Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    I don't see what's so "sad" about it. No matter what writers do(Not only for Pokemon), they are going to face "criticism", due the the fact no show can appeal to every single person, even within the fanbase of a show.

Any time a show goes on for a while it's going to face the inevitable, people will start complaining, the show's going to start dieing, some shows die slowly others don't last much longer after a certain point, Pokemon is of the former.

With Pokemon, there really is nothing the writers can do that's going to change anything, it has nothing to do with the show though, people just are going to always complain, and what's the real sad truth is that it gets out of hand far too much far too often(Again, not only for Pokemon, I've seen this kind of stuff happen with every show I watch and look at discusses of).

With other shows, they replace main characters, but then people complain about these new main characters. Pokemon keeps Ash, people complain about that, there's no doubt in my mind that if the writers ever do consider changing Ash for someone new it's just going to cause a new complaint to come into the picture, and this really isn't something that hasn't already happened with Pokemon, they might not replace Ash but they have replaces members of the main cast before, and people complain about it.

As for plots, if a show follows the same plots throughout, reusing them and all that, people complain. If a show tries something new, people complain and say how it's too different now and not like the original. To me, Pokemon has down a mix of this, they reuse plots but they also do new things all the time, of course it still leads to complaints.

No matter what, all shows are doomed to getting this kind of complaining whenever it reaches a certain point(And even shows that don't go on for a long time will get some kind of complaint anyways, usually "It's a ripoff of *enter show here*"), there really is no type of show that's excluded from it either, even cartoons with no real overall plot get the same complaints.

With 7 billion people in the world, it's just not possible for a show to ever be created that wont end up being complained about, writers know this and they aren't going to even try to bother with it. Instead, writers create a show that they believe will appeal to a large group of people(And to make sure it does, they pick a demographic to appeal to, although generally they'll try to throw in a little something for everyone).

Pokemon wants to create a show that's enjoyable, they don't care to make the world's greatest story ever written, they want to create something that can be loved throughout the years. If they were to just focus on the original fanbase they'd likely end up dieing much sooner, people will grow tired of shows regardless of what they do, trying to get new people all the time is more wise for long running shows, it's more reliable. And it's not like the original fanbase are completely out of the writers minds, they aren't priority number one but regardless, keeping Ash is a form of nostalgia, reusing plots is a form of nostalgia, past characters cameos is a form of nostalgia, there's plenty in the show that can be seen as nostalgia, obviously it's not going to imply to everyone, but not everyone is so critical on shows.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what the writers do, people are always going to complain no matter what, Pokemon is still very popular to this day(Whether it's as popular as before or not is irrelevant, plenty of things die over time as I mentioned), the writers are doing a good enough job to keep Pokemon going, if they weren't it'd be canceled by now.

For me, I have been watching Pokemon since the start, I haven't always kept up with it(More of the issue of getting the time to watch the episodes every week, it's easier now), but I've watched every series of it thus far, and I still enjoy it to this day. I always anticipate each week for the new episode, and I'm sure I'll continue to do as such for as long as Pokemon goes or(Or as long as I live, whichever comes first). Pokemon is one of my favorite shows, and again, I'm sure it'll be as such forever. I don't think that's really "unpopular", since I'm fairly certain plenty of people enjoy the show a lot as well; some more; some less, but I have a hard time seeing any opinion/perspective on the show as "unpopular", it has too large of a fanbase for such a case.
    I still like the show myself, but I feel it's just not as awesome as it used to be, that's all. I mean, sure, any series faces criticism over a long duration of time, and it does make sense that the creators will try to target the target demographic (children). That's understandable. It's that it hasn't really progressed over the years that I think many fans are saddened by. I guess we tend to want the series to evolve into something greater and something more powerful, when it really hasn't.

I have been watching since the start myself. Glad there are a few of us left here. I'm like you in that I don't watch every episode anymore, but I watch a few of them nowadays. I feel the earlier arcs have something much more genuine to them, though (it could be because I grew up with them, though).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 3rd March 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I just realized that this also describes Oshawott. Why not become a member of his fanbase instead? Join us, OceanicLanturn.

Ash needs sidekicks though. I mean I don't particularly care for his currents ones, but I still think the show needs other characters to balance out Ash. I know I've complained about Ash getting too little screen-time in BW, but I never wanted the anime to focus solely on him; that would be really boring in my opinion. I just think Ash should take precedence over his companions, but that would be pointless unless Ash's personality changes again, which I desperately hope happens in the next saga 'cause BW Ash bores me.
    He lacks the little cape.

I've lost faith in that after BW2 where iris stole all that precious training time ash needed for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    I agree with the backwards development except VS Elesa though. It is possible to sweep a gym match, he did it before and so did Tobias. Ash just got over confident....although it was stupid to not bring anything besides Palpitoad and Pikachu
    Tobiased only did so offscreen and with hax.

Also, which episode did he sweep a gym match in? And it still doesn't excuse the fact that he brought ONLY one Pokémon. And that over-confidence thing might have worked if this was OS Ash, but it's not. It's Ash who has over four regions' worth of experience. There is no excuse for that other than making him hold the Idiot Ball at gunpoint and then welding, supergluing and duct-taping it to his hands.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post

Also, which episode did he sweep a gym match in? And it still doesn't excuse the fact that he brought ONLY one Pokémon. And that over-confidence thing might have worked if this was OS Ash, but it's not. It's Ash who has over four regions' worth of experience. There is no excuse for that other than making him hold the Idiot Ball at gunpoint and then welding, supergluing and duct-taping it to his hands.
    People say Wake, but in reality Ash just had the brains to switch out after a pokemon got the win instead of making it fight a battle it had no chance of winning.

COUGH PIGNITE VS SAMUROTT COUGH COUGH

Here's one based on recent events, I don't understand why people make a big deal out of flashback episodes. Sure its nice for continuity but that's about it. The other thing is flashbacks have existed in the anime since day 1 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Here's one based on recent events, I don't understand why people make a big deal out of flashback episodes. Sure its nice for continuity but that's about it. The other thing is flashbacks have existed in the anime since day 1 anyway.
    Mostly because of continuity, as from what we've seen, people feel as if BW has been completely cut off from the rest of the series. Thankfully, season 2 changed that. Nostalgia might also play a role, since, based on recent events, we haven't got a flashback related to Kanto in a long time. And Misty is involved in that flashback and so are some other Charmander/Charizard episodes, so you can't really blame people for getting excited. The lone animation upgrade of the said scenes makes me excited, the scenes just look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post

Watson(which doesn't count really but worth a mention), and there were a few 2 on 2's that he won with one Pokémon taking out both. He almost did it with Misty (context context context). Then he did with Chuck and Roxanne. As said before, he won without losing a Pokémon against Wake. It's a sort of sweep, but it's still special because it NEVER happens besides that one time

Also, I still agreed with you. It was stupid to only have Palpitoad and Pikachu. What I'm saying is that was out of character and not thinking he could sweep

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Quote Originally Posted by Silicone View Post
    *I love Bianca to a fault(not sure if this is unpopular tho o3o )
    *I miss Jessie's Dustox and Arbok
    *I thought AG was the best
    *I loved contests
    *May was Ash's best companion
    *Max is adorable
    *I loved Harley
    *I hate all of Ash's bird pokemon besides Pidgeotto
    I agree with a lot of this, although I do like the Sinnoh and BW characters too. Aside from the Hoenn group getting a bit stale during Battle Frontier, it probably had the funniest dynamic. Only the Kanto portion of the original trio, (not the Johto portion), and early bits of the BW trio were as fun.

If Barry was part of the DP trio though, I think that might have been one of the best groups.

Let's just face it guys. This entire anime rarely does anything right, or compelling, or deep. It's so obviously geared toward 4-7 year olds that when deep or mature things happen, they make no significant changes to the overall dynamic and it just heads to the next episode like nothing ever happened. Some characters are treated well, others aren't. Some pokemon are treated well. And others are not. Some battles are exciting, but most are not.

I just get sick of the same thing over and over and over again and I wish the series would try something fresh. It's just too stale to watch anymore. Some of these episodes have less emotional depth than a McDonald's commercial.

I'm pretty sure that is the most unpopular opinion.

If there were a sense of an overall conflict 90% of the time, like the Team Galactic story-line (one of the only standout things about DP) but revved up like 500%, then the pokemon anime would become watchable again.
    Last edited by HokkaidoMaster; 4th March 2013 at 10:17 AM.

I agree with a lot of this, although I do like the Sinnoh and BW characters too. Aside from the Hoenn group getting a bit stale during Battle Frontier, it probably had the funniest dynamic. Only the Kanto portion of the original trio, (not the Johto portion), and early bits of the BW trio were as fun.
    I actually find original trio still had overall more engaging and fun dynamic than any other cast had. Hoenn was good and my second favorite group, but i enjoyed more in original group interactions with Ash naive, impulsive attitude, Misty wide range of emotions being hotheaded, snarky and vibrant having many quirks and interest being encompassed with Brock wise, eccentric and humorous personality playing of great. There was lot of cleverly designed humor, drama and spontaneous interactions going on between them both in Kanto and JOhto capturing emotions in unforced, genuine way.

Which came to expression even more in Johto building up on bond they created in Kanto becoming much closer to each other as friends, still involving lot of tension, comedy and alacrity in more subtle, lighthearted manner acting like group of comrades which passed through many things together growing attached to each other.

When i look back and see how much it was hard for them to leave each other in "Gotta Catch YA Later", moments of mutual instigating between Ash and Misty as well arguing at times, humorous interactions between Misty and Brock who used to pull her by ear or talking about love and Ash stupidity joking with him im not sure how can anyone try to deny chemistry they had there.

If Barry was part of the DP trio though, I think that might have been one of the best groups.
    I doubt, because unbalanced repartition of focus with most getting Dawn and Ash would mean his character ending neglected in similar manner like Brock was.

Although since he had more active goals i suppose writers could have fit him in more competitions and episodes where Ash or Dawn played some role, while increasing his spotlight through battling and training.

If the DP trio was actually Ash, Dawn and Barry, it probably would have been an enjoyable group, rather than being forgettable and uninteresting with Brock in there.

You can also tell how much better Dawn gets as a character when she has better characters to interact with. Dawn in BW2 had better interactions with Iris/Cilan than she had with Brock for 200 episodes.

I actually think the people who didn't like Dawn in the fandom is actually because of how dull the context of the DP trio was, not really the character herself.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    -I hate this notion that a badass, smart main character from the get-go is inherently bad. Like most things, it depends on the writing.
    That's true. Because in AG and Sinnoh, he was fine. But it depends on the writing and the other characters he interacts with. If not for that then he would feel as aweful like now in Best Wishes. Hoepfully that will change in the next season if they were to keep him. I don't know how worse he can get from here on out.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 6th March 2013 at 7:48 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    That's true. Because in AG and Sinnoh, he was fine. But it depends on the writing and the other characters he interacts with. If not for that then he would feel as aweful like now in BWest Wishes. Hoepfully that will change in the next season if they were to keep him. I don't know how worse he can get from here on out.
    He still relied overmuch on DEM in AG. He got somewhat better by BF though, tucker and brandon 3 excluded.

I don't see Iris as a Mary-Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    He still relied overmuch on DEM in AG. He got somewhat better by BF though, tucker and brandon 3 excluded.
    Yeah but it was better than it is now. Atleast back then his pokemon didn't need ot evolve in each gym just to win.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Yeah but it was better than it is now. Atleast back then his pokemon didn't need ot evolve in each gym just to win.
    I would rather have mid battle evos than thunder armor.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I would rather have mid battle evos than thunder armor.
    I'd rather have ANYTHING than Thunder Armor, from evolutions to attacks hitting Pokemon that should be immune to it, I'll take it over that.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I don't see Iris as a Mary-Sue.
    She's an almost perfect character with no flaws, supernatural abilities, an overpowered psuedo-legendary joined her roster which alone gives her the strongest pokemon any main cast member ever had, she is never called out for her mistakes (even Georgia called her out that she didn't win by skill, that her Dragonite did all the work), she is almost constantly looked upon for being gifted by both Cynthia and Drayden, and she's shown to one-up all the main characters who interact with her, (she beats Ash and Dawn in battle), and seemingly is traveling with Ash for no real reason.

DO I agree with everytime I typed? No, but I can see why other people feel this way. Her actual personality after that is really just similar to parts of Misty's and May's too.

She's an almost perfect character with no flaws, supernatural abilities, an overpowered psuedo-legendary joined her roster which alone gives her the strongest pokemon any main cast member ever had, she is never called out for her mistakes (even Georgia called her out that she didn't win by skill, that her Dragonite did all the work), she is almost constantly looked upon for being gifted by both Cynthia and Drayden, and she's shown to one-up all the main characters who interact with her, (she beats Ash and Dawn in battle), and seemingly is traveling with Ash for no real reason.

DO I agree with everytime I typed? No, but I can see why other people feel this way. Her actual personality after that is really just similar to parts of Misty's and May's too.
    She does have flaws, they're just more subtle and not in your face, unlike with some other characters. Pseudo-legendary status doesn't even matter in the anime, also, Togekiss just flat-out got handed to Dawn. If it was so strong, why couldn't it beat Ash and Krookodile? Brock traveled with Ash in DP for no real reason, and no one calls him a Sue. Iris is looked upon for being gifted, sure, but what about all the times Ash has been the "chosen one"?

Sorry, but the Mary-Sue is Cilan (and arguably Ash).

she is never called out for her mistakes (even Georgia called her out that she didn't win by skill, that her Dragonite did all the work
    This speaks for itself. :P

I agree with you partially because Iris is one my least favourite travelling companion. I liked her but her storyline has various issues that I don't like. My favourite list of companion is like this.
    1. Ash (DP)9,25, 1 Dawn. 9,25 3. Ash (AG) 8,75, 4. May 8,50, 5. Ash (OS)8, 5. Ash (BW) 8, 7. Team Rocket (OS) 8, 8 Misty 7,50 , 8 Brock (OS) 7,50, 10 Team Rocket (DP) 7,25,11. Cilan 7,25 11 Team Rocket (AG) 6,75, 11. Brock (AG) 6,75, 11. Max 6,5. 15. Iris. 6,5 16. Tracey.6,25 17. Brock (DP) 6, 18 Team Rocket (BW) 5,5.

And part of it it's caused by Iris' writing. Although I'll find interesting her stortyline, sometines it's really annoying. I don't know how part of it it's an unpopular opinion but many people will put the OS Trio at the Top or not put all the Ash placed together.

And I think that Iris is one of the worst character to have chemistry wirh Ash abd Cilan. And honestly, Iris and Dawn BFF relationship was crap. (Well, I love the episode but more because Dawn's bikini, Meloetta's transformation and Oshawott learning Hydro Pump, one of them don't really have anything will the show and the other are why the episode isn't filler).

I really liked Dawn's cameo but mainly because it's my favoutite travelling companion. But I have more a problem with her relationship with Iris than what number of pokemoin were showcased.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 4th March 2013 at 8:19 PM.

Wanting Bulbasaur to evolve :P (It got a crappy explanation for not evolving)
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    She does have flaws, they're just more subtle and not in your face, unlike with some other characters. Pseudo-legendary status doesn't even matter in the anime, also, Togekiss just flat-out got handed to Dawn. If it was so strong, why couldn't it beat Ash and Krookodile? Brock traveled with Ash in DP for no real reason, and no one calls him a Sue. Iris is looked upon for being gifted, sure, but what about all the times Ash has been the "chosen one"?
    People didn't like Togekiss either, but overall it did nothing. The only time it was used in a major battle was against Zoey in the GF where it lost. So overall Togekiss was pointless as it never did anything major for Dawn.

And honestly, this is Dragonite. Back in the beginning of the anime Dragonite was treated like an overpowered special Pokemon, (as seen in Bill's episode, and the Orange league Champion), and most people NEVER expected a Dragonite on a main cast member. The fact that instead of capturing a Dratini and raising it, she's given a fully evolved powerhouse right off the bat was a major issue. Even Ash would never be given a Pokemon like that, which shows how overpowered they tried to make Iris, probably to compensate for Axew not evolving.

Sorry, but the Mary-Sue is Cilan (and arguably Ash)
    This speaks for itself. :P
    LOL, the BW version of Ash has been losing and failing more than any other incarnation of Ash. If you compare Iris to the handling of the past main girls, she's basically treated as a prodigy right from the start. Even Misty was shown to be lackluster at battling at the beginning until she got better during mid-late Johto.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Wanting Bulbasaur to evolve :P (It got a crappy explanation for not evolving)
    When I was a kid I so wanted Bulbasaur to evolve. Squirtle as well.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    When I was a kid I so wanted Bulbasaur to evolve. Squirtle as well.
    I still don't care much for Squirtle, but Bulbasaur quickly became one of my favorites despite Ash's lack of using him over Charmander (till it evolved). Bulbasaur quickly took up the mantle and I thought it would be just like Charmander (so I thought it would evolve)
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I still don't care much for Squirtle, but Bulbasaur quickly became one of my favorites despite Ash's lack of using him over Charmander (till it evolved). Bulbasaur quickly took up the mantle and I thought it would be just like Charmander (so I thought it would evolve)
    Squirtle was the best of Ash's Kanto starters, shame the writers gave it the least screentime.

Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast