Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 1371

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Agreed. That really seems to be the case.
    He actually kept Foretress on his team from Johto all the way till the end of AG and I think it battled like twice in its entire run. That's like 350+ episodes of it doing nothing.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    He actually kept Foretress on his team from Johto all the way till the end of AG and I think it battled like twice in its entire run. That's like 350+ episodes of it doing nothing.
    You know what compared to that palpitoad got off easy

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Yeah, but Cilan wasn't in DP so they couldn't rely on him as a cook. They needed someone else in DP to cook if Brock wasn't there. I could actually see Barry as a cook for some reason. Brock had good battles and episodes in DP, I thought.
    Mainly what I was trying to get at was if Barry replaced Brock, then he likely wouldn't of had many good battles because Brock never really did
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    He actually kept Foretress on his team from Johto all the way till the end of AG and I think it battled like twice in its entire run. That's like 350+ episodes of it doing nothing.
    Talk about Pokemon neglect. XD.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,060

    Default

    Also Brock's Zubat/Golbat/Crobat was completely wasted and virtually served no purpose outside the eps it evolved in.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    I am moving up in the world!
    Posts
    4,379

    Default

    My biggest unpopular opinion is that I really miss the TRio of pre-Black and White. They were always my favorite characters, including Wobbuffet, even if they were rarely genuine threats. A Lean Mean Team Rocket Machine is still one of my all-time favorite episodes.

    I'm also a tremendous fan of Piplup and Oshawott (granted, the Oshawott fanbase is more balanced than the Piplup one, but I feel the two can be listed together). I do prefer Piplup to Oshawott, if only slightly.

    I didn't hate Trip and I outright loved Cameron.

    Lastly, I'm a full-supporter of Iris catching Dragonite in its fully-evolved and powerhouse state. It was extremely convenient to the plot, but it served extremely well in developing Iris as a Dragon Master.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

    harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

    Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    1,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Also Brock's Zubat/Golbat/Crobat was completely wasted and virtually served no purpose outside the eps it evolved in.
    I wouldn't say that. Sure Zubat was used a little bit in Indigo to help find Ash's pokemon or whatever it was they lost. Just before Goldbat evolved into Crobat as well like the 10 previous episodes there was a lot more apperances by Goldbat and even some battling for it. In Johto that was basically the only Pokemon Brock used.
    Ruby: 0/8
    Sapphire: 0/8
    Emerald: 7/8
    FireRed: 8/8
    LeafGreen: 6/8
    Diamond: 0/8
    Pearl: 0/8
    Platinum: 7/8
    HeartGold: 16/16 (350/493)
    SoulSilver: 9/16
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

    FC= 1121 0822 2345

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    My biggest unpopular opinion is that I really miss the TRio of pre-Black and White. They were always my favorite characters, including Wobbuffet, even if they were rarely genuine threats. A Lean Mean Team Rocket Machine is still one of my all-time favorite episodes.

    Lastly, I'm a full-supporter of Iris catching Dragonite in its fully-evolved and powerhouse state. It was extremely convenient to the plot, but it served extremely well in developing Iris as a Dragon Master.
    I don't think either of these is unpopular. I'm with you on both, so it could just be me.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I meant in terms of power. Not many can beat their evolved forms owned by an evil team commander.
    Which 1HKO'd Gary. :P

    Umm... more unpopular options:

    - I really dislike Battle Frontier in AG. It was just a 'buffed up' gym with nothing else. Oh yeah, and you have to yell to open the gate for the Battle -whatever-Greta's-facility-is-called. That's it. They were interesting and fresh and unique in the game, but the anime just toned them down into gym battles. It was a huge disappointment

    - I liked how Dawn got and never evolved Piplup. i like it. It's cute. Also, it's better to give cute marketable base evolutionary starters to the female trainers so Ash can actually evolve his Pokemon. This is why I love the DP team over BW Team by a large margin. Iris should've gotten Oshawott, lol.

    - Togekiss > Ambipom. I like Togekiss more, personally. It was just so much better than Ambipom, because it's so much more graceful and pretty. I like Ambipom, but it kept switching professions and that killed it for me. It was also too overused in the appeals round.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    - Togekiss > Ambipom. I like Togekiss more, personally. It was just so much better than Ambipom, because it's so much more graceful and pretty. I like Ambipom, but it kept switching professions and that killed it for me. It was also too overused in the appeals round.
    Is this really that unpopular? I completely agree with you on this one

  11. #236

    Default

    I hated how piplup and bulbasaur turned anti-evolution.
    And I never understood why snivy and oshawott didn't evolve yet. They don't have anything against their evolved forms.
    "My underrated tastes are no fun at all. However that's how I am. Peace."

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Which 1HKO'd Gary. :P

    Umm... more unpopular options:

    - I really dislike Battle Frontier in AG. It was just a 'buffed up' gym with nothing else. Oh yeah, and you have to yell to open the gate for the Battle -whatever-Greta's-facility-is-called. That's it. They were interesting and fresh and unique in the game, but the anime just toned them down into gym battles. It was a huge disappointment
    The Battle Frontier is also my least favorite part of AG in general. I felt it was analogous to the Orange Islands of the OS as an offshoot saga. The voice change in the dub was very jarring, so that didn't help this saga much in English, but even so it still felt out-of-place at time. To be fair, this arc is the culmination of Ash and the others' journey in AG, and Ash v. Brandon (3rd round) was an awesome battle to me and had a great outcome as well as May's Kanto Grand Festival, which was done well too. Other than that, the saga was alright but didn't "WOW!" me or excite me that much.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Mainly what I was trying to get at was if Barry replaced Brock, then he likely wouldn't of had many good battles because Brock never really did
    Well Barry's battles were all better than Brock's in his entire run, so we wouldn't have really known unless that had happened. But that has nothing to do with Brock being stale or not. He got stale back earlier too. So Barry would be a different feel to the group because he would be fresh to the show anyways.

    - I really dislike Battle Frontier in AG. It was just a 'buffed up' gym with nothing else. Oh yeah, and you have to yell to open the gate for the Battle -whatever-Greta's-facility-is-called. That's it. They were interesting and fresh and unique in the game, but the anime just toned them down into gym battles. It was a huge disappointment
    For a filler saga, I think it did much better than the Orange Islands atleast. It was better than him rechallenging the kanto gymleaders for the second time.

    - I liked how Dawn got and never evolved Piplup. i like it. It's cute. Also, it's better to give cute marketable base evolutionary starters to the female trainers so Ash can actually evolve his Pokemon. This is why I love the DP team over BW Team by a large margin. Iris should've gotten Oshawott, lol.
    I agree that Piplup is cute. But they over did it certain times. Just like they over did Pikachu at times as well. And Oshawott would have still been an Oshawott in Iris's hands as well. I mean look at her Pokemon.

    - Togekiss > Ambipom. I like Togekiss more, personally. It was just so much better than Ambipom, because it's so much more graceful and pretty. I like Ambipom, but it kept switching professions and that killed it for me. It was also too overused in the appeals round.
    I never liked it when it was in Ash's or dawn's hands. I only liked it when it was in normal or gymbattles. I do agree that Togekiss is better. But I wouldn't have mind if Dawn had caught a Togetic first since no one had ever (used) battled with on in the show before.

    I hated how piplup and bulbasaur turned anti-evolution.
    Probably because of their popular stages. Ivysaur is ugly and Kenny overused Prinplup so much that I didn't want to see her have one.

    The Battle Frontier is also my least favorite part of AG in general. I felt it was analogous to the Orange Islands of the OS as an offshoot saga. The voice change in the dub was very jarring, so that didn't help this saga much in English, but even so it still felt out-of-place at time. To be fair, this arc is the culmination of Ash and the others' journey in AG, and Ash v. Brandon (3rd round) was an awesome battle to me and had a great outcome as well as May's Kanto Grand Festival, which was done well too. Other than that, the saga was alright but didn't "WOW!" me or excite me that much.
    Other than the voices, the saga did pretty good as far as Ash's and May's quests were.

    My ideal battle ever!

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    dawn should have just caught the evil togepi and have it pull a Charizard by evolving fully in the blink of an eye.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knux-the-killer View Post
    I hated how piplup and bulbasaur turned anti-evolution.
    And I never understood why snivy and oshawott didn't evolve yet. They don't have anything against their evolved forms.
    Oshawott should be fairly obvious... He's adored by everyone who lives in Japan
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Oshawott should be fairly obvious... He's adored by everyone who lives in Japan
    I thought Piplup merchandises sold better?

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,778

    Default

    Even more unpopular stuff to say.
    22:In addition to everyone talking about the flaws of BF, The group was slowly losing it's appeal that made the AG cast so well. May felt tacked on and forced into the group in BF to the point where it felt like she couldn't wait to leave the main cast by the end of BF to go with Drew and Harley. Brock and Max, to me, it felt like they were running out of topics to talk about when Ash or May were doing there thing. A preview of Brock's future in DP really, and the group overall just felt like they were killing time between main plots but didn't mesh as well as they before in Hoenn.
    23: If it was done right I think Ash's generation could all have ended in gen 2 or even gen 1 if the Orange Island league was redone in a way that focused on Ash becoming a experienced Pokemon trainer. It was the region he defeated a Dragonite, which at the time was equal to beating a true Legendary Pokemon, so if the writers really tried I personally think they could have ended Ash in Gen 1 and have him appear as a Pokemon Master in gen 2 aka like game Red. This way gen 3 and beyond could be new stuff. Another highly unpopular opinion that many will disagree with me on.
    24: Paul, while he is my favorite character in the series so far, is actually really flat when interacting with any other character who isn't his main rival. Really it's the way he trains his Pokemon, the smarts he uses, and the attitude that I like about him, not so much his interactions with anyone.
    25: Playing off number 24, I think Paul's character could have worked for any main character as a rival because while he had really great character traits, he was simply designed to be the anti-Ash as a trainer. They could have made Paul a anti-water trainer and be Misty's sworn enemy, or a anti-breeder and so on and it would have worked just as easily. It's because of how Paul was built which is why I felt his interactions with others besides Ash felt boring. He had moments with other characters but overall it's Paul's biggest weakness and flaw. Which is why he's a rival for one character rather then a main character. Not sure if this is unpopular or not. It is what it is. Nobody ever really mentions it so I don't know.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  18. #243
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I thought Piplup merchandises sold better?
    Does not ignore that fact that this happened

        Spoiler:- I would use this to be honest:
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Well Barry's battles were all better than Brock's in his entire run, so we wouldn't have really known unless that had happened. But that has nothing to do with Brock being stale or not. He got stale back earlier too. So Barry would be a different feel to the group because he would be fresh to the show anyways.
    Eh if you ask me Brock had some very memorable battles too imo, which
    were even better than what we saw with Barry.
    For example i enjoyed in his battle against Lola in chronicles when Onix used dig to get rid of water and leave Mantine on dry defeating it. When he battled Jessie and James in Pewter gym with Steelix showing to have some really cool moves against Charizard or Aggron.

    I also enjoyed in his performance during Hearthome tag battle, especially against Paul Torterra using clever strategy through brick break.

    As far as Brock as character goes, personally i never found him stale liking his eccentric and humorous attitude while balancing his quirks out through wise and mature approach being like older brother to others.
    He was fun as screen time goes until DP for me too, where writers didn't do justice to his character in his last saga as main.

    Although it would be understatement to say he didn't had his moments there, and when he did he usually came if as highly enjoyable and distinct character in my opinion.

    Other than the voices, the saga did pretty good as far as Ash's and May's quests were.
    Personally i thought BF suffered from too many contrived and poorly written battles with most Ash and May fluke wins coming from this saga. Main cast in general felt like it started to run out of its steam being bland and fairly forgettable at times along with whole Frontier brain quest being rushed and adversely executed.

    Speaking of AG saga in general i always thought Hoenn was much more engaging and rakish as far as series appeal goes.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    This is one I've been meaning to say for a while.

    I did not care for the majority of on-screen training in DP and I'm glad BW has rid itself of pointless training episodes.

    To explain it, in DP we got some very boring training episodes quite often and training scenes. The Dawn-Ice Chandelier episode, the Cyndaquil/Mamoswine Double Battle training, an innumerable amount of Ash training scenes. Honestly, training is something that offers little to no entertainment in DP. If you're going to make training episode, said training episode should at least be entertaining or somewhat interesting. For examples, in BW, I really enjoyed the training episode with Brycen/Krokorok and Oshawott/Ash, it was entertaining, it wasn't drug out throughout the whole episode and we got more visible payoff after it all done. Said payoff being Oshawott managing to learn to battle without his scalchop(Which the Cheren debut ignored for some reason.) and Brycen debut and inevitable rivalry being set up between Krokorok and Beartic. Some amusing antics to boot.

    Another one that sticks out is the episode where Cyndaquil/Skarmory battled in Johto, it was actual entertaining training, Cyndaquil got a win, and it learned to ignite its flame and get angry easily. In DP it honestly felt like the vast majority of on-screen training was fluff and the writers just putting it in there because they don't feel like constructing anything else and there was rarely any actual non-subtle benefit to this training. I'd say more than anything else on-screen training on constant amounts of episodes is more of for "reassurance" for some. Yes. Ash is working with Pikachu. Yes. Ash is training Chimchar. Yes. Ash's Aipom has gotten faster with using Double Team. Yes. Yes. Yes. Dawn is working on a new type of Ice-type/Bubble appeal. It was just so meh.

    I'm fairly certain TP(s)TB want the audience to assume Ash is doing the majority of his training off-screen in BW. We get quick scenes of Ash, Iris, and Cilan training often, unlike in OS, but more like AG-style. That's all we really need to see if there isn't gonna be any sort of profit at the end, we can easily surmise it's happening off-screen in any case. The DP training was especially worthless in my eyes when we didn't even get a battle or entertaining battle in the training episode.

    Ash trained Swellow throughout a series of episodes to master Aerial Ace, same with Skitty and Blizzard, we didn't get long drawn out boring episodes of them doing this. We got snappy scenes, it reminds me almost completely of Axew's Dragon Rage and Oshawott's Aqua Jet. And later on...ta-da! These Pokemon mastered their moves during moments where they counted and where the steaks were high and non-Deus Ex Machina-like ways. We knew May was training her Bulbasaur and she revealed her new Petal Dance in the Armaldo episode, the only thing wrong with that in my eyes was it might have been more satisfying to get a little foreshadowing before hand and it was better than Bulbasaur showing up with the move. Though DP did have some amusing training at times, the Buizel Ice Punch episode comes to mind, despite the fact Buizel one-shotting a hard-trained Mr.Mime was forced. And iirc this was the point where Buizel's unofficial losing streak sorta started to go away and the COTD was somewhat fun. Though in-comparison to a BW training episode I thought it had a bit more to be desired.

    Overall I don't find constant, pointless especially, on-screen training to be a necessity unless it can be engrossing to watch.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 24th February 2013 at 4:56 AM.

  21. #246
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Eh if you ask me Brock had some very memorable battles too imo, which
    were even better than what we saw with Barry.
    For example i enjoyed in his battle against Lola in chronicles when Onix used dig to get rid of water and leave Mantine on dry defeating it. When he battled Jessie and James in Pewter gym with Steelix showing to have some really cool moves against Charizard or Aggron.

    I also enjoyed in his performance during Hearthome tag battle, especially against Paul Torterra using clever strategy through brick break.

    As far as Brock as character goes, personally i never found him stale liking his eccentric and humorous attitude while balancing his quirks out through wise and mature approach being like older brother to others.
    He was fun as screen time goes until DP for me too, where writers didn't do justice to his character in his last saga as main.

    Although it would be understatement to say he didn't had his moments there, and when he did he usually came if as highly enjoyable and distinct character in my opinion.



    Personally i thought BF suffered from too many contrived and poorly written battles with most Ash and May fluke wins coming from this saga. Main cast in general felt like it started to run out of its steam being bland and fairly forgettable at times along with whole Frontier brain quest being rushed and adversely executed.

    Speaking of AG saga in general i always thought Hoenn was much more engaging and rakish as far as series appeal goes.
    I completely agree. Hoenn was better than BF to me, and DP Brock was actually only really stale to me because he got such little screen-time. I didn't like the Croagunk poison-jab thing much, either.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    This is one I've been meaning to say for a while.

    I did not care for the majority of on-screen training in DP and I'm glad BW has rid itself of pointless training episodes.

    To explain it, in DP we got some very boring training episodes quite often and training scenes. The Dawn-Ice Chandelier episode, the Cyndaquil/Mamoswine Double Battle training, an innumerable amount of Ash training scenes. Honestly, training is something that offers little to no entertainment in DP. If you're going to make training episode, said training episode should at least be entertaining or somewhat interesting. For examples, in BW, I really enjoyed the training episode with Brycen/Krokorok and Oshawott/Ash, it was entertaining, it wasn't drug out throughout the whole episode and we got more visible payoff after it all done. Said payoff being Oshawott managing to learn to battle without his scalchop(Which the Cheren debut ignored for some reason.) and Brycen debut and inevitable rivalry being set up between Krokorok and Beartic. Some amusing antics to boot.

    Another one that sticks out is the episode where Cyndaquil/Skarmory battled in Johto, it was actual entertaining training, Cyndaquil got a win, and it learned to ignite its flame and get angry easily. In DP it honestly felt like the vast majority of on-screen training was fluff and the writers just putting it in there because they don't feel like constructing anything else and there was rarely any actual non-subtle benefit to this training. I'd say more than anything else on-screen training on constant amounts of episodes is more of for "reassurance" for some. Yes. Ash is working with Pikachu. Yes. Ash is training Chimchar. Yes. Ash's Aipom has gotten faster with using Double Team. Yes. Yes. Yes. Dawn is working on a new type of Ice-type/Bubble appeal. It was just so meh.

    I'm fairly certain TP(s)TB want the audience to assume Ash is doing his majority of training off-screen in BW. We get quick scenes of Ash, Iris, and Cilan training often, unlike in OS, but more like AG-style. That's all we really need to see if there isn't gonna be any sort of profit at the end, we can easily surmise it's happening off-screen in any case. The DP training was especially worthless in my eyes when we didn't even get a battle or entertaining battle in the training episode.

    Ash trained Swellow throughout a series of episodes to master Aerial Ace, same with Skitty and Blizzard, we didn't get long drawn out boring episodes of them doing this. We got snappy scenes, it reminds me almost completely of Axew's Dragon Rage and Oshawott's Aqua Jet. And later on...ta-da! These Pokemon mastered their moves during moments where they counted and where the steaks were high and non-Deus Ex Machina-like ways. We knew May was training her Bulbasaur and she revealed her new Petal Dance in the Armaldo episode, the only thing wrong with that in my eyes was it might have been more satisfying to get a little foreshadowing before hand and it was better than Bulbasaur showing up with the move. Though DP did have some amusing training at times, the Buizel Ice Punch episode comes to mind, despite the fact Buizel one-shotting a hard-trained Mr.Mime was forced. And iirc this was the point where Buizel's unofficial losing streak sorta started to go away and the COTD was somewhat fun. Though in-comparison to a BW training episode I thought it had a bit more to be desired.

    Overall I don't find constant, pointless especially, on-screen training to be a necessity unless it can be engrossing to watch.
    But fans will complain since they think that non-onscreen stuff = did not happen! XD

    I'm glad they're not putting DP oriented style training into BW. Oshawott vs Herdier was a perfect example of an episode wasted (if the DP style training episode turned out to be true) and later we would realise it's a waste of time since Oshawott forgot how to fight with it, anyways! Also, the reason why they're putting in training episodes in DP is probably due to the fact that Ash actually uses complex combination rather than the simple combinations we get in BW. Also, Iris and Cilan don't have contests, while Dawn is more creative than May in cooking up combinations.

    I was kinda pissed when Oshawott forgot how to fight without his scalchop. He's more forgetful than Ash =.=

    @Joltik

    Let's see if Oshawott appears in XY's merchandises
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 24th February 2013 at 3:17 AM.

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,507

    Default

    Oshawot will most definitely appear on merch in gen 6.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    But fans will complain since they think that non-onscreen stuff = did not happen! XD

    I'm glad they're not putting DP oriented style training into BW. Oshawott vs Herdier was a perfect example of an episode wasted (if the DP style training episode turned out to be true) and later we would realise it's a waste of time since Oshawott forgot how to fight with it, anyways! Also, the reason why they're putting in training episodes in DP is probably due to the fact that Ash actually uses complex combination rather than the simple combinations we get in BW. Also, Iris and Cilan don't have contests, while Dawn is more creative than May in cooking up combinations.

    I was kinda pissed when Oshawott forgot how to fight without his scalchop. He's more forgetful than Ash =.=

    @Joltik

    Let's see if Oshawott appears in XY's merchandises
    75% of Dawn´s appeals were made by the Pokéball´s seal and she only used ONE appeal of all the ones she practiced, May planned her appeals from scratch and what people call "Mary Sue" or "Deus Ex Machina" I call it "thinking fast".

    Anyway, another unpopular opinions:
    - Arbok and Weezing shouldn´t be released: Yes, the AG poacher episode was one of the best TR episodes to date but Arbok and Weezing were better signature Pokémon for Jessie and James than crappy Mime Jr. and useless Wobbufet.
    - Team Aqua and Team Magma > Team Galactic: The only thing I didn´t like about TA & TM was the conclusion, it would be better if Ash & Friends just went to the Sky Pillar to awake Rayquaza like in the games but Team Galactic was just meh like all DP series was.
    - Dawn´s cameo lasted too much: People complains because Dawn didn´t swept the Junior Cup and Alder, became the new Unova Champion and showing off all the attacks her Pokémon knows just for being in a cameo, but I think it was just fair, Misty only showed her Judy Jetson outfit and Gyarados in her cameo, half of May´s team was just showed in one-shots, in that case, her cameo lasted for too long and she hasn´t a reason to take part in the Junior Cup, it would be better if she was part of a "Sinnoh fair" or something like that.
    - Brock without Misty was even more stale: Misty and Brock were a package, Misty was the fists and Brock was the "brain" (he didn´t showed all his supposed knowledge in battle) and it didn´t felt the same chemistry with May, Max or Dawn, that´s why I hope Iris and Cilan leaves at the same time, they complete themselves.
    - May has too much evolutions: Wartotle was awesome, it´s one of my favorites, Glaceon rocks and suits perfectly to May, but I always thought that Torchic at least needed a contest loss/victory before it evolved like crazy, I actually think that Blaziken (yeah, sue me) and Venusaur weren´t necessary (mainly Venusaur because I liked the couple with Ash´s Bulbasaur :3), in that case, I would prefered Delcatty and Snorlax over Blaziken and Venusaur, or a random Johto capture.
    Last edited by Squirtle_007; 24th February 2013 at 4:43 AM.

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    But fans will complain since they think that non-onscreen stuff = did not happen! XD

    I'm glad they're not putting DP oriented style training into BW. Oshawott vs Herdier was a perfect example of an episode wasted (if the DP style training episode turned out to be true) and later we would realise it's a waste of time since Oshawott forgot how to fight with it, anyways! Also, the reason why they're putting in training episodes in DP is probably due to the fact that Ash actually uses complex combination rather than the simple combinations we get in BW. Also, Iris and Cilan don't have contests, while Dawn is more creative than May in cooking up combinations.

    I was kinda pissed when Oshawott forgot how to fight without his scalchop. He's more forgetful than Ash =.=

    @Joltik

    Let's see if Oshawott appears in XY's merchandises
    Well, when something like Axew's Outrage happens out of nowhere and it's handwaved as "it happened off screen," forgive me if I show little emotion investment in it if any.

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •