Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1371

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Seriously, I'd like to know his reasoning behind that. I don't think there was ever an active character that was more irrelevant to their series than DP Brock, and Cilan has been an absolute treat for the relatively small amount of time he's been a featured character in episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeice View Post
    Seriously, I'd like to know his reasoning behind that. I don't think there was ever an active character that was more irrelevant to their series than DP Brock, and Cilan has been an absolute treat for the relatively small amount of time he's been a featured character in episodes.
    Agreed.

Literally the only high point of Brock in DP was him seeing Uxie and helping out in the Galactic finale. He did get a few fillers early in DP, but after that the writers gave up on him again. I actually remember when DP first started people thought Brock was going to be "fixed" because we were already getting bored with him towards the end of AG....but somehow he became even worse written.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    [Maybe some people just aren't fans of the guy (Cilan, not DP Brock). I'm not much a fan of either, to be honest.]
    Agreed. I agree DP Brock was annoying but i still liked Brock better than Cilan. not saying i hated Cilan he just isnt on the same level as Brock.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by Hikatoshi26 View Post
    Agreed. I agree DP Brock was annoying but i still liked Brock better than Cilan. not saying i hated Cilan he just isnt on the same level as Brock.
    To be quite honest, it's hard to live up to Brock, if not impossible.

On the subject of character replacing, while I think the anime might benefit from replacing Ash, it wouldn't automatically make it good. I don't want to see Ash 2.0, or any rehash of any sort. Or any annoying character as the main one, period. It would be really hard for the replacement to be as good as Indigo League Ash to me.

I suppose replacing is the lesser of two evils, though.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

I actually never cared much for Brock (not saying I didn't like him though) xD; I think it was because when I was younger he'd embarrass me with his flirting gag. You know how sometimes characters just make you go ">////<;;;; Oh gosh please stop! *turns off volume*" I think I even hid my face with Tracey a bit when he'd draw girls. XD; I really don't know why flirts bothered me back then.
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 13th May 2013 at 7:31 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

In the early seasons Brock had a likeable character, which is why he originally became popular. As the show progressed it started disappearing and then it flat-lined completely in DP.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I actually never cared much for Brock (not saying I didn't like him though) xD; I think it was because when I was younger he'd embarrass me with his flirting gag. You know how sometimes characters just make you go ">////<;;;; Oh gosh please stop! *turns off volume*" I think I even hid my face with Tracey a bit when he'd draw girls. XD; I really don't know why flirts bothered me back then.
    So I'm not the only girl one around here who thinks that. XD

However I liked Brock, but only when he wasn't flirting anyone.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Agreed.

Literally the only high point of Brock in DP was him seeing Uxie and helping out in the Galactic finale. He did get a few fillers early in DP, but after that the writers gave up on him again. I actually remember when DP first started people thought Brock was going to be "fixed" because we were already getting bored with him towards the end of AG....but somehow he became even worse written.
    Brock's Croagunk was awesome and quite popular, so that was a high point too. As well as Happiny's role in the doctor episode and evolution, he had some great moments and got some nice character development in that episode. Unfortunately the writers were so focused on giving Ash and Dawn more screentime he got the middle finger a lot of the times. Happiny is essentially a Pokemon version of bam-bam so she could have been used more in battles, she just never did much battling outside of Togepi and a few others and never used Secret Power after learning it. Croagunk was the main battler, when he did he was entertaining. Though the Poison Jab gag got a bit old, he rocked. He should have made a few more baby captures imo. As a Breeder he raised Bonsly into a competent and mature Pokemon and did the same with Happiny, a Mantyke always seemed fitting for him imo if the writers wanted to develop him in more aspects. Unfortunately he didn't have a "quest" like Ash and Dawn so his development was kinda vague. Brock was at his best in Kanto in terms of personality, in terms of Pokemon personality and battling he was number one in AG. Croagunk and Happiny were good too.

Ah, the companions. To be truthful, I didn't care for the majority of them. :[
    Kasumi was alright. I didn't like Haruka all that much. I'm on the fence with Takeshi. He's a funny character most of the time. Hikari was the one I liked the most. And Iris as well. I liked her character. I didn't care much for Dento. :[
    岩根雅明=♡

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Brock's Croagunk was awesome and quite popular, so that was a high point too. As well as Happiny's role in the doctor episode and evolution, he had some great moments and got some nice character development in that episode. Unfortunately the writers were so focused on giving Ash and Dawn more screentime he got the middle finger a lot of the times. Happiny is essentially a Pokemon version of bam-bam so she could have been used more in battles, she just never did much battling outside of Togepi and a few others and never used Secret Power after learning it. Croagunk was the main battler, when he did he was entertaining. Though the Poison Jab gag got a bit old, he rocked. He should have made a few more baby captures imo. As a Breeder he raised Bonsly into a competent and mature Pokemon and did the same with Happiny, a Mantyke always seemed fitting for him imo if the writers wanted to develop him in more aspects. Unfortunately he didn't have a "quest" like Ash and Dawn so his development was kinda vague. Brock was at his best in Kanto in terms of personality, in terms of Pokemon personality and battling he was number one in AG. Croagunk and Happiny were good too.
    I was very excited when I first saw Cilan and how he would help the series as a Brock replacement. However, although Cilan is, imo, a much better battler than Brock, he just isn't the same. Brock had running gags galore. Cilan has two which show up very rarely. His hatred for Purrloin and him being a detective/sommelier of some sort.
    I'm currently working on a Pokemon fanfic titled "Sinnoh League - Bastion's Adventure". If you are interested, please give it a look!!!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8892264/...on-s-Adventure

Bastion's Current Team:

I am far from the largest Iris or Misty fan but i wouldn't call either the worst just the least developed in my opinion. Haruka and Hikari both had a linear definable goal (Top Coordinator) Misty and Iris both had more symbolic non linear goals (Water/Dragon Masters) It is just as vague as Ash wanting to be a Pokemon Master. They recently defined what a Pokemon Master is in Sinnoh when Ash vowed to become champion. Misty and Iris had no such definition of purpose. I just see it as they weren't 50% of the journey more of just Ashs' support group whereas May and Dawn (may especially) were 50% of the journey therefore deeper developement and progression.I wouldn't say that makes anyone better or worse that is purely conjecture. I love Hiakri but to say she is better than anyone is unfair I think.
    In reality majority of Misty character development came in emotional sense from adjusting to Ash, Brock, Pikachu etc, learning how to be more open and discover her own qualities breaking free from egocentric sisters influence, develop her own talent as trainer and learn how to become more responsible and confident in her own abilities.
    She had to grow up without parents in sisters shadow, having to prove herself to everyone and work hard for everything she accomplished.
    When Ash met her, she was short tempered girl exploding over everything, trying to cover up her own lack of confidence with temper not having much thrust toward anyone and giving out impression how she can take care of things on her own eve when that wasn't true. With time after she got know Ash and Brock better she started to soften up and open as person sharing with them her backstory and problems, gradually growing in more mature and level headed character which learned how to be more patient and take care of issues by her own not relying so much on her friends anymore which came to expression the most during Johto series and onwards in AG.

As result she earned sister respect, regained confidence which was staggered through constant disparage from older siblings and questioning from various people about her abilities as trainer, confront her childhood trauma Gyarados learning how to use it and toughen up/became more self reliant with various achievements such as win of races or water based competitions, placing high in tournaments like Whirl Cup and recognition from various characters serving as confirmation of what she learned and improvement she went through as trainer.

Granted in goal sense May, Dawn, even Iris to extent were more fleshed out with more being explored regarding their dreams. But as far as characterization goes and emotional growth ill be willing to say how Misty developed most as person after May in my opinion.
    While keeping her quirky and tomboyish aspect with writers eventually finding right balance between tough and softer side.

Which added more layers to her character and personality being very versatile and complex character imo.

As far as story goes i believe Dawn probably went through biggest growth though making huge improvement as coordinator learning how to combine various techniques to have them work together such as "Aura Whirlpool", " flame ice", "ice chandelier" etc, develop her own signature style as coordinator and proved herself to be worthy of getting measured right up to Johanna standards having what it takes to become top coordinator one day.

Either way in my opinion its quality of someone screen time and development he is going to receive which matters and not quantity. There fore each character had its strong and weak points objectively speaking not being superior to another and vice versa.

The very beginning of Johto while Ash still has Charizard and Squirtle is OK, and late Master Quest is pretty good.

Its really just the entire middle of Johto that's a mess, but there was the occasional good filler mostly about Team Rocket. I think the Team Rocket based fillers were the best ones in Johto, especially the Wobbufett episodes.
    Johto had its flaws,but it had more to like than dislike imo. Misty and Brock got more screen time and battled more than they did in Kanto, original trio still had great chemistry having several memorable moments there, we had some great arcs like Whirl islands and its cup, Red Gyarados, Larvitar, mini story arc with Clair, dragon temple and Dragonite and Silver conference was one of best leagues pokemon had imo.

As for fillers most of them were actually funny bringing entertainment Like "Heartbreak of Brock", "Hook,line and Stinker", "Hocus Pokemon" , "Snubull Snobery", "Fortune Hunters",One trick Phoney etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    Another unpopular opinion:
    Misty has the most absolute popular girls on the pokemon only because this is the girl during the "fad" of Pokemon. And in the fad, pokemon was way more popular than after the "fad".
    I have to disagree. People didn't liked Misty because she was first nor because of "fad". People liked her strong and independent character, personality, unique dreams of striving to become best while using one type(aka becoming water pokemon master) always standing up for the weak and trying to help people out.She was fiery, spunky and strong willed but she also had sweet and feminine side having girly aspect to her being passionate about several hobbies,which added to character substance while having sad backstory having to grow up in shadow of selfish sisters and prove herself to everyone making her easy to relate character.

May and Dawn (and maybe Iris) has more relative popularity than Misty, at least in Japan, with this order: Dawn > May > Iris > Misty.
    Judging by what i seen in online fandom, various polls, pokemon sites or in real life Misty always seemed to have just as big following like girls which came afterwards, arguably even stronger.

When taken in equation fact how only real demand is for her return still not waning down with various petitions, campaigns and complaints being present for years with attempt of writers bringing her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    When you have characters like TR, Misty, Brock and even Ash to a degree who people lost interest in over time, maybe it's a good thing that Iris is so short lived.
    Having character stay for longer is more blessing than curse imo compared to their leaving ending up halfway developed,eventually forgotten and relegated to status of minor characters despite having potential to offer more.

Since longer they stay they can be explored more as persons, have us learn more about those we like, have other sides of them being developed along with going through new adventures and further development.

Thus making them more recognized and accepted among wider group of fans having time to build popularity among new generations of viewers too.

Also Misty lasted only one more year than May or Dawn did so im not sure how her case is any different that's case with those two. To my knowledge most of those which liked character didn't grew sick of it.

I suppose replacing is the lesser of two evils, though.
    Maybe its just me but i would rather like that series ends with already established protagonist and cast treating pokemon as entity which followed their story like some other long running shows do, instead of slicing it in multiple alternate versions going all over again through more or less similar story and characters.
    If writers upgrade their writing i would rather want to see that improvement translating to Ash going on bigger, better things receiving sequel. As opposite to following newbie dealing with basics rinse and repeat.

Not to mention that would mean erase of all past companions and sagas killing any chances of seeing them and potential they might have to offer more again.

I know i wouldn't be interested into this and i reliably know there are many out there who feel same way.

In the early seasons Brock had a likeable character, which is why he originally became popular. As the show progressed it started disappearing and then it flat-lined completely in DP.
    Personally i enjoyed in Brock the most during Kanto, Johto and Hoenn series. He had many memorable moments , collected interesting pokemon and had subtle development stretched over long time span in learning new things about healing and pokemon care improving as breeder. In fact ill readily say how original trio or AG group dynamic wouldn't be half as memorable if he wasn't there.

In Sinnoh he had his moments, but fairly forgettable interactions with Dawn, sparse amount of focus and lack of importance was noticeable . As character Brock was enjoyable in Sinnoh to me when he got some chance to shine but lack of relevance to plot compared to focus which Ash and Dawn received made his character left out sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Maybe its just me but i would rather like that series ends with already established protagonist and cast treating pokemon as entity which followed their story like some other long running shows do, instead of slicing it in multiple alternate versions going all over again through more or less similar story and characters.
    If writers upgrade their writing i would rather want to see that improvement translating to Ash going on bigger, better things receiving sequel. As opposite to following newbie dealing with basics rinse and repeat.
    Oh, I definitely agree. I just think they have no idea what to do with Ash anymore, so a "clean slate" might be easier for them.

Of course, easier does not equate to better.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

I don't know...I'd feel a bit funny inside if there was a new protagonist written "better" than Ash. :/ Like it'd make Pokemon take a different route than what it has been. While that'd be in sense "better" it kind of changes the tone of the whole series by that way. I don't know. :/
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Had Cilan been in DP instead of Brock, the DP trio might have had really good group dynamics.

It wasn't just Brock himself that was handled poorly in DP, he dragged the entire main cast down. Even the Ash/Brock friendship felt like it barely existed in DP, which is bizarre given how long those two traveled together.

*Flies into thread on her broomstick*

What do you think of Masato??
    Masato is Max, right? If so, then it's funny because I rarely ever see anyone talk about him. It's like people forget that he was a traveling companion. There's just not much to say about him. He didn't have any Pokemon or any particular goal unless you count his ambition of running his dad's Gym someday, which was an impractical goal to begin with imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Buechs44 View Post
    I was very excited when I first saw Cilan and how he would help the series as a Brock replacement. However, although Cilan is, imo, a much better battler than Brock, he just isn't the same. Brock had running gags galore. Cilan has two which show up very rarely. His hatred for Purrloin and him being a detective/sommelier of some sort.
    I disagree about Brock having running gags galore (I actually prefer to call them "gimmicks"). He only had one as far as I can remember; his knack for flirting with any female that crossed his path. Cilan on the other hand has at least three major gimmicks and one of them shows up in every other episode; I'm talking about the whole "IT'S ____ TIME!!!!" thing and his occasional sparkly twirls.

Can everyone please stop the character debates? While you're not obligated to blandly list up your unpopular opinions and then leave forever, I think people are forgetting that this thread isn't meant to evolve into huge discussions in which people go back and forth on whether someone's opinion is correct or flawed, because there's no such thing as an incorrect opinion. Try to focus on sharing positions that are often/largely considered to be non-mainstream within the fandom.

Feel free to contest someone if you think their opinion isn't actually unpopular at all, or if they got their facts wrong, but please don't contest the opinions themselves. People have the right to think character/saga X was boring/the greatest/whatever etc. without you intervening and trying to convince them otherwise. Character bashing can be wordlessly reported instead of being replied to.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sushi; 13th May 2013 at 9:08 PM.

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal

I liked Max a lot in AG. I also enjoyed his interactions with Brock, May and Ash, especially with Ash.
    Welcome back Charizard! I've missed you so much! <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post

Masato is Max, right? If so, then it's funny because I rarely ever see anyone talk about him. It's like people forget that he was a traveling companion. There's just not much to say about him. He didn't have any Pokemon or any particular goal unless you count his ambition of running his dad's Gym someday, which was an impractical goal to begin with imo.
    Max was basically May's "out of the ball" Pokemon.

Much like Togepi, Piplup and Axew....Max functioned in that way for May.

Max was basically May's "out of the ball" Pokemon.

Much like Togepi, Piplup and Axew....Max functioned in that way for May.
    Well, he was also a Pokedex without batteries.

I actually didn't mind the dub switch from 4 kids to TPCI
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

I certainly didn't mind Piplup and Oshawott that much, they're very much alike. Ash's Oshawott = Dawn's Piplup in terms of personality and temperament. Actually I could tolerate Piplup a lot more than Oshawott.

Quote Originally Posted by karczx View Post
    I certainly didn't mind Piplup and Oshawott that much, they're very much alike. Ash's Oshawott = Dawn's Piplup in terms of personality and temperament. Actually I could tolerate Piplup a lot more than Oshawott.
    I loved Pochama and Mijimaru because I don't watch the dub. I also agree that they are similar which is why they were good friends lol.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

I loved Pochama and Mijimaru because I don't watch the dub. I also agree that they are similar which is why they were good friends lol.
    To me, dubs makes everything sound worse. I prefer original voice if anything. It captures the way they are intended to be enjoyed. We may think the writers and animators were 'horrible', but I think they had a few cards up their sleeve.

Piplup sounds better in the Dub.

In my opinon I think Iris was better written then Misty was.

Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast