Thread: The Unofficial Pokemon Etymology Discussion Thread

Default The Unofficial Pokemon Etymology Discussion Thread

The Unofficial Pokemon Etymology Discussion Thread

Version 2.0

Remade in time for Gen VI

What is etymology?

Etymology is the study of the origin of names and words. For instance, upon examining the word "Pokemon", you may notice that parts of the words "Pocket" and "Monster" appear in the word "Pokemon". So it is a possibility that "Pokemon" could have been derivied from "Pocket" and "Monster", and abrevited into a shorter, smoother word.

This thread will include a list of the most common and accurate interpretations of English Pokemon names. What is posted on the thread will reflect the general opinion of the fanbase, and in some cases, we may even have a little poll. All interpretations are up for discussion until the most agreeable suggestion is found.

Some names reference other languages, including Japanese (Jp), Latin (Ln), Spanish (Sp), Italian (It), French (Fr), German (Gr), Irish (Ir), and Portuguese (Pt).
    Some names use corrupted spellings/pronunciations which are easy to pick-up on. If they are not obvious, they will be noted with (COR).
    Some names use a suffix/prefix, which may be just filler. This will be marked with "[-]".

Spoiler:- Generation I:

Spoiler:- Generation II:

Spoiler:- Generation III:

Spoiler:- Generation IV:

Spoiler:- Generation V:

Spoiler:- Generation VI:
    Last edited by Monochromatic; 19th February 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Sylveon almost certainly comes from the Latin silvanae, which refers to forest and nature spirits. Looks way more fairy/spirit-like than birdlike to me.

That's a possibility, but we don't know for certain until more information, especially about typing, comes out. A popular opinion is that it's a new Flying-type, so that's what I based 'Sylv-' off. But I've been hearing your side of the argument too, so I'll put it up for discussion.

This is probably unnecessary, but it may be worth noting under Zorua that rua is almost only used to refer to red hair; the actual colour red is dearg. Also, madra rua is fox in Irish.

Does Chespin definitely come from Chesnut + Porcupine, I thought that it was 'spin' instead of porcupine to imply it was to spin on his hat thing in a similar way to Hitmontop.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Just wanna say, Weedle, at least, I believe, is a combination of Worm and Needle.

Saaatoshi!

That's an improvement, I've added it to the list.

Audino comes from audio as in it's usage of its ears while a play on "I dun know".

For Yveltal, Yve could mean Wyvern, , and Yvel could mean "evil", as in Dark Type.

Again, this isn't certain, but these are possibilities.

Cinccino's name probably comes from chinchilla. Just remove the h.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Keldeo is actually kelpie + rodeo

Actually, Squirtle has two possibilities. The first is the one you listed which is squirt+turtle. The second is based off of Squirtle's tail which looks very similar to a squirrel's tail, or squirrel+turtle.

Help these dragons live, click on them.

Quote Originally Posted by remybutton View Post
    Actually, Squirtle has two possibilities. The first is the one you listed which is squirt+turtle. The second is based off of Squirtle's tail which looks very similar to a squirrel's tail, or squirrel+turtle.
    That's highly unlikely, since Squirtle really has no other connection to squirrels, and the other starters have references to their types in their names(char, bulb).

Actually, their names are just their types+what animal they are.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Xerneas may be derived from X, cervus (Latin for deer), Cernunnos (horned Celtic god), and Ceryneian Hind.

Saaatoshi!

Also, with Zoroark, I think it may be Dark and not Bark.

Saaatoshi!

It might be worth mentioning that Exeggcute and Exeggutor are puns on the words "execute" and "executor."

Other than that, I think this thread is a good idea and the first post is great; very informative. It listed things that even I wasn't aware of.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    For Yveltal, Yve could mean Wyvern, , and Yvel could mean "evil", as in Dark Type.
    Use of the letter "Y" while incorporating the Middle English version of evil (Yvel [thanks Bulbapedia]). Definitely an aspect of its name.

Has anyone noted Lapras as "Laplace" (The tide-focused mathematician) or "la place" (French for "seat")?

To Terrakion, Cobalion and Virizion - the suffix "ion" is not likely "lion" as it is "Champion" as these Pokemon do not express inherent traits of lions, or big cats in general (they are ungulates).

I'm quite sure per Raikou - "raikou" in Japanese literally means "lightning".

"Zubat" = zubatto (The onomatopoeic representation of a sharp tool piercing something in Japanese).

I'll probably find some more.

A
    H
    H
    H...

Sylveon, since it looks a bit like a Flying-type, might get its name from sylph, which is defined as an imaginary spirit of the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Probably. Also, the 'yv' combination is common in French names, and the region seems based off of France.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Shinx could be based off of the Sphinx in Egypt, which also has the Ancient Egyptian city of Luxor, which is where the "Lux" in Luxeo and Luxray could come from.
    3DS FC: 4597 - 0384 - 5442

If you add me, PM me with your friend code and I'll add you.
    Friend Safari: Grass; has Oddish, Ivysaur and Quilladin