Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nerd Rage

Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    Does finding that way not involve some kind of intelligence? That's still a strategy, is it not?

Because if people talked about how much they loved the Super Mario Bros movie or the old Mortal Kombat movie, people wouldn't hesitate to call them nerds. But somehow liking the Mortal Kombat live-action webseries is now too fadish for people to consider it nerdy? There's a bit of dissonance there if I do say so myself.

What about nerds that aren't into tech. stuff? Someone who plays Magic, is really into LotR, and LARPs every weekend would fall easily into the nerd category even if they aren't a techhie.

Purchasing a modded controller isn't intelligent....Doesn't take intelligence to buy a cheat for a game

The reference to the live action MK was more a nod to the people who watch it because its violence and don't care that its MK. The people who are watching it because they're an MK fan and aren't just watching it because its a live action kill fest are the ones that I would consider the nerds for that.

I think its an anomaly to find people who LARP every weekend, play Magic seriously and are really into LOTR who aren't also into some sort of techy stuff whether it be game system specs to computers to coding.

Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Purchasing a modded controller isn't intelligent....Doesn't take intelligence to buy a cheat for a game

The reference to the live action MK was more a nod to the people who watch it because its violence and don't care that its MK. The people who are watching it because they're an MK fan and aren't just watching it because its a live action kill fest are the ones that I would consider the nerds for that.

I think its an anomaly to find people who LARP every weekend, play Magic seriously and are really into LOTR who aren't also into some sort of techy stuff whether it be game system specs to computers to coding.
    You don't actually know anyone's reason for watching it other than your own. And is it just more or are most MK fans really into it because it's a kickass kill fest?

My point was that the nerd subculture is a very, very broad one. You can't just decide what falls under the "nerd" umbrella because there are millions of different people with different interests that fall into that category. Just because you don't like someone's particular brand of "nerd" doesn't mean they aren't nerdy.

You don't actually know anyone's reason for watching it other than your own. And is it just more or are most MK fans really into it because it's a kickass kill fest?

My point was that the nerd subculture is a very, very broad one. You can't just decide what falls under the "nerd" umbrella because there are millions of different people with different interests that fall into that category. Just because you don't like someone's particular brand of "nerd" doesn't mean they aren't nerdy.
    Well I said 'by definition' several times and provided a definition by which to classify them. So I am not deciding it, I'm using an official definition of a subculture provided by the people who decide what words mean.

Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Well I said 'by definition' several times and provided a definition by which to classify them. So I am not deciding it, I'm using an official definition of a subculture provided by the people who decide what words mean.
    Even that definition is broad. You said in your first post, "But lets be real, thats not nerdy." I don't know about thick-rimmed glasses (other than being a stereotype) being nerdy (I'd actually imagine that in this day and age, they're more "hipster), but the other things you listed can actually fall under the nerd definition.

Even that definition is broad. You said in your first post, "But lets be real, thats not nerdy." I don't know about thick-rimmed glasses (other than being a stereotype) being nerdy (I'd actually imagine that in this day and age, they're more "hipster), but the other things you listed can actually fall under the nerd definition.
    I'll give you the hipster thing with the thick rimmed glasses although there are a ton of people posting pics with the caption "OMG im so nerdy lulz' wearing them.

Also, solid title change from whoever did it.

i don't think you are truly a nerd until you have an internet argument about what it means to be a nerd
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i don't think you are truly a nerd until you have an internet argument about what it means to be a nerd
    qft^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    we are very intellectual and academic, moot.

we are very intellectual and academic, moot.
    It actually stayed way more civil and structured than one would expect from an internet argument so I'm impressed by that fact alone

How exactly are comic books considered nerdy under your given definition?
    The whole thing with the nerd category is that things that fall under it are fairly arbitrary. It's pretty much the stuff that "those kids who weren't popular in school" liked. Beyond that, the things under the category don't necessarily have to have any sort of connection beyond that.

Which is mostly why I don't like the term nerd. Just because I like thing X and you consider that to be a nerd thing, does mean I have to also like or "nerd thing y." (or even give it the time of day)

I would rather have the activities I am into be popular honestly. That way I can actually share my interests with people who I enjoy being around.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

I See myself as a cool nerd I play sports and stuff But...I read manga Watch Anime Play beyblade and video games and I love MLP (Fluttershy4Eva!!!!)

3DS FC: 5000-3615-6054 IGN-Hyori
    MY BLACK FC: 4642 5240 8797
    My black2 FC 5415 8754 8627

I'm an event hunter If you've got events Pm me ,shinies welcome

I'm a nerd, the type who would have been bullied in the past.

Obv. none of you have seen some of the kids at my school who are still douchebags thinking their the only "cool" people in the school. The only thing they do "nerdy", btw, is play CoD
    Yep we should ban baton pass, and weather too. Oh and Trick Room, I'm tired of having to worry about Trick Room all the time. Just ban the move Trick Room, and prankster, it's broken. Ban all status moves on prankster users, they're too cheap. Oh and ban Probopass to it's so cheap. Just ban everything except Magikarp with splash.
    Well, actually Blaziken isn't really Uber because some people whined about how they were getting owned by it. I mean, it doesn't stand a chance in the Uber enviroment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12