Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

I just catch pokemon, regardless of gender. I know, I'm a derp like that.

I don't usually catch pokemon based on gender.. If it is a pokemon that to me looks cool, is strong, etc. than i'll catch it, whether it is female or male. However, if I am nicknaming the pokemon, and the only name i can think of is a rather one-gendered, then sure, I'll catch a specific gender.
    3DS Friend Code: 2750-1183-1943

I never pay attention to the gender of the Pokemon.
    The only time I ever cared was when I wanted a Gallade.
    Ghosts Rule!
        Spoiler:- Plans for X/Y:

I get what I get. My final team in Pearl had 5 females 1 male (my Bastiodon was a pimp). And my final team in BW2 had 4 females and 1 male (also a genderless magnezone). My starters have been really female lately.

When me and my friends were younger, like 5-8, we tried to only have all male teams (ya know avoiding cooties and such). Even feminine looking Pokemon had to be males like Gardevoir one of my favorite Pokemon.

I think it is very childish to only want a Pokemon of your own gender.

I'm pretty much never choosy about gender when it comes to pokémon. For some reason I tend to have dominantly male teams which often have one token girl, but it's not something I try to do. It actually annoys me when people insist on only using pokémon of their gender, or only using pokémon of the gender they think they look like. Probably because I'm far from a stickler to gender roles, so I don't like the idea that being what is commonly considered feminine or masculine means something automatically has to be one gender.

Strangely enough, when I play a game where pokémon don't have genders, I tend to think of the pokémon in them as "he" unless they're particularly feminine in appearance, in which I pretty much automatically see them as female. And the closest exception was a rattata that knew attract in Mysterious Dungeon (though that was because the first fixed-gender pokémon I saw it attract was a nidorino, but still). That might be more due to the "men are generic, women are special" mentality society tends to have than any particular inclination to my gender. My mother thinks of most animals as "him" as well.

I'm thinking if I ever get to playing my second Mysterious Dungeon game, I'll start being more versatile about what gender I consider my team members (or do the second set of Dungeon games have pokémon with genders?). Maybe I could come up with some female-specific names for a few not-particularly-feminine pokémon (or maybe the reverse for some feminine pokémon).
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

when I get starters, I soft reset till I get a female because I like my pokemon on my team mostly female
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Um... I only go for certain genders if it's going to affect breeding. So, if I want to pass down moves, I'll go for a male. With starters, I'll usually SR for a female so that I'll be able to make better Pokemon of that species more easily without having to use a Ditto. But I don't inherently prefer one gender over another.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I only have gender preferences when it comes to certain branched evolutions. I always like male vileplume and huntails, and female bellossoms and gorebyss. I also like it a lot when I get a female starter (usually through breeding, I don't remember if I've ever gotten a female right off the bat) or eevee. Rare males (like clefairy or vulpix) aren't as valuable.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 08/21 NEW!! 8/22
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: Black1 White1 Diamond Pearl quad hunt; playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

the only pokemon that gender absolutly matters to me is abra kadabra alazkazam must be male the female with a mustache just doesnt appeal to me.

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow

For my main storyline team, I try to make sure all of them are male. If I'm trying to do something with Attract or breeding purposes, then obviously I'll get a female pokemon. If I'm just trying to fill up the National Dex, then I don't care.

I tend to have a preference for most of my team being male, unless it's something I'd prefer to have female. Since I usually tend to nickname what I battle with, it's sort of important to me. So the answer for me is no.

...That being said, I do have some odd female Pokemon, like Steelix and Magcargo... And there's also those odd ones that most would prefer female for some reason, like Mawile and Mienshao, that I happen to prefer having male ones of. Then there's those that are a mixed bag- I have both male and female Vaporeon, for example.

Basically I'm saying, it depends. Silly gender-picky me.
    Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)
    ~*~*~
    "If you want someone to sign a letter addressed to you 'With love', you might try asking someone who doesn't hate your guts."

Default Does a Pokemons' Gender matter for you?

So if you're a male and you get a female Torchic for example, would that annoy you to eventually have a female Blaziken?

The gender of the pokemon doesn't matter to me usually, accept for Pokemon such as Mr Mime....mine HAS to be male.

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

3DS FC- 4141-3093-5467

FS- Flying Safari- Hawlucha,Woobat,Spearow

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

Yes. I literally reset my SoulSilver (and forced my sister to reset her HeartGold) because I didn't want to have a Wobbuffet with LIPSTICK staring at me everytime I used the Pokédex.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

I generally only care if I had a specific name in mind for the Pokemon I'm about to catch. The only exception to that is when dealing with Pokemon like Misdreavus, Gardevoir, Machamp, and so on. Understandably, it can be weird having a Pokemon that's gender seems so defined being contradictory of it's appearance. Though I'd never go as far as resetting/altering anyone's saves over it, even my own.

I prefer to have pokemon with genders that fit them i.e. Gardevoir being female, Machamp being male, but it doesn't really matter much otherwise.
    Claimed

The above sprites were made by me. Any comments/requests are welcome (VM/PM)
    My native Vivillon form is Garden Pattern. If you'd like to trade, just drop a VM/PM and we'll see what we can arrange.
    I am also giving out TCG Online Codes, for more info click here.

It never used to, however since Platinum it does matter now.

I like to imagine my Team in the Anime and how they would act, what gender i can picture them as. If i view them as a male or female depending on the way they act, i'll catch the male/female version.

Weird, so what?

I usually try to get an even distribution of genders on my team.

I never really notice what genders I use during the main story. It only matters if their stats, or abilities, determine how I use them.

Credit goes to Dragonitor for this user bar.
    Current Shinies
    MM: "Tyrunt" "Noibat"
    Current MM Hunt: Klefki

RE: None
    FS: Bergmite
    Future FS: None planned atm

SR: Fennekin
    Future SR:
    CF:

Ready to start hunting!

For great emphasis(because no one seems to read this part):NONE OF MY SHINIES ARE FOR TRADE. I only hunt for my shinies at the moment.

My code for 3DS/XY: 2406-5350-1882

Nope .

Genders, natures, they all just add characteristics to my team. Work with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_phoenix View Post
    The gender of the pokemon doesn't matter to me usually, accept for Pokemon such as Mr Mime....mine HAS to be male.
    I wonder why...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

Yeah, before they changed the everstone trick, I only wanted female pokemon. I can deal with male sometimes, though.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Clearly Mega Ampharos has been sharing its beauty secrets with Altaria.

If it's a Pokemon with a feminine appearance, I want it to be Female. If it has a masculine appearance, I want it to be Male. If it's neutral, it doesn't matter to me. I'll be picky about it's Nature before it's Gender, though. So if I find a Modest Female Abra, I'll take it before a Quirky Male Abra.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_phoenix View Post
    I heard the Japanese name doesn't imply gender, but when I catch my Mr. Mime and it's female, I just name it Mrs. Mime.
    Last edited by The DragonKnight; 21st February 2013 at 4:11 PM.

Doesn't matter to me. It only affects to what nickname I give to a pokémon.
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/3g21x.png[/IMG]
    Thanks to AWildMew for the awesome team pose

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast