular expression was supposed to have an "off" for some reason, likely because I'd seen people use it that way and dismissed the correct form as an error when I did see that.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 26th March 2013 at 3:54 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post

I generally don't have any difficulties with grammar, but as a non-native English speaker who learned the language to a significant extent through reading forum posts, I've sometimes picked up the wrong form of an idiom or expression and only discovered it years later (at which time I could swear it was supposed to be the way I've always used it, damn it). Like, for about a decade I said "Let go off me", not because I'm in any way confused about when to use off and of in a general sense, but because I was quite confident that particular expression was supposed to have an "off" for some reason, likely because I'd seen people use it that way and dismissed the correct form as an error when I did see that.
    Agreed. Or the term, "I is happy", it's weird just by thinking of it or saying it, because is is referring to like another person. And yeah, "Let go off me" sounds redundant since like they're referring to latching on something. The easiest grammar mistake I make is tense issues. Yeah, I know about present and past tense, but sometimes I become adjusted to using both of them in the same story or chapter.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I've always wanted to be part of a mafia (especially a writing mafia!) so here you go.

Why you like fanfic/writing: From a young age I've had an interest in writing. I just really enjoy crafting different worlds and telling stories that haven't been heard, and I personally find writing to be quite a relaxing task to do*. I can't say I write much fan fiction, nor have I ever posted anything I've written on the forums (but that will change soon enough, I hope), but I do enjoy reading and writing. I tend to write original fiction; I'm not entirely sure why, but it's just something that I find easier and more enjoyable to do. Also I'm participating in Camp NaNo this year (won NaNo back in '11 but didn't participate last year due to exams) so I thought joining this club might give me some inspiration for the long month ahead of me!

* Unless you're in the process of editing or you've encountered the wonderful thing known as writer's block or any of myriad of problems that can slow down the writing process

I think I have the most difficulty with commas. Sometimes I find that I use too many commas and other times I omit commas. I've always found using commas properly to be quite difficult, if that counts as a grammatical error in this case. Apart from that, I sometimes have trouble with tense consistency though I'm getting better with regards to that problem.

I don't have a preference at all. As others have stated, it's a situational thing - if I feel my work requires a prologue, then so be it. If not, I'll start off with a chapter.

Switching tenses. A while ago my stories tend to have present and past tense all over the place, haha. I'm able to have the tenses consistent now, although there might be one or two words in present tense by accident on a past tense story (that happened on a recent story and I quickly ninja edit, lol).

Sometimes awkward sentences also. My betas tend to point out any sentences that didn't sound clear, are too wordy, etc.

FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

I usually don't care about these mini-topics, but this one caught my eye.

Anyway, the answer is ending sentences with a preposition. It's incredibly easy to want to do because it is how EVERYONE speaks, and, in a lot of cases, the "correct" rewording comes across as pretentious, wordy, and/or awkward. I KNOW not to end sentences in a preposition, but it is still really tempting to just do it anyway.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Like Dragonfree, English isn't my first language (I learnt most of my English through reading books, though, which is quite similar anyway), and even so, I've picked up some wrong uses of certain words and expressions. I think the biggest "mistake" I make is switching between British English and American English, since I learnt it the latter way when I was younger but when I moved to England I started to use the former way, but still with some traces of the latter. It also doesn't help that most people here speak American English, so I'm picking up more of that as well. Some people seem to get confused because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree
    I am from Iceland, but I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to by "please explain this" - explain what, to whom?
    Well, that's handy. What I was saying was how to pronounce it using English letters. I'm guessing that the pronunciation of my title, Auđn, is something a lot of readers end up screwing up. Could you please tell them, or me, how it's pronounced?
    Last edited by Meeker; 27th March 2013 at 5:03 AM.
    Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    Well, that's handy. What I was saying was how to pronounce it using English letters. I'm guessing that the pronunciation of my title, Auđn, is something a lot of readers end up screwing up. Could you please tell them, or me, how it's pronounced?
    [řɪđn], if my IPA-fu is not wildly off. Somewhat unfortunately, neither the [ř] sound nor the [đn] consonant combination ever occur in English to my knowledge, so that probably doesn't help very much.

The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    [řɪđn], if my IPA-fu is not wildly off. Somewhat unfortunately, neither the [ř] sound nor the [đn] consonant combination ever occur in English to my knowledge, so that probably doesn't help very much.
    Well, I meant the sound that they make. If I'm not mistaken, I heard it, and it sounded similar to (EYE-ethn). If I'm not mistaken, it means "wasteland," correct?
    Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    Well, I meant the sound that they make. If I'm not mistaken, I heard it, and it sounded similar to (EYE-ethn). If I'm not mistaken, it means "wasteland," correct?
    Like I said, these are sounds that don't actually occur in English, so without the International Phonetic Alphabet, it's kind of hard to write it out in a way that an English-speaker would parse correctly. You don't have the actual au sound at all (it's kind of between "uh" and "oy", I guess?). And while you do have the đ sound (the th- in "the"), you don't distinguish in spelling between it and what we would write as ţ (the th- in "thing"), and in actual English words that contain the consonant cluster "thn", it's always the ţ sound as far as I'm aware, as in "ethnic". This is the đ sound and not the ţ one, but that doesn't get across by just writing it as "th". Auđn is also one syllable, while EYE-ethn explicitly splits it into two. All in all, "EYE-ethn" implies it sort-of rhymes with "Leviathan", which it definitely does not.

(I believe you when you say you've heard it and thought that seemed like the best written approximation, but going from that written out back to the actual pronunciation for someone who hasn't heard it is more problematic. Plus that while an English-speaking brain would be happy to regard the unfamiliar sound au as being pretty much like "eye", that sounds wayyyy wrong to an Icelandic-speaker, who would write that sound as ć while au is a particular completely different one. It's a general matter of what distinctions your brain is used to making when you parse sound.)

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a problem with you or your particular transcription so much as a general problem of trying to write the phonetics of one language with another. Me trying to spell English out phonetically in Icelandic would be equally off.

And yes, it does mean wasteland.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 28th March 2013 at 5:10 PM.

Morphic

To Dragonfree and Meeker: I used Google Translate's voice section and it pronounced Auđn simply as THON :P anyway, I've been saying AYthn for some reason. Does that sound right?

~Deadly

plot, bounty hunters, crazed tax collectors
    a journeyfic by the most improved writer of 2012, second place
    what more could you want?

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast