Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 1371

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

  1. #326
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Edit
    (Joltik's quote)
    I wasn't saying Thunder Armor activated Guts, it's that they could have written it differently using Guts instead of TA

    As for Torkoal...those were the cases. He used Overheat too soon against Tropius and that's why Solarbeam matched it(It was even stated about Overheat losing power) and he could have switched it out because of the bad matchup
    Just had to make sure ^_^

    I get that, just saying most people think when a Pokemon loses it's because Ash did something wrong instead knowing that the other Pokemon is just
    stronger (but when the Pokemon wins, it's all because of the Pokemon)
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Just had to make sure ^_^

    I get that, just saying most people think when a Pokemon loses it's because Ash did something wrong instead knowing that the other Pokemon is just
    stronger (but when the Pokemon wins, it's all because of the Pokemon)
    I think it depends on the battle. I'll use Torkoal Vs Hariyama as an example. Ash made a mistake in keeping Torkoal out when he knows about Hariyama's huge Arm Thrusts, but it was still Torkoal who lost the battle even with it's awesome defense that wasn't used.

    While Golduck VS Torkoal, that was all Ash's fault. You can't expect a Torkoal to compete with a Hydro Pump while Iron Defense being disabled. Ash could have recalled just like Katie did, but he was overwhelmed




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  3. #328
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    @ Terminus w/Daryl
    Posts
    41,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    - Piplup is the cutest mascot ever in the Pokemon franchise ;3
    I'm sorry, but I really disagree. I'd really like to understand why you believe this so I could at least know where you're coming from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    (Gardenia and her Grass-type fetish)
    Um, well she was a Grass-type Gym Leader. I'd be more worried if she didn't like Grass-types. :x

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    - Lucario vs. Buizel is so overrated and was a pity badge, in the games: Draw = No badge
    I agree. I mean I'm not sure how other people felt about it, but I was highly disappointed with that battle. It was like watching an early Kanto Gym battle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    - I liked the Thunder Armor thing, it shows how epic Swellow is
    I promised myself I wouldn't lose it, but I did. I just can't even begin to imagine how any one could like that level of deus ex machina. Like, my favorite Pokemon is Oshawott and he's used quite a bit of deus ex machina himself, but I would quit being his fan if he had developed Thunder Armor with Pikachu. Like, I can't even imagine what the writers were thinking when they came up with that. I personally feel that Thunder Armor also made the Mossdeep City Gym battle seem like an early Kanto Gym battle.

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    As I explained...it was the writers' own way of using Swellow's Guts. They just played it out wrong

    *Edit*
    I'd like to add another opinion. I thought Snivy VS Palpitoad was terrible. Snivy had to use everything to beat something that was getting 4x damage each hit
    Last edited by TheFonz; 2nd March 2013 at 4:41 AM.




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  5. #330
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I'm sorry, but I really disagree. I'd really like to understand why you believe this so I could at least know where you're coming from.
    Lanturn isn't gonna get merchandised anyways, so yeah. I find Piplup cute. It's round head. Proud personality. That little collar thingy on its body and two white spots. Cute marketable portable, all three criterias are there.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  6. #331
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,303

    Default

    Piplup was entertaining during the first 30 or so DP episodes, but then after that its appeal wore off. I also liked it that Dawn kept it in its ball in early DP.

  7. #332
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    My other unpopular opinion is that I agree with everything CyberCubed has said on this one. I still enjoyed Misty, though. TRio occasionally. The rest of them...it's just annoying.
    Personally i don't think ill ever understand what some people find so "horrible" about Misty in Johto.
    Its true how she didn't got enough focus there , but right below Ash she received most development ad focus being still treated better than poor Brock and TR. Doing several valuable things and made plenty of mediocre episodes worthwhile watching with her vivacious personality.

    Lack of screen time definitely didn't affected her personality still being tomboyish and rebellious, being full of adventurous spirit liking to experiment. I recall she was still that shy girl being grotesgue terrified by bugs, headstrong ending into clash with several characters whether its trainer with Poliwrath, Flareon, Timothy and especially Jessie or James from TR. Curious wanting to try new things like infamous cooking, playing role of detective trying to disclose Gligarman under mask, Butch and Cassidy in pokemon horoscope episode etc.

    Passionate for water types showing interest in various ones wanting to catch them, and deep romantic being dreamer finding fascinating concept of love.

    People say there was no chemistry between original trio in Johto? Well i strongly disagree with Misty colorful personality being on great part source of appeal and humor produced to their interactions.

    There was still arguing between her and Ash when battling for Totodile, in Whirl Cup, when they got lost or come late to catch boat or train(such as for example to travel to islands during Whirl arc). Granted there was less arguing between Ash and Misty, but she still teased Ash quite a lot being cynical about it.
    Loud arguing in Johto changed more in mocking and playful teasing with Ash usually answering back to provocations being enjoyable because you had two way interacting.However that not to say they never argued in Johto as well because there still existed tension and competitive fiery rivalry between two which can be noticed in several episodes when battling for Totodile, in Whirl Cup, when they got lost or come late to catch boat or train(such as for example to travel to islands during Whirl arc), when ASh commented on her being Gyarados by horoscope etc.

    As well there existing several memorable moments with Brock coming up with inciting remarks being annoyed when he had no tact toward girls, supporting him in his moments of love he felt toward various females like dr. Anna or that girl which wanted to marry him giving him advices and criticism.
    Showed curiosity in his knowledge he applied when taking care of pokemon like Sudowoodo, concern when he was suck in danger taking care of him or slapping him to get out of trans(such as when Ninetales hypnotized him9etc.

    Only change in her personality was that she gradually became less aggressive compared to Kanto days when mallet and logs were used being sign of development learning to be more mature and tolerant. Something i view as good thing because it made character more competent and tough while still keeping her enjoyable traits being assertive as well spunky and vivid.

    If you ask me Misty interactions with Ash or Brock were just as fun as before only building up on established bond created in Kanto, with friendship becoming more profound along with interactions containing more mature spin to them reflecting how she was much more attached to her friends at that point being already familiar with their qualities and imperfections viewing them as her family.
    Hence being reason why she was so upset over leaving them at Johto end..

    I also noticed she battled more often than she did in Kanto using Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola in several battles whether it was when battling other trainers or Team Rocket. She entered various competitions (like Seaking catching contest or Alto Mare race)displaying her skills as water trainer,. She also had great dynamic with several characters like fire trainer Egan , Sakura with connection of both having older sisters becoming good friends and rivals in a way,Andreas from Seaking tournament etc.
    Doing overall more than she did in first two regions. Contributing to resolution of plots in various episodes befriending Hoot Hoot finding way out of forest allowing them to reach Newbark city,took initiative in breaking Arbok mecha and save Pikachu and Togepi, borrowed Ash her water pokemon to enter fire distinguish competition, helped various characters like Tammy and Politoad to reestablish their friendship and bond.
    Etc, etc.

    I suppose main reason why this is overlooked is because Johto was longer than previous two regions, with increase of Misty focus not being notable and big enough compared to length of saga.

    But personally i enjoyed in Misty character there being fun, vivid and flamboyant but also more mature and independent growing out of sister shadow giving more depth and appeal in different, equally enjoyable light. While getting some valuable growth herself there having many memorable moments.

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    7,418

    Default

    I for one still find the anime decent, although BW has been less than average imo.

  9. #334
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Despite being disappointed by some of the writers' decisions (especially in BW), I think that Pokemon is a very good anime.

    Um... don't know if this should be considered an unpopular opinion.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Despite being disappointed by some of the writers' decisions (especially in BW), I think that Pokemon is a very good anime.

    Um... don't know if this should be considered an unpopular opinion.
    I don't think the Anime is inherently bad but I feel that the writers can do far better with a little more effort in storytelling and plotting yet don't.

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Despite being disappointed by some of the writers' decisions (especially in BW), I think that Pokemon is a very good anime.

    Um... don't know if this should be considered an unpopular opinion.
    I used to think the Pokemon anime was a good one...until they kept dragging it on and on for no reason. Now, it's just sad for me to see how it started, and how it will end up. I feel the show was a lot better in its earlier arcs than its latter ones. I've been through a re-run of the entire series, and the newer arcs just don't give me the excitement and happiness I have from watching the older arcs. It's a weird feeling.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Personally i don't think ill ever understand what some people find so "horrible" about Misty in Johto.
    Its true how she didn't got enough focus there , but right below Ash she received most development ad focus being still treated better than poor Brock and TR. Doing several valuable things and made plenty of mediocre episodes worthwhile watching with her vivacious personality.

    Lack of screen time definitely didn't affected her personality still being tomboyish and rebellious, being full of adventurous spirit liking to experiment. I recall she was still that shy girl being grotesgue terrified by bugs, headstrong ending into clash with several characters whether its trainer with Poliwrath, Flareon, Timothy and especially Jessie or James from TR. Curious wanting to try new things like infamous cooking, playing role of detective trying to disclose Gligarman under mask, Butch and Cassidy in pokemon horoscope episode etc.

    Passionate for water types showing interest in various ones wanting to catch them, and deep romantic being dreamer finding fascinating concept of love.

    People say there was no chemistry between original trio in Johto? Well i strongly disagree with Misty colorful personality being on great part source of appeal and humor produced to their interactions.

    There was still arguing between her and Ash when battling for Totodile, in Whirl Cup, when they got lost or come late to catch boat or train(such as for example to travel to islands during Whirl arc). Granted there was less arguing between Ash and Misty, but she still teased Ash quite a lot being cynical about it.
    Loud arguing in Johto changed more in mocking and playful teasing with Ash usually answering back to provocations being enjoyable because you had two way interacting.However that not to say they never argued in Johto as well because there still existed tension and competitive fiery rivalry between two which can be noticed in several episodes when battling for Totodile, in Whirl Cup, when they got lost or come late to catch boat or train(such as for example to travel to islands during Whirl arc), when ASh commented on her being Gyarados by horoscope etc.

    As well there existing several memorable moments with Brock coming up with inciting remarks being annoyed when he had no tact toward girls, supporting him in his moments of love he felt toward various females like dr. Anna or that girl which wanted to marry him giving him advices and criticism.
    Showed curiosity in his knowledge he applied when taking care of pokemon like Sudowoodo, concern when he was suck in danger taking care of him or slapping him to get out of trans(such as when Ninetales hypnotized him9etc.

    Only change in her personality was that she gradually became less aggressive compared to Kanto days when mallet and logs were used being sign of development learning to be more mature and tolerant. Something i view as good thing because it made character more competent and tough while still keeping her enjoyable traits being assertive as well spunky and vivid.

    If you ask me Misty interactions with Ash or Brock were just as fun as before only building up on established bond created in Kanto, with friendship becoming more profound along with interactions containing more mature spin to them reflecting how she was much more attached to her friends at that point being already familiar with their qualities and imperfections viewing them as her family.
    Hence being reason why she was so upset over leaving them at Johto end..

    I also noticed she battled more often than she did in Kanto using Poliwag line, Staryu and Corsola in several battles whether it was when battling other trainers or Team Rocket. She entered various competitions (like Seaking catching contest or Alto Mare race)displaying her skills as water trainer,. She also had great dynamic with several characters like fire trainer Egan , Sakura with connection of both having older sisters becoming good friends and rivals in a way,Andreas from Seaking tournament etc.
    Doing overall more than she did in first two regions. Contributing to resolution of plots in various episodes befriending Hoot Hoot finding way out of forest allowing them to reach Newbark city,took initiative in breaking Arbok mecha and save Pikachu and Togepi, borrowed Ash her water pokemon to enter fire distinguish competition, helped various characters like Tammy and Politoad to reestablish their friendship and bond.
    Etc, etc.

    I suppose main reason why this is overlooked is because Johto was longer than previous two regions, with increase of Misty focus not being notable and big enough compared to length of saga.

    But personally i enjoyed in Misty character there being fun, vivid and flamboyant but also more mature and independent growing out of sister shadow giving more depth and appeal in different, equally enjoyable light. While getting some valuable growth herself there having many memorable moments.
    Yup, I agree. That's the only person I disagree with when it comes to CyberCubed's flanderization chart. Poor Brock and TRio...imagine making some of the most like-able characters on the show into ones that are constantly neglected.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd March 2013 at 2:56 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I don't think the Anime is inherently bad but I feel that the writers can do far better with a little more effort in storytelling and plotting yet don't.
    Yeah. They can both create a good story and promote the games. I mean, just the fact that Pokemon are appearing is an advertisement per se.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I used to think the Pokemon anime was a good one...until they kept dragging it on and on for no reason. Now, it's just sad for me to see how it started, and how it will end up. I feel the show was a lot better in its earlier arcs than its latter ones. I've been through a re-run of the entire series, and the newer arcs just don't give me the excitement and happiness I have from watching the older arcs. It's a weird feeling.
    You aren't the only one to think that. I feel that the newer arcs are... less inspired. They may have added some surprises and new things, but they haven't had as much impact as past novelties.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    You aren't the only one to think that. I feel that the newer arcs are... less inspired. They may have added some surprises and new things, but they haven't had as much impact as past novelties.
    That's how I feel, too. I think it has more to do with the "same thing, different group" feeling I get from the newer arcs. I'll admit that the newer arcs definitely have some aspects in which they are better than the older arcs, but other than that, I feel like the anime's been dragged on far too long. I like the newer arcs in different ways, but I think that the anime itself is losing its appeal over time. Whether that has to do with the lack of change in areas people feel are vital, change in areas that people don't like, different tastes people have, or frustration that the show hasn't changed for the better to them, I cannot really say.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd March 2013 at 3:02 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Yeah. They can both create a good story and promote the games. I mean, just the fact that Pokemon are appearing is an advertisement per se.



    You aren't the only one to think that. I feel that the newer arcs are... less inspired. They may have added some surprises and new things, but they haven't had as much impact as past novelties.
    The problem is the anime has gone on 5 generations with the same plot of Ash collecting 8 badges every saga. Which is probably the reason it feels more repetitive now because we've seen the same thing for 5 series in a row.

    The only thing that really makes each saga different is whoever Ash's travel companions are, the Pokemon on the group at the time, and the rivals of each series. Other than some of the unique fillers or villains, its been the same formula since day 1.

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    I think that the Arbotank from Tank alot is the second stongest meki that Team Rocket had

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The problem is the anime has gone on 5 generations with the same plot of Ash collecting 8 badges every saga. Which is probably the reason it feels more repetitive now because we've seen the same thing for 5 series in a row.

    The only thing that really makes each saga different is whoever Ash's travel companions are, the Pokemon on the group at the time, and the rivals of each series. Other than some of the unique fillers or villains, its been the same formula since day 1.
    I know that, but I think that even if they change main character it will be always the same goal: collect badges and win the League. Unless they'll change this route in the games, they will show us the same thing over and over and over.

    Besides, remember that at this point we shouldn't even be watching the anime. What is a repetitive thing for us, it's a "new" concept for the newer generations. I guess that's what matter to them.

    However, Ash's goal can be put on the background and the writers can focus more on the other goals. In that way, they keep promoting the games, while giving a more original and exclusive story.

    I don't think they will try something like that, but I believe that if they really want they can do that.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Drangleic
    Posts
    8,955

    Default

    Or they could make Ash competent and scrap all the fluff distracting him. AKA his sidekicks and everythint they do.

    I suppose its unpopular. I want him to be a lone wolf.

  18. #343
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The problem is the anime has gone on 5 generations with the same plot of Ash collecting 8 badges every saga. Which is probably the reason it feels more repetitive now because we've seen the same thing for 5 series in a row.

    The only thing that really makes each saga different is whoever Ash's travel companions are, the Pokemon on the group at the time, and the rivals of each series. Other than some of the unique fillers or villains, its been the same formula since day 1.
    Yeah, that's exactly it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Besides, remember that at this point we shouldn't even be watching the anime. What is a repetitive thing for us, it's a "new" concept for the newer generations. I guess that's what matter to them.
    That's the sad truth about the series.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd March 2013 at 5:10 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

  19. #344
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The problem is the anime has gone on 5 generations with the same plot of Ash collecting 8 badges every saga. Which is probably the reason it feels more repetitive now because we've seen the same thing for 5 series in a row.

    The only thing that really makes each saga different is whoever Ash's travel companions are, the Pokemon on the group at the time, and the rivals of each series. Other than some of the unique fillers or villains, its been the same formula since day 1.
    For the newer fans, Satoshi isn't an older character. The writers care aout the children who watch the series during 2-3 years, not to the small % of fandom that cares about quality and want to see progress on Satoshi's character.

    You must know that if you want to continue watching the show, Satoshi and Piakchu are going to do another badge quest to promote another gen for new kids.

    Scott, an advice If you feel that the anime is too repetitive, don't watch Pokemon and don't post in Pokemon forums. I know that the anime is repetitive for people who watch the series for many years but that doesn't mean that Satoshi will leave soon because we aren't the target audience.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 2nd March 2013 at 5:15 PM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm


    Serebii, Bulbagarden

    Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

    I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.


  20. #345
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    For the newer fans, Satoshi isn't an older character. The writers care aout the children who watch the series during 2-3 years, not to the small % of fandom that cares about quality and want to see progress on Satoshi's character.

    You must know that if you want to continue watching the show, Satoshi and Piakchu are going to do another badge quest to promote another gen for new kids.
    It's true, but it's pretty disappointing at the same time. Eventually, the older fans who want to see more good come out of the series will out grow the number of younger kids that watch the series if this pattern continues. That's the flaw I see down the road if this keeps up with Ash/Satoshi and Pikachu.

    I still like the series myself, but I can see it's not as fresh as it once was to the older fans (which, of course, makes sense since children are the target demographic). I've also felt it's lacking in the emotional moment area in recent years. Sure, some events like Dawn's goodbye in "Memories are Made of Bliss!" are genuine, but others fall flat these days in a lot of ways their predecessors really didn't.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd March 2013 at 5:16 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

  21. #346
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,968

    Default

    -I hate this notion that a badass, smart main character from the get-go is inherently bad. Like most things, it depends on the writing.

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly it.


    That's the sad truth about the series.
    I don't see what's so "sad" about it. No matter what writers do(Not only for Pokemon), they are going to face "criticism", due the the fact no show can appeal to every single person, even within the fanbase of a show.

    Any time a show goes on for a while it's going to face the inevitable, people will start complaining, the show's going to start dieing, some shows die slowly others don't last much longer after a certain point, Pokemon is of the former.

    With Pokemon, there really is nothing the writers can do that's going to change anything, it has nothing to do with the show though, people just are going to always complain, and what's the real sad truth is that it gets out of hand far too much far too often(Again, not only for Pokemon, I've seen this kind of stuff happen with every show I watch and look at discusses of).

    With other shows, they replace main characters, but then people complain about these new main characters. Pokemon keeps Ash, people complain about that, there's no doubt in my mind that if the writers ever do consider changing Ash for someone new it's just going to cause a new complaint to come into the picture, and this really isn't something that hasn't already happened with Pokemon, they might not replace Ash but they have replaces members of the main cast before, and people complain about it.

    As for plots, if a show follows the same plots throughout, reusing them and all that, people complain. If a show tries something new, people complain and say how it's too different now and not like the original. To me, Pokemon has down a mix of this, they reuse plots but they also do new things all the time, of course it still leads to complaints.

    No matter what, all shows are doomed to getting this kind of complaining whenever it reaches a certain point(And even shows that don't go on for a long time will get some kind of complaint anyways, usually "It's a ripoff of *enter show here*"), there really is no type of show that's excluded from it either, even cartoons with no real overall plot get the same complaints.

    With 7 billion people in the world, it's just not possible for a show to ever be created that wont end up being complained about, writers know this and they aren't going to even try to bother with it. Instead, writers create a show that they believe will appeal to a large group of people(And to make sure it does, they pick a demographic to appeal to, although generally they'll try to throw in a little something for everyone).

    Pokemon wants to create a show that's enjoyable, they don't care to make the world's greatest story ever written, they want to create something that can be loved throughout the years. If they were to just focus on the original fanbase they'd likely end up dieing much sooner, people will grow tired of shows regardless of what they do, trying to get new people all the time is more wise for long running shows, it's more reliable. And it's not like the original fanbase are completely out of the writers minds, they aren't priority number one but regardless, keeping Ash is a form of nostalgia, reusing plots is a form of nostalgia, past characters cameos is a form of nostalgia, there's plenty in the show that can be seen as nostalgia, obviously it's not going to imply to everyone, but not everyone is so critical on shows.

    In the end, it really doesn't matter what the writers do, people are always going to complain no matter what, Pokemon is still very popular to this day(Whether it's as popular as before or not is irrelevant, plenty of things die over time as I mentioned), the writers are doing a good enough job to keep Pokemon going, if they weren't it'd be canceled by now.

    For me, I have been watching Pokemon since the start, I haven't always kept up with it(More of the issue of getting the time to watch the episodes every week, it's easier now), but I've watched every series of it thus far, and I still enjoy it to this day. I always anticipate each week for the new episode, and I'm sure I'll continue to do as such for as long as Pokemon goes or(Or as long as I live, whichever comes first). Pokemon is one of my favorite shows, and again, I'm sure it'll be as such forever. I don't think that's really "unpopular", since I'm fairly certain plenty of people enjoy the show a lot as well; some more; some less, but I have a hard time seeing any opinion/perspective on the show as "unpopular", it has too large of a fanbase for such a case.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

  23. #348
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    @ Terminus w/Daryl
    Posts
    41,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I find Piplup cute. It's round head. Proud personality.
    I just realized that this also describes Oshawott. Why not become a member of his fanbase instead? Join us, OceanicLanturn.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Or they could make Ash competent and scrap all the fluff distracting him. AKA his sidekicks and everythint they do.

    I suppose its unpopular. I want him to be a lone wolf.
    Ash needs sidekicks though. I mean I don't particularly care for his currents ones, but I still think the show needs other characters to balance out Ash. I know I've complained about Ash getting too little screen-time in BW, but I never wanted the anime to focus solely on him; that would be really boring in my opinion. I just think Ash should take precedence over his companions, but that would be pointless unless Ash's personality changes again, which I desperately hope happens in the next saga 'cause BW Ash bores me.

  24. #349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    With other shows, they replace main characters, but then people complain about these new main characters. Pokemon keeps Ash, people complain about that, there's no doubt in my mind that if the writers ever do consider changing Ash for someone new it's just going to cause a new complaint to come into the picture, and this really isn't something that hasn't already happened with Pokemon, they might not replace Ash but they have replaces members of the main cast before, and people complain about it.
    I'm sure the main problem people have with Ash is that he as a character hasn't been handled well in recent years. I think most find his companions more interesting than him, which isn't a good thing for what is meant to be the central protagonist of the series.

    In the OS, he was hot-blooded, and that would often cause him to make mistakes. However, in AG, he became wiser, and acted as a mentor of sorts to May. Then he pretty much became static after that and was kinda boring.

    And then came BW. I'm sure most people will not deny it when I say that his character development went backwards. He made mistakes that he had absolutely no reason to make:

    He threw a Poké Ball at a Pokémon without weakening it, causing Iris to berate him for it - when he himself had berated May and Dawn when they did the same mistake.

    He went into Elesa's gym planning to one-shot it, only to get that plan blown up. After 40-something Gym Battles, surely he should know by this point that one-shotting a gym is nigh impossible?

    And I'm sure that there are more cases of the writers duct-taping the Idiot Ball onto Ash and degressing his character than what I put down, but it's almost as if everything he did prior to BW never happened, and he was starting out for the first time. I'm sure this, coupled with the fact that he isn't going to be a Master anytime soon is why most are asking for a new protagonist.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 2nd March 2013 at 9:19 PM.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  25. #350
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    I agree with the backwards development except VS Elesa though. It is possible to sweep a gym match, he did it before and so did Tobias. Ash just got over confident....although it was stupid to not bring anything besides Palpitoad and Pikachu




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •