Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fan Fiction Mafia

Have you ever written 2 or more stories at once and enjoyed doing it? If so, how did you go about doing it? Meaning, how did you divide up your time to write both stories?

Right now, I'm working on my Pokemon fic Hoenn Reborn, and I probably should be working on my Dishonored fanfic, The Whaler's Tale, as well ... And I've got my Godzilla fic to finish, but that's on hiatus. And I should start working my challenge entry soon as well ...

Dividing time is easy. Just work on whichever one you're in the mood to write.

~Deadly

plot, bounty hunters, crazed tax collectors
    a journeyfic by the most improved writer of 2012, second place
    what more could you want?

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

Speaking of the challenge, I will probably do that as well. but I need to get TTL Ch 12 out before I consider writing anything else.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Do you ever feel that people aren't reading your stuff the correctly?

I know that most people are reading the title of my original story wrong, given that it's in Icelandic. If any of you are from Iceland, please explain this, as I don't want to screw anything up like a bad translator.

Have you ever written 2 or more stories at once and enjoyed doing it? If so, how did you go about doing it? Meaning, how did you divide up your time to write both stories?

I'm doing it right now! It's not all that hard, you just write whatever you're in the mood for. When I'm no in the mood for my original story, I go to my Pokemon fic; simple as that. Though normally, I cycle between the two. Prioritizing is the key to success, and that goes for if your working on even more than two at a time!
    Last edited by Meeker; 20th March 2013 at 4:54 PM.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Actually, I find this is the best way to work. I've usually got at least two projects going at once, usually three. It helps a writer to stay productive because if you hit a bind on one project, you don't have to lose any of your creative momentum. You can just work on the second (or third, or whatever) until you feel so inclined as to start up on the first one again. The best way to do it is to only work on one story when you sit down to write. So, at the moment, I'm working on three projects, Fire Eternal, Dark Pawn, and The Legend of Aiden MacShay. If I start working on Fire Eternal, I'll just keep writing that in a writing session until I hit burnout, at which point I'll stop for the day and go for a run/eat dinner/make a cup of tea. The next day, if I think I've found a good story writing vein and want to mine it, I'll go back to Fire Eternal. If not, I'll do some work on Aiden MacShay, then rinse and repeat.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Why you like fanfic/writing: the reason that I like fanfic is that I can get bored with canon stuff pretty fast since it can get boring and repetitive, like everything pokemon for example. Fanfic is a welcome alternative and sometimes it's even better than the real thing.
    The reason that I enjoy writing is that once I create my own little fictional world, I simply get lost in it and keep writing, which makes me become more immersed in that world, which...yeah, it basically just continues on forever in a circle like that.

Hey, you! Yeah, you! No, not you in front, you there who likes pokémon. Do you like the animé? Do you ever think you'd like to use pokémon and battle like they do in the show?
    Look no further than the
    Pokémon Animé Style Battling League!
    Come say hello in our Time Out thread and we'll get you started on a wonderful adventure. Training pokémon, fighting Gym Leaders, maybe even catching a Legendary pokémon? The choice is yours!

I'm also doing this right now. Though my time division is a bit... scattered. I'm working on a currently posted fic, yet to be posted fic and trying to develop a third fic. I agree, I enjoy it. When say, I'm bored with XXX character, I can just jump to another fic, give it more focus and just work on a few chapters, rather than having to go through a troublesome task of developing, writing a new story and continuing the habit of writing while you're not working on one fic is good, because it keeps you in practice. I enjoy this experience, though I have to admit that sometimes I can't divide the time as well as other members in this club :P

Anyways, I'm going to give a new topic if you guys don't mind:

Have you ever tried writing and posting non-Pokemon Fandom Fics? If yes, how was it received and what do you enjoy from it? If no, why?

For me, it's a no. I feel like writing a Detective Conan fic. Wait, back up. Not a Fic, but just collected stories using Conan and characters, so it's just a bunch of canon short stories that don't interfere with the plot, but takes place at different times.

Anyways, I haven't got to writing it or posting it yet. My main problem is that Gosho (the author of the manga) is either a genius or a sadistic person. I'm not that sadistic or as much of a genius as he is. I can't think of any murder situations and evidences. I'm just on the thinking stage. However, even once I get one story typed, I'm not sure where to post it. That's my main problem. I heard FF.net doesn't have the best reviewers in the world, and the chance of my fic getting found is as tiny as a dot. Then again, Serebiiforum's non-Pokemon Fic Sections is even more dead than a wasteland. Sigh...

So, yeah, that's my stand. If anyone can give any advices to my situation, please tell me.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Have you ever tried writing and posting non-Pokemon Fandom Fics? If yes, how was it received and what do you enjoy from it? If no, why?

I have. My only stories that I'm currently writing are Digimon ones. They were received... well, I don't know, because nobody ever replied to them. xD I didn't post them with any expectations they'd be read though. Non-pokemon stories are largely ignored - not surprising as this is a pokemon forum. I enjoy writing Digimon a little more than I do writing Pokemon. I still like writing Pokemon, but yeah. I feel like there's more freedom with Digimon.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 17 is up.

No, but I'd like to. If any of you have seen my Author's Profile, there's this Skyrim fic I want to write. Problem is, is that no one will read it... *sigh*
    Oh well. I was gonna write it just to write it anyways. And I suppose that's what you'd have to think if you are going to write a non-Pokemon fic.

I have written several non-Pokemon fics and I would post them at Livejournal, Dreamwidth, Archive of Our Own, and FFnet. They're hit and misses depending where my friends read the stories. The comments I do get I appreciated them taking the time to read and reply. There were times I wish I would get comments on certain fics I was proud of and wondered if it's because the fandom is dying or my stories aren't engaging enough.

Tumblr | FFnet | Author's Profile| Archive of Our Own | Banner: Umi Mizuno
    I'm still writing, but probably not much Pokemon stuff at the moment. HAM!

The first story I ever posted was in the non-Pokemon section, but it was original. I might make a non-Pokemon Fandom fic, but I have tried it in the past. I liked doing it, but I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I scrapped it. Instead, I have a new idea that I'm keeping rather tight-lipped about for the time being.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

ALWAYS. And no, I obviously don't divide my time between them very well.

Yes. I don't know how well-received they are here because no one goes over to the non-Pokémon section, but on FFN, people like them. So either way, I know I'm writing a good story, even if I worry over it at first.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I personally think that this club should organise a project to liven up the non-Pokemon fan fic section. Honestly, that section is as dead as a wasteland. Ughhh Blehhh...

I haven't answered this question yet. So here goes

How hard would it be to write a fan fic about game that doesn't have a plot?
    IMO, it ranges from hard to easy. It just depends on a person's creativity. If a writer is creative, he could turn a plot-less game into an exciting, full of suspense fiction that gets a few thousand rates a day. If the writer lacks creativity, it could just be like Ash's Pokemon Adventure. Dull, boring and sometimes you wonder why you still keep writing. So yeah, it really depends. I personally find it harder than a normal fic, since you have to think about a plot. Though that applies to non-adventure fics too.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I personally think that this club should organise a project to liven up the non-Pokemon fan fic section. Honestly, that section is as dead as a wasteland. Ughhh Blehhh...
    It is, and it IS a shame. But the problem is that we're all here because we all like pokemon. We might have incredibly few other fandoms (I really hate that word) in common. So the fics you want to write may not really appeal to anyone else here.

We could do a project to post some ORIGINAL, non-fanfic works on that board, though, and get each other to look at them. That way we're not dealing with pre-existing material that others don't enjoy.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Remember that big idea that I was talking about earlier? Well, I was talking to JX for the past few weeks and... The Fan Fiction Mafia presents...

The Writers of Justice

Our Goal To make dedicated Beta Readers no longer a necessity, while at the same time making it easier to obtain Beta Readers and get your Fan Fiction out to new people. We also promote a friendly environment where Writers and Readers alike can meet and discuss ideas and other related topics to Fan Fiction.

Method The bare-bones idea of this part of the WoJ is to pair participating Mafia members off once a week (typically on Friday evenings) and either write on their stories or review what their partner has. The choices are, for the most part, random. Occasionally we pair two members together if they ask to be, but for obvious reasons, that is not always possible.

So after we pair off you off, it is up to the two members to contact each other and give one another the links to their respective WiP's. For this purpose, we use Google Docs. So if you do not already have a Google account, you will need one of them. If you two wish, you may share email addresses so you can share the Doc only to the other person. We've been making it so the Share settings are so that anyone with a link to the doc can comment, but it's your doc after all. So long as you can see and comment on each other's docs, then your fine. Click here for an example of how that typically goes.

We also have a small forum that we've been using to collaborate on, but as per Forum Rules, I'm not allowed to link to it from this post. Instead, look for the link in my signature.

Want to Join? Simply post here or VM/PM me saying that you'd like to take part in the WoJ. That's all there is to it! Oh, and everyone is entitled to a single membership banner like some of our members have. Simply include the name of a Pokemon you'd like represent you in your joining post and I'll happily have that to you ASAP.

Projects At the moment, the WoJ is busy planning a collaborative fan fiction. Unfortunately for our newer members, the five writers (Sid87, Brutaka, pokeutter, diamondpearl876, and Shadow Lucario 50) of this fan fic have been previously decided.

However, since we are still in the planning stage, any member may pop on over to the forum and contribute as many or as little plot ideas, locations, characters, names, et cetera as they like. So feel free to pop on in. Just keep in mind that due to spoilers and such, you do have to be logged-in to view that small part of the forum. The rest of the forum is public the masses though.

Current Writing Pairs of March 22, 2013
    Kukansis/Shadow Lucario 50
    DarkScarecrow/Sidewinder
    Brutaka/Deadly.Braviary
    Sid87/Agent Tectonic
    Pokenutter/Azurus
    Superdaikenki/Kutie Pie
    ChaosCaptain/Knightfall
    Wyrm/ Meeker
    Silentmemento/DiamondPearl876

The integration of the WoJ with the Mafia was approved by Fan Fiction Mafia co-owners JX Valentine and Brutaka as well as The Writers of Justice Founders Knightfall, Brutaka, and Meeker.

I don't know if any of you have heard of the WoJ (except the ones who are members. Theres a lot of you here actually), but this isn't as extreme as it sounds. Because the WoJ already exists. It's been more of a loose group of friends until now.
    What this does is add WoJ functionality to the Mafia, so we can help other writers too.

PS: On the note of spicing up the non-Pokemon forum... We could all work on non-Pokemon fics and then other Mafia members read/reply to them. A semi-large amount of activity in the forum could draw attention to it.
    Last edited by Brutaka; 22nd March 2013 at 6:18 PM.

On the non-pokemon section:

One of the boards on Fictionpress does a monthly writing contest. On the first day of every month, a prompt (either a picture or a short quote) is given, and people have until the seventh of the month to register for the contest and write their piece, be it fiction or poetry. Then, from the eighth to the fourteenth, a vote is held and whoever gets the most votes wins. The vote is open to everyone, not just those who participated in the contest. The prize, along with bragging rights, is a review from every other participant on the story of their choice (depth review, so the minimum is the requirement for the Review Game I started up a few months ago) and the winner also picks the prompt for the next month.

I've found it to be a great way to try new things out in writing, to keep my skills sharp, and also writing on a tight deadline. We could really bring some life to any writing forum with this, because it would mean at least a few new one-shots every month are going into the non-pokemon fic category and are getting some reviews. It's also a good way for new writers to get into the community, because participants are encouraged to read the other submitted fics before voting on them (voting for your own is considered to be in bad taste). So, you think this is a viable idea? A monthly one-shot/poetry contest?

If there are two things I'm terrible at, they are writing under a strict deadline (though that matter could conceivably get better starting the second week of April when my new schedule kicks in and I start working 10 hour days with every Wednesday off) and prompted writing. I tend to write because I WANT to write and get out ideas that I want to get out. Prompt-based writing, to me, makes writing feel like homework or a task, and I start viewing writing less as something I'm doing for fun and more as something I'm doing because I feel I have to.

But that's obviously just me and my two cents on that matter. Others may (and probably do) love prompted writing.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

While I'm not fond of strict deadlines (and close ones at that), prompted writing can be pretty fun as long as they are vague enough. Because then you have an idea and it's up to you to decide where yuo want to take it.
    Which is why I like the Challenges we do here.

Speaking of which, wouldn't this just be a stricter version of the Challenges?

Speaking, speaking of which (dont ask), I still have to do the current challenge... *rubs chin*

Well, yeah, on Fictionpress, it's called the Writing Contest Challenge, so basically the same thing. I don't know, thought I'd propose it. Doing it has been pretty helpful for me, and I wondered what other people here would think. The Review Game was received rather well.

@Feralninja: you could go ahead, but I doubt anyone would be so motivated as to write anything acceptable in just a week ... It might work if you loosened the time constraints.

Also, awesome to see the Writers of Justice integrated into the FFM! But ... Justice and Mafia? :O
    On a more serious note, hey guys! I'm Deadly, another newbie to the WoJ. This is my second week, and I can help you with some basic stuff. I'm also the unofficial welcome mat :P so if you join, expect to have me pop up on your wall to say hi.

~Deadly

plot, bounty hunters, crazed tax collectors
    a journeyfic by the most improved writer of 2012, second place
    what more could you want?

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

Wow! This is very interesting... Just a question before I decide to join. Do we have to partake in the Projects if we decide to join? Or is that just something for fun?

This is definitely a great way to find Beta-Readers instead of 'looking' for one by asking in your sig and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic-Gothorita View Post
    Wow! This is very interesting... Just a question before I decide to join. Do we have to partake in the Projects if we decide to join? Or is that just something for fun?
    Nope, it's completely optional. Signing up means that you get put on the pairing list, and nothing more.
    EDIT: Well, and it allows you to take part in the extra stuff, but as I said, it's completely optional.
    This is definitely a great way to find Beta-Readers instead of 'looking' for one by asking in your sig and such...
    Thats exactly the point!

I wouldn't mind monthly prompts with the focus more on original fiction (would like to write more of those). I like prompts as they're a springboard for ideas when I want to practice some writing. Sometimes I do get worried if I'm moving too far from the prompt but overall I'm able to keep in focus.

I would join the Writers of Justice, but hadn't written anything Pokemon in such a long time. If I'm able to expand on a couple Pokemon ideas, though, then perhaps I will!
    Last edited by Bay; 23rd March 2013 at 6:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay View Post
    I would join the Writers of Justice, but hadn't written anything Pokemon in such a long time. If I'm able to expand on a couple Pokemon ideas, though, then perhaps I will!
    You dont have to write Pokemon fic. And you dont necessarily have to write for Serebii either, but it makes it harder if you dont.

Hello there - I stumbled upon this club out of pure luck and would like to know if it is still okay to join. I've been writing fanfiction and short/creative stories (no joke) since I was around six (though obviously not to the extent now! XDD), and it has been my passion throughout the course of my entire life. I want my career to revolve around it, I want everything to simply revolve around the thing I love to do.

So yes, as you can see, I'm pretty passionate about it, and wondered if you had room for one more...? ^//^;
    I used to care but now I'm pretty much just bored and heavily attracted to Jeff Clement.

Tumblr!: http://rubyhaireddemon.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    You dont have to write Pokemon fic. And you dont necessarily have to write for Serebii either, but it makes it harder if you dont.
    Yeah, that's why I'm not joining at this moment. I don't know if you guys are familiar of the fandoms I write for. And yeah, Serebii is where all of us post our Pokemon fanfiction.

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast