Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please rate my competitive team!!!

Default Please rate my competitive team!!!

Hi guys I am going to be competing in the VGC's for the first time and I was just wondering if someone could tell if this is a good team and any suggestions on things I need help with (items, EV spread etc.)

Cresselia @ sitrus berry
    Nature: calm
    Ability: levitate
    EVs: 252 Hp, 136 Defense, 120 special defense

- Icy Wind/trick room
    - Psychic
    - Helping Hand
    - Moonlight

Cresselia is one of my tanks/ stallers. She is great for support too with helping hand. I still do not know whether I should give her trick room and make this a trick room team or give her icy wind, though.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Defiant
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Hp, 4 Defense

- Brick Break
    - Night Slash/Protect
    - Sucker Punch
    - Swords Dance

Bisharp is one of my two main attackers. The life orb might seem a little risky, but my Bisharp has 31 Hp IVs and 252 Hp EVs, so he will be OK.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Hp, 4 Defense

- Facade
    - Crunch
    - Close Combat
    - Thunderpunch/Protect

Ursaring is the other one of my attackers other then Bisharp. He will probably be in battle for semi long periods of time, so i chose flame orb instead of toxic

Gliscor @ toxic orb
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: poison heal
    EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed?, 4 Hp

- Earthquake
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Rock Slide?

Gliscor is my second tank/staller. I do not know Whether or not I should give him speed EVs or not though because I do not know whether or not this will be a Trick Room team.

Dragonite @ Dragon gem?
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Attack 252 Hp?

- Fire Punch
    - Dragon Claw
    - Roost
    - Extremespeed

Dragonite is going to be one of my starters. I do not know whether or not to use Dragon Claw or Outrage though. I am almost definitely going to use Leftovers as to utilize Multiscale so i don't know whether to go for Dragon Claw or Outrage with the extra power.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash?
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed?, 4 Hp

- Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball
    - Heat Wave
    - Pain Split

Chandelure is my special sweeper. i gave him speed EVs just to make him that much better at sweeping. I'm not sure about the Focus Sash though.

That's the team. Please comment any suggestions, everything is welcome. Thank you for looking
    Last edited by poyplemcmuffins; 20th February 2013 at 12:58 AM.

First, if you're not sure about something put a filler there and somebody can recommend something better. Second, naive is horrible for blissey. Just breed for a new one, preferably with bold or calm natures. For blissey's moves, use either toxic or thunder wave, and two of the following: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower.
    Full rate when movesets and EV spreads are done.
    Last edited by Superpower22; 17th February 2013 at 1:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superpower22 View Post
    First, if you're not sure about something put a filler there and somebody can recommend something better. Second, naive is horrible for blissey. Just breed for a new one, preferably with bold or calm natures. For blissey's moves, use either toxic or thunder wave, and two of the following: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower.
    Full rate when movesets and EV spreads are done.
    Thank you for all of the advice. I put filler for the things that I did not know about. Now Blissey. She is probably not going to see much action. She is only going to be in if my opponent has a completely special attacking team. So it is not really worth it to breed a new one and also this one is at level 50. Now for the moveset. Toxic is something I will try, but I would rather have Softboiled for T Wave.

Quote Originally Posted by poyplemcmuffins View Post
    Thank you for all of the advice. I put filler for the things that I did not know about. Now Blissey. She is probably not going to see much action. She is only going to be in if my opponent has a completely special attacking team. So it is not really worth it to breed a new one and also this one is at level 50. Now for the moveset. Toxic is something I will try, but I would rather have Softboiled for T Wave.
    I suggest rebreeding Blissey anyway. If she isn't doing much, replace her. And yeah, sorry, I meant toxic OR Twave in one slot and then two of the other moves, and softboiled as the fourth move. Sorry for not being clear!
    Edit: I'll rate soon, I promise!

First, use Gliscor instead of Meta as a wall.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Impish
    Poison Heal
    252 atk and speed, 4 HP
    Earthquake
    Protect
    Substitute
    Roost/Ice Fang

Next, use leftovers on Blissey. And please, please, PLEASE rebreed Blissey. Naive is a horrible nature. Blissey fits well on this team though, so you should keep it. Just get a bold nature.

On Chandelure, use Fire Blast over Heat Wave. Use leftovers as the item. Psychic can go for energy ball.

For Dragonite, use one of the following: Outrage over Dragon Claw with Lum Berry, or Dragon Dance over Roost, and Dragon Claw over Outrage, with leftovers for the item.

Looks good with those changes!

Blissey isn't great in the VGC environment, just saying XD
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

First, use Gliscor instead of Meta as a wall.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Impish
    Poison Heal
    252 atk and speed, 4 HP
    Earthquake
    Protect
    Substitute
    Roost/Ice Fang

Next, use leftovers on Blissey. And please, please, PLEASE rebreed Blissey. Naive is a horrible nature. Blissey fits well on this team though, so you should keep it. Just get a bold nature.

On Chandelure, use Fire Blast over Heat Wave. Use leftovers as the item. Psychic can go for energy ball.

For Dragonite, use one of the following: Outrage over Dragon Claw with Lum Berry, or Dragon Dance over Roost, and Dragon Claw over Outrage, with leftovers for the item.

Looks good with those changes!
    I am definitely taking your advice about gliscor. I had never really thought of him like that! You have also persuaded me to rebreed Blissey, but let me ask, which ability should I give her? For Chandelure why should I use Fire Blast over Heat Wave? And Finally I can only use leftovers on one pokemon so which one should I give them to? Thank you for all the advice.

Heat Wave is the superior choice in VGC. Frankly this isn't that good of a VGC team as no Protect anywhere, no speed control, nothing. In a face paced metagame like VGC, you're gonna get mauled. Cresselia + Garchomp combo mauls this team to hell and back and Technitop gives the top half of the team a bunch of trouble. I hate swapping pokes from people's teams so what I suggest is making this a TR team. Chandelure can setup TR and probably well, yeah swap Blissey for another Tr setter.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Heat Wave is the superior choice in VGC. Frankly this isn't that good of a VGC team as no Protect anywhere, no speed control, nothing. In a face paced metagame like VGC, you're gonna get mauled. Cresselia + Garchomp combo mauls this team to hell and back and Technitop gives the top half of the team a bunch of trouble. I hate swapping pokes from people's teams so what I suggest is making this a TR team. Chandelure can setup TR and probably well, yeah swap Blissey for another Tr setter.
    I honestly don't understand what the big appeal of protect is. And also if I did turn this into a TR team what would I do with Gliscor, because I added him to my team.

Protect is the best move in the VGC tier xD It scouts, preserves Sash, stalls out Trick Room and Tailwind, escapes Fake Out and protects you from the spread moves of your partner, among several other useful things.

I don't see this team doing well in the VGC environment for pretty much the reasons Atrocious listed. He knows his stuff. You can trust him.
    Last edited by loco1234; 19th February 2013 at 12:31 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Wow, totally missed the whole VGC thing. In that case, ditch Blissey (and after persuading you. Fail on my part). I'm not sure what for though, so have someone else tell you. Also, use sitrus berry on Chandelure. Keep Heat Wave though. Stick to the Dragonite thing I gave you, unless someone objects. I'm sorry for failing so hard.

Wow, totally missed the whole VGC thing. In that case, ditch Blissey (and after persuading you. Fail on my part). I'm not sure what for though, so have someone else tell you. Also, use sitrus berry on Chandelure. Keep Heat Wave though. Stick to the Dragonite thing I gave you, unless someone objects. I'm sorry for failing so hard.
    Should I keep Metagross or should I still replace it with gliscor? Or should I change it to something else?

Still use Gliscor; The set I posted works pretty well in VGCs.

The Dragonite Set I recommend:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Jolly/Adamant Nature, Multiscale
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Roost
    ~ Fire Punch/ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Dragon Claw/Outrage/Extremespeed

Jolly if you want him to reach 284, and Adamant if you want him to reach 403. Pretty simple. Dragon Dance, take the hit, Roost, repeat until you just are setting up. Fire Punch will handle anything that resists it (FERROTHORN IM LOOKING AT YOU!) and ExtremeSpeed is PURELY for the nice +2 Priority. Dragon Claw and Outrage are great STAB's. I personally think that Smogon sets are pretty bad most of the time, Dragonite being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Latias~ View Post
    The Dragonite Set I recommend:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Jolly/Adamant Nature, Multiscale
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Roost
    ~ Fire Punch/ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Dragon Claw/Outrage/Extremespeed

Jolly if you want him to reach 284, and Adamant if you want him to reach 403. Pretty simple. Dragon Dance, take the hit, Roost, repeat until you just are setting up. Fire Punch will handle anything that resists it (FERROTHORN IM LOOKING AT YOU!) and ExtremeSpeed is PURELY for the nice +2 Priority. Dragon Claw and Outrage are great STAB's. I personally think that Smogon sets are pretty bad most of the time, Dragonite being the case.
    Wouldnt it be better to have outrage fire punch extreme speed roost and give him a lum berry?

Dragon Claw, not Outrage. And yeah, setting up doesn't work very well in VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Dragon Claw, not Outrage. And yeah, setting up doesn't work very well in VGC.
    I was thinking the same thing and give dragonite dragon claw and leftovers?

Yeah. Outrage is too unreliable for Doubles. Not Lefties though, Sitrus Berry is always better in VGC. Nothing will last the 5 turns needed for Lefties to recover more. You could definitely use a Yache or Lum berry too.

I was thinking though with the leftovers I could restore the damage that a fake out would do without wasting a turn with roost, so he could still have multiscale. I really worry about fake out because dragonite is gonna be one of my starters

That's why Protect is a staple in a VGC enviorment. Leftovers will pretty much never heal the dmg common Fake Out users deal except probably Sableye with Protect.

Okay so let me get all of the items straight:
    Dragonite: sitrus berry
    Bisharp: life orb
    Ursaring: flame orb
    Gliscor: toxic orb
    Chandelure: I still don't know
    And I don't know who I'm gonna replace blissey with
    Is all that right?

I don't know much about vgc meta, but I know that a decent fighting type will wreck both ursaring and bisharp easily and blissey with little side effects. Also if its a mienshao ( not sure if he's common in gvc) it will be able to take chandelure too, and dragonite minus multiscale. I suppose metagross can counter by tanking a few hits and KOing with Zen headbutt, but it might still be worth running gliscor instead, he's a solid wall against any fighting type (except the odd machamp with ice punch). Also throw a few more protects on your team, that move is essential in dubs
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Spoiler:- Seeking Vivilions::

I am aware that I have a weakness to fighting types and I figured chandelure would easily be able to take most of them out. Also I have added a few protects here and there and also changed metagross for gliscor. I will make changes when I get a suggestion for who should replace blissey because I have no idea, but I need another wall/staller type Pokemon.

Walls don't really work in VGC as it's so fast-paced. There's a difference from support like Cresselia and walls like Blissey. Fighting moves are some of the more common types and Chandelure isn't bulky enough to handle the load especially from EQ's and all. Infact, Cresselia could work well with this team providing the support it needs in the form of Icy Wind to break sashes along with lowering others speed or Trick Room while being a defensive mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Walls don't really work in VGC as it's so fast-paced. There's a difference from support like Cresselia and walls like Blissey. Fighting moves are some of the more common types and Chandelure isn't bulky enough to handle the load especially from EQ's and all. Infact, Cresselia could work well with this team providing the support it needs in the form of Icy Wind to break sashes along with lowering others speed or Trick Room while being a defensive mon.
    So replace blissey with cresselia. Got it. What would be a good moveset, item, nature etc. for her?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast