Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

- TRio must leave before the X and Y anime begins. Honestly, I really feel they have nothing more to add to the series, and the writers can't seem to decide what to make them. Indecision here has led to bad choices which led to bad writing in their case in BW, no matter whether you're a fan of serious, serious and funny, or funny TRio.
    - I actually liked that BW tried to go beyond the cookie-cutter formula, but it wasn't executed so well.
    - There are almost no emotional moments in the Pokemon anime anymore. It's the same "GOODY-GOODY! YEAH! ALL HAPPY! FRIENDSHIP FTW!" attitude. No real sadness, no believable pain, and when it is present, it doesn't come off as believable anymore.
    Last edited by Dwail8023; 16th February 2013 at 8:28 PM.
    "If Pikachu becomes a Raichu, I might be able to win that badge. On the other hand, to make it evolve just to fight...I would be just like Surge...Pikachu, what do you want to do? I really wanna beat that Surge, but I also don't want to force you to evolve if you'd be happier staying the way you are now." -- OS Ash, ESS

Opinions About:
    1. The Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. The English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 1-8) > The Pokemon Company International (Seasons 9-17)
    3. The Games: XY > BW > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    4. Pokemon: The Origin: Excellent: 94.7/100.
    5. The Movies: OS > AG > XY (Prediction) > DP = BW
    6. Team Rocket: http://ultraericthered.tumblr.com/po...d-off-for-good

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    - There are almost no emotional moments in the Pokemon anime anymore. It's the same "GOODY-GOODY! YEAH! ALL HAPPY! FRIENDSHIP FTW!" attitude. No real sadness, no believable pain, and when it is present, it doesn't come off as believable anymore.
    Agreed, though I think it's a split within the fandom 50/50
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I did not like most of Johto although that's not an unpopular opinion.

It's hard for me to think of anything I like that others really don't in terms of the general consensus.

I never found Team Rocket funny in any series they have been in

I think May's rivals are highly overrated and are constantly being used to compare to Dawn's, unfairly.

The Original Trio wasn't the greatest thing ever in the anime and had I not been a kid, I would have wanted Brock and Misty to leave well before Johto. Both had annoying qualities and outlasted their welcome. Once Ash tamed Charizard, it was clear he didn't need coaches anymore.

Ash vs Paul in the League was too long and Infernape pretty much made the rest of Ash's Sinnoh team seem pointless. If it was a 3 on 3, then I would have no problem with it. But it taking out half of a team just to show how much it didn't need Paul and how much Ash was better for him was ridiculous.

I loved Ash and Tobias' battle and I felt it was a nice end to the League. It showed that Ash isn't some run of the mill Trainer anymore and it takes pretty much Legendaries to really knock him down.

Best Wishes, despite trying out new ideas like Ash rotating his team, has been one huge disappointment and has taken the series a huge step back compared to DP

I've found Iris and Cilan annoying from Day 1 and still believe it.
    Last edited by deathseer; 16th February 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

I enjoyed Ash vs Tobias, which people seem to despise.

I also didn't really enjoy the final Ash vs Paul battle, it dragged on too long for me and was quite boring. Nobody seems to agree with me apparently.

Well then...

-Oshawott is my favorite of Ash's Unovian team and I think he's also one of his strongest.

-I think Cameron was a great rival and trainer. Just because he's stupid doesn't mean he can't be a good trainer. I mean, up to Sinnoh (maybe Hoenn) Ash showed us that... :P

-I think Unfezant is now one of Ash's strongest Pokemon from Unova. It was good against Tr who beat Pikachu so... :P

-I think Dawn had better character development than May. May seemed to get way to OP once her Silcoon evolved, while Dawn had a lot of episodes dedicated to her creating new moves and stuff for the contests...

Continuing where I left off from.
    8: Despite growing up in OS era I do not consider the group of Ash, Misty, and Brock anything special nor do I rank them higher on the card for a return then the likes of May, Dawn, Max, Iris, Cilan, and/or Tracey. Doesn't matter if they were first. Many new kids grew up with AG, DP and BW anyway. To them, those characters are more iconic to them.
    9: Episode N to me felt like a desperate attempt to get higher ratings on the show and they just put N's name in the title to get his legion of fangirls to watch. It was clever mind you, but it feels and sounds like nothing but fanservice. Especially with how short it sounds like it's going to be.
    10: I think the Pokemon Master goal is lame now, because it doesn't seem obtainable and it's a lame excuse to keep Ash on the show forever. They don't even mention Pokemon Masters in the games much anymore. It use to be exciting but now that it's a imaginary trophy that cannot be obtained I find it lacking.

More to come later. I'm still not done.
    Edit: Here's number 11 while it's fresh in my mind.
    11: I dislike how the champions and the Elite Four are portrayed on the show. It wasn't always as bad as it is now, I mean Prima or Lorelei actually looked somewhat beatable in the Orange Islands, I mean yeah she was overpowered but compare her to how Cynthia, Flint, and Bertha are she looks like a Gym Leader. So I'm expected to believe Ash can someday beat someone like Cynthia and her uberchomp that can breeze off a Blizzard attack with what? His Charizard? Bull! The Champions and E4 look like cheap broken as heck trainers instead of tactical genius battlers they should be. How is Ash ever suppose to win against them when he actually does train yet these guys are the kings and queens of cheapness? He's been training Pokemon for like over 5 years and it still looks like he'll never be as good as them. It's frustrating just to think about it.
    Last edited by Platinum fan.; 17th February 2013 at 12:23 AM.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

It seems like the only reason some people still like watching Johto is the 4kids voice actors in the dub, because if it weren't for the old voice cast the Johto arc would have been forgotten about completely.

I guarantee that it Johto wasn't dubbed by 4kids the few people who defend it wouldn't bother at all. It's a shame a good cast was spent in a not-so-good saga.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    It seems like the only reason some people still like watching Johto is the 4kids voice actors in the dub, because if it weren't for the old voice cast the Johto arc would have been forgotten about completely.

I guarantee that it Johto wasn't dubbed by 4kids the few people who defend it wouldn't bother at all. It's a shame a good cast was spent in a not-so-good saga.
    That might be one of the main reasons for me. lol.
    "If Pikachu becomes a Raichu, I might be able to win that badge. On the other hand, to make it evolve just to fight...I would be just like Surge...Pikachu, what do you want to do? I really wanna beat that Surge, but I also don't want to force you to evolve if you'd be happier staying the way you are now." -- OS Ash, ESS

Opinions About:
    1. The Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. The English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment (Seasons 1-8) > The Pokemon Company International (Seasons 9-17)
    3. The Games: XY > BW > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    4. Pokemon: The Origin: Excellent: 94.7/100.
    5. The Movies: OS > AG > XY (Prediction) > DP = BW
    6. Team Rocket: http://ultraericthered.tumblr.com/po...d-off-for-good

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    That might be one of the main reasons for me. lol.
    I agree, lol. Let's say Johto was exactly the same as we know it, same episodes/characters/everything...but would you care about it at all if the voice cast changed ages ago?
    Last edited by CyberCubed; 17th February 2013 at 3:02 AM.

To me Johto wasn't that bad really. It has some interesting filler episodes like Gligarman and the Shuckle Berry Juice and a few of the Johto battles were nice like Clair and Jasmine personally. Maybe little less fillers would have sufficed.
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 17th February 2013 at 3:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Well fuk u too

Some parts of Johto were pretty good, but I couldn't enjoy it overall. Felt like the writers were trying to duplicate Kanto and failed. The lack of development for the main cast and pokemon at the time didn't help matters.

A lot of people online now were too young to be in the fandom when Johto was originally airing, so they don't remember the initial reaction to the saga.

Speaking of Johto, I enjoy the fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I don't mind the ones that introduce a new Pokemon (like the Shuckle one), and I don't really consider those to be fillers. Meeting new Pokemon is one of the objectives, therefore not filler. True filler are episodes like that stupid fat pidgey island nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    I think May's rivals are highly overrated and are constantly being used to compare to Dawn's, unfairly.
    Agreed about Drew and Soledad, though Harley was pretty singular imo enjoying in his feminine, malicious personality resorting to all kind of tricks to eliminate May from competition.

The Original Trio wasn't the greatest thing ever in the anime and had I not been a kid, I would have wanted Brock and Misty to leave well before Johto. Both had annoying qualities and outlasted their welcome. Once Ash tamed Charizard, it was clear he didn't need coaches anymore.
    To be fair they still helped him about strategies in Johto during Whirl islands, in league, before battling gym leaders like Pryce etc. As well providing moral support like their successors did, which always played valuable role in sense of helping Ash to deal with obstacles growing forward. Thanks to aliment and impact friends left on him.

Aside from that they had their goals and stories as well, just like May or Dawn had. Although they were focused to lesser degree.

While i respect your opinion, personally i didn't mind their stay past Kanto. They still brought lot of humor, tension and enjoyable dynamic into cast providing adventurous feeling in pokemon series following friends on journey while having fun together giving it identity in my opinion. Which allowed to get insight into Misty and Brock past, character development dealing with their issues or goals, have them contribute to resolution of various plots, catch new pokemon etc. Which i appreciated being valuable component of series

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Eh, i beg to differ. While older VA's are possibly one of factors, many people i met like Johto because of several other things. Such as Misty still being present in anime at that time with people enjoying in show more with her around. Enjoying in Silver conference league, various arcs like Red Gyarados, Larvitar, Whirl Cup, recurring pokemon like Delibird and several other episodes they view enjoyable always liking to go back and remind themselves of their content, enjoyable interactions and unexpected surprises. Such as return of Todd Snapp for Articuno arc. Or Koga sister Aya.

If you ask me among most enjoyable episodes from Johto were definitely ones centered on Misty and Brock, or when they played some subrole sharing focus with others. People can say what they want but such episodes usually had highly interesting interactions between characters, lot of melodrama, comic scenes and pšrovided some valuable growth for Ash sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    If you ask me among most enjoyable episodes from Johto were definitely ones centered on Misty and Brock, or when they played some subrole sharing focus with others. People can say what they want but such episodes usually had highly interesting interactions between characters, lot of melodrama, comic scenes and pšrovided some valuable growth for Ash sidekicks.
    The main problem with Johto fillers were that the plot was several times this:

Ash & Co. meet Cotd X.
    Cotd X needs help from them.
    Ash & Co. start helping Cotd X.
    TR comes and ruins whatever Cotd X wants/needs.
    Pikachu Tbolts Tr who blast off again.
    Cotd X finally achieves his dream/goal.
    They live happily ever after.

The same could be said for most fillers in general, it depends on how it's executed. For the most part, I felt that Johto's fillers were executed well.

The same could be said for most fillers in general, it depends on how it's executed. For the most part, I felt that Johto's fillers were executed well.
    That's true. The thing I think was lacking in Johto and Sinnoh fillers was the emotion part. In Kanto and Unova (especially Kanto) they added more than just plot. They added emotions, happy, sad, whatever. That's the reason you don't see many people hate on Kanto fillers, they were done well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    That's true. The thing I think was lacking in Johto and Sinnoh fillers was the emotion part. In Kanto and Unova (especially Kanto) they added more than just plot. They added emotions, happy, sad, whatever. That's the reason you don't see many people hate on Kanto fillers, they were done well.
    I think Hoenn has also very good fillers. I'm right now rewatching Hoenn and I think most of it's fillers are very good. For example, "Ready, Willing, and Sableye" is a great filler episode to me.
    Welcome back Charizard! I've missed you so much! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard-Fan View Post
    I think Hoenn has also very good fillers. I'm right now rewatching Hoenn and I think most of it's fillers are very good. For example, "Ready, Willing, and Sableye" is a great filler episode to me.
    I think Hoenn fillers were good too, just not (in my opinion) Kanto good.

Kanto in my opinion had the best fillers, then Unova tied with Hoenn, then Sinnoh and then Johto.
    I wonder who will still be active in the forums 3 years from now, from the people that are active now.

The main problem with Johto fillers were that the plot was several times this:

Ash & Co. meet Cotd X.
    Cotd X needs help from them.
    Ash & Co. start helping Cotd X.
    TR comes and ruins whatever Cotd X wants/needs.
    Pikachu Tbolts Tr who blast off again.
    Cotd X finally achieves his dream/goal.
    They live happily ever after.
    Arguably ill say Johto episodes contained more emotions to it imo than DP ones. We had several ones where characters experienced breakdown or tragic incident occurred. Such as "Ignorance is Blissey"showing us sad, touching backstory of Jessie trying to become pokemon nurse. "For Crying Out Loud"where Misty saved Marill life developing strong bond with it with sad heart having to let it go. "Joy of water pokemon " where Misty burst into tears when nurse Joy crushed her childhood dream of examining water types. "Bulbasaur Ambassador" where Bulbasaur tried to saved Oddish almost getting killed. "Charizard Chills" where Ash send Charizard to special training etc, etc.

And of course who can forget "Gotta Catch YA Later" which was one of saddest and most emotional episodes ever in my opinion, being saddening to see group which passed through so many things together becoming great friends having to split up.

Of course that JOhto had episodes you mentioned following formula of helping COTD about their problems, but honestly so did AG, DP, BW and even Kanto.

There were many episodes which didn't followed this pattern breaking out of mold such as: "Ring Masters" where Ash Snorlax fight Feraligator in sumo match winning first place, "Unbearable" where we had evil Teddiursa stealing pokemon food with Misty being guillible falling for its charm, "Sick Daze" where Ash and Misty had to do Brock chores when he was sick revealing how they are terrible cooks and rather disorganized showing how desperately they were dependent on Brock.

Mini competitions like one about extinguishing fire where Ash participated using Misty pokemon with Psyduck ruining everything, "Bug catching contest" which granted wasn't any special but Misty interactions and panic fear from bugs hitting everything left and right making episode worthwhile. Etc, etc.

And out of those which revolved around helping COTD good chunk was actually interesting imo. Like one where Ash Heracross battled Scizor, or Bulbasaur battling Hitmontop. One where Misty argued with fire trainer Egan due to her Poliwhirl failing in defeating Macargo, revealing why she likes water types giving her some good growth in character sense etc.

Looking back i actually think Johto had several memorable, interesting episodes which contained development for main characters and TR having more to it than just gyms and league with people often overlooking it focusing mainly on bad sides.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Arguably ill say Johto episodes contained more emotions to it imo than DP ones.
    This I'll agree with. The emotion in DP was laid on so thick that it came off as extremely forced. It felt more natural in Johto.

^ And all of the whining and *****ing (mostly as far as Paul was concerned) didn't help, either.

Ah, Gotta Catch Ya Later, Ash's last episode as a character.

I think Hoenn fillers were good too, just not (in my opinion) Kanto good.

Kanto in my opinion had the best fillers, then Unova tied with Hoenn, then Sinnoh and then Johto.
    I would rank sinnoh fillers with the same as hoenn since they were functionally the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I would rank sinnoh fillers with the same as hoenn since they were functionally the same.
    I guess the quantity of fillers in Sinnoh kind of a(e?)ffected my opinion on them....
    I wonder who will still be active in the forums 3 years from now, from the people that are active now.

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast