Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I don't know if "bad writing" counts as a fan term though. And honestly, most of the people who use it (like my good sis Platinum fan.) use it in the correct context anyway with receipts and explanations.
    That´s why I completed the sentence with "... trying to look smart".

And being "bad writing" a totally subjective concept based in personal biased thoughts that won´t ever be exactly the same as the person next to you makes it a fan term.

I wasn't going to address the fan term "bad writing" but I already knew that "trying to look smart" comment was directed at me. But my name is here so why not? First of all I wasn't trying to look smart or cool. I really don't care if people don't like my opinions on Unova, that's why they are my opinions. I simply think BW's era is a string of badly written material, the writers running out of ideas so they try and rehash OS, and bring in popular Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo.

If people want me to stop saying BW is "Bad Writing" well when the region does something actually good then I'll give credit where it's due. I call every region and every character out on their flaws, even DP. It's my opinion, I'm not trying to look smart or cool, and if anyone has a problem with it then by all means call me out on it. There's two changes. Good change and bad change. BW in my opinion is bad change and if that is a unpopular opinion then guess what? I'm going to say it a lot more on this unpopular opinion thread.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

*tense moment*

Ciccone, my heart only belongs to the one and only Piplup and Oshawott doesn't have the cute cape. And it doesn't have a beak. I'll still join, but my heart shall always belong to Piplup and Dawn, of course, my hugest fan bias.

Well, here's an unpopular opinion of mine
    - DP Brock wasn't really THAT bad. He wasn't as faded into the background as most people say.
    - May probably has the worst chance of a 2nd 'cameo': I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but Misty appeared in a flashback, so I think it's safe to presume that more Pokegirls will appear. I think Dawn might appear since Piplup merchandises is happening in the next couple of months. I have to voice that May has probably the worst chance of re-appearing if they don't follow a 'pattern'. She isn't the original, nor does she have a cute pokemon with humongous fanbase merchandise. Iris might fall into that pit soon, but she still has her first chance.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Yeah, ditto. I mean there are awesome people like you, Cyber, MarioLuigiFan, Power of Pika who can understand differing opinions. It's the other half over there that's always averse to opinions that aren't shared with them. Honestly that half of the community over there just bugs me for some reason.
    Though I find Shinneth's BW rage entertaining. I often suggest that she make a parody all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Well that's because DP and Best Wishes are total opposites as series in terms of what happened in them. So its logical that the people who really liked DP wouldn't like BW much, and just the opposite being the people who love BW not care for DP.

The contrast between the two is like night and day.
    I like them both, but I like DP better because it had more stuff in it (contests, the leagues were more exciting, and they had the second best TRio oh and Team Galactic is the main reason I wanted to watch it anyway).

However, I also like BW as well. And it might get even better.
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Scrimbird View Post
    - I miss the sad episodes. A lot. In the first season, it was so emotional. I'd like to see something like one of Ash's pokemon get hurts badly in a battle, and for a lot of episode, we see him training to be able to fight again (what he do in the league to help Ash win against a rival, but with a lot of difficulty). With a lot of emotional episodes.
    I like sad episodes too. A story should try to evoke a variety of emotions. Sadness makes happiness seem that much happier.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

That reminds me, is liking the dub better an unpopular opinion?
    岩根雅明=♡

Well that's because DP and Best Wishes are total opposites as series in terms of what happened in them. So its logical that the people who really liked DP wouldn't like BW much, and just the opposite being the people who love BW not care for DP.

The contrast between the two is like night and day.
    Oh Cyber, don't you know that you don't have to like DP in order not to like the crappy writing of BW? It is opposites but not for the reasons you just mentioned.

Don't see the problem tbh. Dawn wasn't overshadowed and showed off her Contest talents in her return episode, forged a friendship with Iris, got to have a battle with Ash in a friendship departure like deal, and at least got to return to the show. Though I think Dawn not doing anything important had more to do with a lack of Contest in Unova, her return felt pointless and honestly it felt a bit OOC for her to come all the way to Unova for a small 16-person battle tournament of all things. May's motives for coming to Sinnoh for the Wallace Cup and to earn the Aqua Ribbon made more sense to me because said ribbon can be used to enter any Grand Festival in any region. Unova's lack of Contest probably hurt her a bit, it also reminded me of how much Dawn's character relies on Contest for importance. Plus at least Dawn got her own DP Special during early DP, which is more than what Misty and May got. Dragonite beating Dawn reminded me of Dawn beating May, I doubt the writers would have her beat two main girls. Though May had the benefit of getting a killer win off of Dawn's main rival, Zoey who beat Ash, Nando, and Dawn her whole run, before she got taken down.
    I'm so glad someone is listing the good things Dawn did accomplish in her cameo instead of complaining what she didn't do. I mena she already had most of DP focused on her. There was no reason for her to be focused so much in BW as well when Iris and the others are Best Wishes characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I wasn't going to address the fan term "bad writing" but I already knew that "trying to look smart" comment was directed at me. But my name is here so why not? First of all I wasn't trying to look smart or cool. I really don't care if people don't like my opinions on Unova, that's why they are my opinions. I simply think BW's era is a string of badly written material, the writers running out of ideas so they try and rehash OS, and bring in popular Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo.

If people want me to stop saying BW is "Bad Writing" well when the region does something actually good then I'll give credit where it's due. I call every region and every character out on their flaws, even DP. It's my opinion, I'm not trying to look smart or cool, and if anyone has a problem with it then by all means call me out on it. There's two changes. Good change and bad change. BW in my opinion is bad change and if that is a unpopular opinion then guess what? I'm going to say it a lot more on this unpopular opinion thread.
    This should be your sig from now on.

Well, here's an unpopular opinion of mine
    - DP Brock wasn't really THAT bad. He wasn't as faded into the background as most people say.
    You're right. Hoenn and Johto Brock was just as faded.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 6th March 2013 at 5:40 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    inb4 dwail rant

I agree with caseydia. There's no need to like DP to dislike BW. But for some reason BW fans think think they have an obligation to bash DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    What dub? /makes a question thaty has an answer already since I know it.

Dunno I just watch in Japanese but people around here use the English names so I assume they watch the dubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post

Dunno I just watch in Japanese but people around here use the English names so I assume they watch the dubs.
    The English dub. The reason I ask is because I see alot of people complain about how the English dub sucks. I know it's their opinion and I respect it, however I wonder how people would react if I said I liked the English dub better.... (plus the majority of those people couuuld be japanese or have roots or they can speak it, but so can I)
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    IMO, half the people in Bulbagarden are mindless drones who literally control the Pokemon fandom's opinions on matters (regardless of whether or not we actually agree with them), love Sinnoh to death and would probably sleep with it if they had the chance, think the JPN version of the show is god and must be strictly adhered to at all costs or the dub will suck with 0.01 percent changes, BW is a tragedy because everything isn't mad boring and Ash isn't a dull genius battler, Johto sucked even though they have a double standard, and Sinnoh has just as many pointless fillers that are definitely just as (if not more), boring.
    Now that you mentioned there is lot of truth in this. On bulbagarden there usually prevails highly skeptic and negative environment with certain fans tending to be antediluvian, acting like their opinion is "the only right one". As well being quite narrow minded toward new ideas or return of older characters/pokemon viewing everything older as "inferior" compared to new one(typical argument to novelty;aka logical fallacy) with there existing lot of bias toward DP.

But than again every site has its flaws and those kind of fans.

I'm also one of those people who found Totodile's dancing a bit dull, I would have rathered Misty just get Totodile and Ash keep Squirtle a little longer. The mere fact that Misty never got Totodile means she's the only one of the original 3 girls who never had a starter pokemon.
    Agreed, like i said many times in past i always thought Misty getting Totodile would have worked out better in long run. She was clearly heat up to get him with his hyper nature seeming like it would fit with Misty character too, and having one of starters would mean higher marketing value and possibly more focus for character which is always a plus. IN alignment to that she seemed more knowledgeable about water types and looking back her pokemon like Poliwhirl and Corsola got overall better treatment and more "moments of glory"than Totodile under Ash custody did.

If anything at gym he would be more trained and used in battles increasing chances to evolve, as opposite to rotting at Oaks lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post

You're right. Hoenn and Johto Brock was just as faded.
    I have to respectively disagree. Brock felt much more as part of group in Johto and Hoenn than it was case with DP. He had memorable moments with Misty with both being romantic souls talking about romance or Ash stupidity. Helped Ash about gym battles giving him advices at times, or acting like sparing partner helping him to train pokemon like Torkoal. Had amusing moments with May doing her company getting into clash sometime and aside from obsession over girls showed various other qualities taking care of pokemon, applying his knowledge about healing and raising pokemon and entering quite a few competitions. Such as balloon race, breeding contest he entered with Suzie, pokemon orienteering in BF, contest where he battled May, tag battle to save Pewter etc.

In comparison he and Dawn barely had any chemistry going between them feeling more like strangers than friends, with overwhelming screen time Dawn and Ash received compared to his causing discrepancy and unbalanced interactions among cast causing poor Brock to be often excluded, left out in there. That said when he got chance to shine in Sinnoh he usually came if as highly entertaining character being irrational, funny, and caring putting lot of effort into pokemon.

Personally i appreciated Brock as character. He maybe didn't had big role and huge arcs filled with lot of character development like some other characters did, but he brought to anime stability and balance fulfilling valuable tasks and bringing order in main cast acting like older brother/"voice of reason".

I'm also one of those people who found Totodile's dancing a bit dull, I would have rathered Misty just get Totodile and Ash keep Squirtle a little longer. The mere fact that Misty never got Totodile means she's the only one of the original 3 girls who never had a starter pokemon.
    Given Misty's team hardly did much aside from use Water Gun every episode, I honestly don't think Totodile would have fared any better. Plus not many Johto Water-types could have fit Ash, imo. She had a full team of mostly unevolved, underused, cute/girly Pokemon, no need for another.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 6th March 2013 at 6:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    I have to respectively disagree. Brock felt much more as part of group in Johto and Hoenn than it was case with DP. He had memorable moments with Misty with both being romantic souls talking about romance or Ash stupidity. Helped Ash about gym battles giving him advices at times, or acting like sparing partner helping him to train pokemon like Torkoal. Had amusing moments with May doing her company getting into clash sometime and aside from obsession over girls showed various other qualities taking care of pokemon, applying his knowledge about healing and raising pokemon and entering quite a few competitions. Such as balloon race, breeding contest he entered with Suzie, pokemon orienteering in BF, contest where he battled May, tag battle to save Pewter etc.
    The reason he felt apart of the group back in johto was because of his popularity and due to Tracey's staleness. It has nothing to do with rather if he still did something or not. Which he didn't. As far as that whole advice thing goes, it wasn't really needed in Hoenn as much in back in Johto. If there was a new boy or girl on the show at that time, I'm sure they would have done the same.

In comparison he and Dawn barely had any chemistry going between them feeling more like strangers than friends, with overwhelming screen time Dawn and Ash received compared to his causing discrepancy and unbalanced interactions among cast causing poor Brock to be often excluded, left out in there.
    It's not Dawn's and Ash's fault for that, it's Brock's (or the writers) fault for not doing anything after all that time with Ash. It's really his for waiting the last second to do something about his talent. And he was funny but those same gags die after a while.

Personally i appreciated Brock as character. He maybe didn't had big role and huge arcs filled with lot of character development like some other characters did, but he brought to anime stability and balance fulfilling valuable tasks and bringing order in main cast acting like older brother/"voice of reason".
    I believe a character doesn't have to be older and barely without flaws to be a voice of reason. Any kid can do that if theey want to but it's more about lazyness. Hoepfully with what they did with Brock that Cilan shouldn't fall in the same shoes in order to please some fans.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Given Misty's team hardly did much aside from use Water Gun every episode, I honestly don't think Totodile would have fared any better. Plus not many Johto Water-types could have fit Ash, imo. She had a full team of mostly unevolved, underused, cute/girly Pokemon, no need for another.
    Mantine and slowking>>>>>>>Totodile. and and quagsire.

The dub is pretty unpopular here though to my knowledge. The only reason people use the English (or maybe this is only me) names is because they're easier to remember over time. Everyone seems to use the Japanese names early till they get translated, which results in the Japanese names slowly lose their use.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    The dub is pretty unpopular here though to my knowledge. The only reason people use the English (or maybe this is only me) names is because they're easier to remember over time. Everyone seems to use the Japanese names early till they get translated, which results in the Japanese names slowly lose their use.
    I don't get why people that say they don't watch the English dub need to use the English names though, why remember a name that youy don't even hear because you don't watch it?(not sure you are in that situation). Exactly why don't we keep using them if people don't watch the dubs(English or wtv).

I still wish Serebii would somehow change this forum to anime forums and the general to dubs forum, I don't understand why this is called spoiled forum, I don't see this in any other fandom forum, the original is the focus not a dub.

P.S: And that remembers me this isn't the place to discuss this anyway, we should probably stop.

I don't get why people that say they don't watch the English dub need to use the English names though, why remember a name that youy don't even hear because you don't watch it?(not sure you are in that situation). Exactly why don't we keep using them if people don't watch the dubs(English or wtv).

I still wish Serebii would somehow change this forum to anime forums and the general to dubs forum, I don't understand why this is called spoiled forum, I don't see this in any other fandom forum, the original is the focus not a dub.

P.S: And that remembers me this isn't the place to discuss this anyway, we should probably stop.
    People are free to use whatever version of the name is more comfortable to them, but remember that this is an English forum and as such using English names would be more appreciated. You won't see me using Italian names only because they're more comfortable to me, because by doing so I risk to confound people that are used to the English and/or Japanese names. Simple as that.

---

My unpopular opinion: I actually like both Ash and Pikachu. They don't bore me.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    People are free to use whatever version of the name is more comfortable to them, but remember that this is an English forum and as such using English names would be more appreciated. You won't see me using Italian names only because they're more comfortable to me, because by doing so I risk to confound people that are used to the English and/or Japanese names. Simple as that.

---

I'm saying here in this section and I'm talking about of the people that say they don't watch the dub but use the dub names and I'm not talking about game names like Cilan, I'm talking about calling Shootie Trip or Cabernet, Burgundy, I'm saying its weird I'm not saying they shouldn't do it.

I was mainly asking why and that was a side question the main thing was dubs popularity, nevermind this.
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 6th March 2013 at 8:09 PM.

Fair enough, but to clear your conscious a tad bit... most people play the translated versions of the game (I'm indifferent on the dub vs original argument)
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    I actually know a lot of people who like Ash and Pikachu. And to be honest, it's only recently that I've grown tired of Ash. His regression in BW made me realize that there's little point to his character if he's just going to revert back into his rookie self every few years. But I've never thought of Pikachu as boring really. I mean I suppose I do think he had more personality in Kanto, but he's still a decent Pokemon. I just wish he didn't lose to weak Pokemon all the time; that's my main issue with him. This all goes back to the regression I mentioned earlier. It's really taken a toll on my faith in the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post

Actually ... I don´t even know who are you , I didn´t made the comment thinking in someone specifically, but thanks for confirm my point that "bad writing" is a fan term based in worthless personal and biased thoughts and preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Mantine and slowking>>>>>>>Totodile. and and quagsire.
    Mantine isn't amphibious though, no hands/feet. Slowking I'm sure wouldn't have worked because it isn't marketable enough.

That Ash's true strongest Pokemon is Pikachu while everyone else is equal in strength, which includes everyone's precious Charizard (why do we overhype this guy)

I find Ash's total obliviousness when it comes to love unfunny and overdone. It gets really old seeing someone fall head over heels for someone (usually for him), and he doesn't get it. Cottonnee in Love and Cutting the Ties That Bind are the perfect examples of this. It's especially annoying because he never used to be this dense!
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 7th May 2013 at 8:47 PM.

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast