Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly.Braviary View Post
    To Dragonfree and Meeker: I used Google Translate's voice section and it pronounced Auđn simply as THON :P anyway, I've been saying AYthn for some reason. Does that sound right?

~Deadly
    The Google Translate pronunciation is a bit hard to hear since the sound quality is terrible, but it's definitely not "THON". Actually it sounds more like "Auđun" (a name), since it makes the n sound like a separate syllable at the end. Does a pretty good au, though.

(...damn you, now I'm making it say random Icelandic words and giggling at it. "Ellilífeyrisţeginn" sounds like a robot announcing it plans to take over humanity.)

Google Translate seems to know the International Phonetic Alphabet and use a voice synthesizer to string together the sounds that make up the word, but that's veeeery imperfect. Don't listen to Google Translate say English phrases and assume the pronunciation for little obscure languages spoken by 300,000 people is of similar quality, because it really isn't.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 28th March 2013 at 6:49 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    The Google Translate pronunciation is a bit hard to hear since the sound quality is terrible, but it's definitely not "THON". Actually it sounds more like "Auđun" (a name), since it makes the n sound like a separate syllable at the end. Does a pretty good au, though.

(...damn you, now I'm making it say random Icelandic words and giggling at it. "Ellilífeyrisţeginn" sounds like a robot announcing it plans to take over humanity.)

Google Translate seems to know the International Phonetic Alphabet and use a voice synthesizer to string together the sounds that make up the word, but that's veeeery imperfect. Don't listen to Google Translate say English phrases and assume the pronunciation for little obscure languages spoken by 300,000 people is of similar quality, because it really isn't.
    Yeah, I used Google Translate, but I was to embarrassed to admit it... I'll know not to trust it now.

Anyway, I looked up that "ř" thing, and it sounded similar to [oo], like in moon.

Argh! Languages are confusing!
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Huh, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    Argh! Languages are confusing!
    You haven't met Sanskrit yet. Y'know POVs (first person, second person, third person)? There are freakin' eight of those in Sanskrit. (Not sure how reliable that information is, since a friend who studies Sanskrit told me that ...)

Before this gets too off-topic ... NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC!

Would you give your fic, someone else's fic, or any fic at all, a soundtrack? Why, and what kind of music?

Because I've seen it done. There's this big trilogy over here called the Shiva Trilogy, and to market the final book, the author released a soundtrack (I think it's for the last book only, not the entire series). And, closer to Serebii, Missingno. Master's Adventure of Adventureness series had most battles set to remixes of game music.

To me, music + writing is a great combination. It really helps you write. And reading? When you read a good book with music playing, and the lyrics/instruments just hit that right note to underscore that bit you're reading. And BOOM! you just connect with the book. Yeah, I'm crap at describing it. In the end, I'd love to give my fic a fitting soundtrack - the only problem would be finding the right music.

~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

Would you give your fic, someone else's fic, or any fic at all, a soundtrack? Why, and what kind of music?

A definitely would! A lot of it would be bands like Tool and A Perfect Circle, or something else that I find fits the mood.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

**** YES! I'm doing this WRITE. THIS. INSTANT. I'm currently writing an Epic called The Leafeon of Legend, and when I read the Prologue, I listen to Final Fantasy VI Opening Theme, different parts of the story the battle theme changes to a song like Blinded by Light from Final Fantasy XIII (depending on what kind of battle it is), it's totally amazing, it feels like I'm watching my characters battle! And when I have like Shipping moments, I play a song like Forever Rachel from Final Fantasy VI or when I'm at a Dungeon/Cave part I play dungeon like music like Find Your Way from Final Fantasy VIII. Heck, the story's main theme is the masterpiece that is Final Fantasy VI Opening Theme. Well, it's the entire "trilogy's" main theme actually.... XD; I generally incorporate music into my stories, all the time, because it's fun and it really gets the feel of that certain part. /stopstalkingnow

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

A thousand times yes, I would give my fic a soundtrack. For the most part, it would be just music with a really dark atmosphere to them, though for the emotional parts, a piano or violin (or both, though I wouldn't mind the celesta) are the main pieces. I otherwise have loads of musical inspirations such as movie soundtracks to help in my writing. I've noticed that if I want to get into the mind of the villain, the soundtrack to Hunchback of Notre Dame works. Same with most of the Higurashi or Elfen Lied soundtrack. Songs with lyrics in them can work as well, but it depends on them at times.

I swear, my music inspiration changes a whole freaking lot when it comes to my stories, and thus the soundtrack changes.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Oh, absolutely. I always imagine music in my fic, though thats mostly due to the fact that I'm always listening to it while I write. I'm actually thinking of releasing a list of song titles when I finish a chaptered fic included the names of songs I listened to motivate me.
    However, if it were an actual soundtrack, it'd have to match the story. Unfortunately, I haven't found many songs to match my fics.

Youtube Pokemon Re-Orchestrations are pretty good... Plus One Republic, Lifehouse, and The Script... Though most of them don't match well..
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Already done. I can't write without music. I usually pick out an opening and an ending. I then picture an animation for both. Since I can't draw to save my life, they stay exactly where they came from; my head.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

To some extent, I already have. Music is one of the many things that helped inspire my first and biggest story: PMD: Overthrown. I always listen to music when I write and the right kinds can fit certain scenes perfectly.

I tend to use video game ost and remixes of those when I'm looking for music. Although the song "Exile Vilify" by the National played a big role in the development of my story as it is now.

Knightfall signing off...

Back when I was writing Hero's Path, I used it as an opportunity to do things I could never get away with in original fiction. For example, I had a character who would continually quote Shakespeare and name his pokemon after characters from the major plays. I used crossed over characters from my original fiction to see how they would interact. But one of the big things I did was incorporate Broadway showtunes into the story. I did a whole arc drawing from Les Miserables songs, and I also used quite a bit of Wicked, Chicago and Camelot. I loved doing it, and my readers liked it too, but the only problem was they would have to be taken out of the story for a moment to actually play the music. If there was a way to seamlessly integrate music into a story, then I'd be all for it.

As it stands, because people have to actually go and play the music, I'm a little hesitant to try something like that again.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

I'll be the odd one out and say no. :P While I may listen to music while I write, that music has nothing to do with what I'm writing, and because it wasn't written for the story, I would feel thoroughly odd about putting it into a "soundtrack" for it. Of course there are movies that use preexisting music to great effect, but they do it by really having that music there in the scene and forging a new connection and meaning for that music in the viewer's mind that way. It just feels weird to me to try to make a soundtrack of preexisting music for a book or fanfic.

Part of it is also that I tend to listen to music because of how it's already connected in my mind - there are some anime and video game soundtracks I listen to often, for instance, but when I listen to them I think of the anime or video game that they're from and the particular scenes where that song is used; I can't just grab a song and try to score a scene in my fic with it without inevitably bringing to mind where it's originally from. Any songs with lyrics are similarly already about something that isn't my fic, and it would just distract me massively that the lyrics are obviously not actually about the fic. Especially songs from musicals, whose lyrics are literally scenes from other stories. Pokémon soundtracks could work without being massively distracting to me, but just "the score for the gym battle is the gym leader battle music from Pokémon game X" would make for a pretty uninspired soundtrack.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I'll be the odd one out and say no. :P While I may listen to music while I write, that music has nothing to do with what I'm writing, and because it wasn't written for the story, I would feel thoroughly odd about putting it into a "soundtrack" for it. Of course there are movies that use preexisting music to great effect, but they do it by really having that music there in the scene and forging a new connection and meaning for that music in the viewer's mind that way. It just feels weird to me to try to make a soundtrack of preexisting music for a book or fanfic.

Part of it is also that I tend to listen to music because of how it's already connected in my mind - there are some anime and video game soundtracks I listen to often, for instance, but when I listen to them I think of the anime or video game that they're from and the particular scenes where that song is used; I can't just grab a song and try to score a scene in my fic with it without inevitably bringing to mind where it's originally from. Any songs with lyrics are similarly already about something that isn't my fic, and it would just distract me massively that the lyrics are obviously not actually about the fic. Especially songs from musicals, whose lyrics are literally scenes from other stories. Pokémon soundtracks could work without being massively distracting to me, but just "the score for the gym battle is the gym leader battle music from Pokémon game X" would make for a pretty uninspired soundtrack.
    I'll go you one better and say not only do I not have any musical soundtracking ideas for fics, but I also CAN NOT write with music playing. Or television playing. Or anyone talking. Heck, I can barely write when my cats are crying about whatever it is that boggles them. As I've gotten older, I require a more and more sterile environment for writing.

I do distinctly recall being able to write with music playing around me when I was in college, but that was a long time ago at this point, and my needs and tastes have changed. Now, if I have music playing, I find it to be an absolutely atrocious distraction, and my writing really suffers from it because I'm not focusing the words.

But to the subject at hand? No, I don't tend to soundtrack things. It's not the kind of thing I think about, really. I'm not a big music aficionado as it is, so I'm not even sure what would really work where.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Nooope. Or at least not the way people seem to be talking about it here--I mean, like, I could in some cases do a fanmix kind of thing, like "pick a song that you think represents this character/scene/chapter/fic/whatever", but it's not like envisage that music actually playing during the 'fic itself. I don't have any particular kind of music I typically use for writing, because once I start writing I stop paying attention and can't hear it anyway... and in general I don't imagine scenes from books or other things I'm reading as being set to music, so to me it would be kind of weird that fanfic would be any different.

I do have one 'fic that was actually inspired by a song ("Still Alive" from Mirror's Edge), and in that case listening to the song does get me psyched up about working in the 'fic, but even then I would just call it the 'fic's "theme song," like what you would hear playing over the end credits of a movie, not a track that would actually play over any of the scenes in the story.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

I have done a fanmix on songs/music that fit the characters and themes of a chaptered fic of mine, but they're not songs I imagined playing on a scene save for maybe two or three instrumental ones (and those ones I still see more used as representations of a setting/character/etc than background music). Pretty much I don't think I would want to make a soundtrack per say and I see myself moreso making a playlist/fanmix for my stories.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Current Writing Pairs of April 5, 2013
    Azurus/Shadow Lucario 50
    Sid87/Sidewinder
    Brutaka/Gothic-Gothorita
    Agent Tectonic /Wyrm
    SilentMemento/Deadly.Braviary
    Pokenutter/Lost Requiem
    Knightfall/ChaosCaptain
    Meeker/DarkScarecrow
    Superdaikenki/Kutie Pie
    Kukansis/DiamondPearl876
    Last edited by Brutaka; 31st March 2013 at 7:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    Knightfal/ChaosCaptain
    Knightfall is spelled wrong. *shot*

I'm surprised more people aren't joining the Writers of Justice. I know most vets wouldn't need the extra help, but still, I did expect a larger response ...

~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

I'm surprised more people aren't joining the Writers of Justice. I know most vets wouldn't need the extra help, but still, I did expect a larger response ...
    Do keep in mind most of us are in college/have jobs and thus may not always have the time to participate in the meetings. High school students will happily jump on, but adults aren't as flexible (some of us anyway). A lot of folks here would love to join, it's just the time that keeps them at bay. I'd say we'll give it a few more months. I think we'll get a small boom during the summer.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Would you give your fic, or someone else's fic, or any fic at all, a soundtrack? Why, and what kind of music?

In specific terms, no. I may give a certain song that describes the fic well, but never a full soundtrack for each scene. I never really thought about a certain song playing during the fic itself though, partly because i do not see the fics as movies. It just seems awkward for me when I'm reading something and listening to a soundtrack that describes the moment at the same time. That's just me though.

The true kind of music depends on the type and tone of the chapter/story/moment. If your chapter/story is exciting and eventful, you probably need an upbeat type of music. It all depends.

Knightfall is spelled wrong. *shot*
    Which is incredibly funny considering he wrote the list.

Yes. I do that for most recent work. The music from the series sets the mood or the situation of the scene, whether serious, sad, or funny. Considering most of my work is action based, music for battles helps too.

What are these writing pairs and how do I get one? I must have one!
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lucario View Post
    Refer to this post: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...4#post15832124

Basically, every Friday, some of us pair of randomly with other participating members and then we write our fics on Google Docs. It's a way of solving the whole Beta Reader problem that has never been really solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lucario View Post
    I'm not sure. Maybe they pick us randomly, I wasn't picked either.

It depends, if it's a document whenever a story has a mood to go with the story. But, it would disrupt the reader's visual imagination of what's happening in the story by reading it and hearing the soundtrack at the same time. Though some are shown as peaceful and quiet, there may be some loud metal and rock music that goes with it, and it sometimes takes away the seriousness of the story.

Anyways, I may do that if it's required, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    Refer to this post: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...4#post15832124

Basically, every Friday, some of us pair of randomly with other participating members and then we write our fics on Google Docs. It's a way of solving the whole Beta Reader problem that has never been really solved.
    I may do that! Since I have a WIP of a chapter I have and I wanted to show it to a person privately before it's submitted in Serebii.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 31st March 2013 at 10:08 PM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    I'm not sure. Maybe they pick us randomly, I wasn't picked either.
    You have to sign up for it. JX hasnt been around to update the OP with the info, so I have to keep referring people to that post.

I may do that! Since I have a WIP of a chapter I have and I wanted to show it to a person privately before it's submitted in Serebii.
    Well, read the post over and make sure you understand how it all works. Then get back to me.

I posted this over at the writing group forum, and I thought I'd share it here:

"As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people's ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life." -Amy Poehler

I'm a big fan of collaborative writing. Even though the collaboration project for the writing group seems to have fallen on its face, I've always been a big fan of writing with other people. Back when I was in college at the TURN OF THE CENTURY (*wavey arms* Baaaaaaack in the daaaaay), I was a part of a few different groups of writers where we created our own shared comic book universes. One of the groups motored along successfully for about 8 years or so. It was a LOT of fun to work with, and we all had a great deal of respect and trust for each other. At times, we did not get along AT ALL (lots of big, forceful personalities), but we always respected each other as writers. It is some of the best lessons I've ever learned as a writer, working with those guys, and most of us are still good buddies to this day. We all handled each others' characters, and we understood everything we did impacted everyone else. It really made everyone think really hard about what they were planning and creating.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast