Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Matori View Post
    Also, I feel your pain- back in high school, when I started ficcing, I didn't have internet access at home so my best friend was my trusty floppy disc and sneaking onto school computers to post it during newspaper (when I should have been doing.. newspaper things) or after school in the library if the tech lady wasn't watching. Either that or I'd go to the public library and pray the computer didn't eat my disc. The things we do for our art.

I also lacked a real computer so so many of my periods when I was allegedly "taking notes" I usually spent that time hand-writing fanfiction on looseleaf lined paper, then transcribed it as soon as I got home. It did more for my typing speed and skills than any computer class EVER did.
    I used to write down chapters on pieces of paper, and then get on the family computer to re-type it all into the reply box when I first started out. Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't get carpal tunnel from it (I would eventually learn how to type normally in a typing class in eighth grade and thus the end of my beautiful penmanship). Mom then would show me the beauties of copying and pasting. She would then give me my own flash drive.

While I had a desktop computer, when I had just about entered high school (or actually, I think I was still finishing junior high), I eventually received a hand-me-down Dell laptop that I always had to keep plugged in because it only had one battery. I wrote a lot on that laptop for about two years. However, I was an idiot who didn't know how memory worked on computers, so once I used up the memory, I couldn't open my stories and transfer them to a flash drive (for some reason), and I lost a lot of them on that laptop. I would eventually get a new one from my late-grandfather that Christmas, and I started from scratch.

Though to be honest, I think it was for the best that laptop's memory was used up, many of the stories were pretty crappy. And it was then I started realizing I might've been getting into erotic fan-fiction o_O. All because I ended up reading my mother's/grandmother's collected romance/almost-Harlequin romance novels that I got out one boring summer. Why Mom never stopped me is a mystery. (But at least it and all of those fan fics I would run into would eventually lead me to writing Forsaken out of disappointment of the romance genre. That's something for another time.)
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I see this club finally! Time to be more active this time around then!

Why you like fanfic/writing:

Let's see here, I just love to write in general as it just allows me to express me feelings in ways that aren't possible. I like imagining things, how different turns could have been taken, what could have happened, all of those little unopened doors that they left untouched could be opened and you can write in your own story. I just love how everything you want can be written down in a novel, how emotions that aren't easily expressed can easily be set loose. It is a wave, it will sweep over your mind until it's dry, and you need to move on. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but the virtues of writing just has a way to release. Ideas will come and go, just as life, and that's the beauty of it. If someone has writer's block, it's because they need a new change of pace, or scenery, or a new idea. Once you have that urge to write, it will never be let go... You will just bury it inside of you until it breaks free. That is why I love writing and fanfiction, to express your words and emotions, and to tell the tales of paths untold.

Okay, sorry for the long rant-like application.

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

Think I finally do have carpal tunnel now, haha, though fanfic isn't entirely to blame for that. I'm fixin' to make my living working with the internet, so... :P

But yeah, trying to write and post fanfic back in the days of floppy disks and limited internet access (and apparently crappy computers for more than one of us) was always awesome. I actually still have a bunch of my old floppies—in fact, sometime in '11 I tried to recover some stuff from them and move it to a flash drive. It only sort of worked—a combination of hahahaha floppy disks and the fact that most of the stuff was written on I don't even know what rudimentary word processor on a Win3.1 PC meant that much of it was corrupted and filled with garbage when I finally managed to open and/or copy it. I saved some, partially saved others and may have accidentally borked one floppy beyond repair (though thankfully there was nothing super important on it as far as I can tell); I still have a lot of others I need to go through, haha. Which will be hilarious because good lord reading through the ones that aren't ruined is almost physically painful.
    Last edited by Phoenixsong; 14th February 2013 at 6:07 AM.
    Review requests currently on hold for contest judging + some other stuff. Sorry!

Holy man, finally! A new fanfiction club! \ouo/

Why you like fanfic/writing: Well, let's see. I'm involved in all sorts of fine art programs; as in, I play as instrument, I paint/draw, I write, and I'm in a lot of drama productions. Now, as much as drawing allows me to blow off some steam; writing is what really gets me going. I've been told by various English teachers that I have a gift of turning mundane/domestic situations into amazingly vivid stories told at various points of view. Anyhow, I first got into, well truly writing in about Grade 7 (Twelve years old.). However, I didn't begin writing fanfiction until around the 8th Grade (And I will never speak of these dark days). Once I hit Grade 9; I found my primary fandoms, as well as far more inspiration to write; and an English teacher who fully supported me and had a lot in common with me.

Now I'm in Grade 10, still moving strong in the writing universe. I'm finding it easier, and easier to write with every story. The stuff I write usually depends on what I'm listening to, or how I feel at the time... And that my friends, is why I adore writing with a fiery passion.

Also why does everyone hate Second person? I don't understand?

It's not so much that people hate second person itself, or rather it shouldn't be; it's just as valid a POV as any other. It's just that the nature of that viewpoint (to oversimplify, the fact that it implies that the reader is the main character) makes it difficult to use in a way most people find effective and appropriate. I'm a wee bit tired so rather than attempt to explain further I'll just link you to some posts in Advice for Aspiring Authors, in which Jax and I both touched on a few reasons why it's tricky and a few examples of where it might be best utilized. Someone else can probably weigh in on that as well.

Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done, though, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! If you feel like you have a story that's well-suited to it, there's no reason not to give it a shot.

EDIT: Ah, wait, haha, just realized that you were the person who asked that question in the first place. You've presumably already seen those posts, then! Sorry. :P Point still stands, though: most of the dislike of second person POV stems from the fact that it's rarely used well, even though that's a problem with the author's choice and execution rather than second person itself being inherently bad. If more authors took the time to consider whether a) second person is the best fit for their story and b) they're handling it effectively, there'd probably be fewer people insisting that it should be avoided outright.
    Last edited by Phoenixsong; 14th February 2013 at 7:50 AM.
    Review requests currently on hold for contest judging + some other stuff. Sorry!

I wasn't super active in the previous thread, but I'd like to join again.

The only fandom I've ever written a lot in is Pokemon. I wrote a ton back in the day, but I didn't post a lot of. What I did post was on other forums. They never got much attention, but it's probably for the best considering how poorly written they were. Still, what little criticism I did get helped me a lot. That, and the fact that I was writing almost constantly in the middle school to early high school days meant that I also learned to improve myself a little bit.

I used to be really into journey fics, and that was basically all I'd write. Now, I mostly stick to one-shots, for fear that I'll post yet another fic that won't get completed. (I've got a few plans, though. We'll see what happens.) I haven't posted anything in a while (coming up on a year now, I think), and I can't promise I'll be writing with more frequency any time soon. One can dream, though.

Now, onto these:

Why you like fanfic/writing?

I guess for me, the biggest reason I like writing is the chance to get my ideas down onto a page in completed form. I generally find myself daydreaming waaay more than actually writing, though, which is unfortunate. Still, when I do manage to write, I find it a whole lot of fun to see my ideas come to life. Realizing that a story has started piloting itself is one of the best feelings, and one of the things that makes writing so worthwhile.

Fess up, kitties. What was your first story about?

Like I said, Pokemon's really the only fandom I've written large amounts of work in. However, there was once one fandom that caught my attention long enough to inspire fan work, and that fandom was Dragon Ball/Z/GT. My plan was to rewrite the entire series, with my own changes added in. Basically, it was the first two episodes of Dragon Ball with characters randomly introduced earlier than canon and all comedy removed. I got about two chapters in before I forgot about it. It will probably never be seen by anyone again, unless I can find the old floppy disks I saved them on.

Now, I don't know if this was my very first story, but it was definitely one of the earliest that I can remember amounting to any significant amount of writing (if you can consider two bare-bones chapters "significant").

You know, I remember posting in a thread not too long ago, saying the forum had nothing to fear because Jax wasn't the mob boss. Now, I have to go back and eat my words. :|

Also, hi, my name is Azurne. I lurk, and I try to give helpful advice once in a blue moon. I can't finish a story to save my life, but I'd still like to join. I can provide arms and ammunition in the form of witty banter, as well as bullet-proof vests in the form of self-deprecating humor. Satisfaction not guaranteed, but there is a lifetime warranty.

Why you like fanfic/writing: To be honest, I'm not really sure anymore. When I was a kid, I would have told you because I liked reading a lot. When I was an angst-ridden preteen I would have told you because I can (translation: all the cool kids on the internet were doing it), and when I was a junior in high school I'd have said because I like exploring deep relationships with characters or something edgy and special snowflake-ish.

Today I'm going to say because I just do. It's something that comes naturally (though not as naturally as I'd like it to be), and I can't help it. I'm a chronic daydreamer, so coming up with hypothetical situations and characters happens on a daily basis, multiple times. Some days they may string together into a coherent story, some may just go poof in the night because they were simply idle 'that would be amusing' thoughts. I like to take things, twist them around and turn them on their heads, light the proverbial fire underneath their arse to see what they're made of. I'm something of a thrill-seeker, but instead of seeking dangerous thrills in real life, I like putting the thrills in written form. If a fandom or existing story doesn't pass my 'can you handle this' test, then they're perfectly ripe for some awesome re-writing.

So, I guess I'm kinda like a repairman for fandoms. The more I see how utterly broken an anime/game/book is, and how good it could have been, I either go into daydream mode or immediately start pulling up Word. *shrug*

NEVER. You will pry that floppy disk from my cold, dead hands.

COLD. DEAD. HANDS.

Oh, oh wait. First story? Not first fanfiction? Okay. I was in first grade, and it was about me saving a dolphin. That's all I remember. (Even my first original story was a self-insert, sob). But, apparently it was good enough to get me into some sort of hardcore writing competition at the state level. Then they gave me a pop-up book as a prize, which legitimately offended me. I figured they must have thought I couldn't read real books, because all the older kids got actual novels. But, the guy who gave me the pop-up book was really nice about it and was apparently the author, so I kept quiet to spare feelings. Still, I was a very passive-aggressive first grader that day.

But, yeah. Dolphins.

Been a while since I've been a part of the FF club. May as well.

If you don't know me, I'm Negrek and I've been writing fanfic for about nine years now. I like writing action-adventure kind of stories, often with elements of mystery, suspense, or the supernatural thrown in. Right now the chapterfic I'm posting is Salvage, a very experimental story I've been working on for around four years. It follows two deeply messed-up kids with superpowers and no real conception of how the world actually works who decide that they need to rescue Mew from Team Rocket, no matter how many international incidents they cause along the way. Despite the zany premise, it's much less on the wacky antics side and more on the horrifying and morally questionable one. I've had a huge amount of fun writing it, but it remains to be seen whether people will enjoy reading it as much.

Why do you like fanfic/writing?

I've always been a storyteller, and writing is the medium I'm best at working in. I feel restless and unhappy if I don't do at least a little writing on a regular basis; I tend to have too much stuff going on in my head if I don't channel it out into a story. I actually write quite a lot, but only a small amount of it is ever posted or otherwise displayed... something that I think I really ought to work on getting over.

I can't remember my first story; it was something or other scribbled (laboriously, since I'd only recently learned how to write) in some awful Lisa Frank notebook when I was probably six or seven or so. I came up with a few of those.

I wrote my first fanfic in second grade, for no real reason that I can remember except that we had some free time and I decided I was going to write an Animorphs novel. I got to about a page and a half in, which more or less covered the typical Animorphs opening with the whole "I can't tell you my full name" thing and also established that Ax was living in Jake's basement for some reason. I then received my first writing critique, from a friend who asserted that I didn't have to open it that way just because all the books did so and that it was boring, to which I responded that of course I had to open it that way, all the books do it, and also you're stupid. Then I lost interest in the story and didn't write more fanfiction until after a different friend introduced me to FFN in the eighth grade.

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    And I'm assuming cute aliens befriending humans, amirite? *shot!*
    Well, I wouldn't say that it's cute by any means. And it's far from friendly. But yeah, let's go with that so that I don't have to spoil anything.

We're all sadists here, unfortunately. *sage nod*
    Yeah. All of our characters could probably attest to that.

Although to be fair, your idea doesn't sound that bad, tbqh. In fact...
    Oh, it was bad. Trust me on this. I mean, the whole idea was about a six-month-old kitten traversing a distance so large that it would've been impossible under any logical circumstances. It would be a lot more fair to just call a pig a pig, no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

That sounds so metal.
    Not when the name is...Stonetail. There, I said it. You might have to order a hit now just because of that.

Oh, old shames. Things like this always sound like a good idea when you're young. They very rarely are, and that's what makes them hilarious in hindsight.
    Tell me about it. Fate, I was a total idiot as a teenager...

YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN HERE. 8D
    Glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matori
    Hi! (waves) One of these days I'll leave a review on Revenant, I've been reading it and loving it all so far.
    Hello~ -waves back- Thank you. I'm going to have to get started on some of your stories as well; I've read them, but I haven't reviewed them yet.

I can definitely agree with all of this. I love being able to play around with characters and letting them run wild in my stories. More often than not, I end up having them give the story a totally new course just by letting their personalities take over. I know a story I've written is a good one when I feel like it's not so much me writing the characters as the characters telling me their stories and trusting me to write them down.
    Totally agree. When characters and their actions are driving the plot, it's a beautiful sight to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixsong
    Brief interlude for a Redwall brofist.
    -brofist- It's truly amazing how Jacques got started as well. He never intended for those books to become famous; he just wrote them for children at a school for the blind. It was only after a friend showed a book to a publisher without telling Jacques that his career as a writer got started.
    Last edited by SilentMemento; 14th February 2013 at 11:22 AM.
    CURRENT STORY

A Time for Everything - Kalos has lived peacefully for far too long, following the ideals of the corrupt. It's time to change that... An AU of X/Y.

Oh, you totally can answer whenever you'd like. ;D FREE REIGN~!
    Haha, all right.

So, the first story I wrote was a handwritten original mystery story about the main character finding out about her sister's death. I remember having the sister's boyfriend as the murderer I think and also the female character having romantic feelings over the detective. Never got around to finishing it because yeah, it's bad. I actually still have the notebook with the story with me now and rereading some parts...oh wow, I wrote it in first person POV, whattt? XD

As for my first fanfic I posted, it's a Pokemon fic that's basically a Pokemonized version of Ernest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea back in 2006. Oh man ashamed of the many tense mistakes and awkward sentences. D: I did a rewrite, but then I decided to focus my improved writing skills on newer stories (because I tend to have too many ideas distracting me, lol).
    Last edited by Bay; 14th February 2013 at 9:09 AM.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

I guess I'm the only fourteen year old in this thread. XD

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

All hail kingpin Jax.

Why you like fanfic/writing: There are times when I'm better with putting words down in writing than when speaking. I love words, I love putting words together to express ideas, but I especially love using words to create stories, worlds and characters that other people can see and discover and love.

My first story was pretty much a mixture of Animorphs and an element of the Jimmy Neutron movie. All the characters were people I knew (read: other kids in my fifth-grade class) and I never wrote past the part where the main character turned into a tiger and almost ate her best friend. This was probably for the best.

Also *adds to Redwall brofist* Those were some of my favoruite books growing up, and his description and settings and characters always enchanted me. His death was really saddening.

Aaaaand now to get back to proofreading for the magazines in Israel where I had been interning and said I'd continue to edit for. :x

~Psychic

Why you like fanfic/writing: I've loved writing and have been writing stories and fan fiction when I was at a young age, even before I knew what fan fiction was. I thought that writing was a great escape and I find it relaxing and therapeutic. It helps keep me sane. I've written for a lot of fandoms but Ace Attorney and Pokemon are my main ones. The fics that I'm most proud of are The Other King (Historical Romance) and Carry On, Blissey (Medical Drama).

I love reading in general and I don't really have much of a favourite genre, but I love reading fics about Iris as well as historical AUs. The first fic I ever wrote was when I was very young. It was a Super Smash Bros. play and I can't remember anything about it other than there was this big pub where all the villains go to. I remember it was set in a place I made up called Jetiendo. My most recent fan fic is a lot different though: it was a contest entry for a forum. We had to write a one shot based on a picture and the image was a cup of tea. I ended up writing a one shot about a goblin that lives in a giant tea pot.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Why you like fanfic/writing: It's simply a great way of doing whatever you want to stories you want to tinker with, at least writing them, anyway (personally I'm much more in favor of writing than reading). It's awesome to take a game like Pokemon and then creating situations that would absolutely never happen in the real series, or maybe they're so good you'd be disappointed if they didn't. Things like that I want to make and want to see in return.
    Okay, now what I write or want to write....
    Well, FanFiction profile's in my sig if you want it. So far I just have one story, my own Pokemon game, basically. I started working on it in 2011 but got writer's block, and then X&Y got me back into it and I'm having a lot of fun. Soon I'll be uploading a Kingdom Hearts fic inspired by Breaking Bad, if anyone here is interested in that. It'll be a rather dark story, something I personally like in writing.

Very first FanFiction ever was written when I was 10, and it was a parody of Kingdom Hearts. It was pretty random and stupid, given the fact that I was 10. I may even try writing it again...

But uh, yeah, hey.
    Haven't been on here since X&Y came out.
    The opposing Metagross used Giga Impact!

Oh, we're a mafia now? Well all right... *snickers while plotting* I'll be around.

Who am I kidding? I'm too nice for a mafia!

Why you like fanfic/writing: I write because it's a productive habit that I have way too much fun with. I love picking apart ideas, finding out about details and the big picture, then putting them together into something that entertains me. And if it entertains other people too, well that's just peachy.

I like fanfics because they're great practice and have the potential for a little more immediate interaction between the readers and writers. Although admittingly, I haven't found much time to be reading them lately. Another reason that I really like fanfiction is that it gives me a good outlet for experimenting, either with ideas, or forms, or styles. A good deal of the fanfics I put out are experiments and tests one way or another. The results I get from that I use to fine tune my original work.

Meow?

*ggigles* Oh dear, well my first story was way back when I was in sixth grade. I was in a special ed class for poor coordination, espeically hand-eye, so my teacher had me write things. The first full story I came up with was about a princess who's on the run (no reason stated) who comes across a unicorn. The unicorn offers to fly her to the moon (no reason stated) where they encounter a giant. The unicorn wins by growing more giant and squashing the giant (no kidding). Then the princess finds moon treasure and they live happily ever after, the end in less than ten paragraphs. It won an award for middle school writers, probably because my special ed teacher used editing and typing it as parts of my lessons.

The first fanfic I wrote and posted didn't come until years later, after I graduated college and was passing time with mediocre jobs. I was into the webcomic Bob and George at the time, so I wrote a crackfic for Mega Man X where I turned X crazy-evil and Zero into a confused rock star. But it turned serious, which is a curse that remains with me. I just can't write straight crack! I always find something interesting to take serious no matter how silly or ridiculous the initial idea is. But I've learned to accept that, as you might tell from ClicheStorm; part of the reason that it's funny is because I seriously consider the cliches I put into it, including how the cliches work and why. But it is fun.

Oh, can I have a deadline? Sort of, as it's pretty distant. For Pokedex One-Shots, I want to be able to complete the other five regions before the English version of the sixth gen Pokedex is available. Not that I want to rush myself and throw in something low quality (comparatively) for the sake of numbers, but that is my current goal.
    Pokedex OS- Still trying to capture every single Pokemon out there in words: 648/718 Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh complete!

Fluer Noir- A story of a black flower, a shameful history, and magic.

Adding all the new members!

Aaaaaaand I still envy your talent. :< Because damn, for a first fic, that's not bad at all!

Maybe the fact that you can't read the first eighteen chapters is a cue to do a reboot? 8D
    Guh-whaaaaaaaa?! You read that? Heh, I'm flattered. Ironically it was in its prime when the chapters were all lolteenageangst, and those are the chapters that I can't stand now.

I did consider rebooting it at some point. I feel like it would have to be a total overhaul though since there's so much that I'd want to change and it's just so time consuming doing both a run-of-the-mill badge-collecting plot and then there was that thing with the relics and with Team Magma and Aqua and oi. I would like to do something Pokemony again though, since this isn't really the right area for my Digimon stories and it would be nice to be relevant again . =P
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 22 is up.

Hey, I need advice from you fellow crew members. What do you do if your plot becomes boring overall in the first few chapters? Do you refine the story, leave it as it is or redo the story? Or if your writing is unclear? Because I wanted to add a couple of parts on my fic here. Like adding a prologue of an evil team trying to get Lugia. And changing the plot a bit on some of those chapters.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

asdfghjkl; OH HEY, PEOPLE WHO CAME WHILE REAL LIFE DECIDED TO LAY THE SMACKDOWN.

So the members list has been updated, but if I somehow missed your post, poke me. ;_;

In the meeeeantime! I won't be able to reply to everyone (because good God we're awesome already), but a few notes here and there!

Maybe I should go find a co-owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    I posted my idea on Fic Ideas there. And have you read the part where he got whipped?
    IIRC, yep. Aaaaaand I was like, "I don't know what's going on. " I mean that in the nicest way possible too because weren't they, like, at school or something? I'm not sure how to feel about a school where whipping happens. *sage nod*

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixsong View Post
    Who do I have to whack to get in, Don Jax?
    There's a writing club on dA that's been shortchanging us on the pay offs, if you know what I mean.

unless something else about the fic catches my eye... ohaithar AEM).
    AEM SAYS HI BACK.

Except Bill. Bill's too busy being Bill.

Also a brofist for this! SCPokémon ftw!
    High fives all around!

Guys. We should totally do it. Like, that should be our first challenge. Weird-as-**** SCP-style entries for Pokémon. Y/N?

Also, I swear I've read every post including all of yours, but I just want to say...

One of the other best parts is how I posted it. I did all of my writing on an ancient laptop (Windows 3.1 baby, aw yeah) I'd commandeered. It wasn't hooked up to the internet, though—my primary means of interneting back then was through our WebTV. The WebTV, by contrast, only let you access the internet, so there was no way to store files on it and Google Docs et al were still years and years away. So in order to start posting Alosir Longblade I had to:

1. Save fic to a floppy disk.
    2. Take floppy disk out to living room computer, also internetless, and print out the current chapter.
    3. Scoot chair over to WebTV, navigate to the forum I wanted to post to and, reading from the printout, manually retype the entire chapter in the reply box.
    The 90's were weird.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyroxPikachu View Post
    Also why does everyone hate Second person? I don't understand?
    Ikr? As Phoenix said, yeah, it's pretty much because it's so very rarely done in fanfiction and even rarer to see it done well. But it's a really cool mode of telling stories if you know what you're doing with it, and it can be pretty awesomely powerful if you pull it off. (I can't rec Dragonfree's Butterfree enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by Azurne View Post
    You know, I remember posting in a thread not too long ago, saying the forum had nothing to fear because Jax wasn't the mob boss. Now, I have to go back and eat my words. :|
    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE WHY TAKE LUCKY SEVEN IS NOW A MAFIA. :V

I can provide arms and ammunition in the form of witty banter, as well as bullet-proof vests in the form of self-deprecating humor.
    We will take over Clubs yet.

I mean what?

So, I guess I'm kinda like a repairman for fandoms. The more I see how utterly broken an anime/game/book is, and how good it could have been, I either go into daydream mode or immediately start pulling up Word. *shrug*
    ...I don't know why, but I suddenly had the thought that you were the Engineer of fandom's Team Fortress. But that's okay because I spot some Medics and Heavies in here too. (NO, I'M NOT SAYING WHICH IS WHICH. Guess! >8D)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMemento View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say that it's cute by any means. And it's far from friendly. But yeah, let's go with that so that I don't have to spoil anything.
    FACEHUGGERS JUST WANT TO HUG YOU.

And then jam their self-pollenating ovipositors down your throat.

OUT OF LOVE.

Yeah. All of our characters could probably attest to that.
    Some more than others. Amirite? >8D

Not when the name is...Stonetail.
    STILL PRETTY METAL.

...Only I guess not really because that would be more like stone maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    All hail kingpin Jax.
    *dons sunglasses and struts like a boss*

My first story was pretty much a mixture of Animorphs and an element of the Jimmy Neutron movie. All the characters were people I knew (read: other kids in my fifth-grade class) and I never wrote past the part where the main character turned into a tiger and almost ate her best friend. This was probably for the best.
    On the contrary, it sort of sounds like you stopped at the best part.

Also *adds to Redwall brofist* Those were some of my favoruite books growing up, and his description and settings and characters always enchanted me. His death was really saddening.
    ...I seriously had no childhood. I... I never read the Redwall books, guys. *ducks and covers!*

(Are they the kinds of books you can still appreciate when you're in your twenties, or are they more like Artemis Fowl, where you read them at twenty-five and go, "Why did twelve-year-old me not see that this is Captain Planet with toilet humor?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ysavvryl View Post
    Oh, we're a mafia now? Well all right... *snickers while plotting* I'll be around.

Who am I kidding? I'm too nice for a mafia!
    THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO THINK.

In actuality, you're probably, like, this mafia's top assassin or something. All sweet and such, but NOPE. GARROTE WIRE FOR EVERYONE.

Another reason that I really like fanfiction is that it gives me a good outlet for experimenting, either with ideas, or forms, or styles.
    So much this. Especially so for Pokémon fic, amirite? I mean, it's like the fandom's a beautiful, beautiful sandbox.

The unicorn offers to fly her to the moon (no reason stated)
    Do you really need a reason to fly to the moon? ;D

Oh, can I have a deadline? Sort of, as it's pretty distant. For Pokedex One-Shots, I want to be able to complete the other five regions before the English version of the sixth gen Pokedex is available. Not that I want to rush myself and throw in something low quality (comparatively) for the sake of numbers, but that is my current goal.
    Absolutely! Would you like me to mark you down for October 2013 (i.e., when the games come out), or are you aiming for something a bit sooner? Or do you just want to keep it at "before the English 'dex is available"?

Quote Originally Posted by Griff4815 View Post
    Guh-whaaaaaaaa?! You read that?
    Admittedly, in spurts. Like, I read the first chapter way back when on PC, IIRC, and I remember thinking it was actually pretty good, especially compared to a lot of other trainer fics out there. I've never gotten around to finishing it, though, but I've recently discovered that the Kindle is a fantastic thing. In other words, it's going on mine someday, and I'll tell you what I think of the ending.

I did consider rebooting it at some point. I feel like it would have to be a total overhaul though since there's so much that I'd want to change and it's just so time consuming doing both a run-of-the-mill badge-collecting plot and then there was that thing with the relics and with Team Magma and Aqua and oi. I would like to do something Pokemony again though, since this isn't really the right area for my Digimon stories and it would be nice to be relevant again . =P
    In that case... DO EET. And hey, on the positive side, if you liked working with the characters, rebooting the whole shebang's another chance to work with them. Even if you have to overhaul everything, all that'd means is you get a fresh start and more opportunities to see what you can do with them.

'Sides, it'd be awesome to see more of the vets posting again. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    What do you do if your plot becomes boring overall in the first few chapters? Do you refine the story, leave it as it is or redo the story? Or if your writing is unclear? Because I wanted to add a couple of parts on my fic here. Like adding a prologue of an evil team trying to get Lugia. And changing the plot a bit on some of those chapters.
    Hmm. Well, in my personal opinion, editing's not a bad thing, especially for early chapters. Early chapters are the foundation for the rest of your fic. They're like the thing that the house that is the rest of your story stands on. What happens when a house's foundation or the ground underneath it isn't very good? Best case scenario is the house gets cracks in its walls. Worst case scenario is the house sinks. Just like a house, a story can have a good foundation and a bad foundation. Having a bad foundation doesn't necessarily mean that the story will sink, but it will mean some people are going to notice the cracks in the walls. Sometimes, it's okay to go back and redo the basement of your story (read: refine the first chapters). Maybe it might even be a good thing to bulldoze the whole shebang and rebuild from the ground up (read: rewrite). But either way, it's definitely an option, and I tend to say that if you have the time to devote to doing that, it'd be a good idea to at least consider it.

On the other hand, I'm also not you, and whether or not you'd want to do this is really up to you. Sometimes, you can still work in exciting plots after slow beginnings and still get people to like what you're doing. Also remember that whatever you decide, it'll be the beginning of the story you work on for quite some time after this. So think carefully and make a decision based on what kind of story you want to be writing months from now and whether or not the choices you've made in the beginning will help you get to that future story, if that makes sense.

Do I think you should rewrite your particular fic? It's definitely salvageable, but it sounds to me like you're not particularly happy with it, which is the important thing here. So you may be looking to take the more drastic option, and if you think that'll be the kind of fic you'd like to write, I say you should go for it.

Hope this helps!

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Admittedly, in spurts. Like, I read the first chapter way back when on PC, IIRC, and I remember thinking it was actually pretty good, especially compared to a lot of other trainer fics out there. I've never gotten around to finishing it, though, but I've recently discovered that the Kindle is a fantastic thing. In other words, it's going on mine someday, and I'll tell you what I think of the ending.

In that case... DO EET. And hey, on the positive side, if you liked working with the characters, rebooting the whole shebang's another chance to work with them. Even if you have to overhaul everything, all that'd means is you get a fresh start and more opportunities to see what you can do with them.

'Sides, it'd be awesome to see more of the vets posting again. ;D
    "Ending"... <snicker>. I'd appreciate if you told me; that way I can write one!

Yeah, that's true. I'll give it some thought. I've currently got a few Digimon (blasphemer!) projects going on, but once I've thinned the herd, maybe. And I could always write as a breather, if I need one.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 22 is up.

Guys. We should totally do it. Like, that should be our first challenge. Weird-as-**** SCP-style entries for Pokémon. Y/N?
    Yes, that should be one of our challenges. Unfortunately, I'm gonna personally pass on writing one because I'm still freakin' scared of everything from SCP despite being fascinated by it, and I don't think I have enough knowledge of SCP to really write one myself. I'll happily read everyone's contributions when they're up, though.

Just for the love of God, please don't post pictures.

...I seriously had no childhood. I... I never read the Redwall books, guys. *ducks and covers!*
    *runs in and high-fives you hard* DUDE I NEVER READ THE BOOKS EITHER though I saw some of the cartoon series LET'S FORM A "NO CHILDHOOD" SUB-CLUB

(Are they the kinds of books you can still appreciate when you're in your twenties, or are they more like Artemis Fowl, where you read them at twenty-five and go, "Why did twelve-year-old me not see that this is Captain Planet with toilet humor?"
    I think they're the books you can still appreciate as an adult. My dad collected a lot of the books and read them himself. He actually tried reading them to us when we were kids, but we didn't get very far, and we have since then forgotten the story.

I also never read the Artemis Fowl books. They never interested me. But now that I know it's pretty much Captain Planet-esque...

So much this. Especially so for Pokémon fic, amirite? I mean, it's like the fandom's a beautiful, beautiful sandbox.
    Funny: I hate sand. Seriously, can't stand the feel of sand. Never liked touching sand as a kid, and I still don't. But what does sand have to do with fandoms in the first place, just because you mentioned it's a metaphorical sandbox xP?

I'M TIRED LET ME BE
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Why you like fanfic/writing: Because other than the fact that my art sucks...

I like to do creative stuff, especially Pokemon-related ones. I don't know, I've always had a love for writing, especially fictions. I really like writing because you can literally do everything with your character, a toy that never breaks (I'm so sadistic lol) and I love to experience with it. I also like continuity for plots for the anime. This is usually sparked by my interest of what happened to ... after so and so happened, what adventure did so and so experience after so and so parted with so and so... It's really a free-for-all space for creativity. And dayum, I love creative writing :3

For example, I'm writing a fic with Dawn in it because she was my favourite character in the anime. So yeah, pretty much it.

~Please accept mui

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

FACEHUGGERS JUST WANT TO HUG YOU.

And then jam their self-pollenating ovipositors down your throat.

OUT OF LOVE.
    And then have the spawn of their self-pollenation violently rip itself from your chest cavity, grow into a true xenomorph, and proceed to stalk and hunt down all of your friends to share the same kind of love with them. Of course, this is all out of love, so... ;D

Some more than others. Amirite? >8D
    Yeah... -looks nervously at all of his characters, who probably want to kill him in all kinds of horrible ways-

STILL PRETTY METAL.

...Only I guess not really because that would be more like stone maybe?
    Still doesn't compare to actual metal. :P

It's alright. We all have no childhood...although I am pretty surprised that you didn't grow up with Redwall; it was a very popular children's series.

(Actually, they're the kind of books that make you go, "How the hell could they possibly be classified as children's stories with the content they have?!" They did have some species always be evil (and the henchmen/mooks tended to be idiots), but other than that, there were some fairly complicated personalities, especially for a children's series. I still read the ones I have.)
    CURRENT STORY

A Time for Everything - Kalos has lived peacefully for far too long, following the ideals of the corrupt. It's time to change that... An AU of X/Y.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMemento View Post
    (Actually, they're the kind of books that make you go, "How the hell could they possibly be classified as children's stories with the content they have?!" They did have some species always be evil (and the henchmen/mooks tended to be idiots), but other than that, there were some fairly complicated personalities, especially for a children's series. I still read the ones I have.)
    Animorphs, man. Those were some pretty gory books for a kids' series (well, I think they were Young Adult books now that I think about it), and I think they were pretty complicated enough that though I've read them thoroughly as a kid, I still can't wrap my head around everything. Also, you shouldn't be surprised that some children have read the Warrior series, since you've read them yourself, and from what I've read on about it, people are really surprised it's a kids' series.

The stuff you could get away with in children's literature and entertainment back in the day... is it any wonder why we came out the way we did?
    I survived Pupa.

Animorphs, man. Absolutely some of my favorite books as a kid, and then I went back and randomly read the Wikipedia synopsis a while ago and my mind was blown by how strange it all was. "There was this alien MMO player and then he got godlike powers and decided he was going to save the universe under his old username and then he merged with a black hole and became like part of the fabric of the universe or something" and whaaat, just whaaaat? So awesome and also so wtf. With that as one of my influences, no wonder I write such weird stuff now.

I never actually finished the series (got up to like 35 and decided, "this is never going to end!" and gave up on it), but I definitely want to go back and try to at some point. I could probably knock off each book in about half an hour these days anyway. :P

(Also a big fan of Redwall back in the day, people who haven't read it should check it ooout~)

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Animorphs, man. Those were some pretty gory books for a kids' series (well, I think they were Young Adult books now that I think about it), and I think they were pretty complicated enough that though I've read them thoroughly as a kid, I still can't wrap my head around everything. Also, you shouldn't be surprised that some children have read the Warrior series, since you've read them yourself, and from what I've read on about it, people are really surprised it's a kids' series.

The stuff you could get away with in children's literature and entertainment back in the day... is it any wonder why we came out the way we did?
    Jesus Christ... hearing people a good DOZEN YEARS younger than I am talking about how they "grew up" is so damn weird.

I didn't have any of these things you're all talking about when I was a kid. Animorphs? Warriors? No, that post-dates me a great deal. I never even heard of either series until about 6 or 7 years ago. I had HE-MAN, bitches. And the original ThunderCats. And Silverhawks. And, later, the original Ninja Turtles.

Most of my childhood reading was comic books anyway (heck, most of my ADULT reading is comic books). X-Men and Spider-Man and... really, everything Marvel put out.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast