Thread: Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Default Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Hello and welcome to my latest RMT! I think this one has the weirdest title yet, and I've had some really strange titles... It's not MonoBug though, it's a UU team based around a very dangerous dragonfly....

Spoiler:- The process:

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Tinted Lens
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Sleep Talk
    - U-Turn

The idea for this Yanmega actually came to me when I rated a team a while back. The team in question ran Speed Boost Yanmega without Protect. The person who made the team said this was because everyone expected Protect and running it thus seemed like a waste of a moveslot. This made me wonder how I could abuse that, and my answer was simple. Yanmega was gifted with a great ability in Speed Boost. Speed Boost turns it into a very scary sweeper within a turn or two that can outpace quite literally anything you will see in UU except itself. Some people find themselves facing it, though, and forget that Speed Boost is not the only dangerous ability Yanmega has. That's the idea behind this set. Tinted Lens effectively removes the need for coverage beyond Yanmega's STABs. There is not one Pokemon in existence that resists Tinted Lens Yanmega's STAB combination. For that, it would require Double Steel, which does not exist. You've heard of "BRAVE BIRD EVERYTHING!!!", I'm guessing? The strategy here is pretty much "BUG BUZZ EVERYTHING!!!". Unless I'm facing something that quadruply-resists Bug, in which case I break out Air Slash. U-Turn may seem extremely out-of-place on a set that not only runs Specs, but an Atk-reducing nature besides, but it allows Yanmega to scout the switch-in if they mislead and also to bluff a Scarf set. Finally, Sleep Talk was originally Giga Drain which was sorta helpful for Swamperts and occasional recovery, but much more often I'd just BUG BUZZ EVERYTHING!!! So I took silverangel's suggestion here and wen't for Sleep Talk. It has the benefit of turning Yanmega into a nice Sleep absorber for Roserade and Amoongus's Sleep Powder and Spore, while also giving me a nice status blocker.

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
    - Rapid Spin
    - Bulk Up
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

This is another idea that came from somewhere else. Or, was inspired by an outside source, I guess is a bit more accurate. I watch a lot of TheFlamingSpade's videos on Youtube, and in one of his UU matches he found himself completely confused by his opponent's Hitmontop. It started out by Bulking Up, at which point he decided it couldn't possibly be a Spinner set because, come on, who actually uses Bulk Up and Rapid Spin on the same set? As I recall, the match proceeded with him switching his Chandelure (I think? My memory of this one is hazy) out, fearing Stone Edge, only to have his opponent successfully get the Spin off. That may not be accurate though, don't quote me (why do I have a feeling that "don't quote me" is going to get quoted....?). That particular Hitmontop also ran RestoChesto, but all that on the same set is too gimmicky even for me. And it leaves me with only CC, meaning Ghosts will have a field day. Anyway, Spade did proceed to win the match nicely, but the idea for a Bulk-Up Rapid Spin Hitmontop was forever planted in my head. I don't know how it stacks up against the other Rapid Spin variants, but I like it personally. It gives Hitmontop some presence besides just Spinning. I used to run this at 252 Def, but after testing out some different spreads I had the most success with this one. Anyway, Rapid Spin is obvious Yanmega support, Bulk Up is for the aforementioned bluff and presence, Stone Edge swats down opposing Chandelure, Zapdos, Yanmega and a fair bit else and Close Combat is my STAB move, mainly for use against Snorlax.

Swampert @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Roar

This is a fairly standard bulky offensive Swampert. It carries Roar over Stealth Rock for two reasons: 1. Phazing is very, very nice to have. And 2. Registeel's got my Rocks. Roar and Rocks go nicely together too. As far as the set goes, there isn't much to explain on this one. Leftovers are there for recovery. 240 HP hits a Stealth Rock number at 401, so I can switch in 9 times instead of 8. Not a huge deal though, since nothing switches into Stealth Rock 9 times, especially when there's a spinner on board. It also means I can take 5 Seismic Tosses before being KOed, which is substantially more useful. Max HP accomplishes this too, but loses out on the Rocks benefit as half is rounded up. Waterfall is my primary STAB move. Earthquake deals with Raikou. Ice Punch deals with Zapdos. Roar's already been mentioned.

Registeel @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Seismic Toss
    - Shadow Claw

Another fairly standard set here, Registeel is my Special tank and Rocks setter. Thunder Wave is here to cripple things, while Stealth Rock helps out all my attackers and deters opposing Yanmega, Zapdos, Darmanitan, Chandelure, etc. Seismic Toss is reliable damage because Registeel's a bit of a pansy offensively. It can wall all day, but offensively.... Not so much. Shadow Claw is used over Earthquake because while I miss out on Darmanitan and Chandelure switches, neither appreciates a T-Wave if I already have my Rocks up or, if I don't I can use that turn to get them. Shadow Claw hits Ghosts like Mismagius and still hurts Chandelure fine.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heat Wave
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Roost

Zapdos adds some more offensive power to the team. I chose it for two reasons: Its great offfensive potential and its immunity to Ground. Using Raikou would have given me a 3/2 Ground weakness when all was said and done. As it is, the team has no negative type weaknesses, with the worst being 3/3 to Rock. This is a perfect example of how useful the Marriland Teambuilder can be - it shows you this stuff as you make the team. Thunderbolt gets STAB, making it my strongest attack. Heat Wave deals with Grass-types that threaten Swampert and also hurts Steels like Bisharp. HP Grass is for opposing Swampert, which would be quite problematic otherwise. Roost is here for shedding a few weaknesses, like Ice and Rock, and healing off LO recovery and just keeping Zapdos around longer in general.

Arcanine @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch

Arcanine is here because between the other 5 members I had a slight weakness to Fire and Ice. As it happens, Arcanine can deal with both nicely. I originally had a Life Orb set here but as silverangel and justinjianghu pointed out that left me with a few problems. As the team did lack a revenge-killer, I took their suggestion and switched to Scarf Arcanine. Which has been absolutely great. Flare Blitz gets STAB and possibly a Flash Fire boost. It's what I use most often. Wild Charge hits Flying and Water-types, which is its main role here. Close Combat destroys Porygon2, one of the bigger problems with LO Arcanine (the choice between that and Crunch leaves it walled by either Porygon2 or Chandelure) and really hurts Snorlax too. Crunch is here for Chandelure primarily, but I also found it very nice for the occasional Xatu, to remove their Bouncer.

Anyway, that's my team! It's only my second UU team, and I'd imagine there's a fair bit of work to be done here. Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Last edited by loco1234; 26th February 2013 at 4:51 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Well, as Yanmega really needs Rapid Spin support, I actually like Hitmontop. Be careful, though, as I think it loses to certain pokemon. This is because for a fact, I know that Drifblim, however uncommon (I use one, actually), can beat out just every Hitmontop there is. Here are calculations:

252+ Drifblim's Acrobatics on Hitmontop (flying gem and intimidate)- 149-175 damage. 49-57%.
    Followed by another Acrobatics (no flying Gem, but with intimidate drop)- 101-119 damage. 33-39%.
    So even with an Intimidate drop, Drifblim can do nasty damage to Hitmontop, even if it isn't a 2HKO (2HKO with Stealth Rock and one layer of spikes, though. Beware, as UU is filled with them thanks to Froslass).

Let's see what happens if the blimp didn't have a drop.....
    Same Drifblim against your Hitmontop (Flying Gem Acrobatics)- 220-259 damage. 72-85%
    Second shot- 148-174 damage. 48-57%
    If Drifblim switches in, you're screwed if you didn't decide to use Stone Miss. It's a guaranteed 2HKO. On the other hand...

Your Hitmontop's Stone Edge on 0/0 Drifblim- 180-212 damage. 40-48%. Guaranteed 3HKO without hazards. Sucks, especially when you're using Stone Miss.

Yeah, Drifblim isn't a common threat, but watch out, because this thing can screw up Rapid Spinners (*cough*destiny bond*cough*). You can Bulk Up, but it also runs Will-o-Wisp. It can KO Hitmontop, then continue to take down another pokemon with Destiny Bond.

I'll put up a team rate later on. Hope this helps.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

I like this UU team, but Flygon seems pretty nasty, too. It crushes Registeel and Arcanine with STAB Earthquake, and with 'Top gone, it can sweep the rest of your team with outrage...so I suggest Weavile to revenge kill Flygons.

Weavile@Life Orb
    EVS: 252 Atk; 252 Spd; 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Trait: Pressure
    -Ice Shard
    -Ice Punch
    -Low Kick
    -Night Slash

The standard LO set. Ice Shard to revenge kill Flygon, Night Slash/Ice Punch are dual STABS, and Low Kick destroys Snorlax.
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 23rd February 2013 at 7:47 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Alright now, direct team rate. Here I usually just ignore outside threats and examine your individual pokemon.

Yanmega- you probably won't need Giga Drain, as Bug Buzz and Air Slash give you all the coverage you need. I recommend Sleep Talk over Giga Drain, as Yanmega is usually a late-game sweeper, you can afford to have this guy take a nap at the beginning of the match. It also lets you have a pokemon to take Spores and Sleep Powder from Amoonguss and Roserade, respectively.

Hitmontop- as I said before, be careful, because Drifblim will always outspeed you and can nail you with some powerful Acrobatics. On the other hand, I've seen Swords Dance and Rapid Spin on a Sandslash, so Bulk Up and Rapid Spin on Hitmontop won't surprise me. The set is okay, anyways. Careful of Nidoqueen and Golurk, as both can wall you, and Golurk and wall and spinblock you.

Swampert- this guy is your only answer to Flygon, I think. Can it take an Choice Banded Outrage? I'm not sure, someone will have to do the calculations for me. I recommend Justin's Weavile set here.

Registeel- good. If you do switch Swampert for Weavile I would recommend Cobalion over Registeel here, as Cobalion can also phaze and set rocks. This is the set I'd use:

Cobalion @Leftovers
    Ability- Justified
    Jolly Nature. 248 HP, 28 def, 232 spd
    Stealth Rock
    Sacred Sword/Close Combat
    Volt Switch
    Roar

You can change his EVs if you like, but this set has decent attacking power, phazing, and hazards for you to use!

Zapdos- good

Arcanine- good, but here you have a lose-lose situation. Most Porygon2 do not run Download, they run Trace. That means they have a fire immunity when they switch into you. They can also tank your other moves. If you run Close Combat over Crunch, you lose out on Flash Fire Chandelure, who otherwise walls you. Either way, just be careful who switches into you (Download is terrible on Porygon2 anyways, I'd rather run Analytic).

I hope this helps.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

I shall do calcs for Flygon.
    252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 240 HP / 16 Def Swampert: 262-310 (65.33 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    So, even though it doesnt KO and Swampert's Ice Punch OHKOes, CB Outrage still takes a nice, big bite out of Swampert's health. With U-Turning and hazards, Swampert would easily be lowered into Outrage's KO range.
    So, its your decision on whether to use Weavile or Swampert. And putting some more EVS into SpDef more Hitmontop sounds like a good idea.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

I agree with SilverAngel that Arcanine needs Close Combat, also to hurt Snorlax more than Flare Blitz can do. Because now youre walled by Chandelure, I recommend changing to a scarf set.
    Jolly Arcanine @ CScarf
    Flash Fire
    Max Atk and Speed, 4 something
    -Flare Blitz
    -Wild Charge/ESpeed
    -Close Combat
    -Crunch

ESpeed isnt really necessary but can be useful for revenge killing other scarfers.

I really like your team
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    Eon Ticket distributed on December 6th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Groningen, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Breda, Amsterdam and Utrecht
    And then via StreetPass!

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Well, I have some stuff to test, it seems! Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I expect to be able to update the OP tomorrow after school. Been busy with college logistics.
    Last edited by loco1234; 25th February 2013 at 1:41 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

All the rates above are 100% accurate, but I would recommend just one tweak:

Iron Head > Shadow Claw on Regi, Stab makes it 120 and also can flinch. Not like it will be faster, but is tons better that Shadow Claw.

A little Off-Topic about Chandelure: It can wall almost all Blaziken's BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan7437 View Post
    All the rates above are 100% accurate, but I would recommend just one tweak:

Iron Head > Shadow Claw on Regi, Stab makes it 120 and also can flinch. Not like it will be faster, but is tons better that Shadow Claw.

A little Off-Topic about Chandelure: It can wall almost all Blaziken's BTW.
    Only one problem: Chandelure utterly walls it if it runs Iron Head, at least with Shadow Claw it can do more damage if Chandy switches in (this is besides the fact that Registeel is slower than most everything and likely won't be flinching anything that actually has a speed stat). And please stay on topic, the afterward is utterly irrelevant to both the thread and the tier the team is in.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

^ 1. They were talking about him.
    2. It does say off-topic

And he can just switch again, you don't need one move for one Pokemon.

If Registeel does have to switch out, Chandelure essentially has it's free attack of whatever it wants. At least having Shadow Claw makes Chandelure wary about switching in.
    For trade:

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Updated. I switched up Top's EVs and changed Arcanine to a Scarf set. That's been awesome, thanks guys!

As far as Weavile goes, I did try it and it was very nice for Flygon but it added a few problematic weaknesses as well. I found I did a bit better with Swampert. Still, the suggestion was appreciated!