Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

lol, all my water, grass, poison pokemon are females, my fire, electric, ground, flying ones male.

I guess it depends on type for me :P

I don't care about gender, except when grabbing DW pokemons I want females, because I know I'm only going to get one with average stats I will want it to be able to at least pass its ability down if I want to breed something usable with that ability. Right now I'm working on a pokemon with Rivalry, and since there's sorta a bias for males, I want this one to be male.

Yes I think that means that I have a gender preference. In these cases. But I can't think of other ways that I pay attention to it.

3DS FC: 3394-3551-2987

If it's for my main team I only catch male Pokémon. It comes more from the fact that I like the male symbol more, and I have a terrible OCD that if my Pokémon aren't all of the same gender I go nuts.

I don't really care, unless I need a male, or a female for breeding.
        Spoiler:- games I want:

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

I don't exclusively CATCH the same gender, but I prefer a Pokemon whose gender matches it.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Gender matters to me. If it's an Eeveelution, then I will try my best to get a female Eevee excluding one for Umbreon. If the Pokemon looks feminine to me, I'll catch/breed a female one.

I could care less, really; unless the gender differences are really noticeable. Even then, I just catch whichever one I encounter first, usually.

This thread isn't sexist, but if one catches Pokemon belonging exclusively to his/her gender, there might be some misogny or misandry going on; I don't particularly like either of them.

However, I did prefer male Pokemon for the longest time since there were no repercussions for teaching them TMs; they could breed the moves onto the young whereas the females could not. I used females exclusively for breeding the appropriate natures. I don't necessarily do this anymore.

As a side note, to the somewhat strange instinctive impulse to feel comfortable catching a Pokemon who expresses "noticeable gender norms" (which are reflected by human norms), I must say I think that's understandable, but silly. I love female Machamps, male Gardevoirs and Gothitelles, and for the love of rain try to abstain from so strongly reflecting your ideas of human female qualities onto Eeveelutions (who are vulpine/feline [naturally neotenous creatures] in appearance and also are 87.5% male).
    Last edited by Professor Squirtle; 15th February 2013 at 11:14 PM.

A
    H
    H
    H...

Your first mistake was in the title.

Answer, though: No. Why would I do that? That's stupid.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Haha I when I was younger I wanted all girl Pokemon on my team, unless it was male only. But now it doesn't matter to me, though whenever I get a female starter Pokemon, fossil or something else that is mostly male I feel a bit of elation. xD

Actually it bugs me now if I catch one gender. I normally like to have 3 males and 3 females on my team. xDD Though there is a Pokemon I think/wished was female. Which was my Swoobat. I always call him a girl by accident. ._.;
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 15th February 2013 at 11:31 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squirtle View Post
    This thread isn't sexist, but if one catches Pokemon belonging exclusively to his/her gender, there might be some misogny or misandry going on; I don't particularly like either of them.

[...]

As a side note, to the somewhat strange instinctive impulse to feel comfortable catching a Pokemon who expresses "noticeable gender norms" (which are reflected by human norms), I must say I think that's understandable, but silly. I love female Machamps, male Gardevoirs and Gothitelles, and for the love of rain try to abstain from so strongly reflecting your ideas of human female qualities onto Eeveelutions (who are vulpine/feline [naturally neotenous creatures] in appearance and also are 87.5% male).
    I don't deny the fact that misoginy/misandry is a plausible reason in some cases, but I think that it has to do mainly with what you described in your third paragraph. It's more related to cultural bias than anything else. People tend to force their (culturally ingrained) gender roles into creatures that aren't human and thus, they don't even have genders but sexes. I agree with you it's both understandable and silly. BTW, I never really perceived the presumed femininity of the Eeveelutions and Mew, for example. The fact that many people do is just another proof of the cultural bias and the absurd that is to assign human constructs to Pokémon.

Not really. The only times I do this is when the Pokemon looks weird as a certain gender (like lipstick on female Wobbuffet.)
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

For me, whenever tere is a pokemon I would get, I make 2 names where one is named for the males and one for the females.

Like my examples would be Snivy. If it male, I name him as Toon Link or Solid Snake. If female though, I would name her as something royalty and sexy and (if I'm nasty at times) pervy, furry, and lusty kind of name [yeah ... you know where the last three goes].
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by auteur View Post
    I don't deny the fact that misoginy/misandry is a plausible reason in some cases, but I think that it has to do mainly with what you described in your third paragraph. It's more related to cultural bias than anything else. People tend to force their (culturally ingrained) gender roles into creatures that aren't human and thus, they don't even have genders but sexes. I agree with you it's both understandable and silly. BTW, I never really perceived the presumed femininity of the Eeveelutions and Mew, for example. The fact that many people do is just another proof of the cultural bias and the absurd that is to assign human constructs to Pokémon.
    Well, culture and society are simply physio-psychological extensions of the collective human mind. In other words, regardless of the existence of a society or culture, we have evolved instinctive methods of identifying genders (sexes). As well, every single object with which we come into contact is subconsciously given a gender identity (a stapler, a blue ball, a flower). I understand the perceptions of the Eevelutions as feminine; their shapes (in general), sounds, size and appearance (neotenous, large eyes, small nose, positioning of facial features, small feet) point to this and since we either implicitly determine objects are female or male (this includes dogs, cats, foxes, etc) then it makes sense to consider them "feminine". I like to use my higher reasoning the moments after I impulsively determine "Hey, that has big eyes and looks neotenous - FEMALE," so that I can later resolve it by saying, "This is a neotenous animal that is 87.5% male, so chances are I'm looking at a guy here." All of us have this impulsive method of gender identification, but some of us take it too far and disregard our higher reasoning abilities for our anachronistic lizard brains and their outdated reactions.
    Last edited by Professor Squirtle; 16th February 2013 at 11:26 PM.

A
    H
    H
    H...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Squirtle View Post
    Well, culture and society are simply physio-psychological extensions of the collective human mind. In other words, regardless of the existence of a society or culture, we have evolved instinctive methods of identifying genders (sexes). As well, every single object with which we come into contact is subconsciously given a gender identity (a stapler, a blue ball, a flower). I understand the perceptions of the Eevelutions as feminine; their shapes (in general), sounds, size and appearance (neotenous, large eyes, small nose, positioning of facial features, small feet) point to this and since we either implicitly determine objects are female or male (this includes dogs, cats, foxes, etc) then it makes sense to consider them "feminine". I like to use my higher reasoning the moments after I impulsively determine "Hey, that has big eyes and looks neotenous - FEMALE," so that I can later resolve it by saying, "This is a neotenous animal that is 87.5% male, so chances are I'm looking at a guy here." All of us have this impulsive method of gender identification, but some of us take it too far and disregard our higher reasoning abilities for our anachronistic lizard brains and their outdated reactions.
    I know that, in human beings, nature is mediated by culture. It's hard to tell how much gender identification has to do with nature and how much it has to do with culture. So my point wasn't to try to make a debate about that. What I find interesting is what I bolded. I couldn't have explained it better. We should use our reasoning skills to overcome that first impression (natural, cultural), because even if we tend to humanize things (animals, Pokémon, the way they behave and their looks), we should use our reasoning to discern that they are actually not humans, so they don't have to be like us. And if I wanted to affirm this, it was because I see people wondering why some Pokémon are not male or female only, as if they should be it just because we associate some traits with an specific gender. I guess that, in the end, we agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer SonicLife View Post
    When you play a pokemon game, Do you only catch pokemon of Your gender?

I DON'T know why but I seem to prefer boy pokemon over girls...(EXCEPT FOR FEMALE SNIVYS)
    No, that depends on the Pokémon for me.

3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

I DON'T know why but I seem to prefer boy pokemon over girls...(EXCEPT FOR FEMALE SNIVYS)
    Seems pretty ignorant to me...

I don't care about the gender unless there is a specific evolution I want that is gender required(Female Combee for Vespiquen, Male Kirlia for Gallade etc.)

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

LOL LOL LOL!!!! Oooohhh that last line cracked me up!! On topic: Of course not! If I prefer the particular Pokemon to be a male I'll catch a male and the same is true for females. The gender ratio of my Pokemon teams is about half and half.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Not any more, but I used to catch all male Pokemon before. I always want my starter and gift Pokemon to be male though

Quote Originally Posted by Unoin View Post
    I always want my starter and gift Pokemon to be male though
    Next time why not have female starter for a change?
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

If it looks better as a female, I will get as a female, other wise, I typically go for male. But I did make an exception on Buneary...I just never evolved it.
    You know your name better than I do. YAY!

I really don't catch Pokemon based on their gender unless I need to breed a specific Pokemon. Otherwise if there's a Pokemon I need to ad to my team I usually catch the first one I run into.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

No, but I usually only play Blue or Yellow, so genders don't exist.

(Except for Nidoran, of course.)
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

My preference of Gender depends on the pokemon colour.

Male is a blue icon, female is an red icon.

For one, I prefer to have an Male Totodile because he's blue and an female Cyndaquil because the fire on his back is red.
    Its not an priority, but just style I guess .

Visit my Secret Base and let me know if you enjoyed it

I don't mind catching a Pokemon with either gender. I have a Male Cinccino, and as far as I know gender doesn't matter when it comes to owning! Maybe it's because of my Cinccino's masculinity that it has a 31 Atk and 31 Spd IVs haha.

Best. Glee. Episode. Ever: S2 Blame It on the Alcohol
    "Girl, what you drinking? Gonna let sink in
    Here for the weekend
    Thinking we can
    See what we can be if we press fast forward
    Just one more round and you’re down I know it"

3DS FC: 3110-4067-7812
    PSN: thebestdamnthang

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast