Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on mid battle evolutions

Always found it strange in the games how a Pokemon will wait until the end before evolving, and I quite like it in the anime. Few more of Ash's Pokemon could do with evolving!

Thats a big question. How can a pokemon control its evo while in a battle...
    My fav pokemons:

The guardian of the sea will rise to quell the fight between the legendary titans and bring back peace to world!

I think they go to that well a bit too often. When a character is decisively losing a battle, gets the evolution, then the pokemon is fully rejuvenated and wins the match, it makes the trainer look lucky rather than good.

I'm not against it, but it should be used sparingly. It's never a substitute for a regular hard fought victory.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Well I don't mind it if it's like with chimchar where it evolves for a good reason in the middle of the battle but doesn't end up sweeping the rest of Pauls team.
    But when it's like riolu losing and at the last second "POOF" lucario and of course sweeps Ashs team as if the Hydreigon wasn't enough.
    My point is the writers can easily make any pokemon win any battle without the need for evolution, they probably just can't thing of better ways to evolve them like seen with Swadloon to Leavanny.
    It evolved at a random moment of no significance.
    Any way it doesn't matter if pokemon win because of evolving because the writers obviously wanted that pokemon to win and could/would have made it do so some other way if not for evolution.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

50% of Serebii users are relapsing pokemon fans...if you are among those that never got off the band wagon...copy and paste this in your sig (started by CyberBlastoise)...

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Right, except in the games, it's based on the maximum hp (I think) so at most you would gain 3~4, or 5~6 hp per level if you're a Blissey. I find it to be annoying that they're nearly near fainting and BOOM! Evolution, Max Potion saves the day! That's the (personally) most horribly way to evolve and I wished that the writers can handle certain evolutions better.

:3
    You know in the game the reason you gain health web you level up is to stop you from taking damage. So If you already took say 15 damage and you are at 3 hp when you level up and gain 2 max hp your actual hp goes up to 5 so you still only took 15 damage

Spoiler:- PASBL:
        Spoiler:- PASBL:

Its cool when they evolve mid battle (like chimchar evolved against the battle against Paul)

But i don't like when they do this cheesy "NO! PLEASE GET UP! DON'T DIE! YOU CAN DO IT!" routine (they only ever did it once or twice, but i sure hope they don't do it again)
    Happiny is awesome

Bands and artists I like at the moment:
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Boards Of Canada
    The Beatles
    Bjork
    Aphex Twin
    Nine Inch Nails
    Vampire Weekend
    Lady Gaga
    Gorillaz
    Brian Eno
    Coldplay

I think mid battle evolutions is overused, and that evolutions should mostly happen after a hard earned victory like when Ash's Charmander evolved into Charmeleon.

I think that in the Pokemon TV show it happens a little too much, but I do like it overall. It shows that the Pokemon do have emotions and can control the time of their evolution, even though in the games they really are just a bunch of pixels that can't do that. I think that it would be interesting in the games, but it would only be able to happen when you're Pokemon is just a few XP away from evolving anyway.

I honestly couldn't care less, about the "bad writing" implications of a Pokemon evolving mid battle and winning as a result.

But I do think that for some part of what the anime does should be included into the games.

It never made any sense whatsoever that a Pokemon evolved only right after the battle ends.

I'm not saying that a Pokemon should evolve whenever in the games, just when it reaches the right circumstances.

Such as leveling up.

After defeating a Pokemon and leveling up, there should be a pause allowing your Pokemon to evolve.

Seriously because a Pokemon can level up many times during a battle, 5 being the likely normal amount (1 level for each Pokemon, excluding the 6th one since that would be the end of the battle).

How does it make any sense for a Pokemon to reach it's evolution level, and yet level up 4 more times until it can finally evolve.

And to a lesser extent, I hate how how you have to level up to initiate evolution (what I mean is a Pokemon evolves at level 20, it's at level 21, and hasn't evolved yet, you have to wait until level 22 before it evolves, or 23, 24, 25, 26, etc, etc). I hate that because any unevolved level 100 Pokemon can never evolve.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Honestly, i like it when pokemon evolve mid battle. Yes it's very cheesy and overused but i think it's a great idea and i don't know why they haven't implemented this into the games yet.

"We live to make the impossible possible."

though it makes more sense evolution midbattle instead of after the battle I still think that they are overusing it a bit in Ash favor, even if I didn't like Cameron to win against Ash I love that the mid battle evolution thing work against Ash

Be polite, Be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I've been thinking about something. When a Pokemon evolves, it already has to rebuild it's body. Why wouldn't it repair it's body in the process? As such, a Pokemon that evoles in the midst of a battle should get a boost.

As a writing element, mid-battle evolutions are fine, as long as they're not overused.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Mid-battle evolutions are just tacky since they almost always work in favor of a main character (Ash is the biggest example. Like literally a third of his battles have been won because of a convenient, mid-battle evolution). It's just another form of deus ex machina, which this anime seems to have a lot of. It's just bad writing for the most part in my opinion.

I do like mid-battle evolution's when they serve a purpose, which isn't often. I wouldn't say I in any way dislike them, though.
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike

sneaky devious and i am indifferent about it now put it into the games and watch as every pulls their own hairs out every time they are about to win a match when all of sudden their opponents gabite go all garchomp and eats there team....it would be hilarious to watch wouldnt be fun to have happen to yourself but funny watching it happen to someone else.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    Mid-battle evolutions are just tacky since they almost always work in favor of a main character (Ash is the biggest example. Like literally a third of his battles have been won because of a convenient, mid-battle evolution). It's just another form of deus ex machina, which this anime seems to have a lot of. It's just bad writing for the most part in my opinion.
    A third? I only remember 3 mid-battle evolutions in the Indigo saga, and one of those was Sabrina's Abra. Have the writers really gotten that lazy?
    Last edited by pacman000; 6th March 2013 at 8:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    A third? I only remember 3 mid-battle evolutions in the first two seasons, and one of those was Sabrina's Abra. Have the writers really gotten that lazy?
    Skyla
    Clay
    I think burgh but i forgot.

It's an interesting thing when it does happen, really. Sure it's convenient to the point of being ridiculous with the whole seemingly "fully healed" newly-evolved Pokemon going on to win the battle, but it does spice things up. I can't say I dislike it, but it could be a tad more realistic...

And it would be rather neat if it could happen in the games too, on that note.

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

it'd be interesting if that could happen in the games, but not likely to. it'd also be nice if the mid-battle evos didn't always seem to happen during gym battles. it cheapens the win for Ash even if he doesn't see it or the writers for that matter.

i dont care, i just wish they would stop happening in gym battles

I like mid battle evolutions. It is better than evolving to blast off Team Rocket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12