Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

I agree that the DP Cast is really weak. But DP was more focused on Dawn and Ash rather than Dawn, Ash AND Brock. I'll give you that.

Also, about the giant Claydol part. 'Keystone Pops' says hi to you, and a Claydol reawakening also happened during the Buck episode. And how is DP predictable though? Many didn't expect Dawn to lose in her second contest for appeals in a row. No one expected for Ash to get 6-2'd by Paul at Lake Acuity. Who actually thought that Ash would be defeated by a team full of legendaries in the Sinnoh league? I'm not sure if anyone thought that Dawn would challenge Maylene. How about the part when Ambipom left at the most unexpected time? Who thought that Dawn would suffer a loss against Kenny, the so-called punch bag rival? I'm not sure about the general consensus here, but I am at the edge of my seat while watching the DP episodes.

On your opinion about Dawn/Ash's quests being dragged for too long, it's subjective, really subjective. Do you know what people complain about now? No training episodes for Ash in BW. Personally, I find them fine and not overdoing it. As for the shafted characters, there are always some in every saga. I agree Sinnoh had a fair share of them, but it's a 195 episode arc, how can you expect the writers to keep up the 'stress' on constantly having to allocate screentime. There's always this 'shafted' Pokemon in the group. I can only remember BW as of now (tired), so there are really shafted characters and Pokemon: Trip, Bianca, PALPITOAD, Boldore, Unfezant, Georgia and Burgundy, especially Burgundy come into mind.

Also, what's the difference between AG contests, really. The only changes I see is the bars being shorter. Also, DP Contest were as DEM as some of the AG ones I seen. That's, again, my personal preference. You're missing out on the fact that Zoey was the one that gave Dawn pressure rather than the stereotype arrogant rival. To be honest, I find a Zoey-esque rival better than an arrogant rival, and personally the writers should start working that on Ash in XY. Honestly, a lot of people complained about Trip because of the momentum and strength Paul had, and I think Paul and Gary are pushing the lines for arrogant rivals. I'm surprised writers didn't change the formula in BW, because, honestly they should have. I agree though, that Dawn should have more competent rivals. Kenny was a disappointment. I don't recall Nando having any battles with Dawn except his debut. Ursula was a joke. Yeah, Dawn needs better rival. However, Zoey is probably one of the best rivals I have seen in Pokemon so far.

Anyways, DP is the 'all time favourite' for me, so I get a bit annoyed when someone say something bad. Sorry if I provoked ya :P. I definitely loved it though. But like you said, personal bias/preference :3

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

The problem with DP is it did some things really well better than the other arcs, but then it did some things really poorly that dragged it down too much compared to the other arcs.

It seemed like the writers were way too focused on battling/training in DP, that they forgot how to writer actual characters with meaningful chemistry together.

They keep coming, but it feels like half the people on here are just repeating the same thing over and over again. I wonder if I am one of them?
    18: This was brought to my attention earlier and I agree with it. Kanto didn't feel like Kanto in BF. If you are going to revisit a old region, be kind enough to at least let the region feel like that region and not another one, hmm?
    19: All four female leads are overrated. Some more then others but all four of them are not as great as people make them out to be. None of them are perfect and they all have flaws that make them imperfect.
    20: Dawn's cameo was wasted in BW and is the worst return ever. Nothing happened, she didn't progress and if anything she regressed. Why did you even bring her? I seriously wish her special with Quilava was her final appearance on the show. Her cameo did not help her at all. It made me annoyed with the character to be honest.
    21: BW's legacy for me is probably going to be a negative one. Not really a unpopular opinion but still. The BW cast was way better then the DP one in terms of how they interacted but them solo is another story. Cilan I admit stands out and will be remembered for many thing. But IMO, and this is a highly unpopular opinion that many will hate me for, without Dragonite and her BW2 status, Iris feels forgettable. I wanted to like Iris but I'm still overall indifferent to the character and I have accepted that this will never change especially so late in the game.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I agree that the DP Cast is really weak. But DP was more focused on Dawn and Ash rather than Dawn, Ash AND Brock. I'll give you that.
    I think this is one thing that bugged me about DP. They tried to sell "Ash, Dawn and Brock" to be the best trio ever with the whole Mesprit,Uxie and Azelf thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan.
    19: All four female leads are overrated. Some more then others but all four of them are not as great as people make them out to be. None of them are perfect and they all have flaws that make them imperfect.
    I feel this way when I'm surrounded by their fanboys. XD
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 20th February 2013 at 3:55 PM.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    All four female leads are overrated. Some more then others but all four of them are not as great as people make them out to be. None of them are perfect and they all have flaws that make them imperfect.
    Well, yes, they have flaws, but don't you think that a good thing? A perfect character without any flaws would be boring. I'm a die-hard Misty fanboy, and I think that if Misty wouldn't have an anger problem, that I'd like her less: then she'd be too perfect, making her unrealistic. Flaws can help a character to be more interesting. A character should have both qualities and flaws.

.-...

Excuse me if I may say so, but i see Ash Dawn and Brock as better friends (in the sense of knowing each other well) then basically all of the trios. Entertaining? I admit somewhat boring comparatively, but there were plenty of funny faces and exaggerated lines and jokes and running gags and Pokemon interactions that kept me very much in tune with the cast. I honestly think that the reason most of all why people consider it the most boring is the pacing of the fillers and the overall fact that 191 episodes for 1 region was looooooong.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

In my opinon that I think Unova League was better then Sinnoh League when it come to it charaters because I think Sinnoh rival were ether dull or boring. I also can say that people is mad about this league because Ash step backwards in rank, well for those people saying that I say why Ash went to the top 4 in Sinnoh was to finish a story line with Ash, Paul and Infernape. After the story line was over they scew Ash over in a wrost way possiable by battling to legendaries that shouldn't be in the tournment in the first place. At least Ash had a fighting chance with Cameron and he could have won. I felt the battle with Cameron was better the Darkria dude.

Quote Originally Posted by p96822 View Post
    In my opinon that I think Unova League was better then Sinnoh League when it come to it charaters because I think Sinnoh rival were ether dull or boring. I also can say that people is mad about this league because Ash step backwards in rank, well for those people saying that I say why Ash went to the top 4 in Sinnoh was to finish a story line with Ash, Paul and Infernape. After the story line was over they scew Ash over in a wrost way possiable by battling to legendaries that shouldn't be in the tournment in the first place. At least Ash had a fighting chance with Cameron and he could have won. I felt the battle with Cameron was better the Darkria dude.
    But I don't honestly see the Tobias match as bad as people say it is. I can give a few reasons for my thinking as much.
    #1: I'm looking for a lot of epicish battles. As much as the tobias battle happened quickly, it used things like sleep talk, counter counter type of ideas, and eventually ash won out thanks to Sceptile.
    #2: While I know this is a story relevance rather then believability, the simple fact that someone overpowered as fu with legends beating Ash is to me, more believable and epic then the match with Cameron. Mind you, I'm not directly hating on the Cameron fight, because I'm actually okay with it. I just don't see the tobias match as that bad. It never broke my suspension of disbelief, just like the Charizard thing in the Kanto league didn't bother me, I actually thought it was cool. (It was more team rocket that was pissing me off. They basically forced him to use charizard.) But at the same time, I understand it was supposed to feel unfair, we were supposed to feel bad for ash.

There's another unpopular opinion. While I still rank the kanto league slightly low, I atcually liked the kanto league ending, at least in a story sense.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    .-...

Excuse me if I may say so, but i see Ash Dawn and Brock as better friends (in the sense of knowing each other well) then basically all of the trios. Entertaining? I admit somewhat boring comparatively, but there were plenty of funny faces and exaggerated lines and jokes and running gags and Pokemon interactions that kept me very much in tune with the cast. I honestly think that the reason most of all why people consider it the most boring is the pacing of the fillers and the overall fact that 191 episodes for 1 region was looooooong.
    Dawn and Brock had no chemistry. Brock seemed to only interact with Dawn when he was forced to or when Ash wasn't around.

I personally really like DP. I like the amount of development that Dawn got, and the variety in rivals. It had both dark, dramatic elements (Team Galactic, Hunter J) and pretty humorous ones (Conway, Barry), so that's a plus for me. However, I do have to admit that they totally forgot about Brock. He doesn't even show up in half the posters for DP. He always felt like a third wheel to me. And as CyberCubed stated above, Dawn and Brock had no chemistry whatsoever. He doesn't even follow Ash to save her in the Giratina Movie, when she's sucked into the Distortion World.

Anyway, one unpopular opinion of mine is that my favourite female lead is Iris. In my opinion she honestly had some good development, from being bossy and borderline jerk*ss to a mature (well, sort of) and talented person. Not to mention, I like her unruly and cheerful personality.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    But I don't honestly see the Tobias match as bad as people say it is. I can give a few reasons for my thinking as much.
    #1: I'm looking for a lot of epicish battles. As much as the tobias battle happened quickly, it used things like sleep talk, counter counter type of ideas, and eventually ash won out thanks to Sceptile.
    #2: While I know this is a story relevance rather then believability, the simple fact that someone overpowered as fu with legends beating Ash is to me, more believable and epic then the match with Cameron. Mind you, I'm not directly hating on the Cameron fight, because I'm actually okay with it. I just don't see the tobias match as that bad. It never broke my suspension of disbelief, just like the Charizard thing in the Kanto league didn't bother me, I actually thought it was cool. (It was more team rocket that was pissing me off. They basically forced him to use charizard.) But at the same time, I understand it was supposed to feel unfair, we were supposed to feel bad for ash.

There's another unpopular opinion. While I still rank the kanto league slightly low, I atcually liked the kanto league ending, at least in a story sense.
    Really what made me not like the Kanto League was the filler and Richie. When I rewacth the episode he didn't had any personality or charater

A lot of people mainly focus on the faults of DP, but i felt that it wasn't that bad compared to BW

I just hated BW. the plot lines were just so predictable. Cilan and Iris were funny, but other than that i wasn't really excited.
    Happiny is awesome

Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

Quote Originally Posted by *futachimaru* View Post
    A lot of people mainly focus on the faults of DP, but i felt that it wasn't that bad compared to BW

I just hated BW. the plot lines were just so predictable. Cilan and Iris were funny, but other than that i wasn't really excited.
    What do you mean by predictable plot line. Tell me an episode that was really bad in Bw

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    They keep coming, but it feels like half the people on here are just repeating the same thing over and over again. I wonder if I am one of them?
    Probably so. But you're not alone.

18: This was brought to my attention earlier and I agree with it. Kanto didn't feel like Kanto in BF. If you are going to revisit a old region, be kind enough to at least let the region feel like that region and not another one, hmm?
    Maybe it's because BF had brainleaders, contests, May, Max and none of the Kanto gymleaders were shown again?

You're right about them being overrated. But the XY girl will probably end up being overrated as well. There is nothing we can really do about that.

20: Dawn's cameo was wasted in BW and is the worst return ever. Nothing happened, she didn't progress and if anything she regressed. Why did you even bring her? I seriously wish her special with Quilava was her final appearance on the show. Her cameo did not help her at all. It made me annoyed with the character to be honest.
    I'm tired of hearing this crap too. Her cameo was just to be fair of all the other girls getting cameos. Not for her to make a land mark in Unova. And what if it becomes Iris's turn to do her cameo and get nothing done, will people b*tch and complain still? Probably so.

21: BW's legacy for me is probably going to be a negative one. Not really a unpopular opinion but still. The BW cast was way better then the DP one in terms of how they interacted but them solo is another story. Cilan I admit stands out and will be remembered for many thing. But IMO, and this is a highly unpopular opinion that many will hate me for, without Dragonite and her BW2 status, Iris feels forgettable. I wanted to like Iris but I'm still overall indifferent to the character and I have accepted that this will never change especially so late in the game.
    The interactions with the character in Best Wishes is good but that doesn't mean everything else is fine and dandy. There is alot of crap that is still left hanging in the air and I'm still not happy about it.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 21st February 2013 at 5:07 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Like BW, the beginning of DP was pretty amazing to me because for once, it seemed like Brock was getting steady development. And then it all went to hell -.-...
    Last edited by 1rkhachatryan; 20th February 2013 at 7:00 PM.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by p96822 View Post
    I didn't find Paul and Barry dull and boring. So I don't know who's opinion this is but atleast it's better than Trip, Bianca and Virgil who we got to see nothing from him. Conways was a good battler by the way. Better than Kenyan as far as strategy. However Nando didn't even need to be in that league. He was boring in the beginning and he was boring in the end.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 21st February 2013 at 5:08 PM.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Like BW, the beginning of DP was pretty amazing to me because for once, it seemed like Brock was get steady development. And then it all went to hell -.-...
    Croagunk not enough buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    No <.<!!!!!!
    Yeah I know how you feel. Piplup barely got the amount of screentime he deserved. I think we needed another 15 or so eps on him.

I found Hunter J's death very... unceremonious. The writers could've done so much more with her but no they write her off *snap* just like that. Hell, it's so abrupt that if 4kids were still kicking with Pokemon and edited the scene out, none would be the wiser as her fate. It was cool seeing a death in Pokemon (the TV series that is) but it would've been good to put more weight behind it. And without Ash getting one last face-off with her. They really dropped the ball with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Probably so. But you're not alone.

Myabe it's because BF had brainleaders, contests, May, Max and none of the Kanto gymleaders were shown again?

You're right about them being overrated. But the XY girl will probably end up being overrated as well. There is nothing we can really do about that.

I'm tired of hearing this crap too. Her cameo was just to be fair of all the other girls getting cameos. Not for her to make a land mark in Unova. And what if it becomes Iris's turn to do her cameo and get nothing done, will people b*tch and complain still? Probably so.

The interactions with the character in Best Wishes is god but that doesn't mean everything else is fine and dandy. There is alot of crap that is still left hanging in the air and I'm still not happy about it.
    I have no doubt every female character that enters the main cast will become overrated. It's to be expected at this point. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy the character. I enjoyed the coordinators, even if both are immensly overrated.

As far as the cameo goes, I didn't want Dawn to make a land mark in Unova. Just some progress on how she was doing in her contest quest. How many ribbons she has won, did she finally beat Zoey off-screen, maybe some new Pokemon, or a new battle style she might have made with her contest, anything. No progress was made with Dawn. I didn't expect Dawn to get the "May" treatment. That is asking for to much, I just wanted some updates on how she was doing goal wise and all we got was Piplup/Oshawott marketing, Mamoswine jobbing rather easily, no updates on her current progress since DP, Piplup/Oshawott marketing, Quilava having a unfinished match, Piplup/Oshawott marketing, Togekiss not doing anything, and Piplup/Oshawott marketing. Dawn doesn't even feel important anymore. Just the vessel Piplup uses to get on TV.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I will admit that BW has a very strong cast, but some of the episodes were just pointless. The oshawott loses his scalchop one was so stupid. Ash completely forgot about water gun, and they could have just made the shell smaller

also it seems too ironic and chliched that axew "coincidently" finds that shell randomly at the end.

that was one example
    Happiny is awesome

Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

Oshawott doesn't know water gun no more

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I feel this way when I'm surrounded by their fanboys. XD
    Same goes for every character lol
    岩根雅明=♡

Brock should have left at the latest when AG ended. Sometimes I think he probably should have just left at the end of Johto when Misty did, but then I remember I still liked Brock at the beginning of Hoenn which is why I didn't mind him coming back.

I started to get tired of him during Battle Frontier so I think that should have been his last arc. Barry could have replaced him for DP.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Barry could have replaced him for DP.
    Oh God! I don't think I could have handled Barry for 191 episodes.

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast