In my opinion original trio even in Johto had more engaging and lively dynamic than any cast which came afterwards.
Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 27th February 2013 at 7:47 PM.
What is an unpopular opinion of mine is that Ash had the best friendship with Dawn. Though DP Group didn't flash out as much interactions as previous groups. Brock was just sidelined while Ash/Dawn had all the fun :P
Charizard returning THIS season... BW just knows how to ruin a lot of good things. Poor Charizard got a down-graded moveset makeover :P
After watching the sinnoh leage, i have to say that i actually *liked* the battle with tobias. not only was it interesting (not because legendaries but because he literally mopped the floor with ash's pokemon but yet have his darkrai beat ) but it was very tense indeed. i knew ash wasn't going to win but it was cool how he was the only one to defeat darkrai.
It depends on personal definition of what someone considers interesting or boring i guess.
Same applies to Ash, Misty and Brock in Johto with changes they went through being result of character development they went through as characters.
Ash was still naive but also more "smart"with other two keeping him in check. Misty showed plenty of personality traits interacting great with several characters being still stubborn and hotheaded,but also more serene and playful growing more attached to her friends which came to expression most when she had to leave them and go back to gym.
While Brock was keeping everything on hold from falling apart being source of wisdom and knowledge.
I remember several moments where you could feel how they were friends having fun together.Like when Misty encouraged Brock to do first step about girls,when she tend to tease Ash along with getting into clash sometimes when they competed over something, got lost, said something stupid etc. When Brock got sick with both companions having to manage without him showing close connection and concern about him etc.
Dynamic between Ash,Misty and Brock slightly changed but they still felt like lively family in Johto being enjoyable imo.
Slapstick humor was replaced with more sarcasm and smart alec jokes being present along with naivety from some of them adding to comedy with their friendship actually growing getting over their introduction phase allowing to take their relationship on higher level. Since they already knew their weak and strong point gibing out impression of three strongly connected friends exploring new regions and pokemon.
What Ash traveling companions really needed was more focus and expansion on their stories in Johto,but as group they still felt close imo. Perhaps its not so apparent because of too many fillers which focused more on cotd rather than cast itself, but generally when they shined they usually came out as memorable and entertaining characters showing great deal of care when someone was in trouble with Misty and Ash still providing tension and comedy.
In more abundant and vivid manner than other casts imo. But i guess we all have different tastes on this.
I think I'm probably one of the only people to ever think some of these:
-I don't want them to get rid of the anime and replace it with one like the black and white 2 short. I wouldn't mind them making one like that but I wouldn't like them to get rid of the original.
-I don't mind the factor of Ash never ageing
-Johto was my favourite series
-I think the show has gotten a lot better since Unova started
-Hoen and Sinnoh (I think most people will agree on sinnoh though) was my least favourite (Not including battle frontier)
Too cool for a signature!
- I find that Gym Battles during BW is probably the wrost. Not sure if that's an unpopular? But there's absolutely no good gym battles after Burgh's gym. There's no unpredictability in any of the gym battles. To be honest, none of the gym leaders have a lot of personality, nor background. They don't even appear before or after before the gym battle. It's usually 1 or 2episode bf the gym battle, then 1 episode the gym battle. They don't even appear after or before. Take Fantina for example. She appeared how many episodes? Or even Gardenia. She appeared AFTER her gym battle, getting Cacnea from James. I find that gym leaders in Bw are very bland, except maybe Skyla.
- Piplup is the cutest mascot ever in the Pokemon franchise ;3
- Lenora had a rematch battle
- Burgh appeared in BW018, a second time in BW022 and had the battle in BW025 (or BW023 if you don´t count the banned episodes)
- Clay appeared in BW060 and had his battle until BW062
- Sinnoh Gym Battles were a snorefest
- Sinnoh Gym Leaders were so boring (Volkner)/annoying (Fantina)/creepy (Gardenia and her Grass-type fetish)
- Lucario vs. Buizel is so overrated and was a pity badge, in the games: Draw = No badge
- I would prefered Ursula as a main rival over Zoey
- I liked the Thunder Armor thing, it shows how epic Swellow is
Rebattle matches are common in the anime. Discount that.
Clay didn't do anything useful during his non-gym appearances, though. BW057 had Clay criticising Ash and turning down his battle request. The legendary two-parter (BW059~060) didn't even involve Clay much. He only appeared in BW059 and he turned down Ash's battle request AGAIN. He didn't even appear in BW060. His last appearance was BW061, his gym match. His appearances previous to the gym are as good as cameos.
I'll give you Burgh, I missed that, but good catch.
Also, on your stans on Buizel vs Lucario. Half of Kanto badges are pity badges, so yeah.
Speaking of pity badges, I like them, nice to see him get his badges via less conventional methods.
I despised Ash's hoenn team with the exception of glalie.