Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Nerd Rage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default Nerd Rage

    Nerds have become a "cool" fad lately. Buying thick rim glasses, playing CoD, watching live action Mortal Kombat and Machinimas are all considered the cool, nerdy thing. But lets be real, thats not nerdy. Playing Magic, Legends of the Five Rings, Pokemon, Math, Comics, Dr Who, Star Trek (not just the new movie), just generally being really into technology, THATS being a nerd.

    Who truly considers themselves a nerd here?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Yeah, I've noticed what's considered "nerdy" has started to get popular with the general public lately. Maybe it's society moving into a more technologically savvy period or maybe it's the media. Probably a bit of both.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    *sigh* Ohio
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Video games used to be something that only nerds played. Then CoD came out, and nerds started pretending to be jocks, resulting in the horrid combination of social awkwardness and douchebaggery we see these days.
    The average person after entering #spp-misc
    3DS Friend Code 4656-5949-1831

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I don't personally consider CoD to be a nerdy thing at all, regardless of it being a video game. I feel like CoD is in a class of its own because I've seen nerds (me and some friends) play on PC and they generally run the lobby most of the time. I think its caused an identity crisis with douchebags who would pick on nerds even 3 years ago, but say their the biggest nerd now.

    I was in chess club, built my own computer along side 3 friends who all built their own in a computer class in high school so we could install windows 98 and play the first Doom together in a LAN party we built ourselves. Now according to other people, thats the coolest thing ever! When before they would bully us for it.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    I think a bigger question is: Who actually cares?

    I don't understand people who are elitist about "nerd culture." It's in no way important.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I think a bigger question is: Who actually cares?

    I don't understand people who are elitist about "nerd culture." It's in no way important.

    Its not being elitist, i never said "HAHA WE'RE NERDS AND PROUD OF IT! YOU OTHER NERDS GET OUT OF HERE!". I don't understand those who try to fake their way into a social hierarchy that is popular right now when 2 years ago they were "pumping iron and one of the top MMA prospects in the city" like every other kid like them.

    Its a common like amongst all the "nerds" just like being a hardcore jock is a thing. If one year I was a prep, then one year I was huge into MMA and BJJ, then one year I was a nerd and wearing lenseless glasses, then the next year I was a hardcore jock all based on how popular they were, don't you think thats a tad annoying and insulting to the people who actually value their views and social groups?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Its not being elitist, i never said "HAHA WE'RE NERDS AND PROUD OF IT! YOU OTHER NERDS GET OUT OF HERE!". I don't understand those who try to fake their way into a social hierarchy that is popular right now when 2 years ago they were "pumping iron and one of the top MMA prospects in the city" like every other kid like them.

    Its a common like amongst all the "nerds" just like being a hardcore jock is a thing. If one year I was a prep, then one year I was huge into MMA and BJJ, then one year I was a nerd and wearing lenseless glasses, then the next year I was a hardcore jock all based on how popular they were, don't you think thats a tad annoying and insulting to the people who actually value their views and social groups?
    I don't actually care what people identify as. People like what they like. You can be a jock and like "nerdy" things. None of the interests you listed are mutually exclusive. If people do what's popular and change year to year, what's that matter to you? They'll probably change again next year and your complaints will be pointless.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,102

    Default

    I am nerd and damn proud .
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I don't actually care what people identify as. People like what they like. You can be a jock and like "nerdy" things. None of the interests you listed are mutually exclusive. If people do what's popular and change year to year, what's that matter to you? They'll probably change again next year and your complaints will be pointless.
    I don't necessarily care what people identify as either, but when people are saturating a demographic to the point where now people who actually identify with that group have to see people who think they're trolls, really stupid memes, 1337 speak, and other such things all over the place to the point where its hard to ignore when people would have been picked on for the same thing not long ago....yeah its a tad annoying.

    And sorry to break it to ya cool guy, but as much of a lone wolf as you think you are and that you fit in with everyone, you definitely have a group of people you identify with or you would have no close friends.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    I don't necessarily care what people identify as either, but when people are saturating a demographic to the point where now people who actually identify with that group have to see people who think they're trolls, really stupid memes, 1337 speak, and other such things all over the place to the point where its hard to ignore when people would have been picked on for the same thing not long ago....yeah its a tad annoying.

    And sorry to break it to ya cool guy, but as much of a lone wolf as you think you are and that you fit in with everyone, you definitely have a group of people you identify with or you would have no close friends.
    You do realize that stupid memes have been around for a lot longer than "fake nerds" and that "1337 speak" was originally a "nerd" phenomenon, right? Just because people were picked on for something a while back doesn't mean new people can't like it now. If you don't like something, ignore it. Don't like "fake nerds" who play Call of Duty? Pick a different game to play. There are a shit ton of FPS games almost exactly like it anyway. You know what's even more annoying that "jocks" or "preps" invading nerd territory? People who have to act like being a nerd is a big deal and even feel the need to label people as "fake" nerds. It's really kind of stupid.

    I hate to break it to ya, cool guy, but I'm not a guy. I never said I was a lone wolf or even implied it. I have friends with various interest. I guess the only "group" I associate myself with would be my other nursing friends? I don't really side with any one group because I don't have such narrow interests.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    You do realize that stupid memes have been around for a lot longer than "fake nerds" and that "1337 speak" was originally a "nerd" phenomenon, right? Just because people were picked on for something a while back doesn't mean new people can't like it now. If you don't like something, ignore it. Don't like "fake nerds" who play Call of Duty? Pick a different game to play. There are a shit ton of FPS games almost exactly like it anyway. You know what's even more annoying that "jocks" or "preps" invading nerd territory? People who have to act like being a nerd is a big deal and even feel the need to label people as "fake" nerds. It's really kind of stupid.

    I hate to break it to ya, cool guy, but I'm not a guy. I never said I was a lone wolf or even implied it. I have friends with various interest. I guess the only "group" I associate myself with would be my other nursing friends? I don't really side with any one group because I don't have such narrow interests.

    Even better, girls are way cliquier than guys. Not acting like being a nerd is a big deal, its a common interest that a group of people can bond over. And its very current, so your argument is the equivalent of saying "Youtube probably won't be around in a few years, so your channel and views don't even matter"

    I don't play CoD, I don't enjoy playing against bots and people who feel the need to just be annoying
    I realize memes have been around for a long time, but not in the capacity that they are at and the locations where they're being posted. Its like /b/ exploded.
    I know 1337 speak is a nerd thing....that was the point.
    I'm a signed rapper, played football on a semi pro level where I'm from, and consider myself a nerd by definition so you implying that I have narrow interests is incredibly wrong.

    You know what is worse than these people saturating social groups? Conceited people who think they are too grown up and so well rounded that they are above all social groups and need to educate those lesser minds who associate themselves with a "brand"


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The United States of Kingdom
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    For the record, I am what you would call a 'nerd' and I also don't care about the supposed 'saturation' of the nerd culture, if anything it's a good thing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Benmeister View Post
    For the record, I am what you would call a 'nerd' and I also don't care about the supposed 'saturation' of the nerd culture, if anything it's a good thing.
    Care to elaborate on your thought?


    For the record, this was never an 'air my grievance and be angry with me' thread. This was to find out who considers themselves a nerd by definition and what they enjoy that makes them such. Egos rule though....


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Even better, girls are way cliquier than guys. Not acting like being a nerd is a big deal, its a common interest that a group of people can bond over. And its very current, so your argument is the equivalent of saying "Youtube probably won't be around in a few years, so your channel and views don't even matter"
    My argument wasn't equivalent to that at all. You said a few posts ago that some people jump from social group to social group on a yearly basis, meaning they'd only be around to annoy your social group for a limited time. Let me make a better example of what I mean. I love Lord of the Rings. I own all the books and the movies and many of Tolkien's other works such as The Silmarillion. Obviously, I'm a fan. Was it kind of annoying to me when other fans who have only seen the movies or just got into it because it was a big thing when The Hobbit came out in theaters? Well, yeah, there was minor irritation, but those people are just going to pass on through until the next Iron Man movie comes out. So there isn't any reason for me to complain about them. Also, fandoms in general are fucking annoying and ruin most things so I try to steer clear of people who take media too seriously.

    I don't play CoD, I don't enjoy playing against bots and people who feel the need to just be annoying
    So you really don't have any reason to complain about "fake" nerds who only play CoD, do you? They're not harming your gaming experience in any way.

    I realize memes have been around for a long time, but not in the capacity that they are at and the locations where they're being posted. Its like /b/ exploded.
    Memes have long been an annoying thing on the internet. They're not going away anytime soon. Most places you see these things are on social media sites now. You aren't obligated to have to be around those people.

    I know 1337 speak is a nerd thing....that was the point.
    So you're admitting that nerds came up with something incredibly annoying. And actually, when I think about it, I haven't seen anyone seriously use 1337 speak since, like, the early 2000s. So that's kind of a non-issue.

    I'm a signed rapper, played football on a semi pro level where I'm from, and consider myself a nerd by definition so you implying that I have narrow interests is incredibly wrong.
    I never said you had narrow interests nor did I intend to imply that. I was simply saying that, for myself, I don't affiliate myself with any one social group because I have a variety of interests and friends. To be frank, most social groups wouldn't want me because I'm not highly invested in most of my interests. They're interests to me, not a lifestyle. I'm not serious enough about those things to be welcomed in those groups. I like what I like and I don't care what other people like them.

    'You know what is worse than these people saturating social groups? Conceited people who think they are too grown up and so well rounded that they are above all social groups and need to educate those lesser minds who associate themselves with a "brand"
    That's quite a lot of vitriol you have there. Tell us how you really feel.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The United States of Kingdom
    Posts
    5,456

    Default

    Care to elaborate on your thought?
    Well surely it shows some form of acceptance by others? I can't see that being anything other than positive, regardless of how fad-ish it is.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    My argument wasn't equivalent to that at all. You said a few posts ago that some people jump from social group to social group on a yearly basis, meaning they'd only be around to annoy your social group for a limited time. Let me make a better example of what I mean. I love Lord of the Rings. I own all the books and the movies and many of Tolkien's other works such as The Silmarillion. Obviously, I'm a fan. Was it kind of annoying to me when other fans who have only seen the movies or just got into it because it was a big thing when The Hobbit came out in theaters? Well, yeah, there was minor irritation, but those people are just going to pass on through until the next Iron Man movie comes out. So there isn't any reason for me to complain about them. Also, fandoms in general are fucking annoying and ruin most things so I try to steer clear of people who take media too seriously.
    So then I figure that you would understand a topic of this nature as it would be the same as you posting a thread saying "In lieu of all the people getting into Tolkien's work due to The Hobbit coming to theatres, who is a "real" fan of Tolkien's work outside of the major motion pictures". I didn't actually complain at all in the first post, just said that doing those few things I listed aren't by definition nerdy. But again its the internet and people will read what they wish.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    I'll sing Row, you sing Row
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Its not being elitist, i never said "HAHA WE'RE NERDS AND PROUD OF IT! YOU OTHER NERDS GET OUT OF HERE!". I don't understand those who try to fake their way into a social hierarchy that is popular right now when 2 years ago they were "pumping iron and one of the top MMA prospects in the city" like every other kid like them.

    Its a common like amongst all the "nerds" just like being a hardcore jock is a thing. If one year I was a prep, then one year I was huge into MMA and BJJ, then one year I was a nerd and wearing lenseless glasses, then the next year I was a hardcore jock all based on how popular they were, don't you think thats a tad annoying and insulting to the people who actually value their views and social groups?

    So what you're saying is "Now that 'nerd culture' is popular I feel justified in acting elitist based on my opinions much like the bullies I complain about did to me instead of ignoring it and going about my business as usual since it doesn't affect me in the first place".

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    So then I figure that you would understand a topic of this nature as it would be the same as you posting a thread saying "In lieu of all the people getting into Tolkien's work due to The Hobbit coming to theatres, who is a "real" fan of Tolkien's work outside of the major motion pictures". I didn't actually complain at all in the first post, just said that doing those few things I listed aren't by definition nerdy. But again its the internet and people will read what they wish.
    I would never complain about people being a "real" fan or not of anything. A fan is anyone who likes something and it doesn't matter how they got into it. It's not my place to tell someone if they're a "real" fan or not because any fan is a "real" fan. In fact, it's the people who constantly go on about who is "real" and who isn't that I dislike. Also, who are you to decide the definition of the word "nerdy?" Can you give me your credentials? You got a phD in 21st Century Subcultures we don't know about?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post

    So what you're saying is "Now that 'nerd culture' is popular I feel justified in acting elitist based on my opinions much like the bullies I complain about did to me instead of ignoring it and going about my business as usual since it doesn't affect me in the first place".
    Again, not elitist. As Persian sad, even she was annoyed a little by the influx of people all of a sudden interested in The Hobbit because of a movie. I think you all fail to realize there was no complaining in my OP, just a call for people who are defined as a nerd and the hobbies that make them as such


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    I would never complain about people being a "real" fan or not of anything. A fan is anyone who likes something and it doesn't matter how they got into it. It's not my place to tell someone if they're a "real" fan or not because any fan is a "real" fan. In fact, it's the people who constantly go on about who is "real" and who isn't that I dislike. Also, who are you to decide the definition of the word "nerdy?" Can you give me your credentials? You got a phD in 21st Century Subcultures we don't know about?
    one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds> via Webster. So strategy games, technology to the extent of building their own computers and such/hacks would be nerdy things. Wasn't my definition.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Again, not elitist. As Persian sad, even she was annoyed a little by the influx of people all of a sudden interested in The Hobbit because of a movie. I think you all fail to realize there was no complaining in my OP, just a call for people who are defined as a nerd and the hobbies that make them as such
    It was minor irritation, but that was it. I don't actually care that those people are now into something that I'm into. Like I said, I find all fandoms to be annoying because I think people take things too seriously. Why can't CoD be nerdy? Are there only certain games that are considered nerdy now? Are movies based on games not nerdy now? What if they were made in the 90s? If someone isn't tech-savvy, are they no longer a nerd? The idea of what is "nerdy" is way too broad of an idea for you to cherry pick what things fall under it.

    Edit: Your definition was of a computer nerd, not just "nerd" in general. How exactly are comic books considered nerdy under your given definition?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    No that was meant as "ie. computer nerd". The definition was under NERD in the Webster dictionary


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Fair enough, but are you going to actually answer any of my other questions or just ignore them?

    Also, how is CoD not "nerdy" if it does, in some way, involve strategy?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    Fair enough, but are you going to actually answer any of my other questions or just ignore them?

    Also, how is CoD not "nerdy" if it does, in some way, involve strategy?
    What CoD has devolved into is people who have found a way to incorporate repetition and modded controllers, so where its at right now, no there is no real strategy at the moment. No anywhere near the likes of games like Command and Conquer or Starcraft.

    90's have nothing to do with it, not sure where that came from.

    As for the tech thing, that has a good deal to do with it as technological stuff is considered a pretty intellectual field that people who want to excel in have to devote their life to learning every update that comes out. I don't think you CAN'T be considered nerdy if you took the time to learn coding and all the inner workings of hacks


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    What CoD has devolved into is people who have found a way to incorporate repetition and modded controllers, so where its at right now, no there is no real strategy at the moment. No anywhere near the likes of games like Command and Conquer or Starcraft.
    Does finding that way not involve some kind of intelligence? That's still a strategy, is it not?

    90's have nothing to do with it, not sure where that came from.
    Because if people talked about how much they loved the Super Mario Bros movie or the old Mortal Kombat movie, people wouldn't hesitate to call them nerds. But somehow liking the Mortal Kombat live-action webseries is now too fadish for people to consider it nerdy? There's a bit of dissonance there if I do say so myself.

    As for the tech thing, that has a good deal to do with it as technological stuff is considered a pretty intellectual field that people who want to excel in have to devote their life to learning every update that comes out. I don't think you CAN'T be considered nerdy if you took the time to learn coding and all the inner workings of hacks
    What about nerds that aren't into tech. stuff? Someone who plays Magic, is really into LotR, and LARPs every weekend would fall easily into the nerd category even if they aren't a techhie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •