Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joey Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless123 View Post
    I've heard of Nuzlockes and Mono type challenges, but never the Joey Challenge. It sounds really cool... I might try it one day.

"My rattatta is the top form of rattatta."
    Yep! I'd heard about Nuzlocke before the Joey Challenge, but without the name. It was just described to me as "hardcore Pokemon." I really started learning about the challenges after I started this one, but the Joey Challenge has a certain appeal to me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    Morty was, actually, the whole reason I never tried a Joey challenge. I checked Rattata's movepool and didn't see it as being possible. Forgot about TMs, and even if I had I always forget that Levitate isn't a thing yet, lol.

Great progress so far, good luck in Victory Road!
    Yeah, he really was a pain. The first time I realized I might have trouble is when I went against ??? (my rival) and I had to have a struggle-battle with his Gastly. Neither side could hit the other. XD (In the end, his Croconaw got a critical, so I had to restart from my last save...lol)

Thanks!

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 65
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

After doing some exploring through Whirl Islands (found nothing--I guess Lugia shows up later?), I made my way through Victory Road and ended up at the Pokemon League! Will wasn't too bad. Neither was Koga.

Bruno, on the other hand...We'll work on it.

Spoiler:- Elite Four Will was defeated!:

Spoiler:- Elite Four Koga was defeated!:

Quote Originally Posted by Ris_Grestar View Post
    Yep! I'd heard about Nuzlocke before the Joey Challenge, but without the name. It was just described to me as "hardcore Pokemon." I really started learning about the challenges after I started this one, but the Joey Challenge has a certain appeal to me. lol

Yeah, he really was a pain. The first time I realized I might have trouble is when I went against ??? (my rival) and I had to have a struggle-battle with his Gastly. Neither side could hit the other. XD (In the end, his Croconaw got a critical, so I had to restart from my last save...lol)

Thanks!
    I like it how you can make Nuzlockes even more difficult by giving yourself additional rules like only using potions that you found on the ground etc. Plus you can do as many Nuzlockes as you want and each time it'll be different -like the team you use. But I think I'd get bored with the Joey Challenge if I tried it more than once, truth be told.

I like it how you can make Nuzlockes even more difficult by giving yourself additional rules like only using potions that you found on the ground etc. Plus you can do as many Nuzlockes as you want and each time it'll be different -like the team you use. But I think I'd get bored with the Joey Challenge if I tried it more than once, truth be told.
    Yeah, I can agree with that. The only variation I can really imagine is on which game you try the Joey Challenge, but yeah, even then you get the same Pokemon with probably the same moveset. For a first time, though, it's fun.

After this, I think I want to try a Nuzlocke or such challenge. Yea or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Ris_Grestar View Post
    Yeah, I can agree with that. The only variation I can really imagine is on which game you try the Joey Challenge, but yeah, even then you get the same Pokemon with probably the same moveset. For a first time, though, it's fun.

After this, I think I want to try a Nuzlocke or such challenge. Yea or nay?
    If you think you can release any fainted pokemon, I'd say go for it.

I'd follow you for a Nuzlocke. And I don't think you need to release your Pokemon when they faint, just perma-box them.

Best of luck finishing the League!
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

If you think you can release any fainted pokemon, I'd say go for it.
    Heh, and I tend to grow attachments to my party Pokemon...It'd certainly make things interesting. Make me play a lot more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    I'd follow you for a Nuzlocke. And I don't think you need to release your Pokemon when they faint, just perma-box them.

Best of luck finishing the League!
    Awesome, glad to hear it! And thanks!

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 70
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

So it took a fair number of tries to defeat Bruno (I think four...). Rattata had to grow five levels since I started fighting the Elite Four before he could withstand a Cross Chop. That meant a lot of white-outs and a lot of lost cash.

But, Bruno was defeated, and with that I am most of the way through the Elite Four!

Spoiler:- Elite Four Bruno was defeated!:

Challenge accepted!! lol no but seriously I think I MAY have heard of this a while back not too sure...

question, aside from only have the rattata, is their a limit on how many times you die/faint with it, or is it just complete the game with the rattata limit??

Quote Originally Posted by silverporygon767 View Post
    Challenge accepted!! lol no but seriously I think I MAY have heard of this a while back not too sure...

question, aside from only have the rattata, is their a limit on how many times you die/faint with it, or is it just complete the game with the rattata limit??
    Where I found the rules, it didn't say anything about fainting. But this is what I gather:

The rules say that while fighting the Elite Four, you can only have Rattata in your party. I take that to mean that you can't use Revives, and if they have to specify that, then I don't think there's a limit on fainting.

My Rattata has fainted a fair number of times lol I soft-reset when he did (until I reached the Elite Four, then I whited out and paid up).

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 73
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

As it turns out, Karen is the Dark-type leader, not Ghost-type. That was good. But Karen did prove difficult for one battle: Her Gengar used Destiny Bond, so as soon as I knocked him out, Rattata fainted, too. But my next try through the Elite Four, I made it to Lance without any major difficulty.

Spoiler:- Elite Four leader Karen was defeated!:

After Karen, of course, came Lance.

I had to heal a lot, but I defeated him the first time!

Spoiler:- Elite Four leader Lance was defeated!:

So you know what that means...!

Spoiler:- Rattata, Hall of Famer!:

Though Rattata's already in the top percentage ('cause he's awesome :P), I've learned that I can also go through the Kanto gyms. What do you guys think? Yea or nay?

*Throws confetti*
    Conglaturation!

I'd be interested to see you run the Kanto Gym Leaders, but let's be fair here. You beat Lance, you'll destroy them. I say start a Nuzlocke!
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

I wanna see you make it to Red
    The Graceful Assassin

Credit to FairyWitch

Interesting, I've never heard and tried it.
    Joey has been popular recently...
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

I'm actually doing this now, though on LeafGreen, not GSC...
    I have to give Rattata a new move, since Gastly/Haunter are gonna kill me....

Lv. 51
    Quick Attack
    Dig
    Hyper Fang
    Secret Power
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    I'm actually doing this now, though on LeafGreen, not GSC...
    I have to give Rattata a new move, since Gastly/Haunter are gonna kill me....

Lv. 51
    Quick Attack
    Dig
    Hyper Fang
    Secret Power
    Ooh, yeah. I would say that Dig should work fine, but they have Levitate by LeafGreen, don't they? lol Tell me how you work that out!

Anyway, sorry for the wait, guys! Over Easter weekend I was with my dad, so I couldn't upload anything. But now that I'm back at home...

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 75
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

After riding the S.S. Aqua to Vermilion City, I challenged Lt. Surge, the Lightning American! As it turns out, the trash-can traps are the hardest part of the gym, and those were disabled this time around. So, now I have the Thunderbadge!

Spoiler:- Leader Lt. Surge was defeated!:

Also, I plan on finding the Return TM and teaching it to Rattata. Not too important right now, but just for your information.

(And does anyone know how to post actual images instead of just the links? That'd be cool lol)

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 76
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

After defeating Lt. Surge in Vermilion City, I headed up into Saffron City. I took a little time to explore the city and chat with its inhabitants before taking on the gym. The teleporting pads were a pain (especially when finding my way out of the gym...), but I eventually made my way to Sabrina and defeated her. The Marshbadge is mine!

Spoiler:- Leader Sabrina was defeated!:

(Yeah, the attachment was an accident...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 81
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Return
    Hyper Fang

It took a while longer to find the next gym (and I was held up by a convention I attended), but I finally reached Fuchsia City and challenged the gym leader. Janine, while maybe not easy to find, per se, was easy to defeat. And with that, I add another badge to my collection: the Soulbadge!

Spoiler:- Leader Janine was defeated!:

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 82
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Return
    Hyper Fang

Compared to finding the last gym, this one wasn't so bad. Up to this point, still no luck with the Power Plant issue, but the battles are never hard. So with this, the Rainbowbadge is mine!

Spoiler:- Leader Erika was defeated!:

I will have to use the website playr.org to do it. I would never restart any of my games.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

Come on! You can do this! Show them the true power of rattata! XD
    GL
    Together we ride!
    "You can make anything you want go your way in life. You just have to know how to work the RNG."

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 86
    Mud-slap
    Super Fang
    Return
    Hyper Fang

First, I just wanna say that at the time of the last leader I fought, Rattata was level 86. You can see his level at the time of each individual leader by looking at the pictures. :P

So the main issue was just finding or reaching all of the leaders! Blue, so far, had the strongest Pokemon (to my recollection), which makes sense to me. The way I see it, there's just one thing left to do: Take on Red!

Spoiler:- Leader Brock was defeated!:

Spoiler:- Leader Blue was defeated!:

Spoiler:- Leader Blaine was defeated!:

Hmm. I started my first nuzloche a few months ago and kinda lost interest around my 4th badge.
    This seems like something I could get into.
    Teddiursa 4 Lyfe

Representing PokemonVoyage.com
    V2 Soon.

UPDATE!

Rattata
    Lv. 90
    Icy Wind
    Super Fang
    Return
    Hyper Fang

That's right, guys: I challenged Red at Mt. Silver. I can't say that I defeated him on my first try, but the second time around, once I had established a strategy, I claimed my victory! Pokemon Trainer Red was defeated!

Spoiler:- Pokemon Trainer Red was defeated!:

If you wanna see the actual video if the battle, you can find it here: http://youtu.be/fVCRfntgDF8

It actually ended up being the 100th video in my Youngster Joey Challenge playlist, so I thought that was pretty awesome. :P

Congratz dude I've been following your series on Youtube.
    Riding the Omega Ruby Hype Train Choo Choo

Nice man, I'm doing my own now. Didn't restart just found a dead game and replaced the battery. So I am working on the first gym leader.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12