Thread: Is Surfing Speed in D/P/Pt Really Slow?

Default Is Surfing Speed in D/P/Pt Really Slow?

Well I've been playing some fourth gen games. First Soulsilver and now I decided to go back and finish my Pearl game that I left off on after beating the eighth gym. From going from Soulsilver to Pearl I feel like the surfing speed is ridiculously slow in Pearl. It is like unbelievably bothersome to me and I am so happy there isn't much surfing to do in Sinnoh.

Does anyone else notice this?

The surf speed was incredibly slow in Diamond and Pearl, but I believe they fixed it in Platinum and kept it at that speed for Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

At least you get to hear the cool surf music! (and there aren't that many places that require surfing)

Diamond was my first pokemon game, so I took that to be the normal speed. Then I played SS and suddenly... OMG THIS IS SO FAST

White 1335 5361 5411
    White 2 3740 7568 0796

Yeah, surfing in D/P was stupidly slow. Like Absoltastic said, it got fixed in Platinum and there aren't too many Water routes in Sinnoh, so it wasn't that bigger deal, although still annoying. Not as much as being chucked off your bike every time you went through a gate...
    SOUL SILVER

Quote Originally Posted by RondezView View Post
    Diamond was my first pokemon game, so I took that to be the normal speed. Then I played SS and suddenly... OMG THIS IS SO FAST
    kinnda this.
    I had played other gaames, but i got used to the stupid slowness in DP then when HGSS came out i was like "slow down" XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamer View Post
    Not as much as being chucked off your bike every time you went through a gate...
    This is quite an off-topic response but, I always dislike the bikes which go super fast and don't mind walking a fair bit instead of bumping in every wall because the bike speed is too fast, it's true that you can adjust the speed of your bike but I still find it quite annoying and personally don't mind the dismounting of the bike :P

For surfing, I do think that since there is in comparison to hoenn for example almost no surfing to do and as such it isn't that big of a deal in my opinion.

I didn't realise that it was slow, nop.
    Actually, I encounter too much water pokemon while I'm surfing, so I couldn't see that it was that slow.
    Oh my Feebas !
    Newest Shiny !

Spoiler:- My Hunts and Shinies:

Yes, it was! This and the slow battle scenes really aggravated me.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

It does seem slow compared to HG/SS.. the surf music kind of expresses how "slow" it is. Soft and laid back.

I have Pearl, and you're right. Like every time I see me surfing, it's very slow. But on Black it is faster.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Yes! I hate surfing in Pearl/Platinum...you go at a snail's pace. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

“Nameless... Like me...” - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

It was quite slow, but it never bothered me since there wasn't much water in the games which means you never had to surf that much. And they made it faster in Platinum, so it wasn't really a big deal.
    Δ

Forget about the words I said
    They were just the voices in my head
    I don't have to listen to them anymore

When you play the latter games/gens and get back to surf in D/P, it will feel really slow.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Yeah, it was slow. My guess is the frame-rates got messed up for the Surfing mechanic due to the new graphics of the time. So though it was very irritating, I let it pass because of that reason, though I don't know how true that is. That, and also because you hardly Surfed anywhere.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Yeah, it was slow. My guess is the frame-rates got messed up for the Surfing mechanic due to the new graphics of the time. So though it was very irritating, I let it pass because of that reason, though I don't know how true that is. That, and also because you hardly Surfed anywhere.
    True.. I think you only need surf for three sections of the story. Inside the mountain to get to Spear Pillar, From Jasmine to Victory Road, and the end of Victory Road itself. After that you needed it to travel to the Resort Area, and to the Pal Park.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

I never really found it to go slow. It felt ok to me.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

It may have been slow, but at the very least, there wasn't too much surfing in the game. Imagine having to cross Hoenn's seas with that surfing speed... that would be maddening.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.