Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on mid battle evolutions

Default Thoughts on mid battle evolutions

It's a recurring theme where Pokemon evolve to save the day in the Anime like in the middle of a battle. It can seem cheesy and they seem to love this trope a lot but is possible that adrenaline and strong emotions helps initiate the evolution process where the Pokemon is close to it. They can, after all, stop the evolution process so...

Your thoughts?

My thoughts:

Its a wonderrful thing and I like it. Such evolutions should also occur in the games as it will be wonderful. For eg: Your last pokemon is in its red hp line same as your foe and it evolves at the right moment saying the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Champbybirth View Post
    My thoughts:

Its a wonderrful thing and I like it. Such evolutions should also occur in the games as it will be wonderful. For eg: Your last pokemon is in its red hp line same as your foe and it evolves at the right moment saying the day.

This would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Kokatsu View Post
    This would be nice
    It irritated me a lot in my R/S/E when my pokemon lost when it needed just a few more exp points to evolve.

It's been far to overused, IMO. Some of them is just cheesy. Like Pokemon A evolved mid-battle and gets an instant Max Potion. It's just lame when that happens. However, sometimes the writer know how to handle them nicely, and we've got a few good examples of good handling of evolution. Sewaddle -> Swadloon is one. It beat two Pokemon during evolution, granted, but it wasn't able to beat Leavanny, its evolved form. This makes it much more easier to believe than the 'evolved-and-1HKO-everything' type of evolution. Another good example would be Turtwig -> Grotle, where it actually had troubles moving after evolution, and it hindered him rather than helped.

To be honest, I hate the 'x pokemon evolves and turns the table against y pokemon and 1HKO'd it with a steroid pumped z move only to be beaten by a noob's X pokemon in the following episode'. I have no problems with winning after evolution, but like, how after evolution the x Pokemon managed to dodge every moves that came from y and 1HKO'd it with a *move* is something I REALLY hate. Make it believable. That's all.

So i'm 50-50 about it. If it's handled well, then yes. If it's not, then it'll probably be the negative highlight of the episode for me.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Like Pokemon A evolved mid-battle and gets an instant Max Potion.
    I dunno. Their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I dunno. Their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.
    As in the games, pokemon receives hp gain after levelling up i.e time of evo. It could be like it, probably.
    My fav pokemons:

The guardian of the sea will rise to quell the fight between the legendary titans and bring back peace to world!

As in the games, pokemon receives hp gain after levelling up i.e time of evo. It could be like it, probably.
    Right, except in the games, it's based on the maximum hp (I think) so at most you would gain 3~4, or 5~6 hp per level if you're a Blissey. I find it to be annoying that they're nearly near fainting and BOOM! Evolution, Max Potion saves the day! That's the (personally) most horribly way to evolve and I wished that the writers can handle certain evolutions better.

:3

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Hmmm Dats right. They just shouldnt boost them up to full hp...

Also it could be like the pokemon gets powerful (mentally) and focuses its new power and uses it. Probably coz thee anime mostly follows pokemon feelings rather than the physical power like in the games..

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Right, except in the games, it's based on the maximum hp (I think) so at most you would gain 3~4, or 5~6 hp per level if you're a Blissey. I find it to be annoying that they're nearly near fainting and BOOM! Evolution, Max Potion saves the day! That's the (personally) most horribly way to evolve and I wished that the writers can handle certain evolutions better.

:3
    I'm just saying that the Anime doesn't adhere to game mechanics so some power restored and wounds healed in evolution wouldn't be too far-fetched. I do agree that they can be annoying when this trope is used too often in ridiculous ways.

Is it just me or has it happened a lot in BW. I don't really remember it happening prior to BW. Well at least gym battles. I know Monferno and Turtwig did fighting Paul and Totdile did in the Johto/Sinnoh arc

Well, considering the alternative is for evolutions to either happen in otherwise filler episodes against Team Rocket or totally by random with little to no relation to the plot. I personally prefer for them to evolve after winning a round rather than as a deus ex machina against the last opponent, but if we're going to get evolutions it's only right they happen when it counts. I'd also prefer a bit more set-up, as I like it when there's a bit of foreshadowing for an evolution such as a new move or a change in attitude prior to the growth.

Can you say Deus Ex Machina?
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Can you say Deus Ex Machina?
    Whts that?
    My fav pokemons:

The guardian of the sea will rise to quell the fight between the legendary titans and bring back peace to world!

Deus ex Machina (ˈdāəs eks ˈmäkənə - God from the Machine)
    Noun
    An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.

These are also typically frowned upon and seen as massive cop-outs... which truth be told they are.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 24th February 2013 at 11:19 AM.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Deus ex Machina (ˈdāəs eks ˈmäkənə - God from the Machine)
    Noun
    An unexpected power or event saving a hopeless situation, esp. as a plot device in a play or novel.

These are also typically frowned upon and seen as massive cop-outs... which truth be told they are.
    Oh ok... dats right...
    My fav pokemons:

They just shouldnt make them extravagantly fast and powerful. Till a lil extent its k. But as I stated before, lil children are tend to think that evo gives infinite power atleast for dat moment. Like in dbz goku is dying then suddenly he turns into ss and d foes become helpless. Similarly dey think of pokémon...
    Last edited by Champbybirth; 24th February 2013 at 11:46 AM.

It's ok but I prefer after battle evolutions. This would be funny although it shouldn't happen. A stone evolution Pokemon (e.g Eevee) is about to lose a battle, before a trainer throws a stone at it to evolve it and it ends up winning!

well it definitely is unique to the anime, and it's sorta cool.
    I'm sorta back
    While I'd always love to talk about anything pokemon, I will only be using the 6th gen Wifi section for a while out of efficiency in my life, unfortunately

PLEASE NOTE: My one and only 3DS friend code is now 0576 3520 6954, it used to be 0688 5572 5678 but I no longer have that DS, delete that old code if you already have it!
    thought X/Y were amazing, but the widely revolutionary ORAS makes X/Y look like, well, I guess the original Ruby/Sapphire (which were still awesome) ha ha. in early middle of story line, w/ no choice but to progress fairly slowly. if anyone wants to battle or register me (be sure to tell me iso I can get yours) feel free to!

AS: Grovyle, Metang, Swellow, Skitty, Corphish, and "Pikabest"

I agree that it's cheesy, cliché, and rather convenient, but depending on the battle, I think it's neat that the Pokémon evolves in the middle of it, because it's like a way of proving they're becoming a man "growing up" by doing such an arduous task, and enduring through it. Now do I think it's stupid that they seem to have gotten healed or whatever after taking a beating, yeah. It'd honestly make more sense that the Pokémon evolves and keeps its injuries, so the rush of new-found energy/strength/adrenaline takes over, and the battle continues.

Unless that's exactly what happens... though I haven't really seen any new episodes from Battle Frontier onwards, I just know this has been the norm. What I haven't seen is the newly-evolved Pokémon winning the battle, but then fainting as well from over-exhaustion. That I feel gives it a rather realistic approach.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

My thoughts:

That's pretty cool I have to admit, it would be nice to implement this feature in X and Y. If your Pokemon levels up in battle and reaches the evolution requirement, it should evolve mid-battle.

Help these dragons live, click on them.

Quote Originally Posted by remybutton View Post
    That's pretty cool I have to admit, it would be nice to implement this feature in X and Y. If your Pokemon levels up in battle and reaches the evolution requirement, it should evolve mid-battle.
    Ya jst waiting 4 those games
    My fav pokemons:

Hopefully it will be added to X/Y!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7437 View Post
    Hopefully it will be added to X/Y!
    Hope so...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast