Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I've been thinking about....

Question Something I've been thinking about....

When you hear a Pokemon's battle cry in games, Doesn't it sound like the syllables of their name?

EX: *Pikachu's battle cry*
    Piiii-ka-chu!

You see where I'm getting at?
    SonicLife is my name, And Burning way past cool is my game!

Sometimes, but not usually. Off the top of my head, Abra's cry almost sounds like it's saying its own name.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Actually I once read the try to do that some many Pokémon. However Some Pokémon names are changed when Translated to English. Clefairy actually cries"Pipii" which is how it sound in Japanese. This Pokédex has the sound effect on it: http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/clefairy (Serebii.net does not have sounds)
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Perhaps.

On the other hand, Jynx.

No it doesn't sound. In rare cases, maybe. But not in 99% of them.

I noticed it with Magikarp, Flareon, Clamperl and Skamory.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno.Fan View Post
    I noticed it with Magikarp, Flareon, Clamperl and Skamory.
    Clamperl is another one, but I don't think the others really sound that way.

Looking at your sig reminded me that Togepi is another one, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Yeah, Clamperl is the only one that comes to mind.
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Shinx is the most prominent one to me. It sounds like its saying Shinx, and it's pretty cute to me.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

To me it's probably just a coincidence that many pokemon have a cry that has the same syllables as it's name, like with some of the examples so far. But again, we get things like Jynx or Dialga or Gigalith that don't really sound like anything significant.

Our brains don't like random stuff ( like sounds ). It always wants to put meaning in these seemingly random things even if its not present. That is why when we hear a pokemon cry, our brains tend to 'hear' the pokemon say their name in the cry, in a way of making the cry seem less random. But, most of the time it is not there.
    I sometimes hear actual words when I hear the fan rotate, but, of course those sounds are not there. Its the same thing.
    Also, note that the people who make these cries would know only the Japanese names of the pokemon, so there is no way that they could but the English names in the cry.

Though there are rare instances of a pokemon actually saying its ( Japanese ) name. Like Wooper's cry sounds quite similar to 'Oopah' which is its Japanese name. But, then again there are stuff like Kriketune's cry, which sound like crap o_O.

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Our brains don't like random stuff ( like sounds ). It always wants to put meaning in these seemingly random things even if its not present. That is why when we hear a pokemon cry, our brains tend to 'hear' the pokemon say their name in the cry, in a way of making the cry seem less random. But, most of the time it is not there.
    I sometimes hear actual words when I hear the fan rotate, but, of course those sounds are not there. Its the same thing.
    Also, note that the people who make these cries would know only the Japanese names of the pokemon, so there is no way that they could but the English names in the cry.

Though there are rare instances of a pokemon actually saying its ( Japanese ) name. Like Wooper's cry sounds quite similar to 'Oopah' which is its Japanese name. But, then again there are stuff like Kriketune's cry, which sound like crap o_O.
    This. Our brain forces to hear the name of the Pokemon on its cry as it naturally doesn't accept random things.

Yeah, it's probably just that we think we hear it like the name, as said before. Even so, not all Pokemon's cries are heard this way, so we can still sort of talk about it.

A couple more I've found. Pachirisu sounds like it's saying its name, and Hariyama in particular sounds like its cry is 'Hariya'! The latter is clearest to me when it's sent out.

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

It would be nice IMO if they did make the sounds like in the anime that they say their names.
    Of course that would mean recording the sounds new for every localization of the games, which takes time and costs money, so it likely won't ever happen.

Bolt brought up Togepi, which sounds like "pi-oh-pi" to me. *shrugs*

I agree with carboncopy (though I like Kricketune's cry), but either way, what if the anime took cues from the game when it came to the Pokémon speaking? After all, many of the Pokémon have their own unique cries in the game (I say "many" because some of them sound alike, like Parasect and Mewtwo's cries), so it wouldn't have hurt to take cues from the game to put into the voices in the anime. This would probably also justify a little why we hear what we hear in the games. You know? Yeah, the English dub may not fit with the games, but the original Japanese would make sense.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Bolt brought up Togepi, which sounds like "pi-oh-pi" to me. *shrugs*

I agree with carboncopy (though I like Kricketune's cry), but either way, what if the anime took cues from the game when it came to the Pokémon speaking? After all, many of the Pokémon have their own unique cries in the game (I say "many" because some of them sound alike, like Parasect and Mewtwo's cries), so it wouldn't have hurt to take cues from the game to put into the voices in the anime. This would probably also justify a little why we hear what we hear in the games. You know? Yeah, the English dub may not fit with the games, but the original Japanese would make sense.
    So you are saying that the anime should use pokemon cries like in the games ? I completely agree with you. As a child, I always thought Pikachu saying its name only was kinda weird. The game cries make the pokemon sound more like the wild animals that they really are, and not just cute wind up toys which just keep saying their name.
    Actually, I found this interview where Masuda states that the game cries always have been and always will be different from the anime.
    Last edited by carboncopy; 20th February 2013 at 3:26 PM.

So you are saying that the anime should use pokemon cries like in the games ? I completely agree with you. As a child, I always thought Pikachu saying its name only was kinda weird. The game cries make the pokemon sound more like the wild animals that they really are, and not just cute wind up toys which just keep saying their name.
    Actually, I found this interview where Masuda states that the game cries always have been and always will be different from the anime.
    xD I kinda worded it wrong, I meant that it's possible the anime took cues from the games when voicing the Pokémon, at least the original Japanese did. A lot of the bigger Pokémon use roars in the anime, which sound alike in the games. (Heck, Meowth's cry in the game does sound like a meow, and since "nya" is Japanese onomonopia for a cat's meow, you can say other Meowth in the anime imitate the game's cry a little.)

But I do remember something about the game cries and the anime cries being different, which makes sense, though I swear the roars are similar. Maybe not the exact notes/tone as the roars in the game, but it's otherwise rather universal.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I've seen that with some Pokemon.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

@ The random noise thing, when I play SSBB, Meta Knight's "Fight me!" Sounds like "Oink me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maya The Awesome View Post
    @ The random noise thing, when I play SSBB, Meta Knight's "Fight me!" Sounds like "Oink me!"
    lol, that is funny, also on that note...have you heard thrash on B/W2? it sounds like the mario theme...seriously
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    lol, that is funny, also on that note...have you heard thrash on B/W2? it sounds like the mario theme...seriously
    I haven't noticed :/

Pikachu sounds like it's saying it's name in yellow version

Okay, seriously now. I just went through the Pokedex on my copy of Blue version, listening to Pokemon cries. A few cries sound similar to the Pokemon's name, but most sound like standard 8-bit sound FX. I think the sounds may be related to the Pokemon's type/physical appearance. For example, Pikachu's cry sounds like an electrical zap. Then again, Clefairy's cry sounds a lot like Pipii, so who knows?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Bidoof cries its own name. Thats another one.
    Most of pokemon cries are annoying for me to bother... :/
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Do you read that somewhere in the Internet? It sounds interesting an 'study' about that. Do you have a link? (if you read it somewhere)

About the Pokemons cries. Someone here said he/she prefer the Pokés (on anime) to have a more...(dear God, I'm bad that) 'realistic' cry...something more wild, so they can look wild somehow.
    I kinda disagree at this. I prefer the pokés to have a cry similar to it's name, like the Pikachu one, or Metapod. Not because a more "Will cry" would be bad, in fact it wouldn't be, but for some (weird) reason, i don't like the idea.

Well...why? I guess, it's because they're Japanese?
    There's some people here (in Brazil) that knows both English and Japanese names...most of those "Pokénerds" know it, haha!

Doesn't Vaporeon have a very weird cry on the game, too? I mean....it doesn't sounds like he's saying his name. It sounds really random, it just doesn't fit him, hehe!
    The Black Mages!

Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    No. i don't nickname them. looks idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

Actually, no, I never thought that the in-game cries sounded like their names. The sound Palkia makes though reminds me of the sound that plays when you start up Pokémon Pearl, though it's most likely intentional.

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast