Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    If a pokemon can beat a pseudo legendary without DEM then it does not deserve to be placed anywhere near the bottom.
    Pignite? Hydreigon was weakened a bit before Pignite hit the field. Although Pignite and the Krook are not weak, overall the Unova Team is pretty weak, since there ARE other Pokemon within the team. There's always a weak link in all of Ash's team and the MVP of a team, the strongest player. Example includes Infernape, Charizard, Pikachu (sometimes), Sceptile... etc etc. Then there are weaker ones, like Totodile and Oshawott in their respective teams.

Though overall I agree with Lucas, Ash's Unova Team would be competely be ran over by other teams without DEM except maybe the Johto team.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas MV View Post
    I'd say "Made up" isn't the right word, since I figured it out from what I actually see in the anime. But, feel free to answer to any of the particular pokemon cases, if you don't agree, I assure you that I can give arguments for every single one of them, I just didn't think it was necesary for all and it was tiring to write it all.
    Its made up because there are no actual power levels, power fluctuates accoring to plot but once again, its your opinion, I was just saying that yes it fits the thread, I can make the exact same thing with different ranking(which I obviously won't).

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Given Misty's team hardly did much aside from use Water Gun every episode, I honestly don't think Totodile would have fared any better. Plus not many Johto Water-types could have fit Ash, imo. She had a full team of mostly unevolved, underused, cute/girly Pokemon, no need for another.
    I wouldn't know. Misty pokemon often entered rescue missions helping others to pull them out from vexed sea, pulled life raft when escaping from ferocious pokemon like Gyarados. Entered various races liker flame pokemon athon bnsttled various trainers, fighted TR mechas destroying them, entered tournaments on occasion etc.

I also noticed moveset from Misty pokemon became much richer in Johto such as swagger, bubblebeam, spike cannon, mirror coat, supersonic, double edge etc her Corsola, Staryu, Poliwhirl, Goldeen demonstrated. Being more diverse than water gun, tackle her pokemon mainly uised in Kanto.

Maybe its just me bu i found personally Dawn team to fit more criteria of "cute, little plushies", than its case with Misty opokemon which seemed more robust, tough imo.
    Either way i believe in longer run Totodile would have better chance to develop and evolve if it went under Misty custody. She proved to posses greater knowledge about water pokemon, with her pokemon like Corsola and Poliwhirl having more wins, development and achievements in Johto than Totodile really did.

Not to mention at gym Totodile would train and battle much more than he does at Oak ranch increasing his chances to evolve, even all way to Feraligator.

Partially i believe this would also help Ash other pokemon in Johto team, since this would mean one less pokemon to focus giving his other pokemon more screen time,training and actual growth.

For that same reason when writers divided starters in Hoenn i felt how there existed perfect balance , which resulted in Ash Treecko having a lot of screen time for himself to properly develop and be used to full potential. Something which more often than not doesn't happen when you give all three starters to Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    The reason he felt apart of the group back in johto was because of his popularity and due to Tracey's staleness. It has nothing to do with rather if he still did something or not. Which he didn't. As far as that whole advice thing goes, it wasn't really needed in Hoenn as much in back in Johto. If there was a new boy or girl on the show at that time, I'm sure they would have done the same.
    Not really, its more because of better writing and characters with who Brock had things in common like Misty since they both were interested in concept of love and romance, came from gym leader families and served role of mentoring Ash being familiar with his flaws and qualities.

Brock interacted much more with Misty, May or May aside from Ash than it was case with Dawn having memorable moments and interactions allowing that friendship between him and aforementioned characters grow forward.

He also received more focus and got things to do in Johto compared to DP. Such as doing more active steps toward breeding career. Learning how to prepare new potions and medicines, exchanging knowledge with other breeders, applying his skills in resolving problems with many wild pokemon like Stantler or Sudowoodo, entering breeding competition returning Vulpix to long time friend Suzy, had his Zubat and Pineco evolve etc.

Not to mention Brock still served purpose of navigator and caretaker in Hoenn and Sinnoh series giving Ash and May advices, helped him about training his pokemon bringing order and balance in main cast with his wisdom and mature attitude.
    Even in DP we can still see him mentor Ash on several occasions such as training with him before battling Roark, training with Infernape prior to league, playing role in whole crisis regarding Chimchar and Paul etc.

It's not Dawn's and Ash's fault for that, it's Brock's (or the writers) fault for not doing anything after all that time with Ash. It's really his for waiting the last second to do something about his talent. And he was funny but those same gags die after a while.
    Its more combination of both. On good part reason behind Brock neglect
    and lack of focus on group dynamics as whole, was directly caused by too much emphasis being put on development of Ash and Dawn friendship and their progress as "two stars which progress through show", often leaving Brock out of group interaction.
    Something which was mistake with writers making sure to fix that in BW with no one in BW cast whether its Iris, Cilan or Ash feeling left out.

Also i noticed you often try to insinuate how Brock never did anything during his whole run in show, something i beg to differ. How valuable role character has isn't measured by how much, but what he does.

Brock played valuable role in show being like some sort of older parental figure which cooked and took care of group, helped in navigation and finding gyms along with many other tiny things which we often take for granted. Aside from that he guided Ash helping him to grow into better trainer(especially in Kanto and Johto),giving many useful tips and coming up with strategies in several battles providing lot of wisdom and knowledge to group.
    He also brought comedy, good dynamic between characters and many enjoyable moments adding certain mix of irrationality and order in whole group having his share of moments becoming better breeder with time learning new things and applying them in many crisis situations.

So to try to characterize Brock role as "insignificant"would be huge understatement to make. Brock growth happened periodically in episode basis when he took care of sick or injured pokemon applying his knowledge like Stantler, Nuzleef, Sharpedo, Solrock etc.

In learning to prepare potions and foods from other breeders exchanging tips with AJ, Suzie,Yuma etc. In helping to solve crisis with TR or wild pokemon ending recognized by several breeders and trainers out there gradually growing as pokemon raiser. His involvement in healing other pokemon or humans like sick nurse Joy from BF also left great deal of influence on character starting to reconsider his current career and if he could learn more about taking care of pokemon if he becomes doctor.
    Along with learning how to cope and accept his disfunctional family like Lola and Flint, became more compassionate and understanding growing proud of his brother forestr knowing he oasses torch of gym leader to right hands etc.

Character doesn't need to collect shiny trinkets and enter tournaments to be considered valuable and productive.
    For role Brock performed he received more or less decent treatment, enough focus until DP. Brock he was never intended to go through a lot of development with main purpose lying in being like older caretaker/big brother of group who cooks, takes care of them and brings stability in main cast. While getting episodes dedicated to himself, pokemon, his goals like breeding etc. Similar to Cilan role, but only with less battling and entering events with passivity of his career not having much to do with training and using pokemon for more active purposes hurting his chances to be more active, involvement in various plots.

I'm personally glad characters aren't given single-typed teams, it get a bit redundant and holds the team back a bit imo. Misty's whole team dies to electricity for example.
    Eh not necessarily. Many gym leaders which mostly use one type like Candice, Roark, Elesa, Koga, Winona , E4 members, even champions like Wallace proved how you can be highy successful trainer with one type developing counter strategies which would either neutralize or deflect attacks from types against which their mono teams would be at disasdvantage.

Im pretty sure Misty pokemon would be able to stand up to electric type with right choice of attacks and smart strategy. Depending on circumstances and tactic.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 8th March 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    People would argue Brick Break was DEM(others, not me).
    DEM would be him learning the move mid battle and winning with one strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Obviously all of this are powerlevels that don't exist and are made up by you, so I guess it fits in the unpopular opinions.
    This. A Pokemon's power level fluctuates wildly for the sake of the plot or is made as strong as it needs to for the sake of the plot. Dawn's newborn Cyndaquil was an automatic savant at battling, not even being a week old and being able to take many attacks from Khoury and Lyra's Johto starters and take on Grotle in a training match. Dawn's Mamoswine could take a Hyper Beam from Aggron with no problem, even ran directly though it without being deterred, this same Mamoswine was tossed like nothing by Ursula's Plusle and Minun. I don't read too much into "power levels" for this exact reason and I think I enjoy the show more for it now. Buizel was made out to be a beast in its debut episode and ate Pikachu, Glameow, and Piplup for breakfast, Pikachu. Pikachu got tossed around by "the world's strongest Magikarp." Chimchar was hyped as a very strong Pokemon but got beaten up by Piplup in the episode after the Tag Battle and then later could only manage a tie against Dawn and her friend with Sudowoodo. The writers make Ash's teams as strong as they want, making the strength gain feel natural and consistent and subtle is just a rare bonus.

Unpopular opinions coming in.
    32: Many people think Ash's father is this great legendary Pokemon Master that will be his final opponent in the series. I don't. There has been no word on him and if he's as legendary as they say, I would have thought we'd heard something about his status at some point. I don't think the writers care about Ash's daddy. I sure don't.
    33: Not sure how unpopular this will be but I thought it was wasteful how Conway, one of the most interesting characters Dawn interacted with in DP was wasted on the league. I would have enjoyed him as a weird Anti-Harley coordinator rival for the GF. It would have been so much fun. Ash and Conway's chemistry was flat to me. I don't know if that is really unpopular or not.
    34: Many fans think Brock should have won against May in that Marshtomp vs Eevee match. I didn't. May's Eevee is a baby, yeah, but how trained was Brock's Marshtomp? Plus May is a coordinator, she should have won.
    35: Another May one. Many fans don't like her Squirtle and say it has cheap wins. I agree but one win I don't think is cheap was it OHKing Drew's Flygon. Flygon is a Dragon and Ground type Pokemon. If nothing else Flygon was actually acting like a Pokemon that takes 4X damage. Garchomp and Dragonite could learn something from Flygon.
    36: I actually like how Salamence has been handled in the anime more then Dragonite and Garchomp. Salamence hasn't been in any big matches but it's not overexposed like Dragonite and Garchomp, nor do they make it as invincible as the two either. I also like that Salamence hasn't been showcased so much and it feels like a rare treat when it appears. Dragonite use to be like that but not anymore.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

This. A Pokemon's power level fluctuates wildly for the sake of the plot or is made as strong as it needs to for the sake of the plot. Dawn's newborn Cyndaquil was an automatic savant at battling, not even being a week old and being able to take many attacks from Khoury and Lyra's Johto starters and take on Grotle in a training match. Dawn's Mamoswine could take a Hyper Beam from Aggron with no problem, even ran directly though it without being deterred, this same Mamoswine was tossed like nothing by Ursula's Plusle and Minun. I don't read too much into "power levels" for this exact reason and I think I enjoy the show more for it now. Buizel was made out to be a beast in its debut episode and ate Pikachu, Glameow, and Piplup for breakfast, Pikachu. Pikachu got tossed around by "the world's strongest Magikarp." Chimchar was hyped as a very strong Pokemon but got beaten up by Piplup in the episode after the Tag Battle and then later could only manage a tie against Dawn and her friend with Sudowoodo. The writers make Ash's teams as strong as they want, making the strength gain feel natural and consistent and subtle is just a rare bonus.
    What I meant to say, was that the writers never made this team seem strong. I mean, the Sinnoh team seemed strong and it could've realistically win the league. The Unova team didn't give that vibe to anyone. We all were sure Ash wasn't going to win the league the second we learned he would only use Unovian pokemons.
    The Hoenn team has that vibe of being stronger too.
    This Unova team can compare with his Kanto one, but then Ash was a newbie back then, so it is justified. The Johto team didn't seem stronge enough to win a league, but Ash used reserves in the Johto league, so the vibe of wining was still there.

Let me be clear with an example:
    -Ash's final Kanto League team: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Kingler, Muk. (He used those 6 in different battles)

-Ash's final Johto League team: Pikachu, Totodile, Snorlax, Noctowl, Bayleef, Charizard. (Final Johto League battle, vs Harrison)

-Ash's final Hoenn League team: Pikachu, Glalie, Torkoal , Corphish, Grovyle, Swellow. (Final Hoenn league battle, vs Tyson)

-Ash's final Sinnoh League team: Pikachu, Heracross, Torkoal, Gible, Sceptile, Swellow. (Final Sinnoh league battle, vs Tobias)

And:
    Ash's final Unova League team: Pikachu, Pignite, Snivy, Boldore, Unfezant , Oshawott. (Final Unova league battle, vs Cameron)

Comparing only those teams, I'm sure most will agree in that the Unova team would lose against any of the other regional teams. First, it doesn't have a powerhouse, other than Pikachu. The Kanto one has Kingler (Charizard too, but since he didn't obey), the Johto one has Charizard and Snorlax, the Hoenn League has Glalie and the Sinnoh League has Sceptile. What does the final Unova league team has that can be called a powerhouse (excluding Pikachu)?

Well, that's why I'm saying is the weakest team so far. Sure, power fluctuates because plot and all that, but it fluctuates from an stablish minimum level to an stablish maximum level. That's why you don't see Totodile beating Blastoise, Oshawott beating Hydreigon, and what let us say that Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu and Sceptile are stronger than Torkoal, Muk, Totodile and Bayleef. There are power levels. And this seems to be the weakest. I like Unova pokemon, so I'm not intending to bash them, but I can't help but feel that its weak. I laugh whean Ash sends Oshawott to fight. Well... that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas MV View Post
    What I meant to say, was that the writers never made this team seem strong. I mean, the Sinnoh team seemed strong and it could've realistically win the league. The Unova team didn't give that vibe to anyone. We all were sure Ash wasn't going to win the league the second we learned he would only use Unovian pokemons.
    The Hoenn team has that vibe of being stronger too.
    This Unova team can compare with his Kanto one, but then Ash was a newbie back then, so it is justified. The Johto team didn't seem stronge enough to win a league, but Ash used reserves in the Johto league, so the vibe of wining was still there.

Let me be clear with an example:
    -Ash's final Kanto League team: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Kingler, Muk. (He used those 6 in different battles)

-Ash's final Johto League team: Pikachu, Totodile, Snorlax, Noctowl, Bayleef, Charizard. (Final Johto League battle, vs Harrison)

-Ash's final Hoenn League team: Pikachu, Glalie, Torkoal , Corphish, Grovyle, Swellow. (Final Hoenn league battle, vs Tyson)

-Ash's final Sinnoh League team: Pikachu, Heracross, Torkoal, Gible, Sceptile, Swellow. (Final Sinnoh league battle, vs Tobias)

And:
    Ash's final Unova League team: Pikachu, Pignite, Snivy, Boldore, Unfezant , Oshawott. (Final Unova league battle, vs Cameron)

Comparing only those teams, I'm sure most will agree in that the Unova team would lose against any of the other regional teams. First, it doesn't have a powerhouse, other than Pikachu. The Kanto one has Kingler (Charizard too, but since he didn't obey), the Johto one has Charizard and Snorlax, the Hoenn League has Glalie and the Sinnoh League has Sceptile. What does the final Unova league team has that can be called a powerhouse (excluding Pikachu)?

Well, that's why I'm saying is the weakest team so far. Sure, power fluctuates because plot and all that, but it fluctuates from an stablish minimum level to an stablish maximum level. That's why you don't see Totodile beating Blastoise, Oshawott beating Hydreigon, and what let us say that Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu and Sceptile are stronger than Torkoal, Muk, Totodile and Bayleef. There are power levels. And this seems to be the weakest. I like Unova pokemon, so I'm not intending to bash them, but I can't help but feel that its weak. I laugh whean Ash sends Oshawott to fight. Well... that's it.
    It's perfectly fine if you think that way, I think Krookodile, Pikachu, and Pignite are three very strong Pokemon quite personally.

-Never saw the appeal with why people seem to see Kingler and Glalie as being powerhouses, they're strong, true but they never really came off as overly-exceptional. Kingler swept a team but was shown to be beatable, Misty's Psyduck one-shotted it and then Glalie was a late capture and got some good league wins but never came off as super amazing to me. I actually think Bayleef, Donphan, and Heracross are stronger than both of them. I actually always saw the likes of Snorlax and Sceptiles for examples being Ash's powerhouses.

-Infernape never seemed that strong to me without Blaze, that might be because it hardly did anything as an Monferno or got got any wins. Infernape also, not too big a fan of his Mach Punch one-shots, Jolteon, and Ninjask being prime examples.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 8th March 2013 at 5:40 PM.

It's perfectly fine if you think that way, I think Krookodile, Pikachu, and Pignite are three very strong Pokemon quite personally.

-Never saw the appeal with why people seem to see Kingler and Glalie as being powerhouses, they're strong, true but they never really came off as overly-exceptional. Kingler swept a team but was shown to be beatable, Misty's Psyduck one-shotted it and then Glalie was a late capture and got some good league wins but never came off as super amazing to me. I actually think Bayleef, Donphan, and Heracross are stronger than both of them.
    I'm not counting Pikachu in this Unova team, because he isn't Unovian. But I agree that Pignite and Krookodile are strong Pokemon. Just not as strong to be on the powerhouse level. Sure, Krookodile is Unova's powerhouse, but its weaker than Sinnoh's powerhouse, Infernape, Hoenn's powerhouse, Sceptile, Kanto's powerhouses Charizard, Pikachu and Snorlax. He may be stronger than Heracross or Donphan, the powerhouses of his Johto team, but its on another level.

I don't see Kingler and Glalie as powerhouses in the same level of Ash's other powerhouses like Charizard, Pikachu, Snorlax and Sceptile. But they were the powerhouses of the Kanto and Hoenn league teams, that's what I tried to say. I think Heracross should be stronger, and Donphan maybe, but not sure about Bayleef. Anyway, they have similar power levels, so it's really down to opinion on this one.
    Last edited by Lucas MV; 8th March 2013 at 5:45 PM.

In other forums I've read complains about how writers pretty much mess up most of Ash's decisions by making some weird and annoying events happen, but in the end they have a reason to be. I'll leave some examples:

Orange League: Snorlax unable to battle against Drake since Ash couldn't wake it up at the pokemon center.
    Reason: I was the perfect chance to make either Kingler, Muk or Tauros participate in an important battle. The obvious choice was Tauros since he hasn't battled before.

Johto Region: Ash leaving his Charizard at the Valley (one of the most annoying complains)
    Reason: Clearly Charizard was Ash strongest pokemon at the beginning of Johto, but since he already obeyed Ash and was unfair to make him battle against small pokemon, writers wanted it to be used as a secret weapon in the future, making him even stronger by staying in the Valley for training and then be called upon for the most important battles (Blackthorn gym, Johto League and Battle Frontier), and with that its development wouldn't be over. It would've been very boring if Ash kept Charizard with him during the whole Johto arc, just spamming it through all the gyms.

Johto League: Kingler suffered an accident making it unable to fight against the girl that had a crush on Ash.
    Reason: Mainly to have a relevant reason to make Squirtle come back, and to keep the track of it, they also made Bulbasaur and Charizard have important battles in the league. Sadly for many that was the reason that Ash's Johto starters were left aside.

Johto League: Ash didn't use Pikachu against Gary.
    Reason: Pikachu already fought Gary once before the league, and was against Eevee, and lost. Maybe it was a good idea to make the rodent rest a bit and make Ash use his bulkiest pokemon he had at that time (Tauros, Muk, Heracross, Snorlax, Bayleef and Charizard). Gary did the same since his Umbreon wasn't even used (game-wise Umbreon is the bulkiest pokemon he had, but the anime is a different thing).

Hoenn Region: Ash started his journey only with Pikachu, leaving his other pokemon at Oak's.
    Reason: It was a good decision compared to leaving his other pokemon in training and never see them anymore, that way he can have access to them for any important tournament.

Hoenn League: Ash didn't use reserves and stuck up with the same team for all his battles.
    Reason: It was clearly to make Ash's new pokemon get good league battles, but in my opinion Ash should use all his pokemon in a League, the regional team's job is the badge hunting. Johto and Sinnoh did well in that part.

Battle frontier: Charizard was the fall guy in the final battle against Brandon.
    Reason: Charizard already got a frontier win against the legendary Articuno, he didn't need another victory, and the fact that he was the first to lose against that Dusclops was to add some tension in the battle and make Bulbasaur and Squirtle have wins in that saga.

Sinnoh League: Why didn't Ash used Charizard to fight against Takuto and his legendaries?
    Reason: At first some people thought Charizard couldn't be called upon since Johto was far away from Sinnoh, but in the last BW episode it was confirmed that Ash can transfer any pokemon he wants from Oak's lab, and even Charizard is available. So the only reason that made Ash use Torkoal instead of Charizard is because he was meant to lose that battle, and bringing back his lizard woudn't have changed anything, just making him lose his last fight again like it already happened against Sparky and Blaziken in the first 2 leagues.

Unova Region: Ash should use Palpitoad.
    Reason: the toad falls in the same category as Muk, Tauros and Kingler: Unpopular benchwarming pokemon. There's no reason for it to interact with other pokemon, just to please Palpi-fans (which are like 3 or 4 after all) and writers simply won't bother. And don't worry because it's never shown eating something, it gets food at Juniper's.

Unova league: Ash didn't use Krookodile against Kotetsu, that's why he lost.
    Reason: I didn't like it either, but Ash was clearly set to lose this match as well as in Sinnoh to Takuto, but I think it was better to watch Shades pull of a win against Kenyan than make him lose ridiculously against Kotetsu.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    34: Many fans think Brock should have won against May in that Marshtomp vs Eevee match. I didn't. May's Eevee is a baby, yeah, but how trained was Brock's Marshtomp? Plus May is a coordinator, she should have won.
    THIS. That time, people got enraged like if May did beat Lance´s Dragonite with her Torchic and treated Brock like he was Alder & Cynthia´s love child and Marshtomp was Mewtwo (-_-).

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    THIS. That time, people got enraged like if May did beat Lance´s Dragonite with her Torchic and treated Brock like he was Alder & Cynthia´s love child and Marshtomp was Mewtwo (-_-).
    The pokemon winning wasn't the problem. It was the fact that the actual battle was terribly done.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The pokemon winning wasn't the problem. It was the fact that the actual battle was terribly done.
    Well, we´re talking about Brock, the most overrated character ever, his battles were few and awful, his "Walking Pokémon Encyclopedia" status went down to the toilet when he entered a Fight-type tournament with Geodude and wanted a GOLEM to hatch from Togepi´s egg (-_-), nostalgia is all he has, and yes, this is another unpopular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Well, we´re talking about Brock, the most overrated character ever, his battles were few and awful, his "Walking Pokémon Encyclopedia" status went down to the toilet when he entered a Fight-type tournament with Geodude and wanted a GOLEM to hatch from Togepi´s egg (-_-), nostalgia is all he has, and yes, this is another unpopular opinion.
    Brock overrated? I honestly can't see how, if anything I've seen nothing but people complaining about how he was either bland, boring, or not fabulous. I can understand why some might see Eevee's success over Marshtomp as cheap. Don't get me wrong, May is my favorite Pokegirl after all and might always be, her newly hatch shouldn't have been able to stand-up to Marshtomp for too long, I'm not saying it should have gotten steamrolled by him though. Marshtomp didn't get formal battles often but did battle at times in AG and BF and evolve, on top of that Brock isn't a weak trainer by any means. He knows his stuff and really had driven May into a corner in his first go-round in a Contest, I think Brock is smartest member of Ash's ragtag group of companions, so to see him manage so well and have Eevee outclassed so easily with so many Contest-y strategies and techniques seemed well deserved. It also was Eevee's first win iirc, the fox really should have lost because May did have the strategy nor did Eevee have the endurance or sheer strength to stand-up to their opponents. Plus, I wouldn't have minded Brock winning, it would have given him an achievement and May could have gone for another Contest win, which I wouldn't have minded since seeing more of May battling and struggling as a Coordinator would be fun for me and help me root all the more for her during the Grand Festival. Plus I honestly really enjoyed that battle, it was just cool to see Brock do something and show-off his skills in such a manner and still makes me think to this day Brock could have been much better if he had a more touch-upon goal like the Coordinator + Iris had or have.

Although Eevee's win over Marshtomp is, IMO, unrealistic, the writers have a strange way of writing egg hatching in the anime. Dawn's Cyndaquil put up a good fight against Ash's 'well-trained' Grotle in a training match, and took a freaking HYDRO PUMP from Croconaw. So yeah, I'm not very sure about how writers write new-born Pokemon, lol.

Though I'm glad there's still a bit of power level, I wouldn't be happy if Cynthia's Garchomp (a frigging champion's ace) lost to Iris's Axew, or even Ash's Charizard for that reason. She's a champion, after all xD

Here's an unpopular opinion of mine
    - Sinnoh did not actually have many fillers: It's a common misconception most make. 191 episodes =/= complete full-blown filler festival. There are many plots running at the same time, and people show up from time to time. Hunter J, Team Galactic, Paul, Pokemon Contests, Capture episodes, development episodes, evolution episodes, parting episodes, old characters episode... People often miss out the fact that Dawn actually lose in contests, rather than May's 4-time winning streak in Hoenn or her (IMO, rather ridiculous) 5 out of 6 contest held (excluding vs Ash) during Kanto. Aside from those episodes, there are often episodes when a gym leader's background is further deepened and non battling rival episodes. Include the fact that the entire Elite Four came and Cynthia made multiple appearances. The fillers aren't as many as people think. Aside from that, the fillers weren't as horrible as many perceived them. I have two real bad ones though, the two before Galactic - 3 parter. That made me cringe...

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    - Sinnoh did not actually have many fillers: It's a common misconception most make. 191 episodes =/= complete full-blown filler festival. There are many plots running at the same time, and people show up from time to time. Hunter J, Team Galactic, Paul, Pokemon Contests, Capture episodes, development episodes, evolution episodes, parting episodes, old characters episode... People often miss out the fact that Dawn actually lose in contests, rather than May's 4-time winning streak in Hoenn or her (IMO, rather ridiculous) 5 out of 6 contest held (excluding vs Ash) during Kanto. Aside from those episodes, there are often episodes when a gym leader's background is further deepened and non battling rival episodes. Include the fact that the entire Elite Four came and Cynthia made multiple appearances. The fillers aren't as many as people think. Aside from that, the fillers weren't as horrible as many perceived them. I have two real bad ones though, the two before Galactic - 3 parter. That made me cringe...
    Agreed for you, 100%. Sinnoh has less fillers than Hoenn alone (Or the same, but Hoenn has less episodes). In DP there were those fillers ON 189 episodes:

DP21, DP23, DP24, DP28, DP39, DP42, DP43, DP56, DP57, DP58, DP59, DP87, DP94, DP105, DP109, DP112, DP115, DP116, DP117,DP135, DP142, DP148, DP149, DP158 AND DP178. This is 25 episodes of a 189 episode series. It's posssibly that 10 epsiodes would be technically fillers but specially with Sinnoh you have to understand if there's filler or not.

Or there will be cases like "Arriving a Style" = filler episode.

Remember that many episodes who the fandom call filler they aren't fillers. Recent examples:
    Onix episode: Bonding episode between Iris and Dawn, Oshawott learns Hydro Pump, Meloetta transforming into Pirouette Forme and Team Rocket contines the mission. And with this people call it filler.

Nursery episode: Team Rocket are calling Giovanni for the end of the mission.

Snivy's girl episode: Ash knows about the league and the fact that he will travel through the Village of Dragons. Also, the gang leaves Cynthia's villa.

Nonomi's episode: Ash returns to Juniper's lab, calls Oak for the results of the League, they know about the White ruins, they fly to the White Ruins and N makes a small debut.

A fillers is a episode where we know that there isn't any important events that carry into other episodes at all during ALL of 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Although Eevee's win over Marshtomp is, IMO, unrealistic, the writers have a strange way of writing egg hatching in the anime. Dawn's Cyndaquil put up a good fight against Ash's 'well-trained' Grotle in a training match, and took a freaking HYDRO PUMP from Croconaw. So yeah, I'm not very sure about how writers write new-born Pokemon, lol.

Though I'm glad there's still a bit of power level, I wouldn't be happy if Cynthia's Garchomp (a frigging champion's ace) lost to Iris's Axew, or even Ash's Charizard for that reason. She's a champion, after all xD

I can understand people scratching their heads about baby Cyndaquil taking a Hydro Pump, but the whole fighting against Grotle thing...Grotle just stood there and took the attacks rather easily and did not fight back until it used that one Rock Climb which nearly KO'd Cyndaquil. It was obviously there simply to see how powerful Cyndaquil's attacks were and since Grotle is such a well defense Pokemon the writers make it out to be then it was a logical choice as a Pokemon to try new moves on. At no point in that training session did it ever look like Cyndaquil was doing real damage to Grotle. It was a training session to see what moves Cyndaquil knew and how powerful they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    It was obviously there simply to see how powerful Cyndaquil's attacks were and since Grotle is such a well defense Pokemon the writers make it out to be then it was a logical choice as a Pokemon to try new moves on.
    If it's such a good defensive Pokémon, then why was it beaten so easily as a Torterra? Even Unfezant got one win.

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    If it's such a good defensive Pokémon, then why was it beaten so easily as a Torterra? Even Unfezant got one win.
    That's mainly because Ash tried to use it as an offensive Pokemon, instead of focusing on its defensive side. Torkoal and Snorlax were used better than Torterra, despite having similar properties. However, Torkoal, Snorlax and to an extent Grotle were a bit more mobile than Torterra, so they were more suited for Ash's battling style.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    Oddly enough torterra lasted longer vs an E4 than Volkner XD

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    That's mainly because Ash tried to use it as an offensive Pokemon, instead of focusing on its defensive side. Torkoal and Snorlax were used better than Torterra, despite having similar properties. However, Torkoal, Snorlax and to an extent Grotle were a bit more mobile than Torterra, so they were more suited for Ash's battling style.
    I guess, but it always drove me crazy when Torterra wouldn't use a move mid Rock Climb to make his opponent go off balance. I mean, Torterra really sucked at that move, because the opponents Pokémon would find a way to avoid the attack or knock him out.

What happened to Swallowing Energy Ball? Couldn't Torterra of used that to improve his Leaf Storm?

Best Wishes! is awesome, DP (and AG to a small extent) is overrated.
    BW Trio > AG/DP Trio
    Paul is my least favorite character.

I've always thought the whole swallowing Energy Ball was a dumb strategy and really didn't do much for Torterra. Then again, its Torterra, so nothing good usually came from it.

I wish Ash actually paid attention to his Pokemon's strengths than just having everything battle like its Pikachu.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

More unpopular opinions.
    37: Like Buizel, I liked Chimchar better with Paul. They made a good story off it true, but IMO the MAIN reason they did it is because they wanted to showcase Chimchar on the main cast more. The story they made for it was great for the Paul rivalry but I don't believe for a second that that was the main reason they gave it to Ash. But how they handled doing it was near perfect and fit the "Paul releases Pokemon" routine. Then again they could have always planned from the start to have Chimchar leave Paul. Either way this is probably a unpopular opinion.
    38: As the series goes on, powerful Pokemon are getting a worse showcasing then they use to. The biggest offender seems to be the dragon types. Compare Orange Island Dragonite to todays. Drake's Dragonite took damage from Bubblebeam while Garchomp and Dragonites of today can shrug off ice attacks with zero effort. Why eve give it double weaknesses if the anime doesn't always exploit it. They'll do it when the plot demands it. This is one case in which I prefer how Pokemon were showcased in the old days and opposed to the new. For all the powerful Pokemon in OS, minus Mewtwo, at least they looked beatable. Then we have stuff like electric moves damaging Mamoswine yet Gabite remains untouched? Oh silly writers.

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    I've always thought the whole swallowing Energy Ball was a dumb strategy and really didn't do much for Torterra. Then again, its Torterra, so nothing good usually came from it.

I wish Ash actually paid attention to his Pokemon's strengths than just having everything battle like its Pikachu.
    The Energy ball thing was really for Dawn and her contests. It wasn't really for anything more in gymbattles. Yes, Pikachu needs less battles period.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast