Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #113

Default Archeoptricks

I used one of these on my Black team esp in doubles, and it served me well!

Archeoptricks

Jolly Attack 252, Speed 252, hp 4
    Flying Gem

Acrobatics
    Rock Slide
    Crunch/Heat Wave
    U-turn

Acrobatics and Rock Slide are your main attacks, the flinch for rock slide works surprisingly well (heavy flinch team). Dragon Claw just doesn't really pack damage. I used Crunch in B1, but in B2/W2 Heat wave is a better choice. The last move is U-turn, you can remove the damaged bird and replace it with something like Ferrothorn (my choice) plus Archeops is fast enough to stay back and revenge kill, even with defeatist.

Sitrus Berry is another good item for Archeops as it can do more for it than just item fodder for the Item Clause. The only catch is that the berry is only any good if Archeops is at 21% Max HP or more when it activates. A lucky Archeops might survive what would be a OHKO and not get dealt a bad hand with Sitrus Berry, allowing it to come back and deal just as much damage in return.

Concerning healing in general, Archeops will be very dependent on Wish Passers no matter what tier it's in. Let's talk about this for a second.

Vaporeon and Alomomola are great candidates for Archeops, passing huge Wishes while offering it some resistances. Only problem is that they share an Electric weakness. Vaporeon has a slight advantage with Baton Pass, though, as it is slower and can pass huge Subs too, said Subs can shield it from fatal Electric attacks as well.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Murder Heavangelon View Post
    Sitrus Berry is another good item for Archeops as it can do more for it than just item fodder for the Item Clause. The only catch is that the berry is only any good if Archeops is at 21% Max HP or more when it activates. A lucky Archeops might survive what would be a OHKO and not get dealt a bad hand with Sitrus Berry, allowing it to come back and deal just as much damage in return.

Concerning healing in general, Archeops will be very dependent on Wish Passers no matter what tier it's in. Let's talk about this for a second.

Vaporeon and Alomomola are great candidates for Archeops, passing huge Wishes while offering it some resistances. Only problem is that they share an Electric weakness. Vaporeon has a slight advantage with Baton Pass, though, as it is slower and can pass huge Subs too, said Subs can shield it from fatal Electric attacks as well.

Anyone else?
    Baton Pass isn't just a slight advantage, it's a huge one. Archeops can't take a hit swapping in, especially if it's at low health. Rather it's getting a sub or not, baton pass enables Archeops to come in after the opponent makes their move.

Ryan's PokAnalysis
    Archeops is a pain train. 140 base Attack alongside 110 base Speed makes the ancestral bird an extremely powerful sweeper and theoretically dwarfs the power of many typical physical attackers like Aerodactyl, Machamp and even Scizor, in addition to being capable of being a swish special attacker like its fellow fossils, Rampardos and Omastar. That and it gets STAB Stone Edge and Acrobatics, which makes it extremely powerful. It looked like there was going to be a Rock-type sweeper that would be in Standard play to stay. It didn't stay for long, though. Defeatist is the reason for that - it gets its offensive stats halved whenever its health drops into the orange, which almost completely shuts it down. On top of that, it has terrible defenses. Sure, its Speed helps alleviate that problem, but then you remember that it's weak to Aqua Jet, Ice Shard and Bullet Punch in addition to taking a hefty amount from other priority moves. On top of its bad defenses, this sucks. However, it still makes a great sweeper as long as its counters are gone.

Abilities
    Defeatist: Archeops gets this "curse" to deal with, and it sort of balances out its stats. Hey, at least it didn't get Truant!

Moveset time. Doing a couple of renditions of my own.

Oppa Gen'sect Style
    - Rock Slide / Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - U-turn
    Item Attached: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Defeatist
    EVs and Nature:
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Running a set like this on a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock sounds crazy, but it can be an absolute monster. It's based on the standard scarf Genesect set, but is all physical and meant to deal out the pain. Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge due to higher PP, better accuracy, and chance of inducing flinching, but if you really want power, it's there. Earthquake meshes very well with Rock Slide a d can sink even Aggron before it can Head Smash you six feet into the ground. Outrage is a godsend from the move tutors and hits whatever Earthquake can't - hard. U-turn is the main move on the set, dealing sizeable damage and getting Archeops out. Adamant Nature gives Archeops huge Attack while keeping the jump on positive-natured base 95 Speed fellas like Jynx and Leafeon.

Martial Archeops
    - Acrobatics
    - Head Smash
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    Item Attached: Flying Gem
    Ability: Defeatist
    EVs and Nature
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

One of the most powerful one-two punches in Pokemon is the Acrobatics - Head Smash duo that Archeops wields. Acrobatics boosted by Flying Gem allows Archeops to OHKO at will, but make sure it counts. Same goes with Head Smash - it hits like a truck, but make sure it counts as the recoil often put Archeops into Defeatist range. Earthquake gets anything that might stop that combination, such as Klinklang, and U-turn scouts with that 350 Speed.

Other Options for Archeops
    There are a LOT. Where do I start? Agility / Rock Polish, Aqua Tail, Bounce, Crunch, Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, Focus Blast, Heat Wave, Hone Claws, Iron Defense, Knock Off, Protect, Quick Guard, Return, Roost, Stealth Rock, Tailwind, Taunt.
    Speed-boosting moves can be used with an Adamant nature to teach a lesson to Scarfed Pokemon, but you'll likely be under 50% before it can truly take advantage of it.
    Aqua Tail provides extra coverage in a rather unreliable but effective move.
    Bounce is mostly mind games, forcing the opponent to bring out a resist that could be crippled either by paralysis or the ensuing Earthquake. 85 accuracy sucks, though.
    Crunch wrecks Uxie, Dusknoir and other Pokemon of that neighborhood who can stop Archeops's sweep with status almost effortlessly.
    Dragon Claw is a weaker, more reliable Outrage alternative, but Outrage is generally better for the role that Archeops fills.
    Dragon Pulse goes well with Earth Power on a Special set.
    Earth Power can put that 112 base Special Attack to good use as a surprise tactic on physical sets, seeing as most Steel-types have lower Special Defense than Defense.
    Focus Blast obliterates certain Pokemon, like Earth Power, but its accuracy is deplorable and should never see use except on special sets.
    Heat Wave demolishes Ferroseed/Steelix (Ferrothorn/Skarmory in standard), who would otherwise wall physical sets to hell and back.
    Hone Claws makes it hit like a truck, especially with Stone Edge, but you're gonna have to be lucky to get a chance to use it safely.
    Iron Defense buys Archeops more time with Physical attackers (also useful as most priority attacks are physical), but you're giving your opponent time to bring in a Special attacker to take the bird down.
    Knock Off helps take down a Pokemon that relies on its item, it can be quite effective thanks to that Speed.
    Protect scouts your opponent, as most of the time the sight of Archeops forces the opponent to attack right away.
    Quick Guard gets a mention for Double / Triple Battles, as Archeops is horrifyingly weak to most of them.
    Return is just another big-power move Archeops can pack in its arsenal. It's worth at least a look.
    Roost can save you by bringing Archeops out of Defeatist range. Just be careful of when you use it.
    Stealth Rock is usable on a lead set to get them out as soon as possible and thus make the most of them.
    Tailwind is cool on a suicide lead perhaps for a Pokemon like Torterra; but Archeops should just outright be assaulting the opponent rather than support its team.
    Taunt stops Pokemon like Uxie from pulling a 'fast' one on you.

Double and Triple Battle Options
    Weak to Rock Slide, Surf, Blizzard and Discharge, while not being able to take other hits too well and being complete dead weight against Trick Room teams, writing off Archeops for Doubles and Triples team slots. And you are right, it wouldn't be the smartest idea, but you've got awesome offenses sitting right there, a OHKO-the-Pokemon-of-your-choice in Flying Gem and Acrobatics, and a whack of spread moves that can hurt the competition good. It can also provide Tailwind support, Taunt the opposition, and even Stealth Rock support if that's your jive. Basically what I'm saying is don't knock it until you give it a whirl.

Partners
    Having a Rapid Spinner and/or cleric on your team is more or less compulsory. Alomomola works well to take common priority attacks like a boss while giving Archeops a huge portion of its HP back with Wish. Aside from that, though, Archeops really needs a ton of support to keep it going due to being one of the worst defensive Pokemon going. That's why it's generally left to late game sweeping.

countering Archeops
    Many priority attacks can end Archeops, especially after Stealth Rocks. Bullet Punch, Ice Shard, and Aqua Jet annihilate it or easily bring it into Defeatist mode. See if you can find something that can wallits attacks. Steelix can take anything Archeops throws at it (with Sturdy helping it in that department) and easily OHKO back with STAB Gyro Ball, but if it came in against Rocks or Spikes, it's dead meat against Earth Power or another Special move. It also gets checked easily by faster Scarfers, as they probably have something faster that can hit Archeops super-effective and thus shut it down before it can take its toll.
    Last edited by rc52; 25th February 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rupsie View Post
    it's only sad that archeops doesn't learn fire blast in any way, so heat wave is the only fire choice that Archeops has in its arsenal
    even if archeops did have fireblast would u rather deal 20 base damage less.... but hit way more often. or just go raw power with a big chance of missing?

a mixed set WITH focus blast can be very viable on a dedicated gravity team. as earthquake/earth power will now hit flying types, and focus blast accuracy becomes 100. if included in a gravity team, a good option could be blissey or bronzong (who can abuse 90-something% sing or a 100% accuracy hypnosis respectively, under gravity). the only real downside would be ground attacks now taking advantage of the now non exsistant ground immunity of a flying type.

graviteops.
    Nature: Naďve/hasty
    Item: life orb/expert belt
    earth power/ earthquake
    stone edge/focus blast (100% acc due to gravity)
    heat wave (again 100%)
    dragon pulse/dragon claw
    ev:252 speed. 128 atk 128 sp.atk
    dragon pulse and earthquake/focus blast hit for atleast neutral damage to every monster thanks to levitate and flying immunity being nullifyed and blasts acc raised. while this doesnt really have any stab moves (except stone edge, which would probly be replaced with focus blast for huge damage (as both give better coverage) this still could deal a huge amount of power. however since no ban/spec/scarf items are viable (if using on a grav team due to the 4 turns), a life orb could be the other suggestion. but if i dont like the idea of archeops geting ven closer to the evil 50% debuff, an expert belt would be viable instead, for just 10% less damage most of the time.

as for the EVs, max speed to avoid being hit, although priority still hurts, and equal attack and sp. attack to increase the damage from both sides, or a ev spread of 4 attack 252 sp.atk and 252 speed to give 317, 323 and 350 respectively (with a +speed nature).

nature wise, to give it as much speed as possible, while not effecting the attacking stats.
    also i used the serebii stat calculator the for '317, 323, 350' so if its wrong..... i probly didnt do it right xD.

also (this is to serebii) this link( http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml ) is for dp aka diamond and pearl. yet it has gen 5 monsters. i think the page link might need updating.

also as other options (not sure if these were already mentioned)
    -defog could also be an option, in a double battle to help a fellow pokemon, although archeops would rather just attack.
    -outrage is also another option instead of dragon claw/dragon pulse, although staying locks into a move like that is bad, as steel types take little damage, even without defeatist reducing archeops attack, and if ferrothorn comes in. quite a bit of hp will be taken thanks to iron barbs, a 1/8 of hp taken, 4 hits, down to 50%, and archeops would be owned.
    Last edited by LC-Vulpix; 25th February 2013 at 6:23 PM. Reason: put dodging instead of missing...... im crazy like that sometimes
    I have claimed vulpix!

friend code
    3ds: 0018-0281-9763

pm me ur 3ds friend code to make sure it works on pokemon X/Y

Quote Originally Posted by LC-Vulpix View Post
    even if archeops did have fireblast would u rather deal 20 base damage less.... but hit way more often. or just go raw power with a big chance of missing?
    Why do people use Hydro Pump over Surf? 20 - 25 power is actually more then you'd think. Rock Slide vs Stone Edge is another example of this.

Heat wave also only has 90 accuracy. That's not really much compared to Fire Blast's 85.
    -outrage is also another option instead of dragon claw/dragon pulse, although staying locks into a move like that is bad, as steel types take little damage, even without defeatist reducing archeops attack, and if ferrothorn comes in. quite a bit of hp will be taken thanks to iron barbs, a 1/8 of hp taken, 4 hits, down to 50%, and archeops would be owned.
    No. Outrage should never be used on anything other then a dragon type. Those are the only guys who can afford being locked into it, since they get STAB.

I don't think this should even be listed under other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ok. u have a valid point. but (and going off point here) a non dragon-type like.... gyarados would benefit from outrage, if its got a few dragon dances, since the only other physical dragon attack that it has is dragon tail. or pokemon like rampardos, who is a a slow but more powerful glass cannon. outrage isnt just limited to dragon-types.

and since dragon attacks hit for neutral to almost all of the types, (except steel) its 1 of the best, who cares if ur locked into a move for 2-3 turns if u deal huge amounts of damage?

archeops has the raw power to benefit from the 40 extra base power from outrage, (instead of dragon claw). aslong as a stell doesnt swap in (only really seen as either a lead (ferrothorn) or in a rain team (where u probably wouldn't use archeops anyway due to the extra damage it takes)).
    I have claimed vulpix!

friend code

Why do people use Hydro Pump over Surf? 20 - 25 power is actually more then you'd think. Rock Slide vs Stone Edge is another example of this.

Heat wave also only has 90 accuracy. That's not really much compared to Fire Blast's 85.
    Some people really hate the Accuracy thing, though. With imperfect-Accuracy Moves, I, personally, tend to miss more than hit with Offensive Moves than Status Moves of the same Accuracy. Sometimes the RNG is unforgiving. Few people (myself included) would rely on 20 additional Power for even a drop of 5 in the Accuracy because of that...for the most part. Point to Zachmac in regard to Power VS Accuracy.

No. Outrage should never be used on anything other then a dragon type. Those are the only guys who can afford being locked into it, since they get STAB.

Consider the fact that Archeops only has one good shot at anything before getting KO'd and the fact it has zero Ice Type Moves (aside from Hidden Power) to deal with Dragon Types. One good shot from Outrage VS one mediocre shot from Dragon Claw/Pulse...I'm going for broke with Outrage on this one. Likewise why Fire Blast would be an option over Heat Wave on Pokemon that can learn both of them - when you've only got one shot and need to go for broke. Unfortunately, Archeops doesn't get Fire Blast, so Heat Wave is there for Steel Types that shrug off EQ/Earth Power. Point to LC-Vulpix in regard to Move Options.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Consider the fact that Archeops only has one good shot at anything before getting KO'd and the fact it has zero Ice Type Moves (aside from Hidden Power) to deal with Dragon Types. One good shot from Outrage VS one mediocre shot from Dragon Claw/Pulse...I'm going for broke with Outrage on this one. Likewise why Fire Blast would be an option over Heat Wave on Pokemon that can learn both of them - when you've only got one shot and need to go for broke. Unfortunately, Archeops doesn't get Fire Blast, so Heat Wave is there for Steel Types that shrug off EQ/Earth Power. Point to LC-Vulpix in regard to Move Options.
    I might be inclined to agree... were it not for the fact that Archeops' home of the RU tier is home to only one dragon, Druddigon (barring people who use Altaria or NFE Pokemon from the NU tier). This is assuming you're using Archeops in RU, of course, since in higher tiers/double battles where Dragons are more common, there are some very common things that will pick it off outright, or at the very least put it into defeatist range, making it a bit too risky to use (imo). Honestly, unless you're truly concerned about being able to OHKO Druddigon (which does require entry hazard support to guarantee on bulky Druddigons), Outrage isn't really worth using, since being locked into it can be a royal pain for something as frail as Archeops.

Heck, I'd say you don't really need a Dragon Type attack at all. Having neutral coverage on anything barring Steel Types may be nice, but factoring in STAB, Stone Edge and Acrobatics will hit harder on anything that doesn't resist them (which, in the RU tier, would be Steelix, Magneton, and Rhydon), with the exception of Druddigon. And Earthquake/Earth Power will slam those Pokemon that resist both of Archeops' STAB attacks harder than a Dragon Type move ever will. If you're using a Dragon type move on Archeops, it's pretty much specifically for Druddigon.

tl;dr - Only use Outrage on a RU Archeops if you absolutely have to OHKO Druddigon.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 26th February 2013 at 4:14 PM.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    I might be inclined to agree... were it not for the fact that Archeops' home of the RU tier is home to only one dragon, Druddigon (barring people who use Altaria or NFE Pokemon from the NU tier). This is assuming you're using Archeops in RU, of course, since in higher tiers/double battles where Dragons are more common, there are some very common things that will pick it off outright, or at the very least put it into defeatist range, making it a bit too risky to use (imo). Honestly, unless you're truly concerned about being able to OHKO Druddigon (which does require entry hazard support to guarantee on bulky Druddigons), Outrage isn't really worth using, since being locked into it can be a royal pain for something as frail as Archeops.

Heck, I'd say you don't really need a Dragon Type attack at all. Having neutral coverage on anything barring Steel Types may be nice, but factoring in STAB, Stone Edge and Acrobatics will hit harder on anything that doesn't resist them (which, in the RU tier, would be Steelix, Magneton, and Rhydon), with the exception of Druddigon. And Earthquake/Earth Power will slam those Pokemon that resist both of Archeops' STAB attacks harder than a Dragon Type move ever will. If you're using a Dragon type move on Archeops, it's pretty much specifically for Druddigon.

tl;dr - Only use Outrage on a RU Archeops if you absolutely have to OHKO Druddigon.
    if outrage 'isn't' viable, then why would people run dragon claw? if its easier to just use its 2 stab attacks, why would there be a move slot for dragon claw? outrage is still a possible attack move over dragon claw, it just depends what u prefer, whether u would rather hit 40 base higher and be locked into a move (which the choice items do anyway) or have weaker dragon attack but have the freedom of switching attacks. its all down to opinions. and rc52 also agrees with me when he says (Dragon Claw is a weaker, more reliable Outrage alternative, but Outrage is generally better for the role that Archeops fills.).

also i always though heat wave was 95% accuracy (aka a reverse of flamethrower), but i was wrong. i don't mind admitting when i'm actually wrong.
    Last edited by LC-Vulpix; 26th February 2013 at 6:09 PM.
    I have claimed vulpix!

friend code

if outrage 'isn't' viable, then why would people run dragon claw? if its easier to just use its 2 stab attacks, why would there be a move slot for dragon claw? outrage is still a possible attack move over dragon claw, it just depends what u prefer, whether u would rather hit 40 base higher and be locked into a move (which the choice items do anyway) or have weaker dragon attack but have the freedom of switching attacks. its all down to opinions. and rc52 also agrees with me when he says (Dragon Claw is a weaker, more reliable Outrage alternative, but Outrage is generally better for the role that Archeops fills.).
    Most people don't run Dragon Claw, that was the point of the second paragraph; a dragon type attack isn't really necessary in the first place. I wasn't arguing Outrage vs. Dragon Claw, but rather, just whether to use Outrage period. I apologize if that wasn't really clear. Outrage has the niche of potentially OHKO'ing Druddigon, but Dragon Claw/Dragon Pulse doesn't really serve any purpose.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 26th February 2013 at 6:16 PM.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Archeops is a blessed cursed pokemon! It has the highest BST of all prehistoric pokemon including aerodactyl! It has an attack of gods and a speed of gods and very good special attack. It has a good attacking typing and a good enough movepool... Those were it's blessings!

Cursing good pokemon is becoming a ritual... Each generation introduces new pokemon with monster stats but somehow find itself more crippled than a paralyzed luvdisc! However, it seems that this generation was a bit kind to archeops... Defeatist is an ability that cuts your attack and special attack by half when you have lower than half of HP left! Almost a reverse slow start but much better... While regigigas have to wait five agonizing turns to finally wreak havoc, if it was not crippled by then with a status, Archeops have the legit right to unleach whatever attacks it wants before entering the defeatist range! Note that with the aid of it's speed, it will mostly succeed in doing good deals of damage before falling in battle and even under 50% HP it can still use it's speed to set up stealth rocks or other supporting moves. Also it doesn't have that punishement of taking a free hit whenever it attacks like slaking does. Archeops is crippled but not incredibly crippled!

My request for a set
    Don't attack me.... I scare easily!
    Archeops@flying gem
    nature: +ATT/-Sp ATT
    ability: Guess what??
    Moveset:
    -Head smash/ Stone edge/ Rock slide
    -Acrobatics
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth rock/ toxic/ tailwind/ roost/ taunt

We all know the effect of acrobatics and flying gem but head smash has superior power without a gem boost! It comes however with a shaky accuracy and a massive recoil to bite you... And seeing archeops's bad defenses, means that you will get close to defeatist range. That's why stone edge is for me the best option here as it comes with slightly more accuracy and no recoil! However a severe power drop! Rock slide if you are really unlucky with stone edge and hate it so much! Earthquake rouds up the coverage by hitting steel types most importantly!
    Once on the defeatist range, use you intact speed to set up whatever you need the most... Stealth rock is the most reliable entry hazard in the game to do some residual damage and breaking sashes. Tailwind can support your next pokemon by boosting it's speed. Toxic will take down any sturdy wall lacking heal bell or aromatherapy. taunt will keep opponent from setting up on a weak archeops or using any non damaging move such as recover or slack off. Roost will bring you up to you full power but it is merely situational as it only work on an opponent that lacks SE attacks or any attack whatsoever because every attack will bring back down to the defeatist range. Roost however will get you rid of your rock, ice and electric weakness meaning that you survive these moves better after using it! SITUATIONAL.

All in all, archeops is a deadly pokemon... Not a good sight when it comes out! But very easy to play around it's power using it's vast amount of weaknesses and bad defenses to get it down... But keeping it from dealing a lot of damage the first turn is very hard. Note: don't let you physical archeops get burned because it really suck to get an early defeatist... When it is under 50% HP don't let it get paralyzed... Coming to think about it, paralysis is bad all way long!

also i always though heat wave was 95% accuracy (aka a reverse of flamethrower), but i was wrong. i don't mind admitting when i'm actually wrong.
    outrage has that nasty effect of that you are stuck outraging for the turns, but dragon claw lets you switch.

This week we have everybody's favourite fossil Pokémon... nah, for me Kabutops and Carracosta have a place in my heart.

Ability Compendium:
    Defeatist: Halves the user's Attack and Special Attack stat when its HP is at or less than half of its maximum.
    Shame that's the only ability available for Archeops.
    Another overpowered Pokémon with an Ability with a negative effect, like Truant Slaking and Durant (though the ant has better abilities) and Slow Start Regigigas.
    This ability is the reason I use Carracosta instead of Archeops.

Pros:
    Awesomesauce Attack (140)
    Good Special Attack (112) and Speed (110)
    Resists Bug, Fire, Flying, Normal and Poison-type moves, two of them are pretty common
    Immunity to the ever common Ground-type moves, except Sand-attack, which nodoby uses anyway
    Immune to both forms of Spikes
    Immune to Sandstorm

Cons:
    Archeops's (only) ability makes Archeops slightly better than Slaking and Regigigas.
    Crappy defenses, which are worse considering Defeatist is super easy to activate.
    A significant number of weaknesses including Electric, Ice, Rock, Steel and Water and all of them besides Steel are common
    Stealth Rock weakness
    Weak to most priority moves

Defeat the enemy before the enemy Defeatistes you!
    @Flying Gem
    Ability: Defeatist (duh)
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
    IVs: Archeops's max HP should be odd for obvious reasons
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Acrobatics
    Earthquake
    <insert a fourth move>
    For your Rock-STAB, you should consider either Stone Edge or Rock Slide, the first has high power but it's shaky accuracy will make Defeatist being activated easier, while Rock Slide uses Archeops's high Speed to his advantage.
    Head Smash shouldn't be ever considered since the recoil may and will activate Defeatist sooner or later.
    The Flying-STAB must be Acrobatics paired with a Flying Gem, the item is consumed before damage calculation, making the first hit a super powerful one (330 BP paired with 140 Base Attack) unless your opponent resists the move. After the first hit, Acrobatics has 165 BP.
    Earthquake has good coverage with Stone Edge/Rock Slide.
    For the fourth move...
    Aqua Tail gets some coverage, but the imperfect accuracy can hurt sometimes.
    Crunch is a nice coverage move and has a nice attack power and effect to be useful...
    Dragon Claw/Outrage have awesome neutral coverage but don't get STAB.
    Endeavor if you/your opponent manage to reduce Archeops's HP to critical levels however priority moves will destroy Archeops before you know that.
    Quick Attack gets priority.
    Roost temporarily removes Defeatist however Archeops is too frail to use that move effectively.
    Shadow Claw can score critical hits easier.
    Steel Wing can incerase your defense but special moves will put an end to your plans.
    Thrash for... being locked into using that move and confusing you after 2-3 turns... I guess...
    U-turn to get the freak out of a tough situation but Stealth Rock won't allow you to use that move freely.
    Special moves like Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast, Heat Wave, Hidden Power and Uproar can also be considered due to Archeops's nice Special Attack.

How to have a field day with Archeops:

Protect Archeops's HP and avoid Defeatist's activation at all costs unless you are using Endeavor.
    Bring a Rapid Spinner or two to remove Stealth Rock.
    Be faster than your opponent since a single neutral move can shave a great amount of HP.

How to ruin Archeops's field day:

Bring Archeops's HP to the yellow ASAP being with either passive damage or strong offensive moves.
    Apply two (if your opponent is a noob) or three doses (switch-ins) of Stealth Rock in order to activate Defeatist.
    Protect your pointy rocks with a Ghost-type Pokémon in order to prevent Rapid Spin (from another member of your opponent's team) from being used, that way Archeops has a hard time being sent out.
    Last edited by Star Champion AJ; 1st March 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Mixed Attacker
    Rash/Mild
    252 A / 252 SA / 4 Spd
    Flying Gem
    Unburden

-Acrobatics
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Earthquake
    -Heat Wave/Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast/Earthquake

Acrobatics doubles your speed into the 500s, easily outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. Stone Edge is nice STAB but has risky accuracy. Rock Slide is a more safe option with a welcome chance to flinch your opponent. Heat Wave greatly assists your coverage and although it can miss, Archeops doesn't get Flamethrower. Dragon Pulse deals with the ever-present Druddigon while also giving it great neutral coverage. Focus Blast deals with Rock types that would otherwise cripple. Earthquake has perfect accuracy and deals with three of Archeop's weaknesses, also granting it the sacred EdgeQuake combo.
    Last edited by Wintendo; 1st March 2013 at 2:26 PM.
    Clauncher, Vivillon, Chespin... Here it comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintendo View Post
    Mixed Attacker
    Rash/Mild
    252 A / 252 SA / 4 Spd
    Flying Gem
    Unburden

-Acrobatics
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Earthquake
    -Heat Wave/Dragon Pulse
    -Focus Blast/Earthquake

Acrobatics doubles your speed into the 500s, easily outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. Stone Edge is nice STAB but has risky accuracy. Rock Slide is a more safe option with a welcome chance to flinch your opponent. Heat Wave greatly assists your coverage and although it can miss, Archeops doesn't get Flamethrower. Dragon Pulse deals with the ever-present Druddigon while also giving it great neutral coverage. Focus Blast deals with Rock types that would otherwise cripple. Earthquake has perfect accuracy and deals with three of Archeop's weaknesses, also granting it the sacred EdgeQuake combo.
    ...Color me confused, but Archeops does not get Unburden.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    ...Color me confused, but Archeops does not get Unburden.
    You're right, since last time I checked, Archeops has only Defeatist.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

All-Physical
    Item: Leftovers/Flying Gem
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    Acrobatics/Aerial Ace
    Bulldoze/Earthquake
    Endeavor

All-Special
    Item: Leftovers
    Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Ancientpower
    HP [Flying]
    Earth Power/Focus Blast
    Heat Wave/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast

Partners
    Tailwind-users
    Heal Pulse-users
    Follow Me/Rage Powder-users

Countering
    High Defense with Electric/Water/Ice/Rock/Steel-type moves like Aggron, Probopass, Thunderpunch Dusknoir, Carracosta, Ferrothorn, Golem, Metagross, Rhyperior, Gigalith, Omastar, Thunder Fang Gliscor/Donphan/Hippowdon, Kingler, Magnezone, Tyranitar, Wash Rotom, Huntail, Gorebyss, Escavaleir, Feraligatr, or Bisharp.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12