Thread: Am I the only one that gets mad that...

Default Am I the only one that gets mad that...

Certain Pokemon like... Houndour and Murkrow and Larvitar are not available until AFTER the elite 4?

I don't know anyone else that has the GSC games and their gameboy colour, so I could never do a play through of GSC where I can use Houndour at least in the first 8 gyms.

He's my favorite fire type.

Yes, this makes me made. Back in GSC I was in love with Dark types and the fact that you couldn't get them until late game made me so angry.

GodDamnZilla

Yeah, I feel a little ripped off that you can't capture Larvitar to get a pseudo-Legendary until way after the main story, meanwhile in the original games you can capture a Dratini before or after getting the Soul Badge and train it carefully to get a Dragonite, the first pseudo-Legendary, before you battle the Elite Four. But I think they did that on purpose because of how powerful Tyranitar is, and they must've learned their lesson or something. Though I don't know of anyone who used a Dragonite in the Elite Four in R/B/Y.

At least you could get Umbreon as early as before you fight Morty.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Forget the pseudo-legendary larvitar, I just wanted to kick Morty's arse with hondour! >

I am currently playing a sharked run on the emulator where I get houndour early, seems a lot more fun this time around.

Yes, the only Fire types I cared about in the 2nd gen were Houndour and Typhlosion. It's stupid that you can't get a Pokemon like Houndour earlier in the game because there weren't many good Fire or Dark types in the beginning of the game (I'm not counting Cyndaquil here). Getting Houndour would have made things a lot better against Morty.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

I remember wondering where I could catch Pokemon like Murkrow and Houndour. I was so hyped about them when I first began playing Silver version, and then I was disappointed when I realized that they couldn't be caught until later. I literally searched every route in Johto for them before I found out that they're native to Kanto for whatever reason in G/S.

No, I would have really liked being able to capture a Houndour before Morty. It would have made him a piece of cake. Or pie.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

I never really thought about this when I played the games as I only used the Pokemon that were available before the E4. And if I had wanted to use those that were available only after beating the E4, I could always trade to get them to the right game.
    This is the future we made for ourselves
    But is it really the dream we wanted to live in?

The present has to be treated as precious
    Or we will regret it when it has become the past...

I hated this. These JOHTO Pokemon that can't be caught until after the Elite 4.

But I think it happened in Gen4 too, with the evolutions. Those weren't WHOLE FAMILY MEMERS though.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Yeah it's annoying not being able to pick from all of the Johto Pokemon for the Johto E4. It would have been better to swap them with some Kanto Pokemon to improve Kanto and make it more nostalgic

Definitely with you on this. I wish you could get some dark types earlier. I mean, they're always epicly cool!

Of course, what doesn't makes sense is having Johto Pokemon in Kanto. I mean, if they're native to Johto...

This always seemed illogical to me as well. I mean, the new Pokemon are pretty much the biggest selling point for new games, so deciding to stick so many new evolution families after the main game just doesn't make sense. Especially when it came to Dark-types - five out of the six introduced in Gen 2 couldn't be obtained until beating the Elite Four! What were they thinking?

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Agreed. It makes no sense that Johto Pokemon can't even be found in Johto. Also, from a design standpoint, it makes team building difficult because you have too few options for Dark and Ghost types until then (you have like what, Gengar and Umbreon, and maybe Sneasel or Misdreavus depending on what version you play, and that's it). They should've changed the distribution around a bit in this game, move all 2nd gen Pokemon and Pokemon that have 2nd gen evos/prevos (that includes Pikachu, Electabuzz, Chansey, etc.) to Johto and move some of the 1st gen Pokemon you could go without (Tangela and Farfetch'd, for example) to Kanto. That'd be more fair, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontail View Post
    But I think it happened in Gen4 too, with the evolutions. Those weren't WHOLE FAMILY MEMERS though.
    It happened with many of the new evolutions in DP in 4th gen (but they were included into the Platinum Sinnoh Dex), and in BW2 as well, where about 20some Pokemon in the Unova Dex were not actually catchable until the National Dex was obtained (some 5th gen Pokemon made this list such as Tympole, Stunfisk, Munna, Cryogonal, Durant, and Heatmor, but many of them were past gen Pokemon such as Larvitar, Slakoth, Yanma, Croagunk, Jigglypuff, Lickitung, Tropius, and Carnivine).
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 28th February 2013 at 9:29 PM.

I happen to really like most dog-like Pokemon, so yes, it was always disappointing that I couldn't have a Houndour/doom on my main team.

You're not alone.

Here's some things I think they should've done differently with the distribution:

-Move Houndour to Rt. 35
    -Move Murkrow to Rt. 42
    -Move Chansey to Rt. 34
    -Move Clefairy to Ruins of Alph
    -Move Misdreavus and Larvitar to Mt. Mortar 3F (Cliff Cave is fine in HGSS)
    -Move Slugma to Burned Tower
    -Keep Sneasel in Ice Path like it was in Crystal (why did they put him back in Rt. 28/Mt. Silver in HGSS?)
    -Put Pikachu and Electabuzz on Rt. 39
    -Move Farfecth'd and Drowzee to Rt. 11
    -Move Staryu and Shellder to Rt. 19-21
    -Move Seel to Seafoam Island
    -Move Tangela to Rt. 25
    -Move Paras to Rt. 2, Viridian Forest, and Mt. Moon
    -Move Venonat to Rt. 24, 25, 2, and Viridian Forest
    -Move Koffing to Rt. 17
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 1st March 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Not that I agree with this at all, I was perfectly happy to go "dayum" when I saw a Slugma on Cycling Road but:

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    -Move Farfecth'd to Rt. 11
    Making Farfetch'd available in wild Kanto? Hmm... I see a point missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by ToeyJoey View Post
    Making Farfetch'd available in wild Kanto? Hmm... I see a point missed.
    And that is?

It's a rare Kanto native, why not put it in Kanto?