Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #112

Default Community POTW #112

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week. This time, we've been given the selection of an incredibly common Pokémon on VGC teams

Hitmontop is the more commonly seen of the Hitmon-family, and is capable of quite a lot. Even outside its usual Fake Out use, it can be a very formidable Pokémon.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/237.shtml

Go nuts

Ability: Technician
    Item: Focus Sash
    Moves: Fake Out, Rock Slide, Close Combat, Agility
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Def
    -Fake Out
    -Sucker Punch
    -Rapid Spin/Bullet Punch
    -Mach Punch

The most reliable revenge killer available IMO. Fake out takes about 33% from an average sweeper like starmie, latios, which it finishes of with Sucker Punch. Rapid Spin can support, while Bullet Punch gets Gengar weakened b4 the sub. Mach Punch is the STAB move of choice that KO's Terrakion after SR and a layer of Spikes.

Other options:
    Bulk Up
    Triple Kick
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store

Diancie:
    -Both stores out of codes. Way to go Nintendo ._.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Eh, I think I've used Hitmontop somewhere in my RMTs which I made *searches*

Oh, scratch that. I've used it on two teams before! *gets hyped up*

Right, hmm, Hitmontop has really good abilities, as a cool little opener. Intimidate and Technician are both godly good. Anyways, this gives Hitmontop a lot of options. I'm gonna go for the spinner first:

Rapid Spin Hitmontop (you don't say?)
    Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    - Rapid Spin
    - Foresight
    - Sucker Punch/Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

Ya-di-ya di. Spin + Foresight = yay. Sucker Punch deals with attacker ghost, while Stone Edge rips through Chandelure. Close Combat is stab. although 40 hp sucks, it has good def (with Intimidate) and sp.def to work with.

And, techni-top! Duh

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch/Bullet Punch/Pursuit
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge/Sucker Punch

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Eh, I think I've used Hitmontop somewhere in my RMTs which I made *searches*

Oh, scratch that. I've used it on two teams before! *gets hyped up*

Right, hmm, Hitmontop has really good abilities, as a cool little opener. Intimidate and Technician are both godly good. Anyways, this gives Hitmontop a lot of options. I'm gonna go for the spinner first:

Rapid Spin Hitmontop (you don't say?)
    Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
    - Rapid Spin
    - Foresight
    - Sucker Punch/Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

Ya-di-ya di. Spin + Foresight = yay. Sucker Punch deals with attacker ghost, while Stone Edge rips through Chandelure. Close Combat is stab. although 40 hp sucks, it has good def (with Intimidate) and sp.def to work with.

And, techni-top! Duh

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch/Bullet Punch/Pursuit
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge/Sucker Punch
    Foresight is such a waste of a moveslot.. Anticipate the switch to a ghost, and continue with Stone Edge, then clear the field..

Oh, and before anybody goes any further, we need a TopSpin reference here, or something like Prince of Tennis-like reference..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

VGC set:

Hitmontop@ Fighting Gem
    Intimidate
    Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 att/252 speed/4 HP
    Fake Out
    Close Combat
    Sucker Punch
    Detect

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Foresight is such a waste of a moveslot.. Anticipate the switch to a ghost, and continue with Stone Edge, then clear the field..

Oh, and before anybody goes any further, we need a TopSpin reference here, or something like Prince of Tennis-like reference..
    Yeah, but not every ghosts get 1HKO'd immediately by Stone Edge. And when you ahve like, 3 layers of spikes and stealth rock on your side, you want to clear them ASAP. (Don't ask me how they set up on you though :P)

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Ability Analysis
    Intimidate - A solid Ability, especially with the Tyrogue-tree's lower Defense compared to Sp.Def. Hitmontop can help his team tank-n-spank pretty well, but suffers from Base 50 HP. Even so, it's pretty good for Doubles & Triples.

Technician - Another solid Ability, especially with Hitmontop's multitude of Base 60-and-under Power Moves. Triple Kick can smash through Substitutes much faster thanks to that and the other STAB Moves boosted by Technician are also quite lovely - Rolling Kick, Low Sweep, Mach Punch, and Revenge. Bulldoze is also of notable use over Earthquake with this Ability due to Base 70 Speed being aided by Bulldoze's guaranteed Speed Debuffs.

Steadfast - Dream World Ability. Kinda noteworthy, but is paled in comparison by the other two Abilities and Hitmontop's Base 50 HP. Raising your Base 70 Speed is a good idea since you can't tank too many hits with Base 50 HP, but you do have to take a hit (usually from an opponent you either outspeed already or will never survive against long enough to outspeed) and Flinch from the hit to activate it.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Topper
    Intimidate w/ Life Orb/Muscle Band/Focus Band/Focus Sash
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 128 Defense, 130 Sp Defense
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge/Aerial Ace
    Drill Run
    Endeavor/Rapid Spin

Tech
    Technician w/ Life Orb/Muscle Band/Scope Lens/Focus Band/Focus Sash
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 128 Defense, 130 Sp Defense
    Rolling Kick/Triple Kick/Low Sweep
    Aerial Ace
    Bulldoze
    Rapid Spin/Endeavor

Partners:
    Tyranitar/Defiant Bisharp/Metagross
    Helping Hand-users

Countering:
    High Defense and Attack with physical Psychic/Flying-type moves like Metagross, Dragonite, Gliscor, Flame body Chandelure, Acrobatics & Flying Gem Scizor, Aerial Ace Armaldo/Crustle/Escavaleir/Durant, Dusknoir, or will-o-wisp Spiritomb.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Counters:

The Pokemon that counter Hitmontop are entirely dependent upon what set it's running. Ghost types get precedence, as not only are they immune to Hitmontop's STAB, but they block rapid spin as well, barring Foresight sets. Cofagrigus gets special mention, as it is bulky enough to eat a Stone Edge or two, and instantly cripple it with Will-o-Wisp. Once burned, all your team will really have to worry about from Hitmontop is Rapid Spin, as its crippled attack won't be bothering anyone. TechniTops also lose Technician when they try to fight back against Cofagrigus, which can be an annoyance (albeit icing on the cake). Dusclops is in the same boat, able to take a hit or two due to its defenses and Eviolite, and shut it down with Will-o-Wisp. Sableye's Prankster can practically guarantee a burn if Hitmontop stays in on it, but it must be wary as its relative frailty makes it unable to take repeated Stone Edges from an unburned Hitmontop, meaning it won't be able to switch into it reliably.

Without Stone Edge, bulky flying types such as Zapdos and Gligar will wall it all day long, and threaten to KO it with ease. However, Hitmontop can surprise many of its would-be counters by carrying Toxic, which things like Zapdos and Cofagrigus hate. Gligar, however, isn't bothered when carrying Immunity, and takes pittance from anything Hitmontop can throw at it due to Eviolite bulking it up.

Nidoking and Nidoqueen also make surprisingly good counters to offensive variants of Hitmontop; they resist both Stone Edge and Close Combat, are immune to Toxic, and with Sheer Force behind them, they can manage to punch holes in Hitmontop or force it out. They don't really fear anything Hitmontop carries except the rare Bulldoze. Obviously they're not going to be blocking Rapid Spin though, so don't rely on them to keep entry hazards on the field.

And of course, fast Psychic types such as Azelf and Mew can revenge kill Hitmontop without too much difficulty, though they have to watch for Sucker Punches, especially Azelf. Mew, however, can be a bit trickier for Hitmontop, as if it bluffs an attacking variant to draw out Sucker Punch, but Will-o-Wisps instead, then Hitmontop can consider itself royally screwed. Slowbro isn't exactly fast enough to revenge kill (far from it), but it is bulky enough to survive even a Sucker Punch, and then tear Hitmontop apart with Psyshock. It can also bluff to give itself time to set up Calm Mind as well.

Using it in OU opens up a whole new load of counters as well, which it has to deal with in the VGC. Metagross will make its life a nightmare, as it's immune to Intimidate, takes little damage from any of Hitmontop's attacks, and can easily pick it off with a Zen Headbutt. As very few VGC Hitmontops seem to carry Stone Edge, flying types such as Tornadus, Thundurus, and Gyarados can all tear it a new one without taking much damage themselves. Tornadus and Thundurus will blow it off the field in the blink of an eye, while Gyarados's intimidate can soften up Hitmontop's blows as well. Cresselia also has very little to worry about from Hitmontop, as its bulk allows it to endure Sucker Punch and bite back with Psychic.

tl;dr - Use Ghost Types first and foremost; they'll block the Rapid Spin and burn the usefulness right out of Hitmontop. Offensive variants lack the raw power of other physical attackers in the metagame, so it's not too difficult to wall, especially if it lacks coverage.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 17th February 2013 at 10:58 PM.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Default AgiliTop

I think I have a good suggestion for the movesets. I'd like called it "AgiliTop"

Hitmontop@Expert Belt/Life Orb
    Ability: Steadfast/Intimidate
    EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Speed or 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Agility
    -Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
    -Earthquake/Bulldoze
    -Stone Edge/Bullet Punch/Aerial Ace

I came up with this suggestion so that way hitmontop will have more speed with 3 agilities and every time hitmontop flinches it's speed increases.

Hitmontop is quite a good Pokemon. However, that's the inherent problem. It's good, but that's it. Today, "good" isn't good enough.
    The problem lies in two major places: the first is stats. Hitmontop's HP leaves much to be desired. The second is the other options. Hitmontop doesn't as hard as certain threats and doesn't take hits as well as certain threats. Because of this, Hitmontop gets benched often.
    Hitmontop does have some things going for it though. The first is access to Rapid Spin and Foresight. This makes Hitmontop able to Rapid Spin on Ghosts that try to block spinners. The second is Hitmontop's two excellent abilities. For defense, Intimidate will do wonders while Technician works with moves like Pursuit, Mach Punch, the aforementioned Rapid Spin, and Fake Out. All in all, Hitmontop has pinch value.
    Consider Hitmontop for your team, but ask yourself: Do you need Hitmontop's services? If not, look elsewhere. Otherwise, Hitmontop can make the difference between victory and defeat.

Dreidal, Dreidal, I made out of Clay!
    EVs: 252 HP and defense, 4 speed
    @: Leftovers

Rapid Spin
    Foresight/Toxic
    Sucker Punch/Stone Edge
    Triple Kick/Close Combat

The standard Rapid Spin set. I prefer Triple Kick over Close Combat because I don't want something defensive lowering its own defenses. It's counter-productive. But if you want the power, go ahead and use Close Combat.

Try Giving this set a Whirl
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack and HP, 4 defense
    @: Life Orb

Fake Out
    Mach Punch
    Pursuit
    Triple Kick/Close Combat

Pretty similar to Scizor in function, yet so different. Fake Out is free damage, Mach Punch deals heavy damage, Pursuit hits runners, and Triple Kick is a power source. Close Combat still out-powers Triple Kick, but I prefer Triple Kick's non-stat drops on a Pokemon like Hitmontop.
    I claim Buizel.

I'll go to the standard VGC sets

Topmohth
    @fighting gem
    intimidate
    Adamant
    252 att,252 hp, 4 spdef
    fake out
    wide guard/detect
    Stone edge/sucker punch
    Close combat

Good for a reason. this is half of the evil topmoth combo. fake out is nasty to TR users. detect gives durability, but wide guard prtects your moth from surf and rock slide. it helps against explosion users. Stone edge prevents enemy topmoths, but sucker punch can cause serious damage to latios. fighting gem close combat is destructive.

other options. helping hand ,feint,mach punch, Tchnitop
    HH lets allies score ohkos
    feint can be nasty when timed perfectly, and can finish of foes at the las minute.
    mach punch is weaker than cc, but no stat down, and has priority
    Technitop is a beast in VGC, cauing alot of pain. techni fake out hits hard

I have a feeling who the moth is in the "Top-moth" combo. Does that name start with a V?

The only moves Top can use are those in the Tyro-tree's pool. Do note that egg moves are incompatible with Steadfast Ability, as they're male only. Not that you want a Steadfast set anyways. Speaking of which, how did Endeavor make it into those sets?
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

In double battles, the easiest way to handle Hitmontop itself is to have a psychic or flying type with good STAB and high special attack, such as Latios, who can handle it with Psystrike. Inner Focus Dragonite is notable on rain teams, as it won't be forced to flinch and can hurt it with STAB Hurricane.

But, generally, the pokemon you'll have to worry about on the first round is the one that Hitmontop is supporting. This makes Infernape and Mienshao options, as they can pull off a fake out before Hitmontop can, and allow a teammate to handle the pokemon you don't make flinch. However, neither of these enjoy the effects of Intimidate much, Infernape can just shrug it off and heatwave, the top has high special defense.

You could also have both teammates use protect on the first round, but if Hitmontop is supporting something like a trick room or tailwind user, you won't want to do that as much. Likewise, if at all possible, you could have both pokemon use a move that'd OHKO or cripple Hitmontop's teammate, so that no matter which one it uses Fake Out on, it's teammate can't preform it's job, though I don't feel this'll happen as much.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 17th February 2013 at 9:48 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

Aw yiss, Hitmontop.
    Favorite Pokemon besides Pansage, time for a serious writeup

Overview

Spoiler:- Overview:

Abilities

Spoiler:- Abilities:

Movesets

Spoiler:- Movesets:

Other Options:

Spoiler:- Other:
    3DS: 5284-2188-5676

Party for everyone

Hitmontop has a lot of options on his side and can get quite a few advantages coming from his abilities and priority and status moves. He is a viable rapid spinner and a decent attacker because of technician and intimidate, so he can pull off some good sets. I'm going to list his other options before the sets: fake out, earthquake, bullet/mach punch, stone edge, quick attack, rock slide, gyro ball, rock slide, bulldoze, endeavor, close combat, counter, and revenge to name a few. And now for the sets of this eternal hand stander(or head stander):

How have I not lost my balance yet?
    Ability:technician/intimidate
    Item:any that suit your needs
    Nature:any
    Moves:
    Pursuit
    Triple kick
    Rapid spin
    Drill run

This set mainly benefits from technician, but intimidate works as well. Pursuit is for your fast psychic trying to take you out fast, and gets tech boost, as does rapid spin and triple kick. Rapid spin is for annoying entry hazards that tick you off. Triple kick is Hitmontop's signature move and, while seems weak with 10 base power, it gets tech and stab boost, and on top of that, the base 10 doubles on its own after each consecutive kick(10 on first, 20 on second, 40 on third). Drill run is good for the high critical hit rate, and gets decent coverage.

That bull just keeps on kicking
    Ability:technician
    Item:kings rock
    Nature:any
    Moves:
    Blaze kick
    Triple kick
    Rolling kick
    Low sweep

Low sweep and rolling kick, because of technician and stab, end up with 180 base power and an added effect. Rolling kick has a 30% chance of flinch, and with kings rock, adding 20%, is a massive 50% flinch chance. Low sweep has a 100% speed lowering chance, and helps bring that flinch chance into play. Triple kick does the same thing as before. Blaze kick has a high crit rate, and is more powerful than drill run.

Some of these moves are egg moves. To get them, breed say, a Hitmonlee with blaze kick with a Ditto, and you will get a Tyrogue with blaze kick. The same thing applies with Hitmonchan and Hitmontop. This is the only way to get these moves.
    I claim Salamence and Castform(Rain)!!!;

Fear their power!!!

Hitmontop is irritating, if you are not prepared for it... I've never actually made a set for one because it has never fit in my teams. However when I've faced it, it was quite annoying. Too bad for Hitmontop that I have an extremely bulky Whiscash.

Counters
    The easiest way to deal with Hitmontop is to send in a ghost type when it tries to Fake Out on the first turn (everyone always does). However, you do have to be careful, you may get Sucker Punched to death afterwards. Also, your opponent might forsee your switch and use stone edge. You could switch to a rock or steel type to take the hit, but you would probably get smashed by Close Combat later, as most of the sets do have.

Most, if not all, of the Hitmontop that I've faced have had the following set:
    Fake Out
    Close Combat
    Rapid Spin
    Sucker Punch

Usually, I send in a Gengar or Whiscash against this thing on the first turn so Fake Out doesn't hurt a potential sweeper. Gengar, and other ghosts can kill Hitmontop easily as long as they doesn't use any direct attacks. Will-o-Whisp is a good example (No Guts ability to worry about.) You can also just attack directly, get thwomped by Sucker Punch, survive by that secret Focus Sash you are holding, then kill it.

Basically, anything bulky and wall-like will do the trick. Hitmontop's Attack stat is decent, and it has some pretty good moves, but it's not all that scary. It's just very annoying when you've set up your Stealth Rocks and this thing wipes them out. You just need to plan your moves out, and Hitmontop won't be that much of a pain to deal with.
    Last edited by jon199; 18th February 2013 at 11:02 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley

Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post

It is actually viable you can garntee a spin or hit a ghost with you STAB (you know.. gengar isn't the only ghost out there and if you know there's a gengar then yes use stone edge.

I didn't like him in OU he was too easy to kill and barely spinned something in UU he is better though..
    intimidate and technican are both viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    In double battles, the easiest way to handle Hitmontop itself is to have a psychic or flying type with good STAB and high special attack, such as Latios, who can handle it with Psystrike. Inner Focus Dragonite is notable on rain teams, as it won't be forced to flinch and can hurt it with STAB Hurricane.

But, generally, the pokemon you'll have to worry about on the first round is the one that Hitmontop is supporting. This makes Infernape and Mienshao options, as they can pull off a fake out before Hitmontop can, and allow a teammate to handle the pokemon you don't make flinch. However, neither of these enjoy the effects of Intimidate much, Infernape can just shrug it off and heatwave, the top has high special defense.

You could also have both teammates use protect on the first round, but if Hitmontop is supporting something like a trick room or tailwind user, you won't want to do that as much. Likewise, if at all possible, you could have both pokemon use a move that'd OHKO or cripple Hitmontop's teammate, so that no matter which one it uses Fake Out on, it's teammate can't preform it's job, though I don't feel this'll happen as much.
    Metagross and Defiant... really anything with Defiant, can also counter Hitmontop pretty hard in doubles.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
    Intimidate, Jolly Nature
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Fake Out
    ~ Sucker Punch
    ~ Agility

Ryan's PokAnalysis
    Hitmontop is one cool Pokemon. One of the few bulky Fighters that is worth using in standard, it's got a bunch of things that it can do. Also making it that much more important in this meta compared to 4th gen, mainly because of Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Having two kickass Abilities in Technician and Intimidate also goes a long way for it. Its defenses are nice, especially its Special Defense, but it's a shame that it's counteracted by its bad HP. Oh well, if you need an example of how to work with 50 base HP, just look to Rotom-A, so I guess it could be worse. Its Attack stat is also a doozy for a Pokemon this bulky, at base 95. It's one Pokemon that screams support, but it can also go on the offensive, or stall, or...well just give it a shot and try out all of the things it can do.

Abilities
    Technician: An amazing Ability. Hitmontop has a move pool tailored to abusing this and its other commonly used Ability, although with Technician you get far more powerful Fake Outs, Mach Punches, Bulldozes, stuff like that. It's awesome.
    Intimidate: Another great one. It allows it to sponge some physical hits in conjunction with that good Defense and resistances to Bug, Dark and all that. In other words, shutting down many physical attackers simply by switching in on them. I like it a lot for bulky support sets.
    Steadfast: A good Ability that is wasted on Hitmontop. Its Speed sucks, so even at +1 it wouldn't go very fast, especially since most of the flinching attacks thrown at Hitmontop are Air Slash. If you're considering this, it's probably for an offensive set so just go with Technician.

Basic Technician set that I figured I'd post because no one did it the way I had it
    Hitmontop, Down Low Is Not Cool
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick / Low Sweep
    - Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
    - Mach Punch
    Item Attached: Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, SAtk)

Standard Technitop, standard terrible attempt at a PokePun. Technician Fake Out always gives you a nice leg up on the competition, perhaps allowing for a KO the next turn. Hi Jump Kick puts a dent in the opponent, but it does have the chance to sacrifice some of Hitmontop's bulk, which it really could use; if you don't want to lose the bulk, there's also Low Sweep, which gets a Technician boost and can bring down the Speed to levels that even let Hitmontop beat certain Pokemon on the ensuing turn. Sucker Punch catches Psychics and Ghosts before they attack, but for the "sure thing" you can instead use Stone Edge. Finally, Hitmontop's Mach Punch boosted by Technician is so powerful that it beats Conkeldurr in power. Instant power like that is very much appreciated.

And here's my typical "no one else has posted this yet so here" set
    New Endeavors
    - Endeavor
    - Mach Punch
    - Sucker Punch
    - Close Combat / Rapid Spin
    Item Attached: Focus Sash
    EVs and Nature:
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Hitmontop gets the Endeavor-priority combo, so it might as well use it, as if you don't invest in its defenses or HP then Hitmontop actually takes a lot of damage. Enter Hitmon-sash. Assuming the Sash kicks in, Endeavor brings the opponent down to 1 HP, where you can then pick them off the next turn with either Sucker Punch or Mach Punch. Speaking of Sucker Punch, there's your lone Defense against Ghosts, albeit an effective one. Close Combat to further lower Hitmontop's defenses, bringing it closer to 1 HP, and Rapid Spin gives it utility when
    its Focus Sash becomes useless.

Other Options
    Bulk Up, Revenge, Triple Kick, Gyro Ball, Aerial Ace, ResTalk, Covet, Agility, Counter, Rock Slide, Bulldoze, Choice Band.
    Bulk Up can pay some serious dividends if you can pull off the boosts.
    Revenge has the potential to be Hitmontop's most powerful attack, but that requires Hitmontop to take a hit, which makes it less appealing.
    Triple Kick gets a mention to say you shouldn't use it. You're sacrificing 10 accuracy and a secondary effect for a multi-hit attack to hit Substitutes - too much to lose.
    Gyro Ball is cool because you can cut back Hitmontop's Speed through IVs and Nature for a nicely reliable attack that gets surprisingly good neutral coverage with Hitmontop's STAB.
    Aerial Ace is a dark horse option for Technician Hitmontop for Pokemon like Heracross who would otherwise give offensive Hitmontop serious issues. It gets the Technician boost as well, making it very usable.
    Hitmontop isn't the best Pokemon for Rest / Sleep Talk, as it's a Fighting-type, but it's far from the worst.
    Covet is gimmicky, but usable as it has 90 power (including the Technician boost) and swipes the foe's item - a nice surprise tactic.
    Wanna try a sweep? Agility is there for Hitmontop to use. It's got some powerful Fighting moves like Hi Jump Kick, but its bro Hitmonlee sweeps better thanks to higher Attack + Unburden.
    Counter is another surprise tactic that could work with the Sash set to outright KO a physical threat instead, but Hitmontop needs all the moveslots it can get.
    Rock Slide is a weaker but more reliable Stone Edge.
    Bulldoze gets a Technician boost and is a nice Alternative to Earthquake as for 10 base power you're gaining the ability to lower your opponent's sweep.
    Choice Band gets a mention as a capable replacement for a Life Orb.

Partners
    Bisharp is a good one. It's immune to Psychic attacks, resists Flying, and can set up Stealth Rock to deter Flying-types. Another is Sigilyph, who can take status for Hitmontop, has Magic Guard to buy you time to prepare to spin away the hazards, and Hitmontop can take Rock-type and Dark-type attacks almost effortlessly. Fliers like Yanmega and Zapdos always appreciate not having Stealth Rock on the field. I'm sure there are a bunch of others, but they're not coming to me right now.

Countering Hitmontop
    Hitmontop is by no means a wall unless it gets a couple of Bulk Up boosts, so enough repeated attacks will eventually bring Hitmontop down. Ghosts like Cofagrigus are a good starting point, blocking Rapid Spin as well as Endeavor and surviving a Sucker Punch to burn Hitmontop and laugh as it dies a painful death; however, they have to watch out for Toxic. Mew also effortlessly counters Hitmontop aside from the dastardly Toxic and Sucker Punch. If it resists Fighting, it can use Hitmontop as set-up fodder. Gallade, Slowbro, Nidoqueen, Toxicroak, Volcarona, you name it. Alternatively, any Pokemon capable of burning Hitmontop with Will-O-Wisp, even Heatran, can successfully shut it down, and even throw Stealth Rocks in its face. Hitmontop is an offensive supporter and nothing more. If you're thinking it's a good wall or staller, expect to be disappointed greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDriver View Post
    Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Def
    -Fake Out
    -Sucker Punch
    -Rapid Spin/Bullet Punch
    -Mach Punch

The most reliable revenge killer available IMO. Fake out takes about 33% from an average sweeper like starmie, latios, which it finishes of with Sucker Punch. Rapid Spin can support, while Bullet Punch gets Gengar weakened b4 the sub. Mach Punch is the STAB move of choice that KO's Terrakion after SR and a layer of Spikes.

Other options:
    Bulk Up
    Triple Kick
    This is the one I use, well the best one actually imo.

I've used this set before, and it is actually quite usable-

Hitmontop @ Wide lens
    Ability- Intimidate
    Nature- adamant

252 Hp/252 atk/ 4 spD
    -High Jump Kick
    -Stone edge
    -Rapid spin
    -Bulk up/ foresight

Wide lens increases the accuracy of stone edge and high jump kick, ensuring that the chances of it missing are minimal, High jump kick is also more damaging than close combat, and does not reduce your bulk

I'm just being creative here-
    Hitmontop @ life orb
    Ability- intimidate
    Nature- jolly

252 hp/128 atk/128 speed
    -substitute
    -agility
    -close combat
    -stone edge/ sucker punch

252 hp and intimidate give Hitmontop some bulk to switch in without too much damage, 70 speed isn't too low and, by using agility, it can outspeed quite a few pokemon.
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 19th February 2013 at 8:43 AM.

Hitmontop confuses me.... it always battle stanting on it's head.... Just like how mawile's back sprite is actually it's front!

That aside, Hitmontop is an excellent pokemon, While it doesn't have the strengh of hitmonlee's Hi-jump kick, nor the skirt of hitmonchan, it finds itself battling in the higher tiers unlike it's brothers. It has the lowest attack of it's trio but somehow, it is better than both of them! Hitmontop's main selling points are a very good bulk compared to the other two, good movepool tailored perfectly to fit both it's super amazing abilities.

Intimidate, lowers a pokemon's attack by one stage on the switch in... This is a great ability on defensive sets even offesive bulk up set cz it forces switches giving you to set up freely and safely.
    Technician raises the power of moves that have 60 or lower base power... Hitmontop is one of the best user of this ability seeing the multitude of moves available in it's movepool including but not limited to: Mach punch, fake out, triple kick, rolling kick...

In addition to it's great offensive abilities, hitmontop, like it's brothers have access to a rare support move in rapid spin. From it's trio, it is easily the best user of the move as it's the bulkiest.

All in all, hitmontop is a solid choice to every team, though it has small HP it's defences are good enough to allow it take hits, it's speed is low, it has access to priority moves bypassing this small problem. It's special attack is non existant but i guess that means that it cannot use round or vacuum wave or mud slap... Use hitmontop, you won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast