Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    What is your favorite genre to read?

Fantasy, for the most part, though I'm primarily interested in fantasy novels that break the traditional "hero goes on an epic quest to defeat dark power, epic cycle" model. I also dabble a bit in post-apocalyptic sci-fi, and lately I've been reading a lot of 19th century lit, like Dickens, Hugo, etc. As far as fanfiction goes... I actually don't read fanfiction.

Do you use Original Characters in your work?

Seeing as I'm working strictly in original fiction right now, yeah, I do. And even when I dabble in fanfic, I use OCs. Back in Hero's Path, a few canon characters made cameos, but the focus was mostly on the characters I had personally developed. It's a matter of personal preference really, but I feel like I can develop a better psychosis for a character I've built from the ground up. However, I think I'll be working on a Nuzlocke fic soon about my run through Diamond, and by its nature I'll have to use a lot of the characters that appear in the games. I'll still keep them in-character, obviously, but I'd like to add my own spin to it. Like, for example, I think I'm going to make the rival a cancer patient who has gone through chemo, and he's racing through his journey because he wants to finish before he has a relapse.

What defines a Sue character?

Well, TV Tropes gives a pretty good definition and a [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SueTraits]list of common characteristics[/url], which should probably answer any questions you have. If you want a more personal definition, how I specificially would define a Mary Sue, it's an original character that the writer has gone out of the way to make perfect, or at least tries to make the audience perceive as perfect. They don't have any flaws (or very few flaws) within the story, but they are most certainly are spotlight stealers. They warp the plot around them, too. Now, there's a difference between being central to the plot and warping it. You can have a character who figures largely into the plot and causes many plot events to happen around them. Protagonists, by nature, do this. But it's a different matter entirely when you make other characters act counter to their characterization just so this other Sue character can accomplish something.

I will preface my next remark by saying I have not read Twilight. I have seen the first movie, and so if there is a difference in characterization, then I am focusing solely on the character of Bella in movie adaptation. See, she's someone who strikes me as a massive Sue because she's the new girl in school, with a fancy, flowery name and a very vanilla characterization. She seems like a very bland person, and yet everyone is bending over backwards for her, laughing at her poor attempts at humor and generally fawning over her. See, that doesn't happen to the new girl at school. No one pays attention to the new kid. They most certainly do not fawn adoringly over the new kid. And yet she warps the natural inclinations of characters so the story can do what the author wants it.

Basically, a Sue character is a violation of one of Vonegut's storytelling techniques, be a sadist. Nothing bad happens to them, or if it does, it's not permanent. I remember in the Eragon books, the titular character receives a scar on his back that somehow prevents him from wielding magic and also hampers his ability to fight. This was a cool plot element, making him have this whole psychosocial struggle. But not too long after, not only is the scar healed and his status as a cripple removed, but he also gains increased stamina, speed, and strength in the process. His handicap is absolved, and he's given new powers for free.

So a Sue is basically a character the author has projected themselves onto rather strongly, and does not want to see bad things happen to aforementioned character. They manipulate the world of the story in ways that don't make sense to the readership just so they can make their chosen character shine. Basically, just read the TV Tropes pages, it's got everything I said, put a little more eloquently.
    I see, but what about canon characters? People have done those things to them to make them Suish/Stuish.

Several times in main, supporting, and background roles. Now these days I write canon characters but I tend to bring in original characters in as well.

Feralninja already explained what a Sue is more or less, so I won't repeat here. XD I will say though the "have something bad happen" doesn't have to be permanent. A character can struggle something and then able to break through, but it depends if that character worked through that struggle or not.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

What is your favorite genre to read?

Fantasy books are more my style, as long as the whole "fantasy aspect" is not overdone. I couldn't even get through The Hobbit and Eragon, sadly. It was just too much information about this made-up world for my brain to absorb, in too little time. Otherwise I like to read adventure and drama, usual stuff you find at your local library.

In my opinion, a Sue character is usually the protagonist, who is perfect in every aspect. Usually if nothing bad happens to them, it just seems so unbelievable to me. That's really not what life is actually like at all. Not every protagonist is a Sue character, but usually one is when the author is trying to assert themself into the story. Feralninja pretty much summed it up in a cleaner way then i did though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    I see, but what about canon characters? People have done those things to them to make them Suish/Stuish.
    The same thing applies. I mean, I don't use canon characters, but I guess if they make the other characters around them act OOC just so that they can have the spotlight, they're Sues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View Post

Feralninja already explained what a Sue is more or less, so I won't repeat here. XD I will say though the "have something bad happen" doesn't have to be permanent. A character can struggle something and then able to break through, but it depends if that character worked through that struggle or not.
    Right, and the how is important. That's what bugged me about Eragon, he didn't do anything to overcome it. He just spent half the book moping about how he was now a failure until the writer was like "Don't be sad, my beautiful self-insert. Here, have all your old abilities back. Here, have some new ones too. No, no cost to you, just watch these people dance and do a deus ex machina spell." In the original story I just finished writing, one of my characters experienced a psychological trauma that left him completely bereft and unable to be in the company of others for anything less than short bursts. Not to mention that it induced a form of schizophrenia and turned him into a nihilist. By the story's end, he had managed to overcome it, but not without confronting it over and over again, and dealing with the consequences of his actions for a long time. It wasn't just handed to him.

That's the thing I've got an issue with, when characters are just handed ways out of difficult situations, especially when it would be so much better to have them grow and develop as a character and overcome it on their own.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

What defines a Sue character is if nothing messed up is with a specific character. Maybe she has a perfect face, a perfect life. and nothing specifically happening to her. It's been around the media for a long time, even a TV show I watched that was about a blonde girl in a boarding school that had a perfect life too. But, yeah, and I had a forum thread a few months back regarding to that.

Almost all the time. OTs are made by you based on your own individual thoughts and emotions, and you know them personally so it's easy to make a story and add them into it to center the whole entire story or plot. Including an upcoming OT fic I made that I had to do it to the main character, which is an OT since this is the character's own story.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Why you like fanfic/writing: I like to come up with plots. For me, that's easy. Although I suck at writing, I'm still good at coming up with good plots. Because of that, I guess I got into writing. I'm also a huge fan of creepy things. So writing Creepypasta for me is really enjoyable.
    Under Construction

Current Writing Pairs of May 3, 2013
    Agent Tectonic/ChaosCaptain
    Kukansis/Brutaka
    Knightfall/Kutie Pie
    Silentmemento/Superdaikenki
    Quilava42/Lost Requiem
    Shadow Lucario (SL)/Deadly.Braviary
    DiamondPearl876/Pokenutter
    Colt45/Meeker

Absent Authors:
    Sid87
    DarkScarecrow
    Gothic Gothorita
    Wyrm
    Azurus
    Sidewinder
    Shadow Lucario 50

Added an Absent List so that we don't match people to people who can't make it.

Also, the WoJ is still taking members. Remember, you don't actually have to have a fic a to join, just an interest in writing.

And for those of you who are already participating, keep in mind that the Friday meetings last as long as you want, not just until 8, or some other arbitrary time.

Aaaaaaaanyways....

How did your first attempt at writing go?

Hehehe, not well at all. I got maybe 18 pages and then i got stuck. The story had a working title of Crystallized. It was about these three kids of get elemental super powers from some gems they found, and they have to fight a bad dude who got a power from a fourth gem.
    *shrug* Sounded good to me at the time.

Well, you can actually find my first attempt in the link in my sig. XD
    PMD: Overthrown is my first attempt at creative writing, and currently, it is at 102,849 words and still counting. So, I think it's going pretty well. Granted some of the very first drafts weren't too great, but it's come a long way.

Knightfall signing off...

Before joining in Serebii''s fanfic forum I did a historical fiction story. I was able to finish it but I never got the chance to look over it and edit it, haha. When I did my first fic here I was able to get it finished and posted the whole story, but oh man so many grammar mistakes (so embrassed at my seventeen year old self). :x

I don't remember if I've answered this question, but I consider most of my characters OCs because I try to make them different from the canon interpretations. If I were to write a fic about Ash, I have no doubt he'd end up disgustingly OOC.

I don't even remember. It was ages ago, when I was probably around nine.

~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

(Not counting stuff I had to do for school.) Ironically it was more popular than anything I'm writing now. xD That would be the story: Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place. I can't really call that my first story, since I did an even worse version before it that I didn't post. That was the Alpha version of NITWOMP. It was unintentionally funny at points due to amateurish writing.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 22 is up.

It was alright, people did like it even if I feel like it was complete and utter crap. I had a lot of grammar mistakes and I can't write 1st person, and I didn't even know how to punctuate dialogue and so forth. Though I do plan on rewriting it after I do finish up TIme Relativity or Sparking Snowflakes.

Most of the times yes, as I find it really hard to write Canon characters. Semi-Canon (I.E Pikachu) are fine though. I guess with my Oc's, I feel like I could bend there personalities a little and not worry about going OOC most of the time.

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

Needless to say, it went pretty terrible. Sure it got lots of attention (surprisingly...), but it wasn't good. It wasn't exactly 'me' either, it had a plethora of grammar mistakes and so many spelling errors; not to mention it was for a fandom that feels the need to rip people that make mistakes into shreds.

Usually, no. Not in my fanfiction. I myself, find it very difficult to read a fanfic where an original character has been added; especially when this character is boring and predictable. I save my huge list of OCs for my own works, preferring to keep them separate from the fandom world.

I have no idea, I think I wiped that from memory. People at least like what I wrote when I first joined so... pretty good?
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Why you like fanfic/writing: To be honest I love all forms of art, drawing and writing are tied for first in my life and since I'm already in the Artist's Corner I should be here too. I've been writing for a few years, mostly since my Sophomore year of high school when I joined the journalism class, yearbook committee, and Writer's Workshop class in the same year. I had the pleasure of being the Editor of the school newspaper, which was published weekly in a local newspaper, during my Junior and Senior years. One of my biggest inspirations is J.R.R. Tolkien, though I enjoy most genres, but mostly fantasy, Sci-fi, Horror, and Gothic. I haven't really written much as far as fan fic's are concerned, at least none that I would let anyone see, but I enjoy trying new things and I can't wait to complete my first challenge.

New topic time!

What characters or types of characters appeal to you the most?

For me, I'd have to say it's the realistic and flawed kind. Not everyone you meet is a hero, and your story should reflect that. The characters in it must be dynamic, not stagnant, and they should interact with people and things like you and me would. If an evil team is taking over the world, do you think you'd say, "Alright, time to stop them!"? No, more likely, you'd call the police. We're not all heroes, and that's alright; your story should reflect that.

~Deadly
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

I like it when average, run-of-the-mill people do great things. Has to be realistic, of course, but it's still cool.
    What I'm saying is, is that's it' not that impressive if Superman saves this guy from falling to his death. I mean, who cares? He's Superman, that's his job.
    But if someone without powers that nobody knows saves someone somehow, well, thats loads more interesting.

Holy crap, I actually don't know o_o. Outside of the obvious "well-written characters, some with tragic back-stories, others are just that well-rounded, and they are strong-willed", I really don't know. You talking about characters we just come to like in general, or characters we find ourselves writing the most?

Um... well... I have noticed that characters with autism or similar mental disabilities tend to show up in my stories, and they're all female so far. I have no idea why, even though I think it's because I have Asperger's and my little brothers have autism or just have a learning disability. I'm also pretty much surrounded by autistic people at college, so I'm exposed to it a lot, whether I'm aware of it or not. So in a way, I guess this is "real life writes the plot" in a way. Of course, the characters with this disability tend to be really happy characters who aren't aware of their disability, or they just don't care because they love life. Of course, they do get on people's nerves, but they don't seem to care.

Now I have plans to break down these cuties, of course, but otherwise, they are quirky, happy characters. It's odd, in a way.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Current Writing Pairs of May 10, 2013
    Kukansis/Agent Tectonic/Knightfall
    Kutie Pie/Superdaikenki
    ChaosCaptain/Shadow Lucario 50
    Quilava42/Colt45
    Shadow Lucario (SL)/Lost Requiem
    Deadly.Braviary/Pokenutter
    DiamondPearl876/Nixill
    Meeker/Visharp

Absent Authors:
    Brutaka
    Silentmemento
    Sid87
    DarkScarecrow
    Gothic Gothorita
    Wyrm
    Azurus
    Sidewinder
    Last edited by Brutaka; 7th May 2013 at 4:30 AM.

Do you use Orginal Characters in your work?

I write almost exclusively original characters; I have a hard time writing other people's characters without deciding their voices don't sound quite right and that whatever I just wrote is awful.

What defines a Sue/Stu character?

I've written a couple of posts on this topic fairly recently that say most of what I have to say.

My very first proper attempt at writing was about a horse, written into a Toy Story notebook when I was seven years old. It was utterly ridiculous and my mom made the mistake of laughing when she read it, which offended me horribly at the time.

Characters who are utterly screwed up, with psychological problems deeper than the Mariana Trench. :D

I love characters who refuse to acknowledge their emotions and vulnerabilities (if they're POV characters, this would mean they refuse to even mentally acknowledge them on a conscious level), who do awful things and are twisted by guilt and rationalization, who are normally strong and level-headed but then break spectacularly under some kind of extreme circumstances, who believably have some kind of all-consuming obsession... This is one of the reasons I love elyvorg's fics, by the way. She also writes a lot of my other favorite kind of character, namely characters who are adorably devoted to one another. elyvorg and I were made for each other.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

I tend to like characters who are mysterious, which the reader has to puzzle out by the clues that the author gives. Characters that have a backstory which explains their personality is also one of my favorites. I don't like peppy, very optimistic characters that much, oddly enough. I like darker characters because to me they seem more realistic in this current day and age. I'm not that picky about characters I suppose.

Not usually. I stick with canon characters and canon OCs over my own OCs, and even then, I only use them to fill in role gaps I may need in a story. They'd be minor ones at best, though; if there's a major role I can give to a canon character, I'll give it to the existing character over creating a new John or Jane to do it. I feel like making entire new characters is too much effort for such a small purpose, especially when you still have to tack them down before you write them in.

The aforementioned psychological issues (HIGH FIVE DRAGONFREE), and especially those that are screwed up enough to have their screwiness leak into their relationships. The more dysfunctional, the better! I love characters that, in canon, start out with issues that actually lessen over time. When it comes to writing, I really enjoy characters that are capable of banter and deadpan snark, and I have a soft spot for writing really closeted and easily-embarrassed characters because they're just too fun to torture.

Let me tangent off that last question, and for anyone else to answer:

What kinds of ships do you like to write/would you write?

So it's no secret I find guilty pleasure in unhealthy relationships. Not necessarily abusive, but unhealthy -- one side has deep-seated trauma that affects their relationship with the other party; one is immature in ways that makes them unsuitable for romance but they become a romantic object for someone anyway; one has literally no idea how to be honest with their partner about how they feel and are hyperdefensive to the point of abrasiveness... stuff like that. Also, I will admit willingly that I love the **** out of three-way relationships, just for the added dynamic of how a third person can affect things between the three, and among the people around them as well (something, unfortunately, that gets glossed over more often than not). Polyamorous or not, it's totally my solution when it comes to triangles. (Freudian? Maybe.) Too bad it's a logistical nightmare to try and write out...

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Like Flarelover, I tend to like it when there are good backstories that shaped what the characters are in the story. I also like characters that make their own choices despite several factors around them that can make it almost impossible for them to do so.

What kinds of ships do you like to write/would you write?

With ships it depends if I like the interactions between the characters and, for romantic ships, if I see some chemistry. I tend to go for both characters willing to support and do anything for one another.

From a writer's perspective, I'm not picky about the types of characters that I write. I always try to give them development, depth, and realism, and I end up liking the characters for that reason, regardless of their personalities. I've found that I always have to have at least one sarcastic character in everything I write, who pokes fun at the situations and other characters.

From a reader's perspective... I really don't know. I have trouble figuring out the pattern between characters that I like, and I'm usually pretty self aware. elyvorg is actually much better at determining what characters I like than I am. xD. I like sarcastic characters, unless but too many at once kind of spoils it. I don't know. I should figure it out sometime.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 22 is up.

Almost exclusively so far. Recently, though, canon (game) characters have started to pop up in a lot more of my stuff; I might eventually end up writing a full-on chapterfic about one (only two more chapterfics to complete first!). For characters from the older games, they're essentially OC's, since they have little to no actual characterization in the games... but I'm still a bit worried that people will be unhappy with their characterizations, since they're almost nothing at all like their anime counterparts or common fanon depictions. We'll see, I suppose.

I like Tricksters and Determinators best, and ideally characters who are both. I also love misunderstood characters, especially those who are vilified for one reason or another but who just keep on doing what they do because it's important, dammit, and somebody has to do it, without regard to what other people think of them.

I write all kinds of characters, of course, but I seem to have an unhealthy predisposition towards creating at least one really snarky cast member. Other than that, I can't really think of any obvious pattern, aside from my protagonists pretty roundly being outcasts or otherwise existing outside normal society somehow, which is pretty common and more a function of the plots I tend to write than the characters I prefer, I think. Horribly messed-up characters going through hell (being put through hell by me, the author, that is) are the most fun to write, of course, whatever their actual personalities or specific issues. I guess I really enjoy all kinds of characters, though on any given day or in any particular scene I may enjoy writing one or another especially.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast