Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

This argument is getting so heated, lol. I'm going to put in an opinion of my own.

- Bianca wins the most improved rival in my books.
    Honestly speaking, like what joltik said, Bianca was the only BW rival that actually developed. She starts of as a klutz and complete bs in battles. She beats Trip, Ash's main rival and Georgia. She placed 64 in her first league, pretty good in the anime world, considering how Trip got placed at 128. She KO'd Kot's Samurott, who haxed Escavelier thanks to plot critical hit. She falls in love interacts with Virgil mainly and Ash's other rivals. Considering how she was more of a klutz than Ash from the beginning of OS, I say she had really improve. The only one that has came close is Georgia, who just caught a lot of Pokemon offscreen. Kotetsu and Virgil are too late in the series, while Burgundy just gets the writer's hate. Trip... his only improvement was evolving his one-man team Serperior. But yeah.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Did anyone judge Trip on his own accord and tune out Paul?
    I did and even on his own, he's still a lackluster rival. Maybe an okay character alone but they really failed at selling him at Ash's main rival. Their league battle (which was one-on-one) cemented this.

You want Ash to get everything with little struggle don't you?
    Seriously? You're playing that card? Now I know you're twisting everyone's words against them.
    Last edited by matt0044; 3rd April 2013 at 1:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I did and even on his own, he's still a lackluster rival. Maybe an okay character alone but they really failed at selling him at Ash's main rival. Their league battle (which was one-on-one) cemented this.
    Let's have honest hour here, do you honestly think the majority of the community judged Trip by his own accord and didn't label him a Paul clone? I mean, I don't care for Trip either, but this can't be ignored.

Seriously? You're playing that card? Now I know you're twisting everyone's words against them.
    You really should learn to debate the subject and not the person. Ash will never be made as prevalent in battles as you want him to be. He has to struggle because Pokemon is pretty much a game based marketing anime that exist mainly to sell merchandise and Ash is pretty much a typical Shounen Hero doing heroic things, saving the day, and using friendship and all that. He will struggle the most as the main character and have the most to overcome and be made out to the most "on top" at the end of his respective arc. Pokemon follows a predictable formula of events, badges, rival, league, etc. New trainer or no new trainer Ash is gonna lose, I'm surprised people are still so up-in-arms over Trip's Snivy smashing Pikachu in episode one when it was obvious even back then that would happen. If you're that bothered by the show having to catering a certain new audience of viewers and Pikachu you probably shouldn't be watching. I will, to this very day, never understand why some watch this show despite hating it so much. Ash is a "coming of age" character, that's just how it is. He would have lost to any trainer, Trip or no Trip. His Shounen status coupled with his role in this specific anime is pretty much a catch-all for why he'll continue to lose(and win) against opponents of all strength in this anime.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    This argument is getting so heated, lol. I'm going to put in an opinion of my own.

- Bianca wins the most improved rival in my books.
    Honestly speaking, like what joltik said, Bianca was the only BW rival that actually developed. She starts of as a klutz and complete bs in battles. She beats Trip, Ash's main rival and Georgia. She placed 64 in her first league, pretty good in the anime world, considering how Trip got placed at 128. She KO'd Kot's Samurott, who haxed Escavelier thanks to plot critical hit. She falls in love interacts with Virgil mainly and Ash's other rivals. Considering how she was more of a klutz than Ash from the beginning of OS, I say she had really improve. The only one that has came close is Georgia, who just caught a lot of Pokemon offscreen. Kotetsu and Virgil are too late in the series, while Burgundy just gets the writer's hate. Trip... his only improvement was evolving his one-man team Serperior. But yeah.
    Bianca gotten exactly zero character development, on the surface she's been the exact same character since day one. Trip and Georgia are the only one's whom have had development so far in this whole series rival wise, Trip's development is pretty much a YMMV situation however. Bianca has not changed one bit, no going from being crappy at battling to being decent at battling is not development. Even Bianca's "competence" in the Clubsplosion was simply just an illusion, as she still fawns over Fighting-type Pokemon(Riolu) and let her comedic behavior overtake her in battle.

EDIT:Welp, I'm done. I have to get ready for school and literally don't feel like doing this anymore.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 3rd April 2013 at 1:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    You really should learn to debate the subject and not the person. Ash will never be made as prevalent in battles as you want him to be. He has to struggle because Pokemon is pretty much a game based marketing anime that exist mainly to sell merchandise and Ash is pretty much a typical Shounen Hero doing heroic things, saving the day, and using friendship and all that. He will struggle the most as the main character and have the most to overcome and be made out to the most "on top" at the end of his respective arc. Pokemon follows a predictable formula of events, badges, rival, league, etc. New trainer or no new trainer Ash is gonna lose, I'm surprised people are still so up-in-arms over Trip's Snivy smashing Pikachu in episode one when it was obvious even back then that would happen. If you're that bothered by the show having to catering a certain new audience of viewers and Pikachu you probably shouldn't be watching. I will, to this very day, never understand why some watch this show despite hating it so much. Ash is a "coming of age" character, that's just how it is. He would have lost to any trainer, Trip or no Trip. His Shounen status coupled with his role in this specific anime is pretty much a catch-all for why he'll continue to lose(and win) against opponents of all strength in this anime.
    Yeah, he would've lost. It's how he loses that tends to make or break the battle. But I never said Trip had anything to do with that.

Funny you should say Ash is a coming-of-age character. Seriously, that was comedy gold.

And just because this is how things are and always will be doesn't deprave us of the right to disagree with it. This is the sort of this I will not roll over and accept.

Let's have honest hour here, do you honestly think the majority of the community judged Trip by his own accord and didn't label him a Paul clone? I mean, I don't care for Trip either, but this can't be ignored.
    Some did use Paul as a comparison (a vocal minority, I'm sure), some judge Trip as he was alone and some both. But calling him a "Paul clone" isn't too far from the truth. At least it's not hard to come to that conclusion. It's like the staff saw how Paul was well-received (maybe not but who knows) and tried to copy his success with another Anime-only rival (as in no basis in the game) with poor results.
    Last edited by matt0044; 3rd April 2013 at 3:23 PM.

Ash is NOT my favorite character. Never has been, and will be. Also not a least favorite, either. Here are my favorites/least favorites.

NOTE: ~ is the split between favorite and least favorite

Kanto- Meowth, AJ & Duplica ~ Damien
    Orange- Meowth, Tracey ~ ???
    Johto- Meowth ~ Trinity
    Hoenn- Max, Timmy ~ Drew, May, Harley
    BF- Tucker ~ Solidad
    Sinnoh- Holly ~ Barry (Tag Battle arc, he was okay afterwards), Paul, Jessie, Tobiass, Kenny, Cynthia (I never really saw her appeal, in either the games or the anime, though she's okay in BW.)
    Unova- Trip, Burgundy, Iris, Team Rocket (all) ~ Shamus

Edit: forgot Harley and Timmy
    Last edited by Brownie; 16th April 2013 at 2:32 AM.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

I guess I only have a hand full of favorite characters in this anime. Most of them are okay or I don't like.
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Gothitelle K View Post
    I guess I only have a hand full of favorite characters in this anime. Most of them are okay or I don't like.
    Which ones do you like/dislike the most?
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

I don't have many favorites, but here I come (order by series, not importance):

Humans
    Ash (excluding BW), May, Max, Paul (as a rival, not his character), Barry, Cilan, Luke, Bianca, Virgil

Pokemon Main Cast
    Charizard, Bayleef, Totodile, Sceptile, Buizel, Ambipom, Croagunk, Gliscor, Gible, Snivy, Leavanny, Krookodile
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Which ones do you like/dislike the most?
    Hm, Geechisu, Musashi, Jupiter and Matsubusa are the ones that are favorites. Satoshi, Seger-Hakase, Sakaki, Akagi, Kojiro, Nyasu (Rocket-Dan) Saturn and Hikari are awesome as well.

The ones I can say I don't like are Flint (Peirce), the majority of Aqua-Dan and Haruka. Matori and Akuroma... they are okay but... yeah. N is in the middle on this one.
    Last edited by はるひ; 3rd April 2013 at 4:23 PM.
    岩根雅明=♡

For Pokemon, I like:

Kanto- Meowth, Psyduck, Arbok ~ ???
    Orange- Meowth, Snorlax ~ N/A
    Johto- Cyndaquil, Meowth, Pineco~ Noctowl
    Hoenn- Torchic, Treecko ~ Wobbuffet
    Sinnoh- Gible, Ambipom ~ Chimchar, Ambipom
    Unova- Persian, Tepig/Pignite ~ Axew (Lost at the League)

For Pokemon, I like:

Kanto- Meowth, Psyduck ~ ???
    Orange- Meowth, Snorlax ~ N/A
    Johto- Cyndaquil, Meowth, Pineco ~ Noctowl
    Hoenn- Torchic, Treecko ~ ???
    Sinnoh- Gible, Ambipom ~ Chimchar, Ambipom
    Unova- Persian, Tepig/Pignite ~ Axew (Lost at the League)
    Um, what? You both love and hate Ambipom?
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

To keep this on topic, I wish Tracey didn't have to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Um, what? You both love and hate Ambipom?
    That's right.

I do agree, but I think they were at their best in S1-2, but I don't hate the Johto cast. Here's my order (main cast only):

Indigo = Orange > Johto = BW > AG > DP

Now for everyone:

BW > Indigo > Orange > the rest.
    I can see from where your coming, and to this day i find how dynamic between OS characters felt spontaneous and unforced giving out impression of genuine group of friends which developed strong bond feeling like family.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I think we're giving the OS a bit too much credit there... I mean I haven't watched it since I was younger, but the dynamic wasn't all there from what I remember. Misty and Brock rarely did anything outside of comment on battles. I can't remember the two actually having any honest conversation outside of Ash's Battles.
    Not true, Misty and Brock actually had several memorable moments together. Such as talking about romance with Misty giving him advices how to approach girls like Suzie, Temaku etc. Giving moral support to each other ad providing great deal of care when someone was in danger, such as when Brock got sick. Joked or got on each other being annoyed with his obsession over girls or certain pokemon coming up with snarky remarks , or vice versa with Brock trying to shut her up. Along with often having private talks together about Ash and how to prevent him from going in trouble.

Hell i remember they even went as far as dancing together on one occasion.

Out of all girls Brock seemed to have best bond with Misty imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    The only time Ash and Misty ever talked was when they were arguing, otherwise it was basically two people following Ash for odd reasons, but slightly more believable then Iris just following Ash for no given reason" That being said, BW does have the entire cast interact most of the time.
    That's not true either. Whether it was Ash or Misty they often came up with pranks and various jokes about each other in endearing friendly manner. Such as Ash teasing her for fearing bugs, or certain pokemon like Larvitar not wanting to approach her. Misty tricking him in wearing costume of apple or pokemon when they tried to lure Snorlax or Octillery.

Showed lot of concern when either side was in danger being thankful for help they receive, such as when Ash was poisoned by Vileplume, when they got separated in forest with Ursaring etc. Misty often gave him moral support and encouragement to train instead of fooling around, or not to get too ridged preventing him from falling for Tr traps raising up his spirit whenever he was depressed, or let down having many moments of laugh, talk about their desires or fun, but annoyance too.

Its all matter of opinion of course, but when it comes to group dynamics overall i can say OS cast was my favorite one in terms of dynamic with no one feeling left out.

Speaking of group dynamics my order is:OS> BW> AG> DP.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 3rd April 2013 at 4:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Out of all girls Brock seemed to have best bond with Misty imo.
    This I can agree with, his bond with the other two was minimal (at best).

I don't hate Piplup, unlike many, he was the least of the anime's problems for me.
    Typhlosion's first appearance was wasted.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

- The show has been strung out for far too long now. I wish the anime ended a long time ago. I now think it's just the same thing over and over again, with an overall decrease in quality with each successive saga.
    - I only prefer AG to BW because I still have to listen to Team Rocket's TPCi voices in BW for the whole saga (as opposed to only one season of AG), Ash is still 10 and has managed to regress of all things in the Unova arc, and TRio now has the distinct personality of a block of wood and stone mixed together now.
    - I care absolutely nothing for the original JPN version of the series, as I can't find any episodes of it anywhere (other than early Kanto and the Isshu/Unova regions).
    - I'm amazed how little I care for the newer arcs of the series in general as far as the show goes, yet I still watched them just to avoid being labeled "nostalgic" when I genuinely believe this anime is worse than when it started.
    - There's no believable or genuine emotion in the newer seasons. When they attempt to bring it out, it comes off as shallow and forced.
    - The last show I would watch for any form of maturity is the Pokemon anime. Hence why I don't care for AG's more mature aspects and most of DP.
    I watch it so I can feel like a child at heart again. With DP, I couldn't do that at all.
    - Watching this show for 15 years straight can drive someone bat**** crazy. lol.
    - The only things I genuinely liked about DP were the Ash and Paul rivalry, and the League.
    - The only things I genuinely liked about BW were Cilan, Iris, and Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I don't hate Piplup, unlike many, he was the least of the anime's problems for me.
    Typhlosion's first appearance was wasted.
    Agreed on both statements.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th April 2013 at 3:33 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I now think it's just the same thing over and over again, with an overall decrease in quality with each successive saga.
    Agreed. Most episodes and plots now are simple rewrites and reshuffles of episodes from past sagas. Only the arcs are a bit more original.

- I'm amazed how little I care for the newer arcs of the series in general as far as the show goes, yet I still watched them just to avoid being labeled "nostalgic" when I genuinely believe this anime is worse than when it started.
    Same. I don't get much hyped anymore. Interested, yes. Hyped, nope.

- There's no believable or genuine emotion in the newer seasons. When they attempt to bring it out, it comes off as shallow and forced.
    I think the same. Even Iris's sad backstory didn't stir me like... Butterfree or even Dustox goodbyes.

---

Speaking of Piplup, I find his English voice much less annoying than his Japanese one. For some reason, I can't stand "Pochama" and his "Pocha pocha!", but I have no problems with "Piplup" and his "Pip piplup!".
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Agreed. Most episodes and plots now are simple rewrites and reshuffles of episodes from past sagas. Only the arcs are a bit more original.

Same. I don't get much hyped anymore. Interested, yes. Hyped, nope.

I think the same. Even Iris's sad backstory didn't stir me like... Butterfree or even Dustox goodbyes.

---

Speaking of Piplup, I find his English voice much less annoying than his Japanese one. For some reason, I can't stand "Pochama" and his "Pocha pocha!", but I have no problems with "Piplup" and his "Pip piplup!".
    I agree. I mean, I don't hate the newer arcs, but I hate when anyone who likes the older arcs more is labeled a nostalgic moron who never gives the newer arcs a chance.

Butterfree had the best goodbye, IMO. Dustox was good, too. Iris' story was nice as well, but like you said, it didn't stir me to that effect.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th April 2013 at 9:45 PM.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Now that's an unpopular opinion.

-I actually didn't have as big a problem with Piplup as everyone else, yeah he could be overbearing at times but I still thought he had some golden moments.(Glaceon, Gallade/Glameow, Prinplup) even though I thought the majority of his screentime was crap and only served to further cause my patience with him to decrease and annoyance to increase. Not to mention he became good friends with Pikachu and at least had a personality, despite him stagnating most of DP he was still somewhat fun in battles and not very much at all in appeals.

Sis, I've never heard such blasphemy. Repent!

But seriously, I disagree. I mean I'm not a huge Piplup fan but I thought his Japanese voice was cute. I really hated his dub voice because it was too high-pitched and it really got on my nerves. While we're on the subject, I'd just like to say that I dislike most of TPCi's dub voices, which I know has become an unpopular opinion on these forums recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Sis, I've never heard such blasphemy. Repent!

But seriously, I disagree. I mean I'm not a huge Piplup fan but I thought his Japanese voice was cute. I really hated his dub voice because it was too high-pitched and it really got on my nerves. While we're on the subject, I'd just like to say that I dislike most of TPCi's dub voices, which I know has become an unpopular opinion on these forums recently.
    I went from absolutely hating TPCi's dub voices myself to just being...neutral...on them, unless I play a clip of the 4Kids dub voice for a char to their successor. I try not to do that anymore, because then I just get dejected and upset. I feel the only way I was able to get past them was to accept that the voice actors merely had different ways of playing the characters.

It's kinda sad when I look back on it: I'd really wanna see how Taylor would've done Ash in Sinnoh or Unova and so on. lol.

I saw a clip requested by a fan of her saying this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuQpeVy0jVY

Gotta say, I do miss the 4Kids dub voices.

My greatest unpopular opinion would be that I prefer all of the older anime series to the newer ones in the English dub.

Personally, VAs like Sarah or Bill could probably shine greatly in roles where they're given good direction and not taking over for someone as a soundalike.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Personally, VAs like Sarah or Bill could probably shine greatly in roles where they're given good direction and not taking over for someone as a soundalike.
    I agree with you myself. They're talented VAs, but I feel they'd be better suited for roles like the ones you mentioned. Not taking over for others, and given good voice direction, they could really shine.

I loved Bill's Tucker voice. He did a fantastic job with that. He's got excellent range, too.

I think Sarah did a great job as Rhonda from "Sinnoh Now!" and did a solid job as Buneary.

Really, the issue I have with the TPCi voices myself is that they're taking over for people who once did roles, and as I grew up with the dub, people who I feel honestly shined in them (Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart, respectively, as opposed to Sarah Natochenny and Bill Rogers for me). It's pretty depressing to see that my fav VAs on the entire dub of the series are long gone and never going to be playing the characters they established in the dub in the first place. Oh well, I've been trying to suck it up the best I can.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 5th April 2013 at 4:43 AM.

I do not like Mijumaru.

This is an extremely unpopular opinion among the staff.

Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast