Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a Pokemon better off not being caught if it rarely gets used?

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    It's not worth it just to have it exist. It's tough saying this too, since Iris and Cilan should logically get more Pokemon like their counterparts, but their Pokemon don't always do anything. Ash's use of Pokemon has improved with season 2, I think, but Palpitoad is still irrelevant.
    Yeah I don't think anyone should get a capture if they weren't even used. It always baffled me why in Kanto Ash immediately oaked or released his 6 instead of keeping it open.

Meh this is opinionative... For starters, if a pokemon is caught, it not only creates episode storylines but It advertises pokemon the writers would like to show more, and lets us enjoy their appearances, like everyone gets pumped when palpi makes an appearance, so I guess it makes us like them more

If they aren't caught, the pokemon in general isn't shown nearly as much... For example: klang hasn't even been shown I believe, so many people forget about the species in general. But what's the point of showing pokemon without some sort of interaction? If there's no battle/development there's no point for it to be shown.
    I'm kind of neutral, but id rather a pokemon be caught and used less then not caught at all, unless I just hate a certain pokemon or ash has too many
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

I think Ash just needs to start catching stronger Pokémon. To many of Ash's Pokémon are only marketable as baby form so if they started to give him stronger Pokémon in later forms he would be able to rotate them more easy. Sniv should of been a power house this gen from the start it was shown to be a power house then she like died.... Then you have the Regional birds unless they are going to be Staraptor type pokemon with 2 base 120 Moves they need 2 have a 2nd type.. Normal/Flying is OLD they need like a Dragon Flying Water Flying some Element / Flaying and it would be used more because flying/normal is just to plain normal.... Someone said before a problem is that they share types I also see that as a huge problem if we know ash we know its Pikachu Flying pokemon and WGF so after those 5 slots he needs 2 get nothing but really strong pokemon if we have any chance of him rotating them and they also must be marketable if he had a Lucario Salamance and Metagross trust me there would not of been a problem in him rotating them at all...

Terrible. The AG and DP approach was the best towards Ash's teams because even though one tended to be shafted (like Torkoal) it still had it moments and the team developed nicely.

The BW team will probably go down in history as one of Ash's absolute worst teams of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Terrible. The AG and DP approach was the best towards Ash's teams because even though one tended to be shafted (like Torkoal) it still had it moments and the team developed nicely.

The BW team will probably go down in history as one of Ash's absolute worst teams of the series.
    Along with his Johto team right? xD

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Along with his Johto team right? xD
    Heracross was the one good thing that came from his johto team -.- and he oaked it before the region was over so he could use a phanpy. Stupid marketing..

yes I think that that was the problem with many captures. They were afraid of rotating for some reason. Releases are even worse especially when Ash's Primeape only appeared like twice before given away to train. Back then I was against Palpitoad's capture because I thought it was a hideous blob of toad but then it grew on me. Now I think it would have been better for him to not get caught as he is horribly shafted, it's not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Heracross was the one good thing that came from his johto team -.- and he oaked it before the region was over so he could use a phanpy. Stupid marketing..
    Phanpy had nothing to do with it, it was caught near the second to last gym of all things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I think every Pokemon in Ash's team had a pretty clear personality in the episodes they were caught in, except Pidove. But she was more randomly caught like Starly. They just didn't really expand on some of them.
    really? you think roggenrolla and palpitoad had clear personaltities? then please describe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    really? you think roggenrolla and palpitoad had clear personaltities? then please describe them.
    Roggenrola was very energetic and jumpy, a very hyperactive personality and voice. Gamagaru was quite an aggressive boss-like Pokemon in his debut, even commanding Stunfisk the school of Tympole to get rid of Ash like a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Roggenrola was very energetic and jumpy, a very hyperactive personality and voice. Gamagaru was quite an aggressive boss-like Pokemon in his debut, even commanding Stunfisk the school of Tympole to get rid of Ash like a villain.
    But they didn't keep to either of those personalities outside of a debut so it's irrelevant the point i was trying to make was that each character long before its caught should have it's personalty direction clarrified a personality that is shown in all its episodes of the reserves only leavannny imo showed any personality clarity or any emotional growth. Besides which even those personalities are defined enough.Plapitoad may have been aggresive but there is no indication as to why it was aggressive or why it was a boss and as for roggenrolla i don't think it was particually jumpy, energetic or hyperactive all three are questionable as they were not clearly seen.

*I hate to make an anime - manga comparison but anyway:* Characters in the manga just catch an insane amount of Pokemon and most of them are never used. At least every single Pokemon Ash has get SOME spot light. I really don't care that much for Pokemon development in the end. It's cool to see him catch more Pokemon, it's cool to have more variety in what he uses during a reason, which makes things harder to predict. It's more game like. I don't give equal use all the Pokemon I catch/breed in the games. Some I've only used in like 1 or 2 battles which I've trained like more than a year ago. Sure it'd be nicer to see Pokemon used more equally but this really isn't the end of the world and I'm not sure whether the writers even feel obligated to do so, they never have. It's just more apparent now because the saga is shorter and the team much bigger. My boys Torkoal and Torterra got jack **** and these were the highest praised sagas Pokemon wise. I really can't afford to complain after those two insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    But they didn't keep to either of those personalities outside of a debut so it's irrelevant the point i was trying to make was that each character long before its caught should have it's personalty direction clarrified a personality that is shown in all its episodes of the reserves only leavannny imo showed any personality clarity or any emotional growth. Besides which even those personalities are defined enough.Plapitoad may have been aggresive but there is no indication as to why it was aggressive or why it was a boss and as for roggenrolla i don't think it was particually jumpy, energetic or hyperactive all three are questionable as they were not clearly seen.
    That's why I said IN THE EPISODES THEY WERE CAUGHT IN. And then added that they just didn't expand on them.
    Last edited by Rohanator; 27th February 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    XY group / Amourshipping Christmas fan comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/1061...-were-a-bit-of

My art: http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

I totally agree. If in DP he had rotated a team of 7 that would have been ideal for me.
    On Team:,:656:,:661:.

Oak's Lab: x30
    ()
    In Training:
    Released:

Advice to the writers for the 6th Gen:
    1. Give a fair distribution of screentime and battles- No Pika-Hogging.
    2. Give Ash as many Pokemon as you will bother with, and no more.
    3. Evolution is nothing to be scared of. Especially evolve Starters, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Phanpy had nothing to do with it, it was caught near the second to last gym of all things as well.
    whatevz bulbasaur then

If Ash was to catch all of the pokemon in the world, he wouldn't be able to use all of them all the time especially if Pikachu always holds a spot in the slot.

Why shouldn't Ash catch certain pokemon just because certain people think it isn't being used as much as some other pokemon he uses? I mean who gave us that authority to critisize trainers for being able to catch as many pokemon as they want? If other trainers like Gary who use to catch more pokemon they he did back in Kanto, Ash should be able to catch as many as he wants without anyone saying that he needs to either release it or give it to someone else just because they feel it isn't being used as much as it should have. I mean it really isn't fair when you think about it.

My ideal battle ever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12