Thread: Rate My Team? Help?

Hybrid View

Default Rate My Team? Help?

I just figured out the EV Spreads.
    Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble online during Double Battles. Can you help me improve my team?

Haxorus (Adamant Nature, Ability Rivalry, Life Orb)
    EV: 252 ATK; 252 SPD; 4 HP
    - Outrage
    - Swords Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Brick Break

Physical Sweeper; Life Orb gives my moves a big boost and Adamant helps with that. Outrage is a random target move but I like it simply because of it's power. Swords Dance is self explanatory if you've used it before, Dragon Claw gets STAB and has a not to shabby Power. Brick Break helps break Light Screen and Reflect. Also, Fighting Moves cover a lot of weaknesses (Ice, Dark, Rock, Steel). It doesn't last long though as some Pokemon can easily OHKO and outrun my Pokemon.

Hydreigon (Mild Nature, Ability Levitate, Expert Belt)
    EV: 100 ATK; 152 SP ATK; 152 SPD; 100 HP
    - Fire Blast
    - Superpower
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor

Mixed Sweeper; this guy is useful in many situations. The Fire Blast, I got off of Smogon. Superpower is the lifesaver for me. I've had my *** saved countless times with this move. Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor have the STAB benefit. I spread the EV's on this guy to a wide variety. I was going to give him a Life Orb, but because of Online Restrictions, I had to choose another item. Help me reconsider this item and for every item on my Pokemon Team.

Heracross (Adamant Nature, Ability Guts, Choice Scarf)
    EV: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 DEF
    - Megahorn
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

Another (physical) Sweeper; Chose this mainly because of the Choice Scarf and STAB on Megahorn. Downside is I have to switch out when s--t hits the fan but otherwise, that is pretty much the only reason Heracross is on my team. Also, this has a pretty shoddy Defense stat.

Skarmory (Impish Nature, Ability Sturdy, Shed Shell)
    EV: 252 DEF, 100 HP, 152 SPED
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock (considering Spikes)
    - Whirlwind
    - Taunt

Setup; This was meant to be a setup Pokemon but I've had my arse whooped because it's not fast enough. I'd send out Stealth Rock and try the classic Whirlwind Strategy, but that has not gone well for me. Taunt should've helped me but moves like Thunderpunch have sent this Pokemon to the ground. Probably won't keep this. I want suggestions for a replacement.

Jellicent (Calm Nature, Ability Cursed Body, Focus Sash)
    EV: 252 SPDEF; 252 HP, 4 SPATK
    - Scald
    - Will O Wisp
    - Recover
    - Shadow Ball

SPDEF ANNOYER; Meant to stall and cause status conditions. If I do decide to keep it, I'm removing Scald and maybe switching for an Ice Beam. This has actually been a great asset for me in online battles. Recover has managed to piss people off. The Focus Sash was just a random item and has proved to be useless as no one online has ever OHKO'd this Pokemon. Also, I kinda wish that this Pokemon had a better Speed Stat.

Blissey (Calm Nature, Ability Natural Cure, Leftovers)
    EV: 252 HP; 252 SPDEF; 4 DEF
    - Toxic
    - Softboiled
    - Thunderbolt
    - Light Screen

PHYSICAL WALL: Blissey has been a MAJOR disappointment for my team. I've seen people take down my Blissey faster than my aforementioned Haxorus. Maybe it's just the Physical Moves. This Pokemon has marvelous HP Stats though. Toxic and Thunderbolt were meant for status conditions and Light Screen for some more Special Defense. Softboiled is also meant to be a healing move. The Leftovers was a good item choice for it though. I will change this so gimme recommendations =)

This is an estimated EV Spread. I made this like 8 months ago so the actual spreads are somewhere in my brain.

EDIT: I now have added descriptions.
    Last edited by kingoftheyellowpeople; 15th February 2013 at 3:30 AM.

You also need to add descriptions Explain what each Pokemon does for your team and what their movesets do. You have to add them soon or else I'll lock it!... again.

btw if this is for Doubles Skarmory and Blissey, are complete trash in those tiers. Try things like Garchomp, Rotom Wash, Abomasnow etc. Things with spread damage. IF this is a singles team, do not try and also use it in doubles. doubles and singles are completely different games and a team that does well in one usually won't do well in another.

done and done

So is this team supposed to be for single battle or doubles? We can help more if you focus on one battle type.

this team is meant for double battles

One quick nitpick: Blissey is a special wall, not physical. Maybe that's why it hasn't been working well, considering it's got base 10 defense. The OP says that it's a physical wall.
    Last edited by Superpower22; 15th February 2013 at 12:40 PM.

If this is for doubles, don't bother with hazards. Double battles are way too fast-paced for them to really do you a whole lot of good. You'll also likely never get a phaze off. Really, this team isn't that good for Doubles. For Singles I can see it doing fairly well, but Doubles... Not so much. I'll rate for Doubles though, and assume Item Clause.

A little overview of what the Doubles environment looks like:
    Hazards are a waste of time really. More often than not you lose your setter the turn you set them and phazing is extremely difficult in such a fast-paced metagame. Speed control is also pretty common, in the form of Trick Room or Tailwind. Many, many Doubles teams run one or the other. I recently got into Doubles myself and I see a fair amount of Tailwind Whimsicott (Prankster being the main reason for that, Priority Tailwind is pretty nice to almost guarantee getting it off, and 3 turns is a lot more in Doubles than in Singles). Stall is pretty much dead in any Gen 5 environment, but multi-Pokemon battles a lot more so. You see spread moves like Earthquake, Surf, Discharge, Heat Wave, etc. a LOT, and Priority moves are in pretty much the same boat. Items are also really different. Frailer Pokemon commonly carry Focus Sash to help them get at least one move off. Type resistance berries and Gems are a lot more common as well. Sometimes, the Berry leaves you with just enough HP to let your own attack rip before you get KOed, which can make a ton of difference. Rindo Berry Gastrodon is a great example of this. As for the Gems, Double Battles don't usually last very long. One boosted attack can make or break a match. Recovery-wise, you usually want a Sitrus Berry since the fights don't drag on long enough for Leftovers to do better. Oh, and Protect may well be the best move in Doubles. Just about everything non-Choiced benefits from it. Anyway, on to the rate...

Your Haxorus is a Singles set. You've got no EQ, no Rock Slide. I'd strongly recommend a set like:

Haxorus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Mold Breaker (Always better to break Levitaters and the like)
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect

Swords Dance is generally a waste of a turn for Haxorus in Doubles. It's got that odd Base 97 Spe stat and it's pretty frail, so it'll likely be KOed before it can attack. Dragon Claw lets you choose your target and doesn't have the Confusion problem. Earthquake is fantastic in Doubles, where it hammers both opponents for some nasty damage (75% of normal, but hitting both targets effectively means you're doing 1.5 times the damage) and rocks alongside a Flying-type or your own Levitater. Rock Slide is also really useful in Doubles since it too hits both targets, but for Rock Slide that also means it has twice the chance to Flinch something. I believe the odds are 51%, ignoring the 90% accuracy. Protect stalls out Tailwind, stalls out Trick Room, scouts for Priority, protects you from a spread move, protects you from your partner's spread move.... You get the point. It's useful. You can also run stuff like Yache or Lum berries, or a fourth attack over Protect (Usually X-Scissor or Brick Break), but I'd go with Protect.

Your Hydreigon's not that bad for Doubles. But it pretty much always wants a Life Orb and you're gonna need a different EV spread. No reason to go with anything besides the standard Special attacker 252/252/4 here. The set I'd recommend is as follows:

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Protect

Hydreigon hits pretty hard. Draco Meteor is used here for the stupid power, but Dark Pulse is going to be your main move. It hits both targets and has a Flinch chance, but be careful - it does hit your partner too. It's great for dealing with Cresselia, who's one of (if not) the most popular TR setters in Doubles. It also has an 85% chance to 2HKO Max-SpD Eviolite Dusclops, which is guaranteed if you run Modest. Fire Blast is your best coverage move, mainly for use in the sun. It does 87% minimum to Occa Berry Metagross under the sun and OHKOs all Bronzong. Flamethrower still 2HKOs OccaGross and Amoonguss though, so you can use that as well. Do note that these calcs assume Life Orb, so with an Expert Belt they're a bit weaker. If no Item Clause, Life Orb is the superior item here.

Well, you really want a Guts Heracross for Doubles, but I'd just like to say ScarfCross has pretty much no use for it and should be running Moxie. That said, try either Toxic Orb or Flame Orb (Flame Orb does less damage after 4 turns, the same at 3, while Toxic Orb is better for short runs. Either works fine here though).

Heracross @ Either Orb
    Trait: Guts
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Megahorn
    - Close Combat
    - Facade
    - Protect

Here, no spread move. Why? You've got both EQ and Rock Slide in Haxy, so you don't need their coverage and Facade hits tons of things neutrally and stupidly hard. Megahorn and Close Combat are your STABs and Protect helps you survive Priority, triggers your Orb and all that awesomeness.

The last 3, you're better off replacing entirely. The classic Whirlwind strategy can be alright in Singles (Priolu, I'm looking at you, although Priolu dies to any form of Priority), but in Doubles you'll get flattened.

For Skarmory, I'm going to suggest a Whimsicott. Your team would tremendously appreciate the supporter and it isn't slow enough as a whole to go for Trick Room, but Tailwind can do great things.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Prankster
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Tailwind
    - Encore
    - Helping Hand
    - Protect

Whimsicott is annoying. It's also a great supporter. Tailwind doubles your Spe for 3 turns, there's your team's Spe control. Encore can lock your opponent into something useless, with Protect and Trick Room being notable examples. Helping Hand can be Taunt or Giga Drain, but personally I prefer the power boost for your partner's spread attack. Protect is especially necessary on Whimsicott as it's pretty commonly double-targeted.

Next, Tailwind appreciates Fake Out support to help get it off. Infernape does that job well. It likes Focus Sash, but as Whimsicott carries that... Hm. Fire Gem seems like a decent fit for Heat Wave. I'll go with that.

Infernape @ Fire Gem
    Trait: Blaze
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
    EVs: 116 Atk / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - Close Combat
    - Heat Wave
    - Protect

Fake Out is your supporting move, a great one in Doubles where Focus Sashes are more common. It also helps Whimsicott set up Tailwind, always nice. Close Combat is STAB and really strong. Heat Wave does spread damage, hence the Gem to boost it (This is something I haven't actually tried, so I'm not entirely sure it works, but it was the best item I could think of for the set I haven't suggested for something else). Protect is... The same Protect it's been for the other 4 Pokemon so far.

Finally, the bane of Tailwind is Trick Room, meaning most Tailwind teams carry a TR user to cancel it out. But given that my experience with Doubles TR is limited nonexistent, I'm just going to recommend something I've actually used, Tornadus.

Tornadus @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Prankster
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Tailwind
    - Acrobatics
    - Taunt
    - Protect

AcroGem is something you'll see occasionally on Gliscor and Archeops, if you play OU and RU in Singles. Here, Tornadus uses it as its most reliable form of damage outside the rain. Tailwind is here for when you lose Whimsicott. Acrobatics is your main attack and it packs a punch. Taunt shuts down their supporter, which is nice. Protect, see the other 5 Pokemon.
    Last edited by loco1234; 16th February 2013 at 11:39 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

improvements for online battles
    - movesets?
    - ev spreads (forget the last 2 sentences in my original post)
    - Held Items?
    - Natures?
    - Strengths and Weaknesses (what I'm trying to get)

EDIT: Rate for double battles
    Last edited by kingoftheyellowpeople; 15th February 2013 at 3:53 AM. Reason: unclear