Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Running out of "Steam"?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default Running out of "Steam"?

    Hi, I have a question:

    Did anyone notice that the 4th Gen forums are becomming less and less active?
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Yes, it's slowed down since I remember it. But then I am talking about it back in 2007 when Diamond and Pearl Launched, when the staff here at the time actually had to start limiting access to actually make the forums useable. Yes, we had that many people hitting it pages took a few minutes to load.

    I've deleted your post partly as you were replying to spam, secondly we don't allow people to reserve posts, as we consider it spam.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr


    MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

    3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Yes, it's slowed down since I remember it. But then I am talking about it back in 2007 when Diamond and Pearl Launched, when the staff here at the time actually had to start limiting access to actually make the forums useable. Yes, we had that many people hitting it pages took a few minutes to load.

    I've deleted your post partly as you were replying to spam, secondly we don't allow people to reserve posts, as we consider it spam.
    yeah i was responding to some guy so thought i might aswel change it, do you know how active the trade forums / RTM forums are because no one is responding like ever ;/
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    51

    Default

    It's really sad since I just started to really get into the 4th gen just last year and Heart Gold is my favorite game now, period!

    Seems like everyone is into the 5th and 6th gen parts of the forums now, those are crowded...
    Currently Playing

    FireRed

    Gold

    Ruby

    Platinum

    Black


    "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." (Karen of the Elite 4)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwizmaster View Post
    It's really sad since I just started to really get into the 4th gen just last year and Heart Gold is my favorite game now, period!

    Seems like everyone is into the 5th and 6th gen parts of the forums now, those are crowded...
    I know, Diamond is my favorite, I absolutely HATE Gen 5 just because the pokemon look so childish ;/
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    I absolutely HATE Gen 5 just because the pokemon look so childish ;/
    That's a terrible reason to hate gen 5 because Pokémon in ALL generation look childish, since it's a children's game they were designed to looks childish on purpose.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    I know, Diamond is my favorite, I absolutely HATE Gen 5 just because the pokemon look so childish ;/
    I boycotted the fifth generation because I was tired of the fact there was new Pokémon, and that I hated the designs. But now that I've played it, I've warmed up to the games, and I'm mentally kicking myself for the boycott.

    Anyway, I have noticed the fourth generation forums are slow (and I finally got Diamond like a few months ago myself), but so are the third, second and first generation forums. I wouldn't say they ran out of steam, it's just that more people are focusing on BW/BW2 and now X/Y, so a lot of the activity moved to those forums. Chances are they'll slow down in the future as well. It's a common occurrence, so I don't see how anyone would be so surprised over this.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    That's a terrible reason to hate gen 5 because Pokémon in ALL generation look childish, since it's a children's game they were designed to looks childish on purpose.
    no reason is terrible, it's MY reason and MY OPINION, seriously i despise Gen 5 because they look TOO childish.

    P.S i'm not surprised i just wanted to know why there's only like 25% of activity there was 3months ago
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  9. #9

    Default

    It can be your opinion all you want. I believe the point was that it's an opinion that comes off as poorly formed and unsupportable, which most anything along the lines of "this Pokémon looks too [negative adjective]!!!" is.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    if i think it's too childish grow up & stop bashing me for having a "poorly formed and supportable" opinion seriously "Too childish" is just fine /facepalm
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,464

    Default

    There's nothing wrong with thinking the designs are too childish, but you have to back up your reasons for why you think they look childish. Otherwise, it's a moot point, in which case your argument needs more steam behind it. Especially because I personally can't see how they look childish at all, they look more realistic in their designs to me. Meanwhile, the Sinnoh Pokémon look more childish in comparison, as do the previous generations. So I think they were going for a different style in B/W than they did in the previous games, which I feel was a good move on their part.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Gen 4 is less active because it's not the new game anymore. Hasn't been for years. Just like Gen 1, 2, and 3. And by the end of this year gen 5 will be in the same position. There's nothing new about gen 4 and sadly like the other 3 generations before it, it will get less and less people coming in. Maybe when a gen 4 remake comes out many years from now we'll see some gen 4 life again.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    if i think it's too childish grow up & stop bashing me for having a "poorly formed and supportable" opinion seriously "Too childish" is just fine /facepalm
    You can say that you think Gen 5 is too childish but then by doing that you are then ignoring three simple fact.

    1. Gen 1-4 also had Pokémon that look childish. Why aren't you hating on them?

    2. Pokémon is a children game, ergo it's target market is young children thus the Pokémon are purposely design to appeal to children.

    3. Opinion aren't immune from criticism and if they are poorly argued, like yours, then they expose the glaring flaws in your argument.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    9,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Gen 4 is less active because it's not the new game anymore. Hasn't been for years. Just like Gen 1, 2, and 3. And by the end of this year gen 5 will be in the same position. There's nothing new about gen 4 and sadly like the other 3 generations before it, it will get less and less people coming in. Maybe when a gen 4 remake comes out many years from now we'll see some gen 4 life again.
    This. All the action is over at the XY forum (and a bit at the BW2 forum).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    You can say that you think Gen 5 is too childish but then by doing that you are then ignoring three simple fact.

    1. Gen 1-4 also had Pokémon that look childish. Why aren't you hating on them?

    2. Pokémon is a children game, ergo it's target market is young children thus the Pokémon are purposely design to appeal to children.

    3. Opinion aren't immune from criticism and if they are poorly argued, like yours, then they expose the glaring flaws in your argument.
    well then let me explain them: I think they're poorly made and that only the kids who play pokemon can't see that some pokemon idea's are very over used.
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    I think they're poorly made
    Still without an explanation as to why you feel this is. Restating your position does not constitute support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    and that only the kids who play pokemon can't see that some pokemon idea's are very over used.
    Untrue and borderline nonsensical argument. Ideas aren't "overused" any more than are the fauna of the world, which might (gasp) see different species of birds/rodents/fish/canines/whatever found in different areas, of similar biological class but different everything else.

    And your original argument was that the designs are "too childish". Now you've switched to "overused!" Which is it?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 28th February 2013 at 8:03 PM.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands GMT+1
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Still without an explanation as to why you feel this is. Restating your position does not constitute support.



    Untrue and borderline nonsensical argument. Ideas aren't "overused" any more than are the fauna of the world, which might (gasp) see different species of birds/rodents/fish/canines/whatever found in different areas, of similar biological class but different everything else.

    And your original argument was that the designs are "too childish". Now you've switched to "overused!" Which is it?
    they use the same idea over & over again for pokemon.. and yes something can be over used but the terms "over used" are different for everybody.

    Also back on topic: Why would everyone stop posting just because new games are out?
    Pokemon for Trade:
    NOTE - CURRENTLY!!! No Internet Acces.

    Lvl. 100 Pokemon: (3x) (3x) (3x) (2x) (2x)

    Legendary Pokemon: (6x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    Shiny Pokemon:

    Pokemon with PKRS:

    Starter Pokemon: (5x) (3x) (2x) (2x) (2x)

    PM me for Items, Pokemon or Service Requests.

    Diamond FC: 1936 8573 1951
    Pokemon Team:

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    they use the same idea over & over again for pokemon
    They don't, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    and yes something can be over used but the terms "over used" are different for everybody.
    And in admitting how subjective it is, how can it possibly be a valid objective flaw?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    Also back on topic: Why would everyone stop posting just because new games are out?
    Because as people migrate to the new games, there's no point to continuing to play the old ones? Particularly as that migration often involves moving Pokémon ahead, a one-way journey that leaves one's older games barren of anything worth battling with.

    In short, there's little reason to continue playing old software when much (most?) of the community activity and all of the official support (events, etc.) have updated with the times.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cirque du Dčcadence
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    But some Gen 5 pokemon look 'mature' enough like Braviary, Heatmor, Golurk, etc.
    Some people still post in older gens sections like myself. Its like trivias/nostalgia for me.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader


        Spoiler:- Credits:

    Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Yes, but there are still the active members who post here, like us!
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Because as people migrate to the new games, there's no point to continuing to play the old ones? Particularly as that migration often involves moving Pokémon ahead, a one-way journey that leaves one's older games barren of anything worth battling with.
    This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Speaking from personal experience, every Pokemon of worth that I've ever caught has been moved to Gen V, since it's the most current and up to date. Nowadays, the only thing I use past gen games for are special runs (Nuzlocke, Monotype, etc.), or if I need another Legendary from that version. But when the bulk of the battling/tournaments are done exclusively for 5th Gen, as are the giveaway events, there's little point in investing too much time into Gen IV or anything prior.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Darkrai View Post
    they use the same idea over & over again for pokemon.. and yes something can be over used but the terms "over used" are different for everybody.

    Also back on topic: Why would everyone stop posting just because new games are out?
    As BCVM22 has stated, people move onto the newer games. These sections are never posted in because peopel rarely play the older games when they have the new ones.
    oopsie

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Derby, UK
    Posts
    77

    Default

    It's odd how everyone plays Gen V because it is the current one, loads will play Gen III for a challenge (Scramble, Nuzlocke etc.) which squeezes out Gen IV leaving it alone and empty
    In possession of a wand made of Dogwood. 13 inches long with a dragon heart-string core. Very supple. Sorted into Gryffindor

    Heartgold FC: 3224 8200 8836
    White FC: 1592 4903 1670

        Spoiler:- Pokedexs:


        Spoiler:- Claims:

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon35 View Post
    It's odd how everyone plays Gen V because it is the current one, loads will play Gen III for a challenge (Scramble, Nuzlocke etc.) which squeezes out Gen IV leaving it alone and empty
    Meh, I find Gen III a little overrated to be honest. I personally prefer Gen IV for its superior balance (more types have usable moves, the physical/special distinction), so Heart Gold and Platinum make for good special runs imo.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •