Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    How does Trip have any personality? He's just cocky and arrogant, but isn't even THAT strong. Tbh Bianca has a far more interesting personality, and so does Stephan and Kotetsu. He's somewhere along the lines of Virgil.

He doesn't even interact much with Ash like Paul. At least Paul is cocky for a good reason, he's actually a threat.
    I guess Trip was suppose to be a threat because of how stupid Ash was in their 5 on 5 match. Oh even though my Oshawott just lost to a Flying type's special ability, I'm gonna send out Tepig because the same thing can't happen twice and it's not like I have an Electric type on my team...oh wait Tepig went down, now I choose you Pikachu.
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 30th March 2013 at 4:30 PM.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

lol, poor Trip. Destined to be one of the worst rivals in the series. Liking the character would truly be a unpopular opinion. Honestly if he wasn't Ash's rival I might have liked him more. Because I still think he could have made a great rival for a rookie trainer. Oh well, more unpopular opinions
    47: While Pokemon with personalities is great, when you make them to human, they suffer greatly IMO. This would be unpopular because people like Pokemon with personalities. I do to, but I don't think they need to be so strong.
    48: It's actually a bad thing when Pokemon get popular, because then you're more likely not to evolve, stay the same, get saddled with a gimmick that makes you comic relief, and people are more likely to get sick of you then like you. See Pikachu, Togepi, Piplup, and Oshawott. Oshawott may or may not evolve before the season ends, but with Gen 5 pretty much over, who cares?
    49: Some people didn't like DP's first episode because Ash doesn't appear until the very end. I was indifferent to it at first but now looking back at it, I wish every character got and will get a episode to themselves like Dawn got in DP. If you really want to introduce a character, especially one who is going to be a big deal, give them episodes like this. Not only when they first appear, but maybe when they leave give them a full episode to themselves as well. I'm not a fan of Iris or Cilan, but I hope they get a episode like that when they leave. Ash has the entire anime hostage, one or two episodes for the sidekicks won't kill anyone.
    50: Based on the debate going on in here, I like that the BW tournaments were won by other characters besides Ash. Yes, Ash should have won one of them, but the sidekicks didn't have Contest or a side quest to gain glory in. And while I did not like how the battles were won (Iris) I think the right person won. Although I wish Cilan won a tournament but whatever.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Training is still important rather it's battling or just trying out a new move that is trying to get better. How else would you htink one was capable of winning anything? Training episodes can be included in important plots as well. But to not even include them is what this series was lacking especially in Iris, Cilan's and even in Ash's case depending on the pokemon.

My ideal battle ever!

@platinumfan

47: What do you mean by that? o_O
    48: Togepi and Piplup are all 'side character' Pokemon, so they're not as important as say, Pikachu and Oshawott. I actually wouldn't mind as much if Cilan had Oshawott and Cilan's Oshawott hogs screentime and not evolve. I wouldn't mind, though some people might still whine. Lol.
    49: I'd like a Paul episode. That'd be so good. I'd also like a Bianca introduction episode. Sadly, I don't think rivals will get them. Only female co-stars get the treatment.
    50: I don't mind Ash losing every tournaments, since the side characters don't have anything like contests to do. But I'm bothered how Bianca has never even won a tournament before, despite participating in every onscreen (bar JC). It just makes her joke material.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

@platinumfan

47: What do you mean by that? o_O
    48: Togepi and Piplup are all 'side character' Pokemon, so they're not as important as say, Pikachu and Oshawott. I actually wouldn't mind as much if Cilan had Oshawott and Cilan's Oshawott hogs screentime and not evolve. I wouldn't mind, though some people might still whine. Lol.
    49: I'd like a Paul episode. That'd be so good. I'd also like a Bianca introduction episode. Sadly, I don't think rivals will get them. Only female co-stars get the treatment.
    50: I don't mind Ash losing every tournaments, since the side characters don't have anything like contests to do. But I'm bothered how Bianca has never even won a tournament before, despite participating in every onscreen (bar JC). It just makes her joke material.
    Piplup not as important as Oshawott? From what I've seen they have the exact same role on the show, minus where they battle in. I fail to see how Piplup is less important when he stays out of his Poke Ball, is the star of Dawn's team, and has his own ending. Just because Piplup doesn't belong to Ash, doesn't make him any more or less important then Oshawott. When BW ends Oshawott will be gone, just like Piplup. I see no difference in their importance. Piplup's toys still sell.

You asked what I meant by 47. I was saying Pokemon don't need such strong and commanding personalities. Yes I would like Pokemon to have interesting quirks and personalities, but it does not need to be so in my face. That is what I meant. And it's probably a unpopular opinion because most like Pokemon with personalities. I don't want Pokemon to by mindless battle robots, but I also don't need them all to be humanized either. They are suppose to be wild creatures. I'd actually prefer it if they were caught wild and then while with their trainer they gain their personality/quirk that makes them entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Piplup not as important as Oshawott? From what I've seen they have the exact same role on the show, minus where they battle in. I fail to see how Piplup is less important when he stays out of his Poke Ball, is the star of Dawn's team, and has his own ending. Just because Piplup doesn't belong to Ash, doesn't make him any more or less important then Oshawott. When BW ends Oshawott will be gone, just like Piplup. I see no difference in their importance. Piplup's toys still sell.

You asked what I meant by 47. I was saying Pokemon don't need such strong and commanding personalities. Yes I would like Pokemon to have interesting quirks and personalities, but it does not need to be so in my face. That is what I meant. And it's probably a unpopular opinion because most like Pokemon with personalities. I don't want Pokemon to by mindless battle robots, but I also don't need them all to be humanized either. They are suppose to be wild creatures. I'd actually prefer it if they were caught wild and then while with their trainer they gain their personality/quirk that makes them entertaining to watch.
    I didn't phrase it correctly. What I meant was that Piplup and Togepi, despite being equal to Pikachu and Oshawott in importance, aren't mainly used for battling, so therefore, evolution won't affect it as much as Pikachu and Oshawott. In actual fact, evolution for Piplup actually doesn't suit it as well as a Piplup, since it's way less mobile. I'm not saying that Oshawott and Pikachu MUST evolve. I'm not that kind. I don't mind the water 'curse' as well. The main thing I'm talking about is proper portrayal of the fact that it is shown to be competent in battling. So yeah, evolution =/= everything, since they're still the same writers before and after evolution, and Torterra, yeap.

Id like a Pokemon that actually disliked Ash for the first few episodes of its introduction, rather than the overused 'sun sets in the distance and a friendship establishes. Ash askes if he wanted to come along, and the Pokemon nods, and corny music plays in the background'. But yeah, I don't like over-humanisation too. Though I'm curious which Pokemon do you consider as 'over-humanized'

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

-I'm more excited for the islands arc than XY anime.
    -Ep. N wasn't "OMGAWESOME", just hit or miss.
    -I didn't have a problem with Piplup, he was the least of the anime's problems, and at least he didn't have his own filler episode that interrupted the league.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

-I'm more excited for the islands arc than XY anime.
    -Ep. N wasn't "OMGAWESOME", just hit or miss.
    -I didn't have a problem with Piplup, he was the least of the anime's problems, and at least he didn't have his own filler episode that interrupted the league.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

I didn't phrase it correctly. What I meant was that Piplup and Togepi, despite being equal to Pikachu and Oshawott in importance, aren't mainly used for battling, so therefore, evolution won't affect it as much as Pikachu and Oshawott. In actual fact, evolution for Piplup actually doesn't suit it as well as a Piplup, since it's way less mobile. I'm not saying that Oshawott and Pikachu MUST evolve. I'm not that kind. I don't mind the water 'curse' as well. The main thing I'm talking about is proper portrayal of the fact that it is shown to be competent in battling. So yeah, evolution =/= everything, since they're still the same writers before and after evolution, and Torterra, yeap.

Id like a Pokemon that actually disliked Ash for the first few episodes of its introduction, rather than the overused 'sun sets in the distance and a friendship establishes. Ash askes if he wanted to come along, and the Pokemon nods, and corny music plays in the background'. But yeah, I don't like over-humanisation too. Though I'm curious which Pokemon do you consider as 'over-humanized'
    Oh, well that makes a little more sense. But I still think Piplup was cheated out of a good story through evolution. If Empoleon was to ugly for contest, make a story off it to get people interested. A Empoleon vs contest storyline could have easily been Dawn's next storyline after the Wallace Cup and Mamoswine, but it's long over now so it doesn't matter.

The Pokemon I consider over-humanized? Obviously the mascot ones. They're aren't many like that but I will admit there are times I wish Pokemon would act more like the animals they are suppose to be rather then the humanized versions the anime often give them.

Pikachu, Oshawott, Togepi or Piplup. They are all the same to me. All annoying at some point and don't feel they need to be out all the time and in your face.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Pikachu, Oshawott, Togepi or Piplup. They are all the same to me. All annoying at some point and don't feel they need to be out all the time and in your face.
    Cilan(in BW1) and Iris are much more in your face than Pikachu. Just because Pikachu is in every episode, doesn't mean it's as obnoxious as Piplup and Oshawott. I'd say Axew is worse than Togepi considering Axew got a lost filler during a Pokémon League

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Oh, oh, I have a few more unpopular opinions :
    - Everybody seems to like Harley ... I didn´t liked him so much: A grown up man dressed like a Cacturne, showing his belly button holding a grudge against a little girl for a stupid reason going down enough to dress like her is just ... creepy, I had enough eccentric grown ups stalking kids with Team Rocket, I would prefer an Ursula-like brat girl to be May´s "comical" rival.
    - I like Trip, I like Cameron, but I would like them more if they switched roles: With Cameron being Ash´s main rival in Unova and Trip being his "League" only rival, Trip following Cheren´s in-game storyline went down to the toilet when real Cheren showed up, and a comical main rival for Ash would match perfectly with Ash´s "regression" (that I prefer to call "actual personality" (-_-)).
    - Riolu evolving killed some of Cameron´s essence: After watching Riolu´s battles during Unova League, it was all what I wanted to Ash´s unevolved Pokés, Riolu was using strategies like Circle Throw to use the opponent´s weight against it, Force Palm to send them away and Copycat for a surprise factor, evolution just made it the Fully Evolved Fighting Machine that we´ve seen A LOT

[*sighs* Trip just can't win. No matter what he does, he's not liked, just because he's not douchebag Paul.

I agree with all those who said Trip > Paul]
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

I think Bw is better with comitic then Dp was

-I am NOT at all a fan of the original trio. I hope Misty doesn't show her face again, and I hope Brock gets fired.
    -Iris should leave, now.
    -Did I mention I hate the 4Kids dub AND the original? TPCi honestly improved this show.
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 1st April 2013 at 7:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    [*sighs* Trip just can't win. No matter what he does, he's not liked, just because he's not douchebag Paul.

I agree with all those who said Trip > Paul]
    He can't win because of his poor development, his lack of a team outside of Serperior, and his crappy written rivalry. He only helped Ash discover Oshawott was keeping his eye closed during Aqua Jet, unlike Paul who constantly got Ash to question his own training methods and improve upon them. He also the worst league match in the history of this show for a main rival.
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I agree, not to mention that Trip was a RIP-OFF! He couldn't live up to Paul if he had better writers.

And Paul is NOT a douchebag! He's just not happy...

The reason is because his rivalry with Ash didn't seem to have much tension if at all. Say what you will about Paul but at least, he and Ash's rivalry had some form of tension. With Trip, it feels very anti-climatic. Their final battle in the league being the writers just giving up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    -I am NOT at all a fan of the original trio. I hope Misty doesn't show her face again, and I hope Brock gets fired.
    -Iris should leave, now.
    -Did I mention I hate the 4Kids dub AND the original? TPCi honestly improved this show.
    The most original post I've seen here... congrats, you've earned my respect. Honestly, I only liked 4Kids voice acting, not so much their meddling with the original script and background.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    The most original post I've seen here... congrats, you've earned my respect. Honestly, I only liked 4Kids voice acting, not so much their meddling with the original script and background.
    I hate their voice acting too.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I hate their voice acting too.
    Your heading into some rough waters for sure now from other members XD

But hey that's cool... I don't really mind TPCi anymore. They've gotten pretty cheesy though in BW, the lines sorta make me cringe. Animation improved dramatically though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I fail to see how Togepi and Oshawott are "in your face" all the time. Togepi appeared in almost every single OS episode, but more as a background character that didn't get to do much of anything. Occasionally it would get lost, but mostly it just sat their in Misty's arms. And Oshawott isn't out in every single BW episode despite what some may say.

Piplup on the other hand, while a good Pokemon in his own way, was one of those Pokemon that really felt like it was just in the cast for promotional purposes. It just seemed like everything Piplup did was meant to get kids interested in merchandise and it obviously worked. Sometimes it felt like he appeared more than Pikachu just because of how active he seemed to be; he was probably the most active Pokemon the anime has ever seen to be honest. I just remember him getting into all sorts of trouble throughout DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Piplup on the other hand, while a good Pokemon in his own way, was one of those Pokemon that really felt like it was just in the cast for promotional purposes. It just seemed like everything Piplup did was meant to get kids interested in merchandise and it obviously worked. Sometimes it felt like he appeared more than Pikachu just because of how active he seemed to be; he was probably the most active Pokemon the anime has ever seen to be honest. I just remember him getting into all sorts of trouble throughout DP.
    Well, this is exactly the reason I, and I think most people, complain about Oshawott. The only reason he didn't evolve is for promotional purposes. And while at first he was competent in battle and manage to beat Pansage, Blitzle and Krokorok, his character had a 180° twist at some point and now all he does seems to be meant to get kids interested in merchandise.

While Oshawott doesn't appear every single episode, he did appear in 69 episodes so far in BW, against 48 appearances of Pignite, and only 39 of Snivy (Thanks, Pepsi_Plunge ) . He is the one who appeared the most. And, just like you said about Piplup, it feels like he appears more than Pikachu because of how active it is.

I think pretty much all what you said about Piplup applies for Oshawott. So now maybe you can understand why some people are bothered by Oshawott.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    He can't win because of his poor development,
    Regardless, people STILL would not like him. I apologize if you're not one of those who hate him because he's not Paul, but many others do. I can't agree with this when Paul had poor development (AND bad writing in addition).

his lack of a team outside of Serperior,
    I agree that Serperior was shown way too much.

and his crappy written rivalry.
    It was really only badly written at the end, and maybe the very beginning.

He only helped Ash discover Oshawott was keeping his eye closed during Aqua Jet, unlike Paul who constantly got Ash to question his own training methods and improve upon them. He also the worst league match in the history of this show for a main rival.
    Which got thrown out of the window after DP. What was the point?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    The reason is because his rivalry with Ash didn't seem to have much tension if at all. Say what you will about Paul but at least, he and Ash's rivalry had some form of tension.
    All I saw was Gary-Stu Paul being glorified to high heaven just to make his actions seem more justified.

With Trip, it feels very anti-climatic. Their final battle in the league being the writers just giving up on him.
    I agree, but at least Trip is a good character, and isn't shoehorned in certain episodes just so he can go "Hmph, pathetic." And at least his actions weren't glorified (seriously, how could ANYONE say Paul has a "Diferent training method"? What kind of cheap writing is this??
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

Regardless, people STILL would not like him. I apologize if you're not one of those who hate him because he's not Paul, but many others do. I can't agree with this when Paul had poor development (AND bad writing in addition).
    I'm not gonna lie and say I hated Trip, but he just was not impressive from a rivalry standpoint. Okay he had a personality, but that doesn't win you battles. You can tell your poorly written when your losing every tournament until you have a haxed out Grass starter, but then lose in the League Prelims.

I agree that Serperior was shown way too much.
    I blame the writters for literally giving Trip a team of Pokemon that other people use to death. There just was nothing interesting outside of Serperior and Conkeldurr (I guess Lampent could count). Tranquil appeared decently under Ash, Vanilish just wasn't special and Frillish and Jellicent appeared way too much later down the line.

It was really only badly written at the end, and maybe the very beginning.
    That was basically his entire run right there, he basically never showed up during midway through.

Which got thrown out of the window after DP. What was the point?
    Because Best Wishes basically said "Screw Ash's improvement, lets make him a new trainer again"
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 1st April 2013 at 8:56 PM.

Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast