Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something I've been thinking about....

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Shinx is the most prominent one to me. It sounds like its saying Shinx, and it's pretty cute to me.
    Shinx is the only one I really noticed it with as well. It's really cute because it sounds like a purr-growl kind of thing, but it still sounds like it's saying "Shinx". xD

Quote Originally Posted by Rakansen View Post
    Actually, no, I never thought that the in-game cries sounded like their names. The sound Palkia makes though reminds me of the sound that plays when you start up Pokémon Pearl, though it's most likely intentional.
    And you play Pokemon since when? I don't think it's that hard to notice it. Personally, I've found it pretty easy. Look at Caterpie cry, for example, it's *definitely* (that's surely a harsh word to use it, but i will) his name, i doubt it wasn't intended. Metapod is a example, too, but not that convincent. Haunter....
    At least in Yellow, they cries remind me of their names, but Carbon's arguments is way to convincent, so I'm not sure, haha!
    The Black Mages!

Thanks to Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome Banner and the Profile Picture!

Quote Originally Posted by TanBun View Post
    No. i don't nickname them. looks idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    You've GOT to nickname your Pokemon. They're your bros. In arms. In combat. In friendship.

no I don't think so :P
    maybe some like piplup...
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

I'm not so sure about Kyurem! :-O - Unless that's how you pronounce his name :-P.
    Bluebird55's Battle-Beating Duo!

My Friend Code - 1891-1851-7972

its probably a coincidence and that you think of the name so your brain tries to find it in the battlecry. Trust me, it's not there. Try it with magnezone for starters...

There definitely often is some sound symbolism between the game cries and the anime voices. Noticed it right off the bat when I bought my first Pokémon games when the franchise came out. Nowadays I sort of study speech sciences, and I definitely think there is often much symbolism in the prosody: syllabic substances in the game noises often seem to match the name's syllables. Also there are similarities in stress, rhythm, and intonation all in all. Not all the voices though, like the aforementioned Jynx. If that Jynx is saying her own name, she's unfortunately going berserk or something!

EDIT: If not their name, there might be some onomatopoeia in the voices. Ghosts often sound "mysterious", there are hissing/swooshing sounds in their voices. Cute Pokémon have high-pitched voices in major. Big and monstrous Pokémon have loud, roar-like voices. Etc.
    Last edited by Golemite; 25th February 2013 at 2:06 PM.

My current and FINAL Red team.
    I just can't start a new one since there are no Link Cables around these days. Requiscat in Pace! :´(
    (^ Okay, gotta admit it looks better in COLOR! )

Quote Originally Posted by Ana_Julía View Post
    And you play Pokemon since when? I don't think it's that hard to notice it. Personally, I've found it pretty easy. Look at Caterpie cry, for example, it's *definitely* (that's surely a harsh word to use it, but i will) his name, i doubt it wasn't intended. Metapod is a example, too, but not that convincent. Haunter....
    At least in Yellow, they cries remind me of their names, but Carbon's arguments is way to convincent, so I'm not sure, haha!
    I've been playing Pokémon for almost nine years, my first game was LeafGreen.

Actually, I tried pulling up Caterpie's cry after what you said, and I still have no idea how they sound like their names! I have a gut feeling you're joshing me...

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Quote Originally Posted by Rakansen View Post
    I've been playing Pokémon for almost nine years, my first game was LeafGreen.

Actually, I tried pulling up Caterpie's cry after what you said, and I still have no idea how they sound like their names! I have a gut feeling you're joshing me...
    actually, caterpie's cry always sounded like "Yee-haw" to me and butterfree's sounds like "Free-haw" lol

also on that note, Voltorb sounds like "you lost it", Mew sounds like she says her name 10 times, Rattata sounds like "Hault", Muk sounds like it says "The Muk", Krabby sounds like "Ko-Ko-Kobby" and Drowzee sounds like "Drow-drow-drow-drow-drowzee (bam)" XD
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    actually, caterpie's cry always sounded like "Yee-haw" to me and butterfree's sounds like "Free-haw"
    If my memory serves me, that's actually the noise they make in the anime.

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Voltorb...

Its cry sounds the same as its name to me.

I've never noticed that, but now that you say it about the Pikachu, yes.
    But then there's stuff like Gardevoir that sound like they are in pain. e3e
    ~Working on getting a sig~

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    actually, caterpie's cry always sounded like "Yee-haw" to me and butterfree's sounds like "Free-haw" lol

also on that note, Voltorb sounds like "you lost it", Mew sounds like she says her name 10 times, Rattata sounds like "Hault", Muk sounds like it says "The Muk", Krabby sounds like "Ko-Ko-Kobby" and Drowzee sounds like "Drow-drow-drow-drow-drowzee (bam)" XD
    As cockamamie as this sounds, it brings an excellent insight. If you know how the Pokemon sounds (from either the anime or games, your choice) and simple subdivision, you can say its name and make it sound like its cry. Staryu's an obvious exception, but try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12