Thread: Back into the TCG

Default Back into the TCG

So I got into the competitive scene a while back, but got out of it since there was little support for it in my area and the tournament goers were overly competitive and would crush and cheat newbies like me. But now, I heard that it has been better this time around, with 30 people at my local league, more prereleases, better organizers, etc.

To top it off, two people at my high school collect pokemon cards. I got myself up to speed with the current meta, and know my State's championship date (March 16th.) I'm coaching my friends on the meta, and bought myself four packs today to wean me back into the scene.

I'm going to my old league on Sunday, to maybe get some discount packs and trade my old cards for playable ones. Money is loose enough for me to buy one box, and most of my pokemon will come from Boundaries crossed (Keldeo/Blastoise.) I could also get my buddies to get the Keldeo tins coming out and lend me them, since both of them are playing Darkrai variants.

So here is my question to the entire subforum: (a.k.a. ven?) What are my chances of getting a deck in 2 weeks ready for states? I could test the format/watch matches on Sunday, enough to make me not go 0-X, but shoulod I even go for states? Regionals is just around the corner after all.

Lastly, since this is my first year in the Masters division, what is the competition jump from Seniors to Masters? Am I doomed to wait until Regionals to get back into the scene?
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

So here is my question to the entire subforum: (a.k.a. ven?)
    I don't know what to say.

Well It depends, if you're getting back into it and states/or regionals is close by and easy to get to take the experience and move on, even if you lose you know what you have to develop upon to get stronger for the next tournament ahead even if it's a battle roads. But as for the senior/master difference, that's a known debate on many forums but what I can tell from playing both is the skill level and play level, for instance I have 3-4 seniors who play aggro and specialty decks and 1 senior apart from them who plays more teir decklists like what I see alot of people in the masters division play but yet his skill level is still that only of a senior so you could say, so really the only difference is skill level.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Today went pretty great. I did a thing by my local fire station (today was voting day) and was able to raise money to get 2 booster boxes for packs for anybody who wanted to learn to play pokemon after school (my friend bought theme decks for a how to play seminar/mini-tourney on friday.) We are going to divide the packs among the people, with the top 2 getting twice as many packs. I go to a nerdy school where everyone is either a pokemon or a yu-gi-oh fanatic, so this should prove successful.

Personally, I got a boundaries crossed box out of my personal funds, and some odds and ends like sleeves, dice, etc. I'll be going to trade at a league tomorrow. I'm mostly glad as to how seriously we are taking this, and with 2 league meetings and the friday, my 2 friends and I will be prepared to play and enjoy ourselves at states. It's funny how we spent about $500 on cards within a week, and I'm still trying to get a few cards that I need (most of them will hopefully come in my box.)
    When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.