Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Yay, JX is back! Good to see that the WoJ is finally up in the OP.

What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times?

Let me see here. I posted Sparking Snowflakes in Janurary and haven't updated it still, and it's June. I'm really horrible with updating times, but once I get that chapter out I'm aiming for a bi-monthly release of each chap for my fics. I know it's sort of a long wait but I get procrastination hard, though due ot the summer it may be more of likey bi-weekly or even weekly. Just need a computer that doesn't have games on it that's able to write stablely.

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

What kinds of writing projects have you done (outside of short/chaptered stories in prose)?

Several people and I at another Pokemon forum did an online fan magazine and I wrote/edited some articles. bobandbill actually has the link to the fan magazine in his signature, haha. Also later on I'll be working with a few others on a Homestuck RPG maker game and I think I'll be writing out the dialogue and directions (two or three will be working on the programming side of the game while some of us will be doing writing/art/brainstroming).

What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times?

Usually I'm able to to release a chapter bi-weekly or monthly. I think the longest though is over three months for a non-Pokemon fic.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    ...!
    Sorry for going Trainer Red on ya there, but it's JX again! Yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Requiem View Post
    Yay, JX is back! Good to see that the WoJ is finally up in the OP.
    Ahhahaha let's see how long this lasts before I get brained by real life again!

Also!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka
    And I caught that Portal reference, don't think you can't sneak that by me
    *whistles innocently*

And now for some topic responses! Because it's been forever since I exercised blatant egotism!

Uh, people are still waiting for the next chapter of AEM after the last one was posted in August of ... last year. Oops.

It's sort of hard to say about my normal release times. When I started AEM, I could put out a chapter a week (even when I was generating new content), but because of RL shenanigans, it steadily grew to be once a month. I'd like to get back onto a weekly/biweekly schedule, but it really depends on whether or not RL prospects pan out for me soon. In short, it's unusual for me to fail at posting for almost a year, and I actually feel a bit bad about that.

BUT FUNNY STORY ABOUT THAT, ACTUALLY. I started a rewrite, but I'm going back and forth about whether or not I want to edit it into the current thread, start a new thread, or hold off on posting it and just continue on the story as-is. On the positive side, I think I like the prologue a bit better (because it's not as pretentious), and once I rework a conversation in the new first chapter, Bill's introduction (and Nettle's list of reasons for hating him) end up a bit smoother. Buuut this is just rambling outside of where I should be doing it. Tl;dr, might be using some of you as guinea pigs for the new story. Not to mention there will be a non-chapter post in AEM's thread shortly, AND I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THE FACT THAT IT'S NOT A CHAPTER.

What kinds of writing projects have you done (outside of short/chaptered stories in prose)?
    I used to write a metric ton of poetry back in the day, and I've been experimenting with scripts and alternate forms of storytelling (e.g., abusing blogs to put together storylines) for some time now. Funny you should mention this, actually, because on a separate forum (same place Bay was talking about, actually!), I started a kind of CYOA horror survival game that I was considering migrating to Tumblr (because of its ask system). The gist of it would be people would send in asks as commands, and the responses would be new pieces of the story. So a text game in a way but a hell of a lot slower. I'll let you folks know whether or not I actually do it, although I'm really, really tempted because I'm bored.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Why, hello, Jax! Nice to see you back here! And also nice to see the WoJ finally become an offical part of the Mafia.

Except I wasn't laughing. Under the circumstances, I've been shockingly nice. Bru's not the only Portal fanboy on here. XD

Eh... Not much, actually. Granted I only have been writing fiction for about a year and a half now, so I haven't had much time to expand to other projects as of yet.

The longest wait time ... would have to be four months from January to May in which I had a bit of a writing drought for my main story. Hopefully, that'll never happen again, as my normal wait times are about one month in between chapters.

Knightfall signing off...

I tend to stick to novel length fiction, with the occasional dalliance in short stories for classwork/contests/lit magazines. That said, I've written scripts for some one act plays in the past year as well. One even netted me some money when I submitted it, so that was good. I've also recently done a collab project with a friend of mine, writing a traditional-seeming bard song using melodies common in the Dark Ages. I wrote the verses and he composed the tune.

I update my stories on Fridays. Every Friday. Occasionally take a week off to build my buffer back up if productivity is slow, and since I work on two novel length projects at once to keep myself occupied, I'll sometime put a story on hiatus for a month or so to focus on the other piece I'm working on. This tends to happen when I'm nearing the climax of a piece and I don't want to interrupt my momentum or rhythm. But, more often than not, my work is updated every Friday consistently.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

This post was approved by both Jax and Brutaka. If you feel like you need to double check, you can ask them both. Message was Co-Written by users Lost Requiem and Knightfall.

Anyways, welcome all. We are from the Writers of Justice. This has been a few months in the works, and we are excited to finally present you with our little project. Well, what is this project? We’re sure that is what you’re asking yourself right now.

Well, we’d like to present to you the WoJ Tutoring Program! This program aims to help the writers of Serebii, Google+, and the WoJ who are struggling with certain areas in there writing. It is also a program for veterans to help teach newer writers or get into a new genre of writing they’ve always wanted to get into, but was never good at it. Our goal is to see improvement in those who enlist in our services of a period of a few weeks time. We don’t expect you to be a master of writing when you finish the program, but we expect you to have a steady foot in the world of writing.

Several authors, most of which have an account on Serebii, have decided to offer their time and dedication to help those who are in need of our services. To be specific, here are the services we provide: Plot, Characterization, Description, Grammar, Pacing, and Genres. We can cover from the basics to some of the more advanced things. Now I’d like to present the current list of tutors who are offering there services:

Knightfall: Plot, Description, and the PMD Genre
    Kutie Pie / lilbird: Characterization, Description, Grammar, and Romance Genre
    Deadly: Spelling and Grammar/Editing, Description, SciFi and Most Modern Genres
    Beirut: Characterization, Description, Crime/Suspense/Horror Genres, and pacing
    Lost™ - Description/Characterization/Plot/Romance Genre

These tutors are here to help you advance along the way of your writing career, or give you a refresher or help in a certain area. Our tutors’ offer most of the same services, but have varying styles of teaching and each one will provide you with a different experience.

Now that I’ve explained what we do, let’s get a little more in depth in how the tutoring will go. We are following a simple three step program with out one on one tutoring. Yes, we’re going to be offering two types of tutoring, but more on that later. The simple three step guide is:

1: Explanations

2: Exercises

3: One-Shot

First of all we’re going to go over the basic components of what you need help with on tutoring, with as much knowledge as we know on the suspect. We’re not certified teachers, so I’m sure we won’t know everything on it, but we will help you to the best of our ability, such as what tutors due. After we feel like you’ve gotten down the basics, we’ll start giving basic exercises, which will get harder and more complex as the sessions go on. Once we feel you’ve learned everything we can teach you with the exercises, we will have you write a one-shot with the knowledge you have learned. These will be held on Google docs, so it is advised for you to have access to docs.

Now, for the other type of tutoring, group tutoring. This is more of a lecture typed tutoring held by one or two of the tutors giving a basic lesson to everyone else. These will be held usually over a Google Hangout or another type of chat device. Once the lesson if over, those who attended the meeting can ask the tutor/s questions they have, and the tutor/s will try their best to answer this. Since this is normally going to be verbally, it is suggested to take notes.

Note: If you suspect anyone is trying to get personal information out of you, please contact us and we will handle them, if problems persist we will ask forum staff to help us. These calls are designed for learning purposes, that’s it.

Lastly are the days and times we will be hosting tutoring. On Wednesdays we will mostly be doing group tutoring from 3:30 PST to 4:30 PST, and one on one tutoring will typically be held on Saturdays between 10:00 A.M to 8:00 P.M on Saturdays, with sessions lasting at least an hour’s time between those hours. If you can’t make any of those days, please contact your tutor and try and work out a time period and a date that will both work for you.

Now we got everything explained, if you want to join just simply PM me, Lost™, or my co-leader Knightfall with your username and what you need help with, and we’ll be sure to add you to the master list. If you want to be a tutor, please send both Knightfall and I it via PM or give us the link to the Google Doc, if you typed it in there, and also PM us with any questions you have as well. We hope that the program is a success and that everyone who participates has a lovely experience.

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

I have stories that hasn't been update since 2010 and last year and do have people waiting and asking me when I update. My orginal release time, when I was a crappy writer, almost every last day of the school week.

What shouldn't be in Fanfic in your own personal experenice?

Text speak, Script format, overused things like memes (You know like Over 9000, etc)

What was the worst OC like character(s) you made and how did it worsen canon characters?

Sigh, I really wasn't thinking barely at all. I made this OC names Elize and she had a Nobody (For those who know KH) Lexiza and she was, well, I can't believe I made a sue somewhat. Her Somebody was a *****, the true defination of one, and I was bad so I made her too. Then her nobody Lexiza, she was worse too. I had her bed Sora, give birth to a girl, and Kairi, before I was developing crazed, ruinned her too. I really want to refine Elize/Lexiza and Kai one of these days.

What's your style of writing action/fights sences

Well the most important thing is to remember that you are writing a story, not script. It's important to make them lengthy, it shows the effort in the story even if the battle is the highlight of the story. It can't just be "X did this and that', it needs detail of what the attack is, what it does, how it effects the surrounds, at that. And never rush the fight unless it's fast pace and still well detailed. And to ake the sroty interesting, keep everyone in the same 'level', we don't need Gary Stu/Mary Sue Characters. And if they learn a new attack, explain it.

JAX YOU RETURNED *smushes* The Mafia is saved!

And that's awesome now that WoJ has gotten recognition on the first post! Hopefully we'll get new members, though of course, that will mean the Hangout may have to be limited to various people at a time. Seriously, that place is a bitch with the Internet I have. I seriously can't do anything while I'm on the Hangout without fear of it crashing. That includes writing. The chat on Knightfall's document worked fine anyway, we need to return to that.

Anyway, now that I've stopped complaining... what's the newest question?

*stares*

*looks at signature*

*music plays*

*slow mad laugh, steadily getting louder and harder as music continues*

I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY--*passes out*
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

(This is FlareLover17 with a name change by the way. Just a heads up so you guys don't think i'm just some random user.)

What kinds of writing projects have you done (outside of short/chaptered stories in prose)? - I sometimes write poetry when my emotions feel up to it. I write haikus and lyrical poetry mostly, when it comes down to specifics. I quite enjoy writing poetry and reading it too, since you actually have to dig down and think about the moral of what the author is trying to tell you.

What's the longest you've ever had your audience wait for a new chapter? How does that compare to your normal release times? - The longest for me was probably a month; my computer had a virus so I couldn't get down to typing. My chapters usually take a week since I have a lot of free time to write, and that I truly enjoy the story I'm writing about.

Plucking the new questions from Hero of Ideals.

What shouldn't be in Fanfic in your own personal experience?
    Random humor. A forced joke or humor that suddenly came out of nowhere tends to kill my reading experience easily.

What was the worst OC like character(s) you made and how did it worsen canon characters?
    Don't think I had a OC character that worsens a canon character to be honest. I made a few OC characters that don't have the best character development but that was back when I was writing original fiction.

What's your style of writing action/fights scenes
    That's what I'm trying to figure out with a WIP story right now, lol. When I did Pokemon battles I try to have the action fast pace and attacks detailed when needed.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

Like Bay said, random humor, but I'll add onto it inside jokes that only the writer and maybe one or two other people will get. Remember that when stories are posted online, they're for a global audience, whether or not the entire world is reading it or not. Hero of Ideals, I've got to disagree with you in that script format and textspeak could work in a fic, but only if correctly implemented. There was a topic in the Author's Cafe a while back about using script format, and I hold the opinion that if a writer is using script format with a thought to dramatic rhythm, i.e. something that could conceivably be a play and written to be performed as a play even if it never will be, that's fine. If someone is just writing in script format because they want to infodump a bunch of description in the stage directions and only write dialogue and action, then I've got an issue with that, but not the one we're talking about.

Likewise, textspeak and the use of texting is simply a part of our modern vernacular and way of life. If we consider the pokemon world in roughly the same timeframe as our own, trainers using their Xtransceivers to send texts to each other isn't so farfetched, and could fit well into a story.

One of the things I've worked on is capturing the chaos of battle and action, while also portraying it in a way the reader can understand. Structured pokemon battles do tend to have a bit of a turn based nature to them, even if they are chaotic, much like hand to hand combat has give and take. So when I write an action scene, I want to know what actions I am portraying, and have a solid grasp of them in my mind. Then, I want to make sure the pace is fitting. If a character is hurriedly racing across a battlefield, the story around them must also seem fastpaced. The thing is, I think it's a folly to approach action scenes any different than you would approach any other kind of scene. There are certain techniques and methods one must use when writing a dialogue-heavy bit, or a traveling sequence. Action has a different set of techniques, and so long as those are adhered to, then there really is no wrong way to go about it.

That being said, I do try not to have too much dialogue in action scenes. Not only does it interrupt the flow of things, it also doesn't make sense to have anything but one or two lines being said as two combatants are locked in battle. It doesn't make sense for them to be exchanging banter when they're fighting for their lives. However, in Hero's Path, there were occasions when I would have a pokemon battle, and while the two pokemon fought physically, the two trainers would have a debate about morality, theology or philosophy, basically whatever it was that sparked the battle between them.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Noted, Toxic Nightshade! I'll update the member's list when I've got a bit more time.

In the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View Post
    Random humor. A forced joke or humor that suddenly came out of nowhere tends to kill my reading experience easily.
    THANK YOU.

I could write an entire rant about this, but that's tedious and something I already did elsewhere. So I'll just say that you really do have to be aware of your audience when writing humor—or anything at all, really. The reason why random humor doesn't work is because you're depending on your audience to get your sense of humor; you're not telling a joke that appeals to the audience's sense of humor (which is what comedy is supposed to do). So if I may be as blunt as possible, I find random humor incredibly self-centered and amateurish because of how much it expects its readers to laugh at what the author finds funny.

That's really what a lot of my response to this particular question centers on. Like Firebrand said, when you're writing for public consumption, you're writing for public consumption. As such, you've got to be aware that the things you do in your story also have to appeal to your audience; they're not just something for you. On that note, I also don't find pretentiousness in fic (where characters break down into philosophical speech, references to high-brow culture, or excerpts from the advanced portions of the dictionary) all that appropriate unless it's supposed to say something about that particular character. (And if the narrator's doing it, it should only be done if we're supposed to acknowledge that the narrator is a pretentious twit.) The reason why I say this is because if you're spewing "intellectualism" throughout your writing just to make you look smart, the whole shebang ends up looking like it's nothing but a testament to how smart you think you are while revealing that you don't actually know what a smart person sounds like. (Hint: Not all intelligent people philosophize about art and politics without being prompted to do so.) It tends to be obnoxious is what I'm saying. Now, if it was appropriate for the character in that they're supposed to sound ridiculously pretentious, then that's okay. Alternatively, if you can find a way to bring in your references without making it obvious that you're just using those references to make you/a character/the narrator look smart, then that's okay too. It's really just if you use those intellectual bits to make your characters look intellectual that tends to bother me.

Also, links to outside media smack in the middle of your work. Can you not? I'm okay with images that are actually embedded in your post. I'm not so okay with honking links smack between paragraphs that say, "GO HERE TO LISTEN TO SOME UNRELATED TRACK." No. Stop.

(Thankfully, that trend's died down, but there's still a few stragglers who are hanging on to 2010 apparently.)

Answer to the first question: I used to write Mary Sues. Like, of the old-fashioned definition of Mary Sues.

Answer to the second question: I used to write Mary Sues.

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT ALL THE REASONS WHY I WRITE BILL AS A BARELY SEXUAL CHARACTER THESE DAYS.

The absolute most important thing to keep in mind when writing fight scenes, in my opinion, is that they're all cause-and-effect situations. One action has God knows how many different consequences. If a character tries to throw a fireball at another character, I need to know not only whether or not that fireball will hit but also what level of burn it will inflict, whether or not it will set the target's clothing/body on fire, and if half the room is particularly flammable. Granted, I don't recommend writing (nor do I actually write) every single effect of every single move my characters make in battle, but I do find that it's a hell of a lot easier to write a battle scene if I remain insanely conscious of what each move will do. It also allows me to pick and choose what details go into my battles (because I end up with a whole library of possibilities) while maintaining the pace of the fight as a whole (because I'm conscious of how long action scenes are taking and can manipulate paths to figure out which one will end in the result that I want). Not to mention, of course, it helps me be creative with my battles because I'm always thinking of how each move can be used differently, whether or not the characters actually anticipated the consequences they bring about.

Tl;dr, I write every battle as a string of causes with their own effects. It helps me describe moves a bit better while giving me full control over what happens in the battle.

Side note, but about the banter, it depends on who's engaging in it and what the circumstances are. Sometimes, taunts can be effective psychological warfare in a fistfight, and sometimes, you may need to hammer out details of a plan on the fly with someone on your side. If you're engaged in a fast-paced exchange of blows, sure, you're focused on what you're doing, but I wouldn't say there's absolutely no situation where you can't slip in a line or few. It's true that you're employing different techniques to write an action scene than any other scene, but that really is true for writing any scene in general. (A comedic scene is different than a dramatic scene, for another example.) The key to writing any scene is remembering that even in the same genre, not all situations are going to be the same. Focus on the situation and what it needs, not so much the genre.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

I find random humor incredibly self-centered and amateurish because of how much it expects its readers to laugh at what the author finds funny.
    That does explain most stories I find. Most just throw memes and gags around that usually would ruin a character. Nothing that adds humor to the flow of the story, it's just there. So like having a random spin the bottle or Turth or Dare smack dab in a story where character just came back from a time skip or my 'favorite' having a character just walk in on someone about to have sex and comically react to it?

(I kid you not, a writer, his first two stories, did that)

That's really what a lot of my response to this particular question centers on. Like Firebrand said, when you're writing for public consumption, you're writing for public consumption. As such, you've got to be aware that the things you do in your story also have to appeal to your audience; they're not just something for you. On that note, I also don't find pretentiousness in fic (where characters break down into philosophical speech, references to high-brow culture, or excerpts from the advanced portions of the dictionary) all that appropriate unless it's supposed to say something about that particular character.
    So it's important to write for the fans, not for you. No matter if you like or dislike something, the fans want a story.

What can make a story lifeless and Souless?

Me and my Dramatic Reading group see this alot, but from what we seen, the chooses made to the story didn't really have a lasting effoft on the story. The Potental was there, but it fell flat. someone tries to change the stories of canon, but then it's not the best either. Most of the time it's wish fullfillment or the writer trying to better than the canon itself. You know, they harte what the actual series and tries to write a better version that 'makes sense'. I ticks me off in reviews when they treat it in high regards because they don't like how characters are 'downgraded' or 'trolled'. 6 retellings and I have to force myself to make the characters better so people will like it. But I have to for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    So it's important to write for the fans, not for you. No matter if you like or dislike something, the fans want a story.
    Well, I'd say it's more that you shouldn't write just for you. You should still write for you. It's just that you just need to keep in mind that not everything for you is something that everyone else is going to like. As crude as it is, think of it like making adult media. If you write a smut piece that appeals to your own interests, then it's hard to say who is and isn't going to like it because everything in that smut fic is designed to appeal to you. (Or to put it more bluntly, if you write smut fic that's for you and you alone, the only one who's going to get off is you.) This, incidentally, is why there's a lot of questionable and hilariously terrible smut on the web. It's not because smut fic is a terrible genre. It's because so many smut writers write for the purpose of—ahem—their own enjoyment. So quality and sensibility aren't key issues because so long as they're enjoying themselves, why would it matter? That's unfortunately the mindset that can be a massive mood-killer for someone who's actually looking for a good story. So what would a good smut fic be? Something that appeals to everyone who has the same kink as you. And to appeal to your audience, you need to tone things down a little and, well, proofread. But the point is that you're still writing for you. It's still your kink, and on a level, that smut fic is still designed with your enjoyment in mind too. It's just that you should also be conscious of other people, and being conscious of other people means you'll have to make sacrifices. If you're into bondage, you can't write a fic about Erika using a Tangrowth inappropriately and expect someone else to enjoy it, but you can certainly write a fic about Erika tying up Sabrina using perfectly ordinary rope (provided you also make sure the fic's quality doesn't plummet somewhere along the way). That's also probably a bad example because I don't read that much bondage fic and don't know whether or not people would care if Erika was using a Tangrowth, but hopefully you get the picture anyway.

So the tl;dr of it is I think you should write for both you and your audience, and it's extremely important to keep in mind that you need that balance between the two groups you're writing for. If you write purely for your audience, writing might turn into a chore for you, but if you write purely for you, then you run at a risk of accidentally alienating your audience.

What can make a story lifeless and Souless?
    See above.

That and a lot of it has to do with your characters as well, I'd imagine. Characters are what gives a story its soul. Even if you're writing a series of episodic chapters that are threaded together by some common theme, the bones of your fic are really who your story is about. So if you write flat, lifeless characters following a storyline you basically lifted from whatever's trending at the moment, you're going to end up with a boring and lifeless story. You could, meanwhile, write a trainer fic with a lot of the same or similar elements as another trainer fic, and it might actually be interesting if the characters themselves are developed enough to make it seem like you're not reading the same fic all over again, if that makes sense. (Of course, it won't exactly be as good as a story with good characters and a well-written, independently developed plot, but at least some people would have fun reading your fic if the characters were decently developed.)

Actually, scratch part of that. There is a way to mess up a plot and have that kill the soul of your story, and that's doing what I said earlier: trying to write a heady, "deep" plot (or even exciting one) instead of just a story, all to prove that you're an awesome writer. If you're really that good of a writer, you wouldn't need to focus on making your story awesome. It would just be awesome. However, sometimes, fics are like some kind of inverse proportion: the more you try to write an exciting or intellectual or deep or what-have-you piece, the less so it actually is. That's probably because you spend so much time focusing on making it be that thing you want it to be that you take your eye off the ball and forget that you're actually supposed to be telling a story with actual developed characters (as opposed to some kind of mouthpiece for your thoughts). Granted, some professional authors (the more well-known ones, namely) can focus on writing something deep and exciting and actually come up with something deep and exciting, but think about how many famous authors there are out there. That's the number of people who can actually do that.

Current Writing Pairs of June 28/29, 2013
    Knightfall/Pokenutter
    Azurus/Brutaka
    JX Valentine/Agent Tectonic
    Kukansis/Wyrm
    Lost Requiem/Kutie Pie
    Blaziken10285/Superdaikenki
    Beirut/Meeker
    Shadow Lucario (SL)/DiamondPearl876
    SerenadeSP/Crazied
    Shadow Lucario 50/Nixill

Absent Authors:
    ChaosCaptain
    Sid87
    Deadly.Braviary

Missing Authors
    Quilava42
    Silentmemento
    DarkScarecrow
    Colt45
    Visharp
    Gothic Gothorita
    Sidewinder

Is rewriting an ongoing fic before it's done a good idea or a bad one?

While on the one hand, it delays newer chapters. On the other, it may get new people more interested in your fic if the opening of it is much better. Not only that, but it's probably a good way to get back into your fic if you lost your drive.
    Last edited by Brutaka; 25th June 2013 at 8:47 PM.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Well, considering I just undertook such a task with my prologue and am planning one of the first chapter, I'd say it's a good idea. But, I'd only consider doing it if you are certain that your skills have advanced enough for a rewrite to be worth the effort. It's a grueling task, honestly, but well worth it to finally see the chapter how you originally envisioned it. For me personally, I got to add a ton of character, world development, and action that was absent in the previous version.

So. I haven't posted here in like ever, so I thought I should be a bit more active.

There is no wrong done in going back and correcting something you've already done. While many of your readers may no longer go back and look on it, who's to say that someone in the distant future may decide to read over your work. For me, as long as it hasn't been moved to completion, any attempt to further revise any chapter is time well spent. It shows that you take a large stake and pride in your work, and you're still ready and willing to go back and fix areas that you think could easily be improved.
    credits for pic and banner: Avenger Angel and Brutaka

I have claimed Sceptile

Destiny's Forge: click sig.
    ARD: UNDER REVISIONAL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Also read Essense of Law.

And the first post has finally been updated!

As for the question of the day/week/what-have-you...

Personally, I think if an author is unsatisfied with their story, they have every right to go back and fix it to their liking. It also depends a little on a lot of key factors about your story and your rewrite. For example, if you're rebooting the entire thread (read: starting a new one), you can totally do that if you want to. If you're editing in your new chapters, that's going to be tricky business, especially if you've got a lot of readers and a long thread. For example, your rewrite might take up more posts than you actually have (e.g., it was one post in the original version but then broke the character limit and requires two posts), or you'll be thirty chapters in and not have anyone be willing to go back and read. The latter case is a particularly serious risk especially if your readers have been waiting for a new installment for some time.

On the other hand, if you're offering up a better story and basically new content, that could definitely reel in new readers, especially if you're starting up a new thread for it. It also has the added benefit of showing older readers that, yes, you've taken their comments into consideration if they had criticisms about the issues you're addressing via the rewrite. Plus, generally speaking, you do a rewrite when you're that unsatisfied with the current state of your fic, and honestly? That's really the important part of things. The way I see it, you shouldn't force yourself to write a story you just don't want to write (because fanfiction isn't your job or anything), but if you really want to write the idea but not continue the story, by all means, you should do whatever you can to reignite your passion for the work you're trying to complete.

Of course, either way is pretty valid. If you're the kind of person who absolutely does not want to stop production on your work until it's done, plot holes and weak characterization be damned, then it's okay to view a rewrite as a bad thing for your personal story. (Of course, you'll want to fix up things like problematic/racist/sexist issues and grammar malfunctions, but generally speaking, if you're a metaphorical train who's trying to get to the end of the story, keep on running the equally metaphorical rails. Please note that this still doesn't excuse you from any concrit you receive as a result of known issues, however. So the downside of this mindset is that you have to take crit on work that isn't the best reflection of your writing skills, and you have to do that politely.) It's just not a bad thing for everyone.

On that note, I'm actually tempted to issue a challenge based on this question. Would anyone be interested in a minor contest in August or so?

I'm alive. I had to change my email so that it would separate from my brother's. I have my own gmail now. Next week, I'll notify who my partner is of my new email. Now onto the question.

I say it comes down to whatever you feel is right. If there are a lot of holes that can be easily covered then go ahead and rewrite it. If you feel there is no need to then you should leave it be. There are always areas that can be improved on and the decision to either rewrite during or after the fic is done comes down to the author. I've seen many fics rewritten halfway through with the original left to die somewhere.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Like others said, if you want to revise your story because you feel you wanted to better yourself, then revise it. Most of my recent work was missing stuff and I wanted to batter it and get more followers so show I put effort in my work and want to bring in new followers.

The Writing Pairs have been updated to include Shadow Lucario. So if your names are Beirut, Meeker, Shadow Lucario, or DiamondPearl876, you should check the pairings as they have changed for you.

Hey guys, been swamped by school, but now that that's done I can get back to writing some fics.

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    And the first post has finally been updated!On that note, I'm actually tempted to issue a challenge based on this question. Would anyone be interested in a minor contest in August or so?
    I guess. I could use any sort of motivation to get myself further immersed in writing.
    credits for pic and banner: Avenger Angel and Brutaka

I have claimed Sceptile

Destiny's Forge: click sig.
    ARD: UNDER REVISIONAL HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Also read Essense of Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Tectonic View Post
    I guess. I could use any sort of motivation to get myself further immersed in writing.
    I have to second that thought. I would like to see what kind of contest it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    On that note, I'm actually tempted to issue a challenge based on this question. Would anyone be interested in a minor contest in August or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Tectonic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightfall View Post
    I have to second that thought. I would like to see what kind of contest it would be.
    Indeed. If it's having to do with the topic and that topic being rewrites, I think I'd be most interested.

Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast