Thread: Tricking in the Magic Sands

Default Tricking in the Magic Sands

Hey, i made a trick team which took a fair amount of time and i was pleased with it, however thing is it was different from what i really wanted that my soul and heart wasn't in it. So i went back to the drawing board, i thought of my two favorite playstyles, which is sandstorm and Trick Room and decided of way to combine them two together, i now i needed a few things for it be truly effective, that was, a spinblocker, entry hazards, a sandstorm inducer and pokemon to abuse the said settings, i ruled out a fair amount of pokemon including late game sweepers as they are redundant when many powerful slow pokemon has prority, but alas here is the fruit of labour.

They all have IV's of 0

Jirachi @ Iron Ball
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Wish

I have fully replaced celebi, the reason being i ended up using celebi as a suicide lead and after its job was that was it, however jirachi in the instance is far better it come in repeaditily throughout the match set up trick room, provide wish support and genrally help out it's team mates with field effects, the added bonus of being immune to sandstorm also adds in the list of advantages. The ev spread is made so it gives one more EV in special defense meaning in a pokemon with download enters the field it will upgrade thier attack, which is usefull as most pokemon with download are special attackers.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Whirlwind
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake

i have chosen the hippo over the dinosaur because of the lower speed and STAB earthquake, whirlwind is to phaz powerful sweepers and to rack up entry hazard damage and with sandstrom it eventually adds up, i have now added ice fang instead of superpower. The reason being is that breloom is now my main fighting type and focus punch hits much much harder then hippowdons superpower ever could. Adding to this I can now free up a move slot on jellicent for a statuse move which is always useful for team support. Also ice fang can help kill the genies specifically landrous which otherwise causes problems for this team, adding to this dragons causes alto of problems as they are physical attackers on the whole and jellicent just couldn't take a hit unlike this behemoth.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Spore
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Focus Punch

I have done another replacment, this time it's from togekiss to breloom, the reason for having togekiss is for killing steel types and although i did it well for ones with a double weakness to fire it was to smaller niche to fill and ultimately it wasn't useful, so in its place is breloom. yet another slow powerhouse it useful for a number of reason, the first is its ability, with this team being suspectable to status poison heal helps with this adding to this poison heal outdoes the damage from sandstorm which is good news. Another benfit is it low speed which ensures under trick room conditions i can normally get a spore under belt and induce sleep without taking to much prior damage, sub and leech seed works very well and has been proven in gen 4, however with sandstorm the residual damage is quickened.lastly although it's a mono attacking set the only pokemon which are immune outright to focus punch are ghost types, and that is when i send scizor in to trap and kill them pursuit unless ofcourse its chandelure which is hardly seen in OU.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Surf

Jellicent serves a few important roles, firstly spinblocker, bulky water, status inducer, and lastly trick room setter. Alot of different roles which is why i chose leftovers and recover. I have chosen WoW as my team tends to have problems with physical attackers so this helps with brining choice banders down to earth with a burn, this now makes scale redundant so I have gone for the more powerful surf which also more reliable when compared to other moves such as hydro pump.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

The standerd set for him, it is tried and true and very effective at what it does. The rest should be self explantory, however i tend to bring him in more often then i should , the reason being i tend to do a type of voltswitch stragey so i may need the trick room which he easily provides due to magic guard, magic guard also makes him immune to sandstorm which is also helpful.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - Areial Ace
    - Pursuit
    - U-turn
    Classic scizor set, he comes in half-way during the match , scouts, then leaves, he is also my late game sweeper with bullet punch. not much to say really, he is immune to sandstorm which can help finish of enemies, he also works well with reuniclues as he traps the pokemon which shadow ball lacks to do.

Adding to this I am considering insomnia honchcrow to counter opposing breloom. I am also considering Xatu as a lead as I haven't got a spinner and this pokemon can serve as my counter to entry hazards with good prediction. Also he can set up trick room and has a fairly useful move pool, he would replace jirachi.
    Last edited by Rosez66; 26th February 2013 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Updates and changes.
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Also looking for female dream world moxie heracross and a miltank message me I have many dream world pokemon

Just from a glance, you may want an Iron Ball instead of a Macho Brace. It probably won't happen much, but if you swap Celebi into something like a Rotom-W using Trick, you'll be able to hit them with ground attacks.

Also, Shadow Ball is still probably better than Energy Ball. Ghost + Fighting already gets perfect coverage.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Rosez66 View Post
    Hey, i made a trick team which took a fair amount of time and i was pleased with it, however thing is it was different from what i really wanted that my soul and heart wasn't in it. So i went back to the drawing board, i thought of my two favorite playstyles, which is sandstorm and Trick Room and decided of way to combine them two together, i now i needed a few things for it be truly effective, that was, a spinblocker, entry hazards, a sandstorm inducer and pokemon to abuse the said settings, i ruled out a fair amount of pokemon including late game sweepers as they are redundant when many powerful slow pokemon has prority, but alas here is the fruit of labour.

They all have IV's of 0

Celebi @ Iron Ball
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Perish Song

This is an odd choice but the genral idea is to start of the match with trick room, afterwards promptly use stealth rock, by that time the opposition would have set up or attaked me so i fire off perish song to reduce the amount of time the sweeper can, well sweep. U-turn is pretty self explanable however it is used for taunt leads which would otherwise destroy this set. The item is to reduce my speed further otherwise celebi is out speed in and out of trick room depending on lead.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    - Whirlwind
    - Slack Off
    - SR
    - Earthquake

i have chosen the hippo over the dinosaur because of the lower speed and STAB earthquake, whirlwind is to phaz powerful sweepers and to rack up entry hazard damage and with sandstrom it eventually adds up, ice fang is take down dragons which otherwise destroys this team, slack off is for recovery.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder Wave
    - Toxic

This is very odd, i know but bear with me, i looked over his stats and he has extremly low speed so i thought of something, slow steel trapper? give it a go and it still does the job (Pun intended), and the status' are for when i switch in zone and the oppoenet switchs, the idea is to then induce, ideally toxic then volt switch out of there for a better pokemon to take down the target, the immunity to sandstorm is also more then helpful.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    Calm Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Shadow Ball/Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Scald/Surf

Jellicent serves a few important roles, firstly spinblocker, bulky water, status inducer, and lastly trick room setter. Alot of different roles which is why i chose leftovers and recover. The reasoning for actually having WoW is because spinners and all physcial attackers bar Claydol which is hardly seen in OU, lastly scald and surf is for STAB and if im using him against rain teams then the better.

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    - Trick Room
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Energy Ball/Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

very close to the standerd set for him however i have chosen energy ball over shadow ball the reason being the pokemon which shadow ball hits for super effective damage is already covered by scizors pursuit, also the extra coverage which it provides is always welcome for rain teams which is extremly common, the rest should be self explantory, however i tend to bring him in more often then i should , the reason being i tend to do a type of voltswitch stragey so i may need the trick room which he easily provides due to magic guard, magic guard also makes him immune to sandstorm which is also helpful.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite/Ariel Ace
    - Pursuit
    - U-turn
    Classic scizor set, he comes in half-way during the match , scouts, then leaves, he is also my late game sweeper with bullet punch. not much to say really, he is immune to sandstorm which can help finish of enemies, he also works well with reuniclues as he traps the pokemon which shadow ball lacks to do.
    Changes in Bold.

Anyone who uses hippodown instead of T-Tar is a good sir
    Pokemon Y
    ---------------------------------------------
    KB: Shinies: x2 ;702; ;691;

Proud owner of a UT/UC: 2003 - Repair Program Shiny Zigzagoon.

Flawless:
    Friend code Black 2 : 2151-6418-9614
    Friend code Y: 3239-2288-6738
    Time Zone - GMT+1

yes! hippodown is so much better, he can actually take a hit from a fighting and steel type move!
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Also looking for female dream world moxie heracross and a miltank message me I have many dream world pokemon

I'd recommend Ice Fang over Superpower on Hippowdon so you can actually scratch Landorus forms and Gliscor.

Next I'd recommend switching Breloom's moveset as I think SubPunch + SubSeed on the same set just won't work especially when you're trying to abuse Trick Room. Anyways, here's the set.

Breloom @ Life Orb / Fighting Gem
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, -SpA) / Brave (+Atk, -Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk, 4 Def
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Swords Dance / Spore
    - Spore / Low Sweep

I like the idea of ice fang. I really like it that would mean I can get rid of ice beam on jellicent and put on will o wisp to cripple physical attackers which are sometimes problems, mainly choice banders. And although I'm takin on board what your saying about breloom I really must have poison heal on it to heal of sandstorm damage otherwise I may aswell use conkolderr or whatever, I'm using breloom a niche as a subseeder, if you would care to make me an effective set with poison heal, Mach punch and spore please help me out.

You might as well use Conkeldurr then as you're using TR and the turns till take to SubSeed, TR will be up and Breloom doesn't have the bulk nor speed to utilize both a SubSeed set that effectively let alone SubSeed + SubPunch on the same set.

Well I will think about it I just dislike common trick room pokemon I like to be a bit more imaganitive which I why I chose TR in the first place. But how does the sound of Xatu instead of jirachi sound?